Sketchbook: Turpentine's Sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this week I have been trying to go all out to study figures, while I have not made huge leaps as I had hoped... I hope i've made strides. Some of these are okay, some are good and many are just plain bad. All of them are...interesting.

Attached Images Attached Images                                                    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well well well look who actually updated their sketchbook... You actually listened ^^. You did improve with those figs but theres a long road ahead. One thing I think can really help you is if you drew through the form, especially with your gestures. Then do some basic shapes to contruct then go to detail, that will help prevent wonkyness in the final drawings. Ok time for 100 more! and this weeks perspective.... good practice for that indoor room thing *cough*

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey buddy! I am Danny over at the skype study group. I just took a look over your stuff and I do see a lot of improvement in your figures. I just wanted to share something a professional illustrator told me which might also apply to you as well.

The reality is that the very act of drawing will cause you to improve, so you have improved; it is true.

What is also true is that you weren't ready for anatomy when you started, and you're still not ready, not even close, so in that respect you haven't improved in a way that is significant.

You simply do not draw anything well, let alone anything as complex as anatomy. For example, draw an egg, really understand it. You did a study of similar forms that had very careless lines, you may want to revisit that and do plenty of lighting studies so you have a more intuitive sense of the form in space. Draw a can, a glass, understand the cylinder form in space, see it and carefully express those ellipses so that it feels correct in space. Draw simpler forms, like milk jugs, various types of bottles and draw them carefully. Draw stacks of book, understand how they recede in space and overlap each other. Right now your drawings are generally careless. If you can draw these basic geometric objects successfully, your anatomy will automatically improve because you will generally understand how to express forms correctly. Even your drawings of cubes in perspective feels careless. If you draw anatomy as one careless form after another, they fail to connect and the drawing fails to express what you'd like. Think and draw... be precise.

Right now, even if you had a surgeon's anatomical knowledge, you cannot express it, you simply do not draw carefully, precisely and well enough.

Is that honest enough?

Stay with it.
    I hope that would help!

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh sorry I didnt see this sooner! Thanks for the quote Danny! It sounds like good advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought i'd update with these I've been working on today. The Abomination of a first one is not something I'm proud of but for the sake of measuring progress i'ma post it too

Last edited by Turpentine; January 31st, 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your large blocked shadows in your pencil and charcoal work! for an inking excersize, try making the shadow lines go around the direction of the shape. i'm really fond of your last couple pieces very nice job on the hair!

take a peek at my SKETCHBOOK?

die angenehmen Ungeheuer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeUnge View Post
    for an inking excersize, try making the shadow lines go around the direction of the shape.
    I'll try that, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are the works I will be submitting for the "Drawing Test" of the program i'm applying to. I know they're not perfect, and each of them has it's shares of flaws but I am proud of these, and hold the experience of producing them as valuable learning lessons. I endeavour to do my best.

EDIT: Which isn't to say i'm submitting THESE specific ones. God no. I need to work on these a lot more. These are what I intend to have. The poses and the models and the subjects etc etc

Last edited by Turpentine; February 7th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to improve my figure work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have some stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kamikazel33t JESUS, if i had been told that i would've jumped off a bridge. I mean...i know honesty, but those 4-5 opening sentences. Jesus.

I like the new studies, but i think it'd be easier to practice anatomy id you segmented parts of the bodies, like torso,leg,fore arm, rest of arm, etc. I used to do it alot, i took my mind of getting a perfect outline, and let me focus on other stuff, such as shading.

My sketchthing
    -------
    If i don't reply to questions on others sketchbooks, send me a message. I'm very scatterbrained

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LoudLikeNature For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, but it's good to get a hard crit that flat out says "No" to your crap. I have a lot of crap im trying to break myself of.

Yeah, I think a big part of good figures or good drawing in general is construction and understanding the actual depth and shape of what you're drawing. I'm still working on that but I definitely agree that shading is important for that. Not understanding the form of the body = shitty shading lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some 60 second gestures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 4