attachments

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 88

Thread: attachments

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    w/in walking distance
    Posts
    539
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    attachments

    I don't know if any else has this issue but I have notice my posts have been downloaded. When we signed up for an account did that give permission to everyone to take a copy? And how do you keep people from taking it. I mean I don't go around saving everybodies scribbles to my desk top. And I want to be displayed but how many times to you go to an art gallery and take pictures of the art displayed. No bodies putting a nickle in my pocket per copy so I would like to know how to protect my post. Sincerly four year patron. As of today.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    782
    Thanked 490 Times in 312 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I think every time someone views your post, it counts as a 'download'? I'm pretty sure a browser needs to download an image, before it can be viewed.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,180
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It's taken you four whole years to get curious about how the Internet works? Really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_E_Pent
    No bodies putting a nickle in my pocket per copy
    And you're not paying any other content provider a nickel for their copy so stop whining. If you don't like all this free information and art you're getting on the Internet, turn off your computer, cancel your Internet service, don't post anything and don't get anything.

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    881
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 320 Times in 265 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Downloads? where can we see that?
    When I hover the mouse on the pics I have posted I only see the name of the file, the views it has, and the size.
    Personally I don't really mind if people are downloading my posted pics (IF, I doubt this is happening, there are far better works out there than mine) If someone likes it enough to save one of them on their comp, then thank you very much is all I can say.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    honestly, your best solution would be just to sign or watermark your work. I understand your concern, though it's tough to stop something like this just because of how many ways a person could save a picture (right-click, screenshot, third-party add-ons/extensions of browsers, etc.).

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by me.tog View Post
    honestly, your best solution would be just to sign or watermark your work. I understand your concern, though it's tough to stop something like this just because of how many ways a person could save a picture (right-click, screenshot, third-party add-ons/extensions of browsers, etc.).
    I for one never look twice or indeed even once at any picture that has an ugly watermark on it, and I suspect I am by no means alone in this.

    Like it or not, anything that is visible on-screen can be downloaded. If you don't want something downloaded, don't put it on the web.

    That said, unless you are specifically planning on making a substantial part of your income by selling prints of your work, it is not at all clear to me why anyone would want to prevent people from downloading their work in the first place. I certainly don't mind at all; in fact I would feel pretty flattered. But then, I am just an amateur and hobbyist. Perhaps it is different for professionals. Either way, there is not a thing you can do about it: whatever you put on the web can be copied, whether we like it or not, whether it is a good thing or not, and irrespective of any draconian legislation against it.

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,432
    Thanks
    643
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    I'm pretty sure a browser needs to download an image, before it can be viewed.
    This is correct.

    If I'm looking at your picture, it's already on my hard drive somewhere.

    This is why "disable right click" scripts are stupid.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    782
    Thanked 490 Times in 312 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    This is correct.

    If I'm looking at your picture, it's already on my hard drive somewhere.

    This is why "disable right click" scripts are stupid.
    Yea, it ends up somewhere in the browser cache or temporary internet files or whatever that place is... same place where porn pics people won't fess up to looking at end up, and they get busted

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,001
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Oh god... .... .... they can do that..... ... you'll never get any proof on me!
    *takes hammer to computer*


    But in all seriousness blogmatix has it right. Big ugly watermarks at least are a big turn off when looking at pictures and if it's on the internet it's likely going to be downloadable. Either way why does it matter. Your not getting paid for your scribbles I'm betting, then it's highly unlikely anyones magically taking them to use themselves other than maybe for a reference if you have some damn good anatomy studies.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    Yea, it ends up somewhere in the browser cache or temporary internet files or whatever that place is... same place where porn pics people won't fess up to looking at end up, and they get busted
    From what I hear, even if you know where the cache and temporary files and so on are, and delete them from there, a good forensics guy can still dig them up. Which is why your naughty pics of nude kids can land you in prison, and your diagrams of homemade nuclear bombs can make you entirely disappear from the face of the earth. :-)

    Such are the times we live in...

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    782
    Thanked 490 Times in 312 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    ....and your diagrams of homemade nuclear bombs can make you entirely disappear from the face of the earth. :-)
    Come to think of it Communists were able to do that even before the nukes.... Maybe they should have gotten into IT!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    Come to think of it Communists were able to do that even before the nukes.... Maybe they should have gotten into IT!
    All over the western world, nanny states are bit by bit turning into police states, and doing so voluntarily and under the thunderous applause of their own citizens. Lucky thing we have the web, which is the one thing that is apparently pretty difficult to control even by well-resourced and very dedicated governments.

