Sketchbook: Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress across the board. You're getting better at improvising enviros

My Sketchbook - All are welcome
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10th May 2012

IntoTheVoid: Hehe thanks man :3

--

Not much, finished portrait, kinda disappointed in the likeness field, but atleast it looks like skin tones. And a 30-40min mess around before bed.

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

11th and 12th May 2012

Bunch of sketches and gestures from my drawing class, sorry for crummy pics, if it wasnt for the fact that I didnt really have much to show I wouldnt have put em up, but meh, hopefully it shows what I am doing under the tutelage of David Briggs 1 and 6 min gestures mixed

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

13th May 2012

Hey all,
    Did some traditional painting but its still too dark to take a pic of it so I will show it when it is done, same with the long figure drawing study I started.

Digitally I have a perspective elevation, I really felt like I rushed this one, and I want to try and do it in 2-point perspective, so I will redo it sometime soon.
    Enviro from my head (WIP) and 2 20min studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job! keep practicing!

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job man, your studying hard and it's paying off, definitely going in the right direction just keep it up .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, that building is awesome!

Don't forget your atmospheric perspective to add some depth to your enviros

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14th May 2012

Thankyou very much Poetry Man

Will123will: I'm glad it is showing, I think everyone worries that they are going around in circles, comments like these make my days that much better

Lyriana: Thanks! And yeah.. Atmospheric Perspective is something i really have to watch, tried pushing it a bit more, but it sort of didnt work on this one.. next one then!

--

Got bored with this enviro, about 2hrs all up I'm sad to say... and the portrait is mostly from imagination, but little bits here and there for reference. Also did some more traditional painting, but I'll only post that when its finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15th May 2012

Have a house inspection on thurs, so im mostly cleaning and playing a bit of good ol' diablo 3 in between cleaning and drawing. Fun Fun

This is the exercise I do most mornings for ellipses, when I have more time I think Ill create a couple of different degree grids aswell, if i need them.. not sure. Does the degree of the ellipse change enough on this? maybe Ill somehow make a vertical one. Anyway, its helping with my ellipses, very slowly lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much all traditional work today which i cbf to scan, did finish that portrait though, kind of boring but meh, I learnt a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portrait looks nice
    The nose might be a bit long though, like she's looking up to us, more than her body suggests.
    And maybe add some lose strands of hair around the face/head next time to break the shape of the hair a bit, like you did on the lower part..
    Good to hear you learnt a lot, that's the goal, right
    I like the eye!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work so far. I'm going to say keep doing lots of fast pencil sketches, it gives you a solid foundation for when you go on to other media like digital or paint, but you need that solid grounding first.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

18th May 2012

Lyraina: Yeah you are right, now that I look at it the nose is too long, and i see what you mean bout the hair, looks like a lump of clay.
    Thanks for stopping by Your advice is always appreciated!

The_Flying_Dutchman: I keep doing sketches in my sketchbook but alot of it is just scribbles not worth uploading, thought looking at your sketchbook the fluidity you have in your lines is something I can only hope to one day emulate. Thanks for visiting

--

Today I worked, but I had some spare time at work so I did face gestures.. Never done them before but its something I've seen in a lot of people SBs without realising what they were. Focusing more on placement of the features than on the features themselves.
    Also did a tiger for a piece I'm about to start working on, just studying the tigers forms trying to get some hints of anatomy. Only really halfway though will continue soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet tiger! And I like where you've placed it too; appears to be a swamp of sorts. Check the hind legs in your references though - I can't imagine a tiger ever taking such an uncomfortable pose.
    And generally speaking with quadrupeds: if their hind legs are spread, then their front legs will be spread as well (even if not necessarily vice versa).

Nice faces. Don't forget about the skull that's underneath

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

18th May 2012

IntoTheVoid: Thanks mang. Oddly enough the tiger was posed exactly like that, i thought it was awkward too, but i think it was moving onto the rock for a show (as the pic was from a zoo). Not sure, but I agree with you, when I do an actual tiger it will be much more dynamic

--

Weird time to update, had my class today and spent alot of time on the train, so i have traditional work, but thatll wait till tomorrow morning when I can be bothered to scan. Today Ill just update my tiger and teh beginning of a master study, my first serious attempt at one, already learnt alot. Bougeauraueaureau's Dante and Virgil in Hell, about 2hrs on that little guy.. sigh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice!
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

19th May 2012

Thankyou for visiting Yishubanoy!

