Art: Newbie Artist pleads for help!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newbie Artist pleads for help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Newbie Artist pleads for help!

Aaaaand here we go, I'm not exactly new here, been lurking around Conceptart.org for quite a bit already and I finally decided to stop creeping in the shadows and pop my work for others to see.

My Online Portfolio!

Now I've been taking art seriously for a year and a half by now, perhaps a bit longer and I've already improved immensely but I am hitting wall after wall now and it is getting tough.

Really I need all the help I can get now so no need to reserve yourself and boulder down some critique on my head please!

I am here to learn

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Link goes nowhere

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to be brunt about it. Don't take anything personally. The first thing you need as an artist is the ability to take constructive criticism.

Ok, well first. Make a sketchbook thread here. Then you gotta buckle down on some fundamentals.

I'd suggest like everyone should. Read some of Andrew Loomis' books. His Figure drawing one is a must. Now don't just sit there and draw the pictures, read it. Study it. Understand it. Drawing past a certain point even I can say when I'm not that amazing. That it's observation and understanding. There are times when I haven't drawn anything in a while I'll come back and it feels stronger than when I left without even picking up a pencil just from observing some things I didn't before.

Anatomy is a big deal, but it's more so the form that the structure gives, this I can tell you will be a very hard obstacle. Just practice each individual part as you read Loomis and try to understand why things are as they are.

Also look into perspective a lot when just starting, get that down too. It is a must. But one of the most important things is drawing from life. Draw what you see. Drawing is about observation, to draw from your imagination properly you need to be able to from observation and understand it.

Then just practice practice practice.

Those are my suggestions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JFierce

Thanks man, this is the first time really someone tells me to stop, back-pedal and go back to the fundamentals. I've always known my anatomy should be better but seems I just need to sit down and study that stuff rather than just draw a piece and hope to get better along the way.

Loomis and Live-drawing it is.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.