Sketchbook: Joshua lyness' sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Joshua lyness' sketchbook

Hey guys, I'm now 18 and just finished my A levels, this sketchbook shows my journey of art, starting really at 16 doing GCSE, Anyway hopefully you'll enjoy my work.

Thanks for all the support and crits, Josh.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by joshualyness; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Is the entire first post made up of paint-overs? because you should probably start with some studies. draw figures and do still life. You've got a lot of time to practice so keep at it

Thanks
    Hey man, thanks for stepping by!

I totally agree with WRappiii and I have a few advice for you, basic ones since I'm not any pro

-screw contour tracing, it looks better than what you can really draw but it ain't gonna teach you much

-stop using soft brush at all for a while, it doesn't look very good if you don't know when to use it

-try some only greyscale drawings, best way to practice value

-resize your images before posting here, I think 1000 px wide should be a maximum

-pay attention to the world around you, observe. It can sound silly and obvious but it's not so. Look at people's faces, clothes, environment, details, everything.

- posemaniacs, still life, photo studies (but not trace overs!), but imagination stuff is also important to develop your imagination and it's ofc more fun than studies

Good luck

Thanks
    hey dude- only trace when correcting free-sight errors, its unsighly and shows in your first post.

try to scale down your images via an online image uploader (imgur) to make them forum-friendly.

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    I had to move images from first post to here, changing thumbnail.

By joshualyness

By joshualyness

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for the advice guys, here is the digital version of my gcse art final piece, the face is traced in this one.....
    Il try to churn out a few drawings this week with hard brushes, i have never really touched them...

Last edited by joshualyness; June 13th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    I havent been drawing as much lately with schoolwork but i have been working on my esa and project so il get those both up, heres my final piece for my esa though, it is supposed to show emotions as objects that can be put on. from left to right they show anger, fear, and happiness. (i had 10 hours of school time to draw this.)

Last edited by joshualyness; March 25th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    Here's all of my gcse pages, Please exuse any wrong order or missing pages uploading was a huge pain

Thanks
    Here are some doodles i decided to do today, the first one was painted with a with a fork and the second was painted, They are supposed to be my mum working and a self portrait respectively, i like how the self portrait looks but the first seems too vague.
    My paint palette also seemed like a piece of art in itself by the end

Thanks
    hi i recomend u learn the very basics of drawing, it doesnt seem to be evident in alot of your work, find some drawing books in your library or bookstore for a start. and dont rush anything, think about the lines u are putting down. great start

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I went Back to basics a wee bit this afternoon and did a few exercises i found here http://drawsketch.about.com/od/learn...nhowtodraw.htm
    1-Making marks with a pencil.
    2-Blind drawing ( drawing an image without looking at paper).
    3-Pure contour drawings.
    4-Cross contour drawing.

The outcome...

Thanks
    the hand looking good man, and thx for ur visit! Keep it up

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good job going back to basics! A quick crit on your cross contours - remember to really wrap the lines around the form. Fingers especially have really distinct planes; don't just draw curved lines along the top, but really think about how they turn near the edges. Maybe try getting a bunch of different sized rubber bands and putting them around your wrist and fingers to see how that works. Quick drawover:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I noticed that in your first few posts that your line control was a bit wonky, but in the last post you've gotten better which is great

Also here's a list of books that may help you as well http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ht=art+e-books

and some of them are available online for free download, I'm currently doing studies from Bridgman's books and they've been pretty helpful for me so far. Keep up the good work on your SB ^^

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Revidescent - Thanks for pointing that out, il have another go and see if i can get my lines more correct.

Kanda- Thanks for the advice il check a few of those out.

Thanks
    Hey guys, ive been inactive on here since last summer, mainly just because i have been working pretty hard at school and all of the coursework i have to do there. I did art, technology, and media studies this year which i thouroughly enjoyed and im looking forward to a summer of trying to further hone my skils. I am 17 now and this post shows all of the coursework that i did during my as level art. The ESA project shown first is "Covert and Obscure" Then second project which was my main focus was "Structures" in which i studied the aging process. Some of the images are really a awefull quality, i cant understand why this happened to some and not all and i cant get new photos until the 20th of June so i apolagize for that. However i will get better quality ones up to replace the bad images as soon as possible. I think that my art has progressed a fair bit this year from GCSE level, traditionally anyway. Particuarly my oil paintings i was overall the most pleased with.. This summer i hope to work more digitally and try and progress there aswell.

Take a look at my work and critique away haha, every opinion helps.

Thanks
    Hey guys, i started a new project recently called 200 pages of summer, focusing on the fundamentals to try and boost the overall quality of my work. Ill get the first pages up soon,Ive also being working on a few larger pieces just whenever i get in the mood, the first two i think ill just leave as they are, gonna push the last environment though and try and get it done for teen challenge.

Thanks
    Hi there! I must say, I really like the fact that your work is so diverse! The 200 pages is a good idea, don't stop at 200 though Make sure to keep drawing from life as well!

Thanks
    Hi there.
    Saw you in the teen challenge section, thought I'd drop by. Definitely some improvement going on.
    Can't really say much that hasn't already been said. I like the last one, some real effort went in there getting everything clean and in perspective. There is still more to be done with it if you feel like it; the light from the lamppost would not be all that confined to a single beam- it would spill out on the ground and make reflections and shadows. I don't have the knowledge to be specific, sorry :/

When they ask you why you didn't become a professional artist, must the answer then be laziness?
    Join me in search of a better answer.

Thanks
    Well, I've finally finished secondary school, ive had another big year of coursework for Media studies, Art and Technology, all of my art work is in school but i will photograph it soon and upload it here but for now any way here is some of my media studies work based on an idea for A film called "Troubled"

Next Year I'm heading off to study foundation Art and Design at the University of Ulster (Provided I get 2 C's) but in the mean time ill hopefully get a load of practice in this summer and get my digital painting in particular up to scratch.

The main concept of the film was to construct a subversive and challenging representation of women in the crime drama genre. The main character Sarah is a mother of two whose husband has been murdered in a paramilitary attack in Northern Ireland and has now set out to wreak revenge.

Members who have read this thread: 4