Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings

Thanks

5th of Feb, 2012

do9 Thanks! And those Spartan Camp things look interesting, I missed this one but will def do the next one.

Ok so today followed the same sort of routine as other days, couple of peanut shapes, then 1min gestures. My faves were then 5minute gestures, I marked them this time so that maybe I could get some crits just on basic gesture drawing, anatomy, form etc?
    5min Gestures
    1. http://raw.abduzeedo.com/post/169770...-rocha-is-lake
    2. http://bestbookmarks.net/art/ani-hum...ennette-newell
    3. http://www.cuded.com/wp-content/uplo...r_1600_931.jpg
    4. http://qinni.deviantart.com/art/Let-Me-Out-190672677

After this i practised some movement sort of gestures from Bammes, and sitting down. I decided not to spend as much time on this and move on to the head and skull as Ill be doing gestures pretty often anyway.

PS. My imagination still sucks.. I mean really? a slug and a "female" cartoon dragon.. WELL DONE... *claps self* >.>
    DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi just wanted to say that you and I are probably at about the same stage - I think you are doing an awesome job with all of your studies and hope we can both grow on CA - good luck!

Thanks
    Hi there Jaik,

You are drawing a lot so thats a good thing, I actually already see some progress already, some of your poses now look more natural.

The biggest tip I would give is, yes draw a lot but dont let quantity over ride quality, and I dont mean quality as in finished pieces I mean how valuable the sketches and studies are to your development.
    The biggest thing that will help you improve is being super active in your thinking whilst drawing, why is this like this, why does this make this etc.

I look forward to seeing you progress

Thanks

6th of Feb, 2012

Alizak Thanks for the encouragement, I hope we can help each other in the future
    TFSean Quality over quantity is probably a good way to go now. I do take notes on what I learn in a separate notebook, but I've taken in your advice today and forced myself to study values by copying images instead of just orbs. Any crits would be helpful!

Ok so today. Sorry guys! But I dont have that much to put up ;_; but I hope the pieces have a bit better quality to them today. Atleast in showing my progress thus far.

The first, you can see a new warm up technique Im using, drawing straight lines, curves, circles etc. Im really trying to improve my line quality. Then over the top I did two value studies of images.. They turned out okay. The Originals are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliejigsaw/6798630171/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/a-a-m_2010/6791186451/

Then was a gesture drawing, half ref, half imagination.. Dont know why she has a saucepan and a kitchen knife.. its no better than the transvestite dragon.. But i tried to do some cross hatching and shading. Failed miserably. And her face looks like she was hit with the pan she is carrying...

Then another value study. This one is probs my fave so far, from ref again. Wish I thought of this concept.. but I didnt..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenrhazlett/6733541757/
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks

7th Feb 2012

Uggh
    I have like nothing to show you guys ;_;
    I had no time because I had to be 'social' and see a friend, as well as work.. I know.. excuses...
    Got some bammes skull studies and a motorbike from a pic at work coz it was slow for about half an hour, did some gestures, half from head half from ref.
    Thanks

Thanks
    I love the dude with a cigarette up his nose. And you already know that the anatomy with the girl running is out, it seems that either her torso is too long or her arms are too short. And her head is a funny shape, her face seems too large for the size of her head, and her forehead tapers off a lot more than it probably should. But it is fun to draw from imagination isn't it? I just did it for the first time in forever last night - it felt good

Thanks
    nothing to show? that´s not true, those studies are great for improving, and they are looking good

Thanks

8th Feb 2012

Alizak Yeah, so far all my practice has given me the ability to know the anatomy is out, but still not to get it 100% when i first lay out the pic, but I will get there!
    Lagarto Thankyou! :3 Hopefully it will show soon enough

Ok so down to the sketches.. Just my lil a5 sketchbook again.. I think my next one I will stick with an a4 one.. or maybe slightly bigger shouldn't get to far ahead of myself now..
    First I did some bammes, then random gesture, trying foreshortening without ever reading anything or practising foreshortening.. it didnt turn out well.. needs a peg leg.
    Then I tried some gestures and focused on nothing but form in the shading, these I liked, might try some more of these in the future, very helpful.
    Shading, perspective, different style of gestures, portrait from ref which is..
    Here: http://500px.com/photo/4813091
    She is absolutely stunning, my drawing of her.. not so much..
    Ouu Ouu and then theres an original character.. my very first, not heaps original but not to bad.. he has a beard, not dodgy shading.
    Then loomis.

Thanks
    I quite like the sketch of that girl - I think if her left eye was a bit lower down and her jaw was a little larger it would look a lot better. Overall though you are going well - I hope I can keep up with your motivation level!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alizak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

9th Feb 2012

alizak Thank you for the kind words! You are right about the girl, I couldnt work out what was off myself, but it is the jaw and the eye. Thanks!

Ok so not a heap today, trying to stay with the quality over quantity motif. So I really thought about gestures and how to make them more fluid and dynamic because my gestures are still very stoic in my opinion. I think they are a bit more lively now, but they have alot less detail in them, finding the balance will be key.
    I did a few bammes studies then a diagram from a medical anatomy book of the facial muscles. The line work in the book is amazing and I learnt a lot just by copying it in regards to linework and cross hatching and how to convey the form. Who would of thought I would have found such a good artistic teacher in a gray's anatomy book.
    Then some loomis, and then random doodles late at night.

Thanks
    this skull looks great! can't practice that enough!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your gestures are looking a lot more fluid - nice line quality and they don't seem stiff or rigid at all. Keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to alizak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

10th of Feb 2012

WRappii Thanks for visiting my sketchbook! Yeah understanding the skull really helps with doing a face.
    alizak You think so? Awesome! Thanks

Okay so today I went to the city, mostly to sit with my friend for his first tattoo (5 and a half hour sitting on his chest, took it like a trooper) but I visited the Uni while I was there. Felt like such a bumpkin. I dont go into the city often lol.

Did some drawing down on the train, screwed up perspective after about 20min so started again and spent probably about 1hr 10min on it. Not perfect by any means, I still struggle finding where the horizon line and vanishing point is in real life..
    On the way back I did some monster from imagination and some of the people in the carriage around me.

PS. Since when are train tracks bumpy! There were a lot of them.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast