Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7th Feb 2012

Uggh
    I have like nothing to show you guys ;_;
    I had no time because I had to be 'social' and see a friend, as well as work.. I know.. excuses...
    Got some bammes skull studies and a motorbike from a pic at work coz it was slow for about half an hour, did some gestures, half from head half from ref.
    Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images    
    DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the dude with a cigarette up his nose. And you already know that the anatomy with the girl running is out, it seems that either her torso is too long or her arms are too short. And her head is a funny shape, her face seems too large for the size of her head, and her forehead tapers off a lot more than it probably should. But it is fun to draw from imagination isn't it? I just did it for the first time in forever last night - it felt good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nothing to show? thatīs not true, those studies are great for improving, and they are looking good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8th Feb 2012

Alizak Yeah, so far all my practice has given me the ability to know the anatomy is out, but still not to get it 100% when i first lay out the pic, but I will get there!
    Lagarto Thankyou! :3 Hopefully it will show soon enough

Ok so down to the sketches.. Just my lil a5 sketchbook again.. I think my next one I will stick with an a4 one.. or maybe slightly bigger shouldn't get to far ahead of myself now..
    First I did some bammes, then random gesture, trying foreshortening without ever reading anything or practising foreshortening.. it didnt turn out well.. needs a peg leg.
    Then I tried some gestures and focused on nothing but form in the shading, these I liked, might try some more of these in the future, very helpful.
    Shading, perspective, different style of gestures, portrait from ref which is..
    Here: http://500px.com/photo/4813091
    She is absolutely stunning, my drawing of her.. not so much..
    Ouu Ouu and then theres an original character.. my very first, not heaps original but not to bad.. he has a beard, not dodgy shading.
    Then loomis.

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like the sketch of that girl - I think if her left eye was a bit lower down and her jaw was a little larger it would look a lot better. Overall though you are going well - I hope I can keep up with your motivation level!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alizak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9th Feb 2012

alizak Thank you for the kind words! You are right about the girl, I couldnt work out what was off myself, but it is the jaw and the eye. Thanks!

Ok so not a heap today, trying to stay with the quality over quantity motif. So I really thought about gestures and how to make them more fluid and dynamic because my gestures are still very stoic in my opinion. I think they are a bit more lively now, but they have alot less detail in them, finding the balance will be key.
    I did a few bammes studies then a diagram from a medical anatomy book of the facial muscles. The line work in the book is amazing and I learnt a lot just by copying it in regards to linework and cross hatching and how to convey the form. Who would of thought I would have found such a good artistic teacher in a gray's anatomy book.
    Then some loomis, and then random doodles late at night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this skull looks great! can't practice that enough!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your gestures are looking a lot more fluid - nice line quality and they don't seem stiff or rigid at all. Keep it up!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alizak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10th of Feb 2012

WRappii Thanks for visiting my sketchbook! Yeah understanding the skull really helps with doing a face.
    alizak You think so? Awesome! Thanks

Okay so today I went to the city, mostly to sit with my friend for his first tattoo (5 and a half hour sitting on his chest, took it like a trooper) but I visited the Uni while I was there. Felt like such a bumpkin. I dont go into the city often lol.

Did some drawing down on the train, screwed up perspective after about 20min so started again and spent probably about 1hr 10min on it. Not perfect by any means, I still struggle finding where the horizon line and vanishing point is in real life..
    On the way back I did some monster from imagination and some of the people in the carriage around me.

PS. Since when are train tracks bumpy! There were a lot of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perspective is something I have to work on too - I think I will be darned proud of myself when I conquer it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

11th Feb 2012

alizak Yeah definitely, perspective seems like a very vast subject. Except as I look into any aspect of drawing properly, every part seems to grow bigger. There is a vast amount of information to learn..

Not much today, wish I did more but I just couldnt concentrate. Kinda bummed and had no motivation, but least I got something, I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start!

One thing I would say is to practice more from life, and by that I don't mean photographs. Do some self portraits, drawings of friends, family, drawings of strangers etc. and apply what you learn from anatomy books to improve the way you see and the way you think.

As for gesture drawings, look for the line of action of the figure, the movement of the entire body, this might help explain it better,

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/uploa...n07-749469.jpg

overall, I like what you're doing here, keep studying, keep drawing from the imagination too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

12th Feb 2012

Hunin Thanks, that image is great, trying to find as much information as possible on gestures and that helps explain it a little better. As for life drawing, I have been toying with the idea of drawing family, so I may just start that sometime soon. Thanks for the encouragement!

Ok not much to show today sadly, was in a slump motivation-wise, I know, I hate to say it. But I focused on some eyes/mouths from Loomis, couple of faces, really trying to get the eyes looking in the same direction and focused. Instead of the staring/zoned out look I normally get when I draw eyes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

13th Feb 2012

Ok, not alot, very little actually. Worked on gestures and keeping them fluid, trying different things.. then did a life drawing of my dad.. ITS SO HORRIBLE! D: so bad its laugh worthy, but I'll practice a week, and do another and see if it improves... I did say I'de upload the bad with the good I guess...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great that you're doing studies. Although personally I would like to see more personal stuff since it's easier to critique, studies are invaluable to progressing as an artist.

Quick tip, if I may, about your perspective stuff. Namely, the tank a couple of posts ago. Don't be afraid to detail it! Right now it kinda looks like a stack of cardboard boxes. Also, contour lines are a great way to quickly give mass and form to an object. Especially mechanical, ID-stuff like the tank.

See how lines run up and down along the razors? That's what I mean. Try it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of those eyes are really good. It will be interesting to see how much your portraits improve - I am sure there will be good progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you doing gestures, keep practicing them, focus on the figure as a single unit, don't worry about details, just try to capture the essence of a pose.

