Sketchbook: Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings - Page 8

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks

1st & 2nd of June 2012

Photoshop doodle and update on fairy ( -_-;; ) chick. Then jut sketchbook doodles from the train and other places. Tried cartooning by turning photo faces to exaggerated heads, didnt turn out too well but it was fun..

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

5th June 2012

Uggh okay finally over sickness, hated that, probs would of gotten better faster if i actually rested. What ever.. So I did revision of anatomy, started bloodsports, finished the fairy thing, or atleast gave up lol, theres also my traditional landscape i have been working on for the last couple of weeks here and there.

Thanks for stopping by, longest I've gone without an update lol.

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Jaik, thanks for the praise! You, deserve it too your paintings looking better and better, the Tiger, Venice, and that damn Figure drawing is damn good! how long it take? last updates showing progress, i really like the feet & legs.
    Go Jaik Go!

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

Thanks

6th June 2012

Eclip-se: Hehe I love it when you drop by, motivation plus! lol. The figure drawing (I assume you mean the one with the spear) probably took 6hrs all up, spread over a few days, was a PITA working that big though o.o

--

Today I did some Hogarth, then an armour study for my bloodsports (~3hrs) and a face (~1.5-2hr)

Thanks
    Looks like you're working hard

The feet study looks good and the bodies below have improved construction. Keep at it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks

7th June 2012

WRappiii: Thanks a lot!

--

Muscle of the day today is the deltoid, and a study in the way of Mucha, trying to work out what makes his style look.. Mucha-ish >.>

Thanks
    Still life, finish of the mucha study and I had much more of the bloodpsorts to show except photoshop fell over after 4hrs and i hadnt saved a thing.. pretty much hate life.. though it is now a lesson learnt.. I guess...

Thanks

11th June 2012

Bloodpsorts update, cbf uploading my anatomy studies, scanning takes too long =/

Thanks

12th and 13th June 2012

Bloodsports update (dont think I'll get it done in time) and an attempt at converting faces to line drawings, half are from Loomis, half from photos.
    Also an hour or so sketch, not really happy with it.

Thanks

14th 15th and 16th of June

Been mostly working in my skecthbook, and i cant be bothered scanning. Also pushed an enviro as far as I could, it took a loooong time, need crits bad. So thats all Im posting today, hopefully I can post some more later. Or maybe I should just stop being lazy and scan my sketchbook...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

18th June 2012

Imagination piece, building it up using shapes isntead of line work.
    Portrait stuff, first was using a different palette for mixing, sycras method, i forget what its called, then was a quick portrait using the RGB sliders instead of the color picker window (much harder to get the right colours), third was done upside down, so thats why 1 eye was bigger than the other and I didnt notice, colours were chosen again with the RGB sliders.. so rough

Thanks

19th June 2012

Portrait day

Thanks
    Very creative and brave choices of things to paint! Keep on plowing through them. I really like that last environment painting, just remember to have areas thats are further away to be less saturated then the stuff closer to the eye. Also try adding some atmosphere over the stuff furthest to the back. Like a soft brush to add some clouds. But bearly visible clouds. Keep up the good work and keep on those anatomy studies as well!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're making progress! nice lighting in the last one

19. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great progress, I think something that would really help you is to do detailed human skull studies. I noticed in pretty much all your recent paintings/drawings the proportion of your heads are off.
    Studying the skull gives you a better visual idea of what's going on in there.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to liquorbleu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

End of June

Sorry havent updated this in a while, I have been sick, very very sick, never been that sick before lol. Bed ridden, I thought that was just what Mums did to their kids to scare them off lying about being sick for school. But no, I was actually stuck in bed for 5 days without being able to sit up, so no drawing =/ I'm better now though, still sounds like one of the 7 lords of hell is trying to escape from my chest when I cough but should be fine.

Joe777k7 Thanks for the motivation Joe I did rework that enviro a little before I got sick tell me what you think.

WRappiii Thanks man

liquorbleu I shall definitely do that, I appreciate the crit, I need to get a model skull from somewhere.. wish they were easier to find here...

Ok so I did this free hand which is why one side looks like its sinking into the earth, my lines are fairly straight, but definitely not parallel.

Now I am trying to push my understanding of value in environments because I think thats my weakness.. No idea why I find it so hard =/

And my 'update' of my last enviro, fixed some of the waterfalls, and a really poor attempt at pushing some of the far values back, this was when I started to get sick so I gave up pretty soon lol.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice value studies! They look sweet. The enviro looks alot better now color wise. I would try out some cloud brushes in photo shop and lightly try pushing the atmosphere a little more. Do some more enviro's like that and im sure they will rock!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks

2nd July 2012

Thanks Joe! I think I'll have to practice with some cloud brushes, my clouds normally consist of the soft round and hard round default brushes lol.

