Sketchbook: Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    The planar version of your nose looks really good, and I am totally liking where your Chow entry is heading

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    that CHOW is looking brutal! lets see it done.

Thanks

20th Feb 2012

Alizak Thankyou as always
    WRappiii Thanks I'm pushing to get it done at the moment, dont think it will be ready by the deadline, but its a fun illustration as it is.

---

Ok had Uni Orientation today so didnt get a chance to post yesterdays work this morning, so posting sort of a mix and match, some of it is repost because I did some marker pieces over pages I already did while I was on the train.. Will work on ChoW tonight and post an update in the morning.

Thanks for looking

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Jaik; February 21st, 2012 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Forgot Pics.. >.>
    DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    your determination is so inspiring! Looking through your works I can really see you growing as an artist. I can tell you have a knack for technical drawings, they look the most effortless and natural. Keep going! You're going to be wow-tastic, I can feel it.

Thanks

22nd of February 2012

Thanks DizzySun! I'm glad you think so, now I'll have to try harder so that I dont disappoint you!

---

Ok, so today is a forgotten page from my sketchbook from yesterday, sneaky-sketch of sleeping old people ftw!
    And I worked hard on my values last night, learning a lot, so now the leviathan reads without line art, which is a pretty big milestone for myself..

Anyway, thanks for viewing, crits appreciated

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Awesome worm man. Looks like you had lots of fun with it.
    The values can be pushed a lot more on it. The tail is distracting. It's like the viewer is right in front of it. Making it less dark/fading it would help.
    Couple words on your SB.
    Technical drawings are great for learning and I love doing them myself, but as I'm starting to learn (slowly haha) drawing has a lot to do with flow. That is hard to grasp from technical stuff.
    I'd suggest you look into Glen Vilppu and his explanation of gesture and spherical forms drawing concept. This Man has a lot to teach.
    Keep at it!

Thanks
    I second CarbonBased's opinion of the worm. It's looking awesome!
    If you're going to add any more to it I think it would be cool to define the planet a bit more and see the destruction in better detail.

Thanks
    Awesome Jaik - the leviathan is coming along really nicely! But I third CarbonBased's opinion - I think the tail at the moment is a bit distracting and I really want to be able to focus on it's head.

Thanks

23rd of February, 2012

CarbonBased Totally agree about the tail, now that you pointed it out, its even more distracting. So i fixed that. I was planning on saving a couple of the whiter values for highlighting which I put through on this pass.
    Thanks for the comment on my sketchbook in its entirety too. Flow is something I have been stuggling with tbh. Its why I try so many different forms of gestures, I just dont seem to get it. Started looking at Vilppu and man, this guy is a good teacher, I shall spend some more time on his stuff. Thanks for the Crit and Comment

WRappiii I was planning on adding more detail to the destruction but just wasnt sure how, because the world is so big and far away and I dont want to put too much detail on it to draw away form the face. So I tried something out, tell me what you think

alizak As I mentioned above, I moved the tail, didnt want to fade it or make is smaller because its close to camera and well.. theres no atmosphere in space 0_0. What do you think of how it is now? Thanks for the comment.

---

Re: Art

Not much today, worked all day yesterday and onl had a lil time to ndoodle at night, couple of faces from imagination, and a midget strong man begging for something.. coz everyone needs on of those in their sketchbooks..... >.>

v4 of the leviathan worm thing, I think this is pretty much as close to done as its gonna get, learnt alot, but I think I've extracted most of what I can learn from this piece so time to move on!

Thanks for looking, crits and comments welcome. Wow, I wrote more than I drew... >.>

P.S. Also realise that I use a HDMI screen for my drawing screen, and the colours on it are ALOT darker than on a DVI screen (my second screen) didnt realise that until now.. so it looks kinda odd on the lighter screen wonder how to overcome this...

Thanks
    Yep that looks a lot better - you've done an excellent job on it

Thanks

23rd Feb 2012

Thank you alizak

--

Sorry uploaded late, had a lot of crap to upload from yesterday and didnt have time before work to scan them this morning (I upload the morning after each day ). Turns out I just took pictures of them because there were way too many to scan... I'm lucky copy paper is so cheap and I'm using already printed on one side pieces otherwise I'de be bankrupt...

Anyway, worked through perspective 101 by seedling, great lil tutorial, but now Im ready to get into real perspective stuff. Spent a little while with gestures trying tog et the flow behind them.. I'm still not getting it.. But I start COFA on tuesday so hopefully I will learn there better methods to achieve this. Kinda of keen

Thanks for looking. If anyone can suggest good perspective books, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
    the giant monster came out really well. the texture you added helped. and the explosions of dirt flying from the earth are pretty nice.
    And good to see some perspective practice

Thanks
    Hey good to see you starting perspective - I'll have a go at that link you posted on my sb too. As for perspective books - Loomis has a large chunk about perspective in his Successful Drawing book - that is what I am going to use to learn all about it, but man it looks complicated

Thanks

25th February 2012

Thanks Wrappiii

Alizak Oh theres a section in successful drawing? I may use that, love me some Loomis lol.

--

Pretty much literally nothing for upload today, yesterday was a pretty full on day (excuses) so I'll try and make up for it today with a lot more work, though I am pretty lethargic because of going out last night >_>

Thanks
    Hey we all have those days - don't sweat it!

