TROY : The Movie Event

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TROY : The Movie Event

I usually don't talk about movies that much, but MAN! This movie was pretty damn good, in my opinion. It was all very accurate, for the purists, and it had its share of action and melodrama. My only complain would be the part just after Helen is taken to Troy and Priam says something like "We have fought many wars. Why not fight for love?"

In that part, there was this huge speech that he gives, which is very nice. It includes the famous line "Does this look like the face that launched a thousand ships?" and it foreshadows the fall of Troy. The movie cut that whole speech out.

Anyways, for anyone who remotely likes history, action, Brad Pitt, or Orlando Bloom, SEE THIS MOVIE!

As good as Master & Commander :chug:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't seen this movie yet, and to be honest I don't have much of an intention to see it. My friend pointed this out in a conversation earlier, and I agree. Troy is taken from the Iliad. A huge factor in The Iliad is the Gods, yet their presence seems to play no role in the movie Troy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i didnt like it that much, to me it just felt like just another epic war movie.

heres a few things that bothered me.

*orlando bloom, i thought his acting sucked aynis at some parts, overacting.

*some of the sets felts....just like sets, and some people felt like if they had TO nice hair and TO nice makeup.

*THe huge fights were nice then they had so many fucking cuts i got dissoriented and didnt know wtf happened, samething happened in matrix III, they try to make you feel like if your in the center of the fight but now i just felt dissorienting and static.

* Brad pitt has a nice ass ( :p ) but hes been better in other movies.

thats my opinion. Im not saying you shouldnt watch it or anything but yeah.......my opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Orlando Bloom's acting sucked, I agree, and it wasn't all that historically accurate, now that I think about it. Still, I think it carried the important themes of the story and the whole culture of the war. I still think it rocked. The gods would have screwed up the movie. I mean, how would you implement the gods without the whole thing being another Clash of the Titans...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first off: i had to have an argument :argue: with the girl-friend , Orlando Bloom cannot act in every film he speaks the same he IS the same, every time i see him up there on the screen i expected him to jump around like the elf out of LOR OF THE RINGS,
    SHE SAYS: 'but hes good looking , umm look at that figure:inlove:'
    I SAY: 'Thats all really isnt it, thats not acting thats a body:mrt:'

:rant
    any way enough of the rant, Pitty the time line was all out of whack, and Achilles death. BY the Gods, other wise it was a film i would go and see again.

Last edited by WoadWarrior; May 17th, 2004 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    total crap.. but im appearantly harder to please than most..

wasnt Achilles cousin actually his gay lover in the book?
    fucking homophobic hollywood.. its been a while since i read it.

-Lono

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Lono

wasnt Achilles cousin actually his gay lover in the book?
    fucking homophobic hollywood.. its been a while since i read it.

-Lono
    Eh, i dont remember that,(i think i have to read it again, may by i blanked it out ), but back then (In Greece) it was considerd not to be homosexual if you were the one giving the sausage , the one which was on the reciving end was shuned and abused.

(As for homophobic hollywood they are bringin out Alexander the great and Collin Farrel is ment to be a Bisexual or homosexual in the film since Alexander the great was ment to be.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i pretty loved it especially the way achille fight... so much style ! the duel with hector was awesome to me !

I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    historically inaccurate (admittedly the history itself isn't that accurate), and poorly acted but the action was pretty good, although that looney jumpy stabby thing Achilles did bugged the shit out of me after the first time. The guy with the hammer was cool although that isn't really a classic greek weapon, he looked more like the guy on the mound near the start of gladiator.

Wasn't he meant to die by Paris' hand from a single poisoned arrow through the heel, not three or four in the chest?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't seen it.... but the way it looks it seems like Wolfgang might fuck up his next movie "Ender's Game"

I hope he doesn't...

I'm still gonna go see Troy, the people on this community are very hard to please ... but at least I know what to expect now.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what did u say Sammy ? Ender's game !! that's my all time favorite book, didn't know they'll do a movie with it... i hope they will not destroy O.S.Card's work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by young paddy1
    The guy with the hammer was cool although that isn't really a classic greek weapon, he looked more like the guy on the mound near the start of gladiator.

I dont know about the weapons back then, but with the movie-freedom I supose I the had to give the big Guy (Ajax) a imressive weapon to suit his size.

The big guy in the start of Gladiator is called 'Chic'
    (from Scotland). i dont think he responds to any thing else. But that was not him.
    (in a breif encounter with him in a 'battle' chic is a big guy i didnt recognise him, i wanted to flip him over my head since i was on the ground with our axes locked, i remember saying to him in between blows in saving my skin( his axe was way thicker and larger )
    ' I can kick you in the nuts and you can go over my head', he said "your not kickin' me, sorry but you gotta die!
    Then i relised who he was and submitted to my own death by a pretend blow to the head.

Generaly he was the one giving orders on the field i was surprised to see him out there especaily siince he was coming for me crying " WOADEE" with a huge axe over his head aiming for me...

Last edited by WoadWarrior; May 18th, 2004 at 05:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forge: Yep, Wolfgang Peterson's (Troy) next movie ----> Ender's Game.... I like Wolfgang (haven't seen Troy yet) ... I thought Neverending Story was great as a child.

good news is that they're committed to finding new child tallent for the parts.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just don't want to see Jake Lloyd as Andrew...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought the movie was trash. The music was just awful... the playing of cheesy triumphant music at all the wrong times, the hunreds of glamour shots Brad Pitt gets as he stares intently at something off into the distance and pouts, the hurried and spoonfed plot (give us some credit for chist's sakes)... There were some cool moments few and far between, but as a whole it came nothing close to the epic it was made out to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought the movie was good, not a master epic, but pretty good. The best parts to me were the intensity of some of the fights. Especially the fight set ups of first showing the toughness of Achilles easy wins at battle followed by extreme intimidation, in contrast with Paris's weaklingness as he fights the Kings brother by himself and fails terribly, showing how difficult and serious battle back then may have been. And ofcourse the intensity of Hector vrs Achilles battle, I just wish they would have made Hector more of a tough fighter, I saw his death in his eyes from the beginning of the movie. All of the love stories were written very flat, too scripted. I see in many movies it's rarley ever shown why exactly two characters fall in love. The only thing I'd fell in love with about Helen was her incredible cutness, frigging gorgeous, but their was nothing written about why the love was there between her and Paris, same goes for the others. I don't like it when the word "Love" is thrown around in movies without any real meaning, especially when it serves a grand purpose like in this movie. Also, I wished they explained more of how Achilles became so powerful a fighter, not the magical reason, but the realistic reason. In the movie, he was simply the best fighter and worshipped, and feared. All in all it wasn't a terrible movie, it wasn't Godzilla the remake like that one in the 90's. Although the irritation being forced to see Pitts body every few scenes is equivelent to getting your towel from your gym locker only to be disturbed by noticing there's a hairy naked guy taking a sip from the water fountian with only his socks on, the weirdos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A multi-million dollar productions, big names and it sucked like a three-episode B-channel TV movie.

It just did not cut it. Too much was unexplained, too much talk about non-important stuff that should have been acted. The actors did not make the many changes in the plotline believable for one minute.

This is just one big marketing event. From the first scene none of the battle gear was believable (the shields far too heavy, the spears far too short, etc). But the worst i.m.o. is the acting, the actors do not suspend my disbelief. They look as if they just walked out of the nearest starbucks discussing the last hockey game. At least not as if they are Greek or Troyan....

Only highlight was as always Sean Bean. He makes a fine Ulysses.

(Also, the book is much better, even if it's 3000 years old... Read it!)

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.