--

Worked yesterday then spent 4-5hrs on this last night, need to add more but I'm okay with how its looking for now.

Thanks

3rd July 2012

Took liquorbleu's advice and did some skull studies, need to haul out more loomis and hogarth, again. And an enviro in pencil, I dont usually do pencil enviros but I thought it might be worth a try and see if I can get the atmospheric perspective working, I might also try and digitise this to colour sometime soon.

Thanks
    great to see your sketchbook has so much practice in it! you look to be doing the right practices so just keep at it!

Thanks
    Good work happening here. Only comment that I have to say is that you digital colouring seems really smooth. You may want to loosen yourself up. Stay loose and tight all at the same time. Just keep practising. And keep up the anatomy studies. They're always good for you.

Anyways can't wait to see some more. Good luck at school!

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Alot new stuff! well, #217 #220 #226 B&W Enviros, are really cooooool continue doing the skull!

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

Thanks

4th July 2012

Thanks for stopping by Kevin

My57: Thanks for the kind words, I tried to make these sketches a bit more textured/less digital looking, but I dont think it worked. Ill try again next time though!

Eclip-se hehe thanks man

---

Okay I tired monster/demon thumbnails for the first time (im pretty sure) a couple of nights ago, posting it now not because it got better but because I tried again and they came out a bit better (or atleast I think so), and even rendered them somewhat. Just proof to keep trying, again and again.

Attempt #1:

Attempt #2:

Thanks
    Woa! Epic job on that last post!! I like your work process and your final choiceof three different color schemes in the end. Sweet!!!

Thanks

5th July 2012

Thanks Joe!

--

First time ever taking a sketch to digital, was actually really fun.
    So today I have for you, Poke-Pin-Up Pikachu... Going to go to colour next

Thanks
    hahaa great idea, certain areas people usually mess up on you got nailed for this one. Two problem areas i see.
    1. The hands: Not too much of a problem but something just doesnt look right, i would explore some new ways of adding the hands.
    2. The head: i would try flipping the whole canvas to get a new perspective of the face and begin to correct some of the proportions on the face.
    Mostly,
    I think its just the face that needs some work, everything else is really solid so i think you should keep at it with this one, its worth finishing i'd say

I think its mostly that the left side of the face is showing too much. Check out my sketchbook for some plane mapping of the human head. I got some cool 3/4th views in there

Thanks
    nice job!! I was happy to see you did those skull studies - remember. it's important when studying to try to practice stuff from memory too so you don't ONLY train yourself to copy the picture.

It reminded me - looking at those reptile creatures. It can sometimes be a fun exercise to paint real reptiles, creatures, etc. And then take the texture you learn to paint from studying their skin and apply it to your creature stuff - or even random things.

Cheers!

Thanks

6th July 2012

Joe: Thanks for that, you were totally right, about the face, last night I was happy with it and today when I loaded it up after seeing your crit, she looked like a bug eyed beast, so I fixed up the face. Thanks! (The hands I fixed a bit while colouring too)

liquorbleu: You have a lot of good suggestions, I think I'm going to do a couple of lizard studies, maybe a few frogs, then do another set of thumbs and see if that improves. Thanks

--

And this is the finished Poke Pin-Up: Pikachu (or atleast as finished as its going to get). The face looks better zoomed in to about 3x normal view, and I cant work out why.. Does anyone else find this with their works?

Also did some enviro thumbs, took me like 20min.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

7th & 8th July 2012

Update for yesterday and today.
    Wont be able to update for a week as I am going to a workshop in the city for the next 5 days.. which means train leaves 7am and I dont get back home until 9pm, so going to be verrryyyy tired lol.. But should be good fun May have some oil paintings to show for it.

Skull studies, last 2 are from memory and some thumbnails that really didnt scan well.. oh well.

Two WIPs that I may or may not finish, an enviro from my head and a portrait study (I know the mouth is too small and the cheeks arent properly formed, but other than that crits would be appreciated (: )

Thanks

14th July 2012

Well that was an interesting week, made me so tired, those sort of hours are a pain. Learnt a bit, tried some oil painting etc, learnt more about colour theory. Nothing really to show for it, I'll be picking up the exercises I did next saturday as they were still wet with oil paint. But it was mostly theory so nothing really exciting to show.
    All I have is my guerilla sketching from the train there and back every day, I think I see an improvement as the week progressed but maybe I'm just imagining it.
    A portrait I did yesterday too, and an enviro trying to use photo textures, was a tad painful lol.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3