Sketchbook: Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

31st March 2012

Not a lot for today, just some anatomy studies.

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you're still going strong, I especially like your last enviro. Keep up the good work

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1st of April

Thanks Hunin Glad to see that you are back too.

--

Today is a still life, update on my CoW which I am no longer happy with, i really need to practice values more.. 20min enviro reffed and a self portrait, which took 2 hrs.. 2 hrs of staring at yourself in a mirror = hell... was at a wierd angle so things are kind of funny lookin, or maybe thats just my face...

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2nd April 2012

Had 10min before work to do some thumbs, then spent the night making one an actual design, perspectives off on the head view, but values arent too bad this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3rd and the 4th of April

Didnt get a chance to update yesterday because I headed into the city to go look at an art school. Julian Ashtons looks very cool, very classic, I think I will do a few classes there over the next couple of months.

So I did a fair bit of perspective and some anatomy on the 3rd, and spent some time drawing in the city while I was there, drawing outside is rather fun :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. Keep up the hard work. I hope you'll enjoy your art classes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CarbonBased For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6th April 2012

Not a heap, did a fair few pages of some freehand ellipse practice but not worth the time to upload, did the same amount of straight line practice, but I'll only upload one, I think my lines have gotten straighter and more accurate, but not 100% sure lol. Also did perspective and value practice in photoshop, as well as some thumbs before work, nothing that struck my eye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh boy! i am proud of you, dont fucking stop. gogo!

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eclip-se For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6th April 2012

CarbonBased, Thanks! I hope I will, uni was a disappointment so actual art classes are hopefully going to be my saving grace.

eclip-se Thankyou! n.n I will try harder so that I continue to make you proud

--

Really concentrated on values today, did some worksheet i found on the internet, then some cubes.
    Did 1 still life over about 1.5hrs then tried another didn't get it done so I will finish it at the same time tomorrow.

Thanks for viewing :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7th April 2012

Sigh pathetic attempt today.. didnt do much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8th April 2012

Again not much, sorry about the lack of content..
    Feet from life too, I'm struggling with the elongated version, just looks like a bunch of bumps on a line, any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9th Feb 2012

sighhhh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The excellent invoice of mountains, give in color!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Step For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work, the sighs r neccesary haha, bit of wat we all go through keep it up!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10th April 2012

Haha thanks Step! Workin on it.

A Faux Yeah feeling alot more sighs lately.. not fun but gotta work through it

--

Went into the city today so i didnt draw as much as I wanted to, got a quick couple of sketches in, went to the library found a book on Christian architecture, think im going to study that for a bit to practice perspective.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Whats up!

Hey nice sketchbook so far! Keep up the good work!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

11th April 2012

Thanks Joe I will do my best

--
    Today I tried to practice more complicated perspective, it failed in a big heap because i forgot which lines were which :3 and then I did a simple half house with bricks..

Thanks for looking

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hola!

Perspective perspective perspective, i remember hours and hours of training on stuff like this. I still have to get back into it myself, can never have enough training in that area, i like to use marker paper( for a smooth sliding surface) and sketch with a prismacolor pen and make all kinds of weird shapes. Drawing with a pen can be tricky but it teaches you not to mess up and therefor in the end you start to save a lot of time which is very important in this field. Remember to try and not use a ruler sometimes, its also very rewarding to not have to rely on one. Keep going!!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joe: Haha yeah, its boring as hell but I'm sure it will pay dividends later on in drawing, fundamentals take soo long to learn lol. I practice free hand often, its just when I really want to push the accuracy that I use drawing tools. So most of the time while learning

--

Today I did perspective from Loomis' Successful Drawing, should be good for teaching myself the stuff I need to make the next leap.
    Then I got bored and tried my hand at comic/cartoon stuff, a scene from a documentary I watched (only half done). It's surprisingly hard to distil features from an animal into a simplified form

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

13th April 2012

More perspective and a late night scribble coz i couldnt sleep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive progress, you've been really busy!