    The price we pay for this (to come back to the OP's issue) is that we relinquish arrangements that we once thought to be set in stone, such copyright, government censorship of "morals" etc. On the web at least, we are fairly free from government interference. But it also means kids get to see adults having sex, and adults get to see kids having sex. :-)

    I suspect it will be some decades yet before the full social and political impact of the web will be clear - we are all right in the dust of battle, so we don't always see what's going on.

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    w/in walking distance
    Posts
    539
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    In order to have a pic remain on your computur you must right click and hit save as with the tabs come up. Just because you look at something over the airwaves does not save it to view later with out internet connections. Now assuming you have had 3000 people look at your art. then you go to your attachments in you userCP you might notice that 3000 downloads of your first work as not happened. more to come..

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    3,234
    Thanks
    860
    Thanked 847 Times in 457 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_E_Pent View Post
    In order to have a pic remain on your computur you must right click and hit save as with the tabs come up. Just because you look at something over the airwaves does not save it to view later with out internet connections. Now assuming you have had 3000 people look at your art. then you go to your attachments in you userCP you might notice that 3000 downloads of your first work as not happened. more to come..
    Actually, it does remain on the computer, it's just in a dump file until it gets cycled and replaced by newer dump. It's called a cache folder and files in there have attractive names like $tj6930fhtL.bmp or 48960sim.html and are not sorted in any way comprehensible by a human being.

    -----------------

    Regarding the original post, it might be of interest to some of you that art directors actually want to download and keep images in their reference folders so that they can give you work in the future. This is why a watermark is important. I'm not talking about a large ugly thing right across the image. I'm talking about something small in a corner that gives your name and URL or a very very clear signature. Having a file name that makes sense is also a good thing.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:


  22. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 774 Times in 261 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_E_Pent View Post
    When we signed up for an account did that give permission to everyone to take a copy? And how do you keep people from taking it.
    It's flat impossible to keep people from saving a copy if they want it. All else fails, someone can just hit print screen, load it into PS, and save to .jpeg. If this really bothers you, your only recourse is to not upload your precious pictures in the first place.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    w/in walking distance
    Posts
    539
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpahl View Post
    It's flat impossible to keep people from saving a copy if they want it. All else fails, someone can just hit print screen, load it into PS, and save to .jpeg. If this really bothers you, your only recourse is to not upload your precious pictures in the first place.
    Your god damn right they are... And furthur more. This site is not yahoo or google. It is an organization of artists. I feel if an artist is enjoying a piece so much they need a copy of it, it would be respectful to let the originator know about it. And you know, there is piracy everywhere. And my symbol is usually on my work. This watermark I know nothing of which you speak. I'm not in the habit of counterfiting.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,068
    Thanks
    992
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Oh come on. Y'all are serious?

    If someone is looking at your art you should be thrilled. If they're downloading it, you should be double-thrilled.

    Get over yourselves and enjoy any attention you're getting.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  26. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 774 Times in 261 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_E_Pent View Post
    Your god damn right they are... And furthur more. This site is not yahoo or google. It is an organization of artists. I feel if an artist is enjoying a piece so much they need a copy of it, it would be respectful to let the originator know about it. And you know, there is piracy everywhere. And my symbol is usually on my work. This watermark I know nothing of which you speak. I'm not in the habit of counterfiting.
    Listen man, no offense, but I looked at your work. You still have a ways to go before you need to worry about people saving it for personal use. Like several people have said, these "downloads" you're so worried about are just people's browsers downloading the .jpegs to the cache. And even if people were saving your work, which they're not, there wouldn't be anything ConceptArt.org could do about it, barring a total overhaul of the structure of the Internet.

    tl;dr: Take it as a compliment, or take them offline.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:


  28. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    As has been already explained numerous times, the "downloads" on the attachments page of your user profile should more correctly be called "views." Every time you view something on line, be it text, images, or any other type of file, it is being "downloaded" to your computer. You wouldn't be able to access it otherwise.
    None the less, if that explanation isn't good enough, or you choose not to believe it, please feel free to delete all your attachments. I'm sure the CA servers would appreciate the freed-up storage and bandwidth.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  30. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_E_Pent View Post
    I don't know if any else has this issue but I have notice my posts have been downloaded. When we signed up for an account did that give permission to everyone to take a copy? And how do you keep people from taking it. I mean I don't go around saving everybodies scribbles to my desk top. And I want to be displayed but how many times to you go to an art gallery and take pictures of the art displayed. No bodies putting a nickle in my pocket per copy so I would like to know how to protect my post. Sincerly four year patron. As of today.
    Yea, actually you did. The second you put a picture up at a PUBLIC forum on the internet, you signed up for anybody and everybody to "take" a copy.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    Oh come on. Y'all are serious?