--

Tiger Gestures (about 5min each) and train drawings. My train faces are starting too look less like slightly deformed default loomis faces, though people dont sit still!
    Ill take pics of my class gestures when it is light in a couple of hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

20th May 2012

Finally finished that damn figure drawing, still stuck on the painting, but atleast one of my bigger works is done (it doesnt look like much but it too me houuuurrrrrsss =/).
    Update on master study and hogarth noses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

21st May 2012

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

22nd May 2012

Not a lot. Perspective study trying to 'imply' details.. which I sort of just felt like I was being lazy and scribbling.. doesnt look great but it may be a step in the right direction if I am doing it correctly..
    Then thumbnails, which suck and are generic but I want to see if maybe they improve over time like everything else if I practice them enough. I hope so...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

23rd May 2012

Tried to do the still life once, and failed at circles in perspective, so I drew up another grid and did it over and over, then tried again and somewhat succeeded, so i guess practice does work :3
    Thumbnail challenge today was "Steampunk Underground Vehicles", random design brief generator ftw
    And an enviro which I realised I screwed up the lighting on so gave up after about 2hrs =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaik View Post
    Not a lot. Perspective study trying to 'imply' details.. which I sort of just felt like I was being lazy and scribbling...
    If I'm not mistaken, what you're referring to is texture, right? Something I hadn't realized until recently that may also help you, is to think of texture in terms of light and shadow. Don't think about implying the little bumps on the rock's surface to make these patterns - think instead of implying the light that hits the rock and the shadows that pop up.

In any case that's a very pleasant color scheme. You managed to capture plenty of charm with that study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Void: Thanks for that advice, I'll try thinking like that on the next one and see if it makes me feel less lazy lol.

--

Faces, which sadly took me about 40min each.. sad..
    And a illustration I'm working on, about 3hrs so far. Its the first pose I've made up from imagination without using reference, well, I used like 3 poses as reference and Frankenstein's Monster'd it together, but close to made up lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I take way too long with faces too. 40 minutes on a face would be a good day for me

That last pose turned out great! Before you get too far though you should check your perspective again. She's either a giant or that hut is tiny

I would guess the horizon line here is around halfway up the hut's door, yes? How tall is the woman then? Suppose she were standing at the door, would her head be just about at the horizon line? No matter how close she gets to the camera, she will always intersect the horizon at the same spot (as long as the ground is level). Always. In this case the ground isn't level, since you also have some stairs leading down, so she would be proportionately lower than where she would otherwise intersect the horizon.

I haven't measured any of it but think at this perspective, her head should only reach up to her hips.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

27th May 2012

Void: Thanks for the kind words. You are totally right about the scaling.. Time to pull out the good ol' Loomis and sort that mess out. I did try but failed, I think I want to make the hut bigger but it messes with the composition I wanted -_-

--

Wow probably the longest I havent updated ever.. 3 whole days. I have been sick, then I went out on the weekend, and spent Sunday being self-inflicted sick. I did more than this but a) I cant find it or b) I failed and ended up going backwards. First bits are train sketches from Saturdays train ride. Its strangely difficult doing straight lines on a train...
    Then another character piece I'm really into at the moment... Really gotta get back on my last character.. and the master study.. -___- really need to learn to finish stuff..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kind of a weak update, spent all my time on the chick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uggh, 2nd time I'm sick in as many weeks, never slept for 18hrs and still been tired...
    Tried to continue with the character which as I am updating now I realise is a fairy.. I have spent 3 days drawing a fairy.. I feel tough... >.>
    Then a 1hr maybe? sketch i did because I couldnt concentrate anymore before bed and was doped up on cold and flu tablets. Wanted to keep it fairly loose, if anyone can guess who it is they get a cookie. Not that I hold out much hope of a likeness.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

30th May 2012

Another small one. Material sphere trying to look like studed leather, failed miserably.. Anyone have any tips on rendering leather?
    Also tried about 7 hand poses, trying to make a directly symmetrical head on pose look dynamic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

31st May 2012

Work, work..

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5