The drawing of your Dad is a good start, try to think in terms of masses of the head, keep in mind what you've learn from your studies too. I look forward to seeing more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14th February 2012

iambanana Thanks for visiting my SB. You are right, I really need to spend more time on images, start practising the later stages of an image instead of just the line-work...
    alizak Thank you as always Eyes definitely got easier to draw after a while, couple of tricks I picked up from doing repetition.
    Hunin Essence of the pose, single unit.. Mine will all end up as a scribbled mess.. You watch.. lol.
    He didnt really grasp the point of me beginining as an artist "If you cant draw me while Im constantly moving my head naturally..." So he kept moving so I never got a single shot.. helped me a lot with thinking about how certain features matched together though, but was harder to see the mass as a whole..

Ok, so todays stuff.. I know I said I wouldnt do digital work until Uni started (2 weeks away) and I know everyone will care soooo much >.> Only did it along the lines of "Alpenfleger (spelling?) did it for one month, if I do it for 2 I will be twice as good..." Now its more.. That was stupid, learn work ethic not process etc..
    So I decided to do a ChoW, this weeks one is actually two weeks long, so I may actually be able to finish it.. doubt I'll enter though.. So not a lot today, was basically just ChoW stuff..
    Crits would be nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15th February 2012

Okay, so was at work so didnt get a heap of time. More ChoW stuff.. Planing on going back a bit to some studies today though as well as ChoW..

Really struggled with the 3/4 view.. came out lookin like a giant phallus.. Anywayyy

WTB crits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So what is the character supposed to be? I haven't had a look at the ChoW this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16th February. 2012

alizak This weeks CHOW is to design a leviathan and its vessel. Basically the leviathan destroys worlds and the vessel is used as a herald to spread doom and fear before its arrival. Kinda cool concept.. My leviathan doesnt look creepy enough though..

Did some gestures, trying to get looser, then worked on chow, so not a hell of alot to show, recomp'd the leviathan, i think it looks better like this, and I added colour (which i suck at, as you can see my SB is all B&W till now).

Will keep working on this, but now that I'm using PS I may try my hand at some other digital stuff too.

Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah thanks for that! Will be interesting to see how it comes along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice to see you giving CHOW a shot, after all, if you want to become a concept artist you have to practice doing concept art, even if you find it difficult. I can't really offer any detailed critiques, I like the way you've explored your ideas, researched how certain animals look to help your design, it's a really good way to explore your ideas.

The difficultly is to make a bridge between doing studies and doing imaginative stuff, all I can say is, keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

17th February 2012

alizak Thanks!
    Hunin Yeah, I totally need to work on perspective like you, because all of the perspective you see is wrong and just guess work. plus THERE IS NO HORIZON IN SPACE! D: so yeah perspectives massively off..

Okay, so today, got some gestures, a face from reference, a random blue cartoon samurai from an old sketch, a study of a frog which I really failed at implementing in my chow.. and yeah.. thats my effort for the day.. not heaps... >.>

Last edited by Jaik; February 18th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool studies. I see that you try to draw alot from understanding (notes etc.), rather than what you see. Which really helps if you want to design stuff of your own later.

Also, do you do any 3D stuff aswell? Alot of your studies are almost wireframes.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaik View Post
    THERE IS NO HORIZON IN SPACE! D:
    There is:p It's just not 'visible', but there is always a horizonline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the eyes on your Chow entry - are you going to add some texture to the skin as well?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Topcross Thanks, yeah i try to understand how things work based on observation and then extrapolating the way it functions from that. I will probably never re-read my notes, but they stick in my head better if I write them down somewhere.
    I am interested in 3D but wouldnt even know where to start, it would be something worth looking into after I succeed at 2D first, the wire frames-esque was i do some of my drawings is to try and ingrain how light will fall on certain shapes from a variety of angles, so far I have not been terribly successful lol.
    Thanks alizak! I overhauled the design completely after a crit I got, so the eyes have all but disappeared, and the skin will be the skin of an armadillo lizard :3

--

Not much to actually post today, I did some mouth studies, half from loomis half of my own mouth.. I learnt to get faster at drawing them because my mouth got sore being in one position too long, also made me wish I had nicer teeth.. ohwell!
    I recomped my chow, and pretty much redesigned it completely after i got a crit from Dan on his livestream. Pretty happy with the result, learnt alot, looking at the old one it was way too friendly looking and the composition really didnt work.

Anyway, crits welcomed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new composition and the angle of the leviathan looks great - it is far more dynamic and it actually looks like he is going to destroy that planet. Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, the Chow piece looks way better, there is more of a 3 dimensional quality, great job!

About perspective, there is always a horizon line (it's your eye level) I think the best way to think about perspective is that it is from a single person's view point, a drawing of whatever a person is looking at (like a view in a first person shooter), I'm sorry if I didn't explain that well, haha. Maybe it's better to call the horizon line 'eye level'

At any rate, there is definitively progress here, keep pushing it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

19th February 2012

Thanks alizak and Hunin, your continued support means a lot and yeah, I worked out the whole horizon thing but now im trying to work out whether, or how, to render the atmosphere in space so that parts read as further away... kinda confused about that lol.

----

The normal 5-10 sec gesture warm up, followed by an extensive study of loomis' ears and other peoples ears, loomis' noses, and then my own nose. The very last one was an "as accurate as I can make it" planar version of my nose. Didnt turn out like I wanted it to, but it taught me a lot.

Last is an update of my Chow, line art is almost ready to come off, and i decided to make it go through the planet, looks more lively that way

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5