Sketchbook: do9's sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

do9's sketchbook

Hi,
    My name is Thomas, I'm 26 and I live in The Netherlands. I'm starting this sketchbook because I was inspired by the other sketchbooks here. There is a lot of improvement over the course of these sketchbooks. Also, I simply enjoy drawing . My goals is to improve my abilities but I also want to find out how much I enjoy it and whether I should pursue a career in art one day, or just keep it as a hobby. I'm pretty focussed right now and I can't wait to fill these pages and hopefully see some improvement in my own sketchbook eventually.

Plan: I'm joining in on community events such as the Spartan Camps, ChoW's and any other if I have the time. I'm working on fundamentals in the meanwhile: Anatomy at the moment (working through Bridgeman) - perspective, shading/rendering, color theory, etc. will follow. I'm also joinging life drawing classes at the community college nearby. I'll post progress in my sketchbook.

Please enjoy, any comments or critique is very much welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by do9; February 21st, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to do9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    To get things started. Here are the first 15 poses of this weeks Spartan Camp.
    Edit: Removed this image because these 15 are included in the 50 total poses in my next post.

Last edited by do9; January 23rd, 2012 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks
    I finished this week Spartan Camp. The goal was to do 50 gestures (as usual) and as optional some of them had to be functional poses. I used photo ref for most of them, and tried to cover a lot of functional poses. No posemaniacs or 'clearly posed ref' was used.

Also I bought Matt Kohr's Photoshop rendering tutorial. Had fun with it, and this is how it turned out. Pretty happy with the result as I don't render stuff that often :p.

Last edited by do9; January 9th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks
    I took my laptop and wacom to the life drawing session today. Some of the others were interested to see how digital painting works. It was a bit surprising how little these artsy people, teacher included, know about the digital options. I enjoyed the experience but next week it's back to analog, because that's one of the reasons why I'm attending these classes.
    Anyway, today's result:

Thanks
    Time for an update. This is slightly more than a week old, last week's ChoW.

Hopefully back tomorrow with a new update, I have some more Bridgman studies and should've had life drawing classes, so tomorrow: analog day

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook man, recommend getting an a4 diary for those bridgman studies on the train
    Would make it alot neater and easier to go back and see your improvements.
    Nice render too, I personally have been tossing up purchasing the same vid off Matt Kohr, but I think I'll finish more traditional stuff first :3

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Thanks for your comments Jaik! I would love to work on A4, but there's too little space in the train. The bridgman book is quite large so I rip an A5 sheet out of my sketchbook, lay it in the book and draw what's on the opposite page. It's a bit of a struggle at times but it works alright. Doesn't produce the best pictures though, I agree.
    The Matt Kohr tutorial was worth the money imo, but it kind of takes you by the hand and guides you almost too much. Still worth doing though.

So, like I said: analog day today! Took photos of my last Bridgman studies and todays life drawing session. We worked with coloured ink and the idea was to work with strokes. The first two turned out kind of watercolourish with little visible strokes, so when the third one started to go in the same direction I took out some bold red colors and started applying some strong strokes - hereby forcing myself to do the rest of the figure in the same fashion. Was a fun excercise, preparing us for oil paint in two weeks.

Last edited by do9; January 25th, 2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to do9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not the most productive week last week. I was away for the weekend so wasn't able to finish and enter my CHoW this week. This one was a struggle, I tried focussing on values more than anything, but generally I didn't really enjoy working on this piece. Maybe because the design wasn't all that.
    I did do some additional Bridgman studies this weekend, so I will upload those tomorrow, together with my new life drawing work.

I'd love to get some comments, specifically on the two CHoWs I did, the prophet one and the one in this post. I'm not sure what to focus on at this point, are these CHoWs too early and should I focus more on the fundamentals first?

Thanks
    Analog stuff, too lazy to get it off my camera yesterday, but here they are.
    Life drawing class wasn't going as well as last week imo. I think I went overboard on the ink piece and the portraits are a bit weak, but well.
    Last weekend I did some extra Bridgman studies, finishing the arm as subject. Moving onto hands as we speak - wow, they are difficult ^^

Thanks
    I finished this week Spartan Camp, 50 gestures - might do an additional shadow study tomorrow - although I already did some quick shadow studies in these sketches.
    Here they are:

Thanks
    Haven't been keeping my sketchbook up to date, but I haven't stopped drawing.
    First: Some gestures (linked from Spartan Camp 213).

Started doing some hand studies for this week's Spartan Camp(linked from Spartan Camp 214):

Additionally I've uploaded my bridgman studies. I know the photographs are crappy, I guess I'm only posting these just to show that I'm working on it . Not worth scanning these imo.
    Also I worked on last week's ChoW, the Time Asssassin. Mixxed feelings about this piece.

The last two weeks I've been working on an oil painting for the life drawing sessions, I probably finish it next tuesday and will upload a picture as soon as I have it at home (it's stored there at the moment).

Thanks
    No life drawing this week due to school vacations or something, so you'll have to wait another week for my oil painting. Then again, I don't think anyone is waiting ^^.
    Two pieces I'm working on, I'm having fun with these. All the practice sometimes makes you forget what you're doing it for.

Thanks
    very good sketching DO9 ......i love the arms and poses ....
    it is very clear. i love your line in these drawings.

Thanks
    Thanks for your comments Marko!
    I keep postponing updating my sketchbook, so here's some stuff I did recently:

Ofcourse a bunch of Bridgman, still on the subject of hands.

Some fast charcoal sketches from life drawing classes. The focus was on dynamic/tension.

Did a portrait study. I hope it's okay that I post the ref with it, I found it over at lovecastle.org's Drawing Script, from there it linked to 'Zophos' on Flickr. This one was quite difficult and confronting. Overlayed the picture at some point to see where I went wrong and fix it (no tracing!). I consider this cheating but I couldn't move forward otherwise I think. Still not so happy with it so far.

Working on ChoW right now, will post next week when it's finished.

I would love some critique! Hit me where it hurts ^^

Thanks
    Forgot some Spartan Camp studies, some of them I didn't even post there I think... Some of them are analog (the vague ones ^^), they were done without reference. Rest is done in Photoshop with reference.

Thanks
    Update time!
    I'm going to stop uploading the bridgman studies, I have a new sketchbook that doesn't require to rip out the pages for me to work on it. This does generate the problem that it's harder to photograph, it wasn't that interesting anyway. I've finished hands and am now working on the hips, legs and feet.

The attachments:
    - Lifedrawing, study that's focussed on tension in the muscles.
    - A portrait photostudy done in photoshop.
    - 4 lifedrawing portraits, charcoal and some white chalk.
    - The Siren for ChoW, didn't finish it though.
    - Costume practices as Matt Kohr from CtrlPaint suggested.

Thanks
    A month without updating, ouch. Had some trouble at work which made me reconsider my priorities. Although I spend less time drawing over the last month, I will be picking up the pace again.
    I have some analog stuff I wanted to share with you all. I haven't done a lot of digital work, I hope to explain why in a few months ^^.

A collection of analogue work, the two single figures (2nd and 3rd) are done from photo, the rest is drawing from life. The third one is an oil painting, which was a bit of a struggle. I'm somewhat happy how it turned out considering my lack of experience with oils.
    Any comments/critique very much welcome!

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook here do9! I like the last image in post 17, really dig those studies. Its always nice to see some work with traditional mediums. Cant wait to see more updates.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.