Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kino's Sketchbook

Hey everyone,

Been a member of the forum for a little bit.
    Decided that I want to start drawing again and thus make a sketch book.
    I am a beginner and I read Loomis/Vilppu/Rockman so now I am just improving my technical skill.

Present Project: To fill the flower page with more flowers to better understand how they are drawn.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really want to improve my drawing of flowers and yet I can't seem to get them to really look good.

Are there any tips you guys can offer me in terms of drawing flower pictures?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drawing flowers is just like drawing anything else-- observe carefully and learn how they work :]

Try to use a long sweep of your arm to draw a line, instead of composing a line of many small lines. Start with -the- most basic forms first; don't just start in drawing detailed lines. Also, keep your pencil sharp for linework!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Vekke. I feel like when it comes to conveying value though I just can not seem to shade in a way to actually depict it carefully. I try to observe but when I hatch it it than looks like crap so I end up smoothing it out, thus making it look worse and mono-valued.

I would love to convey a flowers form like this: http://browse.deviantart.com/traditi...flower#/d5rrhp

But everytime I try I fail lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my SB Drawings are looking great ..we need more!

One thing to concentrate on is trying to incorporate at least 3 types of line and 3 types of tone in the drawings which will make them pop. So a light tone, a mid tone and a shadow tone with both line and shade.

Note I offer this advice while at the same time being unable to do this myself!

-----------------------------------------
    My Blog!
    http://www.whirlyart.blogspot.co.uk/

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flowers and foliage are very hard to draw,and If I was to be honest,the example you linked wasn't that great.Its more about simpylfing light and shadow shapes and good design,then progressing with detail.

To do this,you can squint your eyes,or take the photo reference into PS and blur it,this will give you a clearer idea of the dark and lighter values shapes are.

Keep at it,

"The one hope of producing better work is through the conception,not the material"
    -Andrew Loomis

MY BLOG

MY SKETCHBOOK

AnimationForum

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nubian_Greene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your tips Nubian I will definitely attempt this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bristinehedus View Post
    Try to use a long sweep of your arm to draw a line
    Kino's SketchbookKino's Sketchbook
    Kino's SketchbookKino's Sketchbook
    I am using a SUPER small sketch book, so how does one do that? I always sem to draw with my wrist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stoping by my sketchbook!
    Regarding drawing flowers, i havent done many myself, but one good thing to keep in mind when drawing anything is where your light source come from. That way you can think better where and why those shadow shapes are there, and it makes your drawing less general too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you just need to work with more values, as others have suggested. I know one common mistake I've seen is that the drawing is done all in mid-tones with limited shading. In other words: no highlights, no real shadows. Don't be afraid to work dark and have contrast. Working with graphite pencils of different hardness, you should be able to get what you're looking for.

Keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for the support/tips
    So I did as you all said about values and so I did a couple of studies from Photographs, Life, and other drawings.

They consist of an incomplete moth study and some eye studies

I can sorta see how I do not push the values so much :/ So I will definitely be working on that.

I am reading Deborah Rockman's Drawing Essentials and it has helped me alot so far,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya! loving your drawings so far! I'm going through Loomis/Vilpu, too. Soo much info packed in x)
    One advice I would give, if you are taking advice, is to start big and work small. A mistake lots of people make (including me.. shame ><) is going in and detailing too soon, before everything is 'set up' and laid out. This gets you tired out soon x( This goes for both drawings, value paintings, etc... I think gestural/blind contour drawings will be really helpful for you, esp if you've just taken up drawing again, I've just started doing them and I feel a big difference. It really teaches you to see the whole thing as an essence and not get "stuck". Cheers and good luck, keep it up!

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your eye for detail on the...ahem well the eyes (=P) is quite good. Do you have any figure studies? I personally think next to still life those are the most important.

That and hands.