Glad you got a hold of Loomis' book, it's pretty difficult, right? (I really struggled when it came to drawing those blimp-like objects, just didn't know how to scale down the outer ellipses, if you get what I mean?) I also found that his explanations aren't very thorough, but still, it is a challenging and useful book- plus you seem to have a pretty solid grounding in perspective before you approached it. I like the way your cup and saucer turned out.

Your lines are very clean and you seem to have a good grasp on it all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thar man, well done on doing so many studies, for constructing them though use keystones such as the shoulder line and hip line (draw in the angle) and use large gestural strokes and work it from there. You can get the overall anatomy down much easier with that base and it will have a lot more life. Keep going man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice going with your sketchbook. Your [everything] is coming along very nicely. Great job on updating so frequently too.

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14th 15th and 16th of April

Hunin: Yeah, he keeps refering to Norlings book in all of his books when he mentions perspective, so I assumed Norling would be more comprehensive and harder.. wrong. This is rough and I really struggle doing a perfect cube I know exactly what you mean about the blimp thing lol. Thankyou for dropping by

TFSean Gestures and the whole flowy lines is still something I very much struggle with.. I just cant get it lol. But I will try this keystone approach and see how that turns out. Thanks

Hehe, Thanks IntoTheVoid I feel like this update is definitely a disappointment though >.<

Had a pretty big weekend and needed to be social for a couple of days, seeing as I want to really get stuck back into it after my art classes start to get the most out of what I pay for so thought I'de see my friends this week before becoming a recluse lol.
    So hardly anything

Perspective drawing from a picture, I think I need to find more simplified scenes.. this one killed me and I couldnt finish it due to lack of knowledge.. and I did it too small lol

Perspective drawing of a castle thing I want to put into an enviro soon, might polish it up a bit still

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

17th April 2012

Struggling with rocks, oh so struggling... and with values..
    Ahwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

18th April 2012

Hello all,

Today I spent most of my time on this bloody study trying to get it right, still didnt get it right, but its the furthest I have pushed a study.

And I am designing a Tattoo for a friend, so i did some compositional thumbs and some characters with the sort of style he was after, waiting to hear back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The value study is cool. Most of it is looking pretty solid; just a couple spots where it doesn't make sense. Like her right cheek (our left) is caving in, and the sternomastoid muscle is taking a detour around the neck instead of attaching under the ear. Her right boob also appears to be melting into the bra.
    I know you're copying what you see, but if what you see doesn't make sense, it's often safer to instead go with what you know.

Also, when it comes to hair: less is more. Though I never got it looking right myself, it's better to use solid shapes to indicate hair and use only a couple of lines for highlights. Individual lines for every strand of hair rarely looks convincing.

I like the gothic style in your thumbs. If you're looking for inspiration you might check out the old beetlejuice cartoons. That's what it reminded me of.

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

19th April 2012

IntoTheVoid Yeah now that you point that out I see it plain as day, thanks for that, I really appreciate it, I most likely wouldnt have picked up on it if you hadnt mentioned it
    I tried to apply the hair thing this time, but I think the picture really catered for it, so I was forced to do it. Thanks for the recommendation of the cartoons, will check them out

--

Today I did another portrait, making it number 6 of 100 that I am aiming for by the end of the year.. Will I get there? Hope so... >.> I also tried using nothing but the hard brush at 100% for this, was harder than I thought

3 Enviro Speed studies, 20min each, making it 20 of 100 by the end of the year.. the last one i slacked on pretty bad...

And an update on my 11th imagination landscape (11/100, see a pattern yet?)

So those are my 'milestones' for this year, aswell as continuing to learn all the other basics lol..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

20th April 2012

This took me 4hrs, I couldnt get it right and gave up, nothing worked on it lol. But it did teach me to recognize when to cut my losses and move on, dont know why it was such a failure, didnt look difficult to begin with..

And I think this is as far as I'll push the enviro, if anyone has some tips for implying rocks/mountains in the distance I'de love to hear them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

21st April 2012

So not alot.. again, mostly hogarth. I spent the last week or so working on a sculpture in some clay my boss was going to throw out (she does pottery classes occasionally) so I said I would take it, was kind of wet and soggy, so progress has been slow, but such is life, will upload some pictures soon as it gets a tad nearer to completion

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5