Thanks

25th February 2012

Ok, did a bit yesterday, mostly gestures from numerous sources, tried to focus on the rhythm of them which I'm still failing at horribly but ill get there eventually. Think I might re-attempt the spartan camp every week, might help get crits if nothing else. Also did a self portrait split into a skull under-drawing, and some random cartoons from Loomis, it was good for a change of pace.

Thanks

26th february 2012

Alright, so yesterday I did some of Loomis Figure Drawing for all its worth, this was probably a better book to start on than drawing the Head and Hands, but how was I to know. So meh.

Also some sketches from the garden (the tree) and I watched 3-4hrs of TV on the discovery channel last night.. First time I've watched the old box in months. Drawing animal gesture-like things is rough.. and my baby lions look like rats.. but I got some ideas for some enviros I may paint up eventually

Thanks
    I think the spartan camp is a great idea - I plan on keeping up with it for a while so that I can hopefully see some improvement.

Thanks
    the perspective work is looking good.

I've got 'perspective made eady' by Ernest R.Norling and 'perspective for comic book artists' by David Chelsea, I'll let you know if they're good once i've gone through them.

Thanks

1st of March

alizak I missed out on spartan camp this week, but I'll soon get organised, i swear!
    Hunin I just got perspective made easy and am planning on working through it aswell good to hear from you again

-----

I'm sorry everyone I havent posted the last couple of days!! Started University degree and... I'm not gonna lie... but I'm pretty disappointed. Learning more about the feeling and sexuality of inanimate objects than how to draw.. I dont even pick up a pencil for 6 weeks...
    So I have a lot of thinking to do...

Anyway, this is all I have for the last few days, I couldnt do much until yesterday, which I did some figure drawing by Loomis.

Imagination speedpaint of about 45min, my first speed paint, which really wasnt that speedy, spent most of the time trying to work out colours.. Crits on this would be greatly appreciated.

Then I redid a quick diagram of how Egyptians erected their statues which i found kinda interesting.

Hmm maybe if i type enough it will make up for my lack of work...

Thanks

2nd of March 2012

Not much, exploring options in other areas of life, mostly perspective. etc etc

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Jaik; March 3rd, 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks

3rd March 2012

Mmmk Loomis figure drawing, kgo.

Thanks

4th March 2012

Loomis, some imagination drawing etc. First time picking up paint.. different experience.. and a still life beer bottle.. I don't drink often anymore because I draw late into the night, maybe if I keep drawing I'll be able to pay for Coronas instead of the cheap Cantinas lol.........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzySun View Post
    your determination is so inspiring! Looking through your works I can really see you growing as an artist. I can tell you have a knack for technical drawings, they look the most effortless and natural. Keep going! You're going to be wow-tastic, I can feel it.
    Couldn't say it better! I totally agree!
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks

5th March 2012

Thanks Greenhouse!

--

Sorry for late update, had uni this morning, not too keen to continue this.. Seems to be a course more geared towards becoming an art teacher than a professional artist.. DELIBERATION TIME!

Anyway, just worked through Loomis Figure drawing.. Nothing to see here..

Thanks for looking regardless

Thanks

6th March 2012

Not much today either, like I said I had Uni so couldnt draw much. Though I did have another page of a landscape of where i got stuck on the train for 20min.. cept there was a finnish backpacker who admired it, so i gave it to her coz she was kinda cute :3

Anyway, think I might digitise the alien dude, might turn out interesting.

Thanks for viewing

Thanks

7th March 2012

Perspective work in the morning then tried to digitise a sketch I had, no idea how to render skin realistically, so decided to do a hand study. Also did a still life of grapes (very hard to do, first time doing it digitally).
    Then last comes my thumbs for the EoW (Debris Field) and CHoW (Siren), not sure where I'm going with the EoW since its really my firs time specifically doing environments, but hey, its all about learning.

Thanks

8th March 2012

Alright so...

I have...
    A still life of a pear - 40min
    Enviro Studies - 20min each.. Really need to get the hang of these, they are terrible, I'm not good at colour matching let alone fast..
    Then I have a sketch of my CHoW, which I like though skin tones are hard, I spent 2hrs eye dropper tool paintings to see how skin tones work.. Doing my head in... and now I have to apply a cold skin tone! I'm so effed..
    2 faces, was meant to be more, but ran out of time/motivation after the second.
    a study of a pic from Faeries by Alan Lee, excellent artist, using my new water colour pencils.. for the first time.. and I got them in October.. >.>
    Some bridgman quick copies.

Thanks for lookng.

Thanks
    Jaik, that’s a good amount of studies and big variations as well! The perspective and the digital hand study are very nice.

Thanks

9th March 2012

Thanks for dropping by Greenhouse was getting lonely all up in here by myself

----

Okay so today I did a bunch of gestures for the spartan camp, started late, got the easy ones out of the way, now just have the longer ones. Im not sure what to include in a 5minute gesture, after about 3minutes I get lost as there is not alot else I can include.. i dont understand it D: guess I'll try and get help in the spartan camp thread.
    Did some hands and watched a doco last night on baravia. That place looks amazing! I want to go there one day, though I want to go to a lot of places..
    And some quick enviro studies. Mountains are hard >.<

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3