    If someone is looking at your art you should be thrilled. If they're downloading it, you should be double-thrilled.

    Get over yourselves and enjoy any attention you're getting.
    Yup, that's pretty much how I feel about it.

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    File-Sharing Recognized as Official Religion in Sweden

    http://torrentfreak.com/file-sharing...sweden-120104/

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:


  34. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,851
    Thanks
    1,128
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    This is correct.

    If I'm looking at your picture, it's already on my hard drive somewhere.

    This is why "disable right click" scripts are stupid.
    Or if right click save is disabled, in chrome you can right click and view source, and it'll be in there usually with the jpeg name and a number next to it like "1200x560".

    And if it isn't there, you can always just screenshot it. And if it doesn't fit on the screen, there's programs that basically screenshot an entire web browser's "area", for those extra large 5000x7000px images.

    But yeah, as everyone else says, i wouldn't sweat it if people are downloading it, i would assume it just means they like it. if you really want to see how people are using it just check tineye or google reverse image search.

    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

    Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

    or my Deviantart!

    · or check out my: Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  35. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    w/in walking distance
    Posts
    539
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well, I guess the main moderator told me. Thanks dad. So your suggesting, instead of working to improve myself by allowing others to offer advice on my progression. Oh wait. The last few comments have been about other things and not art, I guess Ill take your advice and delete everything and give up on the idea I might have talent. What a way to role model. Mr. Elwell. You have saved me from years of agonizing struggle to improve the world around me through art interpretation. Once again. I thank you. Mostly for spending the time to tell me the same thing all the others have. Now sure there is a temp internet file folder that all sorts of items are stored. But do feel you lack the understanding of the system you moderate. The attechments people post are not directly downloaded to a harddrive without the operator clicking some buttons.



    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  36. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    I think every time someone views your post, it counts as a 'download'? I'm pretty sure a browser needs to download an image, before it can be viewed.
    Hey, check it out, this guy has stolen your avatar image:

    http://www.facebook.com/derek.dutoit

    :-)

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  37. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks
    772
    Thanked 463 Times in 225 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Sir E Pent, Just when I think people let me down and there is no hope....

    People like you show up and prove that there is a bright star on the horizon for me to set my ship by...

    Thank you for providing entertainment on what was a most boring and otherwise disappointing day. If you make it out of this in one piece, I hope to see more posts
    from you in order to always have something to look forward to.

    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

    If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:


  39. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    My Inner Universe
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    3,386
    Thanked 877 Times in 204 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I seriously hope this guy is a troll, for his own sake :/

    here is a funny gif I stole and am now using to rake in serious amounts of cash.

    Name:  ws93iv.gif
Views: 820
Size:  461.6 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Crane For This Useful Post:


  41. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mölndal, Sweden
    Posts
    2,778
    Thanks
    2,379
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Actually. Just looking at an image technichally downloads it into your brain and stores it in your memory. You should have people pay you just to look at your images, so that no one can store them for use later.

    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

    Sketchy Link

    Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:


  43. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,831
    Thanks
    1,110
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_E_Pent View Post
    Well, I guess the main moderator told me. Thanks dad. So your suggesting, instead of working to improve myself by allowing others to offer advice on my progression. Oh wait. The last few comments have been about other things and not art, I guess Ill take your advice and delete everything and give up on the idea I might have talent. What a way to role model. Mr. Elwell. You have saved me from years of agonizing struggle to improve the world around me through art interpretation. Once again. I thank you. Mostly for spending the time to tell me the same thing all the others have. Now sure there is a temp internet file folder that all sorts of items are stored. But do feel you lack the understanding of the system you moderate. The attechments people post are not directly downloaded to a harddrive without the operator clicking some buttons.


    I'm..... not really sure what happened here? Don't take it to heart mate. Elwell ate my baby and I shrugged it off as "ohhh that's Elwell!"

    One last time, your computer stores any image you see in your browser, the buttons they are clicking, as you say, are the ones that take them to the page of your images, where the download commences and stores your pics on their harddrive in cache.

    If you're really worried about this, first off the corner-based watermark is a possibility, secondly you can try to make your image sizes 'enough to see on screen' but not really large enough to do anything outside of that (printing at a high quality at a good size for example).

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  44. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:


  45. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,187
    Thanks
    4,148
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah I would take it as a compliment too. I didn't even know there was a view count on the user cp that's quite useful.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook