Depaul BS Animation?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Depaul BS Animation?

Does anyone know how the BS Animation program at depaul is?
    If anyone has any info or has attended it, please tell me about their alumni and where they work, etc.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The animation program is pretty broad-- they teach pretty much every method: stop-motion, 3D, and 2D (both CG and traditionally). I know that they want you to experiment with all types of animation, so I'm not sure if they encourage focusing on one specific type in case that's what you want (that's what a BFA is for after all). The animation program is part of the college of computing and digital media, so the labs are shared by game art and computer science majors-- my impression was that it's a very technical program with little emphasis on art. I do know that big name companies like Pixar recruit from DePaul, but I'm not sure what percentage of graduates actually get jobs/interships at these companies. The student work is ehh. I wasn't too impressed. This is probably because they don't require portfolios when applying-- they want everyone to start out on the same level, so they're not exactly accumulating top-notch artists. I also don't believe that the teachers have much experience in the industry, but I could be wrong.
    I also remember asking them about their connections to film festivals, and they hadn't even considered having their students submit to them.

One good thing about the program is that their technology is all up-to-date, and there are even Cintiqs available in the labs which I thought was nice. They also do many small projects until senior year which is when the students make a short film, and I believe that's pretty standard for most schools.

It seems like a decent program from what I've seen, and school is really what you make of it... but personally I wouldn't consider this a first-choice school.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Splendoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While artistic vision remains a critical element in animation, artists must also be proficient in using the latest technology of the industry. DePaul's Bachelor of Science in Animation program focuses on the art and history of animation and explores the latest techniques used in 3-D animation in the film, television and game development industries.

As an Animation student, you will take courses in:

* 3-D character animation
    * Character modeling
    * Design
    * Rigging
    * Texturing and lighting

If you are interested in game art, you have the option of taking classes in the Computer Game Development program and participating in game development team projects.

The College of Computing and Digital Media has a strong relationship with many of Chicago's animation and production studios, allowing you to gain real-world experience through internships. Animation faculty members have had previous careers in animation, production, film, art and interactive media, serving as resources and counselors as you enter the media industry.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.