Curse those hands!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudcan View Post
    Hiya! loving your drawings so far! I'm going through Loomis/Vilpu, too. Soo much info packed in x)
    One advice I would give, if you are taking advice, is to start big and work small. A mistake lots of people make (including me.. shame ><) is going in and detailing too soon, before everything is 'set up' and laid out. This gets you tired out soon x( This goes for both drawings, value paintings, etc... I think gestural/blind contour drawings will be really helpful for you, esp if you've just taken up drawing again, I've just started doing them and I feel a big difference. It really teaches you to see the whole thing as an essence and not get "stuck". Cheers and good luck, keep it up!
    Yea I just read about drawing from a general to specific approach and it really works out more than jsut going into detail fast.
    I have a serious problem with rushing into detail.

Also I will definitely work on gestural drawings more (i hate blind contour makes me rage hard). Thank you for the comment/tips

Quote Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
    Your eye for detail on the...ahem well the eyes (=P) is quite good. Do you have any figure studies? I personally think next to still life those are the most important.

That and hands.

Curse those hands!

Thank you, the eye studies I really wanted to practice at getting down from a general approach to a detailed approach in order to really portray accuracy. My only problem is I am not pushing the value as much as I would like too :/

And in regards to figure studies, I actually have a couple but it was during my pre-evolution stage in drawing when I was not taking it seriously. So definitely will be drawing more figure studies once I finish my value studies from Deborah Rockman's Chapter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright did a couple of value studies on the figure.
    I really like the top and the bottom right, but the bottom left I'm not diggin.

I really tried to push contrast and value of Light, Shadow, and 1 Mid-tone Grey.
    I will definitely be doing more value gesture studies.

Last edited by Kino_PuA; January 17th, 2012 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some gesture/value studies again today/

I tried some different approaches to capture form/gesture:
    I actually prefer this method over the other one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your values, I think you have a good understanding of how light strikes planes. The only thing is though proportions seem off in some (most obvious example would be the waist / shoulders of this girl) and sometimes your figures become rather stiff. Keep up these studies, I think they will help. Also, how long are you spending on these? On gesture drawings you shouldn't spend too much time, as you're trying to get the 'gist' of the subject quickly. Of course you can also do longer exercises alongside. :p
    Cheers!

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cloudcan I really appreciate the comments and yes you are right my proportions aer off
    Gesture studies I try to spend only 2 mins on ( I am SUPER slow ) but I end up spending about 3-5...

I'll stick with my value studies and gesture studies before I move on to anything else

Do you have any tips to help me observe better?

Cloudcan also can I sell my soul to gain your talent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can honestly say you're not off to a bad start here. What are you looking to improve upon? I'd love to go over your work for you!

Also, by Rockman do you by chance mean Deborah Rockman?

Keep it up with the Loomis stuff, though. That'll take you miles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blindshot View Post
    I can honestly say you're not off to a bad start here. What are you looking to improve upon? I'd love to go over your work for you!

Keep it up with the Loomis stuff, though. That'll take you miles.
    What are you looking to improve upon?
    Definitely capturing accurate contour and value (especially value)

I'd love to go over your work for you!
    That would be fantastic! So far I am self taught. Taking a basic drawing course this semester so I am definitely hoping to see improvement with the help of CA as well as the course

I Mean exactly her! Haha I am currently reading her book Drawing Essentials

Keep it up with the Loomis stuff, though.
    I shall start on the Loomis Stuff Soon, Once I finish this damn book haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino_PuA View Post
    What are you looking to improve upon?
    Definitely capturing accurate contour and value (especially value)

I'd love to go over your work for you!
    That would be fantastic! So far I am self taught. Taking a basic drawing course this semester so I am definitely hoping to see improvement with the help of CA as well as the course

I Mean exactly her! Haha I am currently reading her book Drawing Essentials

Keep it up with the Loomis stuff, though.
    I shall start on the Loomis Stuff Soon, Once I finish this damn book haha
    Deborah Rockman is the head chairman of the drawing department of Kendall College of Art and Design, which is where I got to school! That's a great book, too. If you read that leading into Loomis, you'll be in great shape.

