laptop for painter?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: laptop for painter?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

laptop for painter?

So do you use a mac or a pc when it comes to digital work? I am split between a cheaper but wider screen dell laptop and a smaller screen mac pro with similar pricing:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/pr...n&s=bsd&~ck=mn

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ly/macbook_pro

Anyone have experience with both? I have never done digital painting before. I plan to use it for painter 12, and possibly photoshop.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're going to use Mac, just know that 64 bit is not available yet for Painter 12 (dunno what ETA they do have it ready for).

I use an i3 laptop (lenovo) with 8 gbs of ram and it performs just fine for my needs. It worked on a B940 duo core previous to that, and an older Lenovo as well as the Motion Computing LE1700

I pretty much do not pay any more than 500 for a laptop. Besides macbooks, other laptops just drop in price so fast that 1200 you spent could have saved up for a Cintiq or a better tablet/monitor parts for a PC.

I just see little justification in it, and that even includes slate PCs. I know people may have the cash to spend and enjoy the Samsung slate, but I don't see many blogs or posts on how they did full blown paintings in it - they always end up finishing on a desktop. So you need enough to sketch and get enough done that you can do final touches on your main work haul.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I had bad experiences with Dell products, so I will get a Lenovo this time.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm generally a staunch Lenovo supporter, and I still really love the construction of the laptop I had, but I also had a bad experience with them. It was 2 months before I was given this replacement model: http://www.amazon.com/review/R335ZAN...tag=&linkCode=

You'll see in the review I had a previous laptop with a sound problem Lenovo refused to acknowledge, but since I was under warranty it escalated to a Customer Relations team and I got that unit as a replacement.

Anyways, I mentioned on this model there was an issue color as these monitors tend to be too blue in display. I had it calibrated with the Spyder, but the issue is actually with the intel graphics driver - http://communities.intel.com/message/138378#138378 if you have a custom profile. However you can also manually manage the color settings in it as well I just had it calibrated with the Spyder for better accuracy.

That being said for the price and construction it's actually pretty good. I'm glad they started putting the number pads on these units too since I do a lot of databasing and use 10key pretty frequently.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Vay

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    Anyone have experience with both? I have never done digital painting before. I plan to use it for painter 12, and possibly photoshop.
    Arshes has pretty much answered your question here;
    if you don't plan to use an external monitor, than go for the biggest screen size for your money;
    painter 12 for mac is, sadly, inferior to windows version (no 64 bit support; various screen artifacts probably due to ati cards in current macbooks (I'm blaming corel's fucked up coding though); slow UI;
    2 GB of ram that p. 12 works with are getting filled up quite quickly if you're working with print-size documents;
    overall, I've had better experience with painter IX.5 and X on mac, those are working better than their windows counterparts;
    with 12, I'm quite disappointed — I'd probably doubt switching to mac if painter was the only tool I was working with.
    however, PS and artrage have been performing better for me on mac;
    also, mac os wacom drivers are better coded.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Vay

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.