Art: Pre-College Portfolio. Need help!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Pre-College Portfolio. Need help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pre-College Portfolio. Need help!

Hey, guys RISD Pre-College applications are open, and I find I'm having a difficult time choosing only five pieces for my portfolio in order to apply for a scholarship. One of them is required to be a black and white drawing in a dry, fixable medium. The rest is free game, but they want applicants to demonstrate a wide proficiency in a variety of mediums. This is my first time ever assembling a portfolio, and I was wondering if any of you with more experience could help a girl out? My first choice major is Illustration.

I've written my essay and my weighted GPA is a 4.6 (out of 4.8), so I'm not really worried about not being academically eligible. I just need help choosing which pieces to include or if you feel that there aren't five portfolio-worthy pieces and that I should do more.

EDIT: I sent my application out today. Cross your fingers for me!

Last edited by l'Aria; January 11th, 2012 at 06:41 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your still life art is amazingly good put those in definitely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Surge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could you post their specific guidelines? That would help tons with which ones you should enter. Just copy paste in the instructions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Capt Surge: Thanks so much! I don't know if I'll be able to put all of my still-life pieces in because I'd like to include one or two pieces from imagination. Are there any in particular you like?

SweetPea: I summarized in my first post, but if you rather I copy what was said in their guidelines:

"A non-returnable computer disc (CD or DVD) or USB flash drive containing five (5) artwork samples that best represent the student's artistic abilities; include as much of a variety of media as possible, however, at least one (1) sample must be a black-and-white drawing done with graphite pencil or any dry (fixable) medium."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updating the first post with this new figure study:

Pre-College Portfolio. Need help!

I definitely like it more than the other one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new figure study is great! The original one had kind of a wide, awkward head; this is much nicer. (I think the hair could use another pass, though, it feels a little flat compared to the rest of it.)

In the original post, I think your strongest pieces are your digital ones, especially the digital still life. It's much stronger than your acrylic still lifes, but of the acrylic ones, I like the bottom one best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'd suggest dropping the second and fourth pics (tiger and white phoenix). the tiger would really lower the overall quality of the portfolio (and the anatomy on the kid is way off in comparison to your more recent work), and the cover piece doesn't hold well next to the rest of your work either. other than that, you've got yourself a pretty good batch!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hueonpao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revidescent: Thank you! Yeah, I noticed the same thing which is why I drew the second figure study. I'll take a look at the hair

I know my strength lies with my digital pieces, but I have to include a variety of mediums (and only five pieces tops), so I think only two will be digital. The problem is deciding which.

Thanks again for your input!

hueonpao: Thanks for the suggestions! I was planning to revise the tiger piece if I included it, but maybe it's not worth the trouble after all.

Last edited by l'Aria; January 11th, 2012 at 06:42 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.