problems

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: problems

Hybrid View

problems

I am trying to load one of the xml files i found here

. i created a directory in the brushes folder
    then clicked the arrow

load libary = clicked my directory
    and it has a an xml file and the jpg if that is even neccessary
    but it says directory empty

any advice would be appreciated thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

It is difficult to say without more information. If you can tell me which version of Painter you are using, the files/folder names you downloaded, and from where, I'll have more of an idea what is going wrong.

David

Hi,

I sounds like you don't have a brush category folder and a JPG brush category icon image file in the brush library folder you created. If that's the case, Painter can't load the brush library as it'll "think" it's empty.

If the .XML brush variant file has an accompanying .JPG file with the same name as the .XML brush variant file, it's a Captured Dab brush variant and the accompanying .JPG file is the image file needed to describe the shape of the brush dab.

What you need to do is either move the .XML brush variant file and its accompanying .JPG Captured Dab image file into an existing brush category folder (in the default Painter Brushes' Airbrushes brush category folder, for instance, or whichever brush category folder seems appropriate), or open Painter and create a custom brush category to place inside the new brush library folder you created.

To do that:

Open Painter and do not load another brush library. Just keep the default Painter Brushes brush library loaded.

Then create an image to use as the brush category icon. You can use any existing image, or paint a new one.

Click the R key to activate the Rectangular Selection tool and drag a freehand "square" selection around the image (don't hold down the Shift key while dragging the selection as it may cause the Capture Brush Category command to be greyed out.. in Painter 8, at least).

Go to the Painter 8 Brush Selector menu and choose Capture Brush Category (or in Painter 7, go to the Brushes palette's Brush menu and choose New Brush), then give your custom brush category a unique name not already used by Painter.

Painter automatically creates a new brush category folder in the default Painter Brushes brush library folder and adds the JPG brush category icon image file (with the same name as the custom brush category folder) to the default Painter Brushes brush library folder.

If you want your custom brush category in the new brush library folder you created, close Painter and go to your file manager.

Highlight your custom brush category folder and its accompanying JPG brush category icon image file and move them to your new bruah library folder.

You should now see the following folder and file structure for Painter 8:

Corel
    ..Corel Painter 8
    .....Brushes
    ........your new Brush Library folder
    ...........your custom Brush Category folder
    ...........your custom Brush Category's accompanying .JPG icon image file

or.. for Painter 7:

Painter 7
    ..Brushes
    .....your new Brush Library folder
    ........your custom Brush Category folder
    ........your custom Brush Category's accompanying .JPG icon image file

If I haven't guessed right, as sandman said, we'll need more information.

Last edited by Jin; May 17th, 2004 at 12:37 PM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

thanks guys it's works

is there a quicker way to change ur brush size
    besides
    [ and ]

i tried shift + alt + ctrl

but that gives me un wanted sizes sometimes is there something I'm doing wrong?

is there any way to give painter even MORE memory? cause sometimes it says not enough memory and I know my computer is fast enough to handle it.

Originally posted by johnnypixel
    thanks guys it's works

is there a quicker way to change ur brush size
    besides
    [ and ]

i tried shift + alt + ctrl

but that gives me un wanted sizes sometimes is there something I'm doing wrong?
    Please see this thread.

In addition, right clicking/control clicking on the canvas with the Brush Tool selected will bring up a contextual menu with various options including increasing/decreasing brush size.

David

Originally posted by johnnypixel
    is there any way to give painter even MORE memory? cause sometimes it says not enough memory and I know my computer is fast enough to handle it.
    If you are referring to the dialogue which sometimes comes up when a brush parameter is changed, I don't think there is a way to increase the memory allocation.

I can use brushes at settings in Painter 6 (Mac OS9), which in Painter 8 (Mac OSX) will not even build. This is on the same computer, with identical RAM in each case. It is as though some of the brush parameter limits have been capped in more recent versions.

David

Hi,

Below is the edited text from the thread for which sandman posted a link. When I wrote my initial message in that thread, I thought one of the methods was buggy. It turns out I was wrong and that method is used to change the brush size in roughly 5% increments, The resulting brush size numbers seem a bit erratic, thus my first thought that it was buggy.

There are eight ways I know of to change the brush size in Painter 8, some reliable, some "freehand", and two change brush size in roughly 5% increments:

1. Click the ] key to increase brush size or the [ key to decrease brush size. In Edit > Preferences General, in the Brush Size Increment field, this increment can be changed by typing any other number up to 10 pixels. (If the increment is set to 10, a brush size of 10, would then be change with a single click on the ] key to a brush size of 20.)

2. Hold down the Ctrl/Command+Shift+Alt/Option keys and drag outward to increase brush size or drag inward to decrease brush size.

3. This one seems to change the brush size in roughly 5% increments: Click in the Property Bar's Size field, then use the up arrow key to increase brush size increments or the down arrow key to decrease brush size. However, the increments are not consistently 5%, at least in my Painter 8.1 running on WinXP Home. For example, beginning with a brush size of 10 and clicking the up arrow key, here are the increments I got:

10.5 (up .5)
    11 (up .5)
    11.6 (up .6)
    12.2 (up .6)
    12.8 (up .6)
    13.5 (up .7)
    14.2 (up .7)
    14.9 (up .7)
    15.7 (up .8 )
    16.5 (up .8 )
    17.3 (up .8 )
    18.2 (up .9)
    19.1 (up .9)
    20.1 (up 1.0)
    21.1 (up 1.0
    22.2 (up 1.1)
    23.3 (up 1.1)
    24.5 (up 1.2)

... and so on...

4. Click in the Property Bar's Size field and type the brush size number.

5. Click the small triangle next to the Property Bar's Size field and drag the slider.

6. In the Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's Size section, adjust the Size slider.

7. In the Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's Size section, click in the Size field and type the number.

8. This method results in similar (or the same) somewhat erratic brush size increments, as demonstrated in method 3. above: In the Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's Size section, click in the Size field and use the up arrow key to increase brush size or the down arrow key to decrease brush size.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.