Would you mind at all if I drew up some diagrams next to or over your drawings to explain the advice I'm offering? It might be a day or two, but I'd be happy to do it.

Last edited by blindshot; January 21st, 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blindshot View Post
    Deborah Rockman is the head chairman of the drawing department of Kendall College of Art and Design, which is where I got to school! That's a great book, too. If you read that leading into Loomis, you'll be in great shape.

Would you mind at all if I drew up some diagrams next to or over your drawings to explain the advice I'm offering? It might be a day or two, but I'd be happy to do it.
    Really? Oh my I am so envious of you right now haha and awesome can't wait to finish it. I am going through it slowly making sure I get down each fundamental before moving on to the next

Would you mind at all if I drew up some diagrams next to or over your drawings to explain the advice I'm offering?
    I would be honored

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really nice studies going on in your sketchbook. Keep up the good observations skills!

Always strive for the things you love to do, and think of the difficulties that may arise as just another of many lessons.-- Michael Kutsche

http://theartworkofashes.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a couple more sketches.
    Consists of Gestures as well as smoe nose studies.
    Edit: Just did more gestures in angular form and some shape studies with value.

Things I learned:
    From the gestures that putting lines all over the place kinda takes away from the gesture if I am focusing solely on just making more lines.

For the gestures that line weight helps the viewer see where weight is shifted.
    And that line weight also emphasis hard and soft areas of light and shadow.

For the nose studies: It is all about using value to convey nose realism.
    For the Nose Studies: Where the side of the nose concave is where shadow is and the middle shaft is usually the lightest part.

Last edited by Kino_PuA; January 24th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketchbook, i like that dinosaur up top. it's great that you're reading books Loomis, they's help you improve a great deal. Just keep practicing & studying regularly, you're on the right track. Thanks for visiting my sketchbook & keep up the good work

DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are two more studies.
    One for value and some gestures.

I am going to try out a new work ethic to actually help me better my observation.
    Instead of worrying about value. I shall strictly worry just about contour just until I get it down. Symmetry, line variation, etc etc. I am going to learn to create volume strictly from line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kino PuA! Thanks for checking out my skechbook

You look like you're off to a great start here! You have some great observational skills, and the more you do these studies, the more you'll improve. Regarding your first studies of the flowers, I don't really know any "tricks" exactly when it comes to drawing flowers--like everything else in nature, it comes down to observation and practice. That said, many (I'd say pretty much all) flowers come down to the layering of flat planes (the petals). Whether you depict this overlap through value or contour alone is up to you, but if you pay close attention to how the forms twist, fold, and overlap, you'll be on the right track.

Your gesture drawings are also looking great! One thing you might want to try is working on some longer poses--that'll get you a nice balance between the energetic spontaneity of a gesture and the more focused study of extended life drawing. I noticed that your proportions are off in some places, particularly with the limbs on some of your figures--you can easily fix this by using your pencil or a stick to sight from the figure, taking measurements and comparing size relationships. It's a bit of a pain at first, but the more you do it, the easier and more intuitive it becomes.

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to seeing more

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Meps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meps just gave you a pro tip for life. Nothing else to add, but keep drawing and drawing and drawing.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CarbonBased For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meps thank you for the compliment as well as the advice. I decided you are that I need to learn about how FORM works.

Instead of using value right now to convey volume and depth I decided to just practice contours of objects and still create a realistic from it.

Here are some recent contour drawings I did

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on the cross contours of that skull. Dont be afraid to go a bit darker on your shading.

Also dont worry too much about being slow with your gestures. You are doing fine. As you learn how and what to simply you will get faster. Also do try some quick copies of gestures you like and you will start to see how they are simplifying things.

-----------------------------------------
    My Blog!
    http://www.whirlyart.blogspot.co.uk/

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.