Variety of stuff for critique (a little pile up)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Variety of stuff for critique (a little pile up)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Variety of stuff for critique (a little pile up)

Haven't posted much art stuff for a while..so, I have a bit of stuff piled up. Here's a bunch of stuff, if you guys'll take a look, I'd be happy!

A few zbrush sculpts, textured a couple of them, plus a couple of oils, done on an infrequent basis, since I don't have my own studio haha.

C&C much appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should separate these out in to multiple posts if you want to get specific critiques rather than a "you should study _________ more".

What are you looking for with the models? If it is modeling crit, post some wireframes. If it is design crits I think the main thing I would say is that they all look very generic, save the vagina-mouthed crab-apiller. Are you designing for lead characters or background? (BG characters would be better generic so your attention is not drawn from the leads.)

As to the oil paintings, google "core shadow". Learning about and adding core shadows to your pieces will help bring depth and realism to your pieces.

Hope that helps. I will sleep now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bai Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, and start a sketchbook thread. You will get much better advice if you only post one image in the crit section and use the thread to post lots of updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With the dragon, since its wings wouldn't allow it to fly, it looks like it's going to be dragging its tail as it walks. I'm not sure what could be done about that, but it seems like the creature will have a hard time walking with the tail dragging. Also, has the slug-like creature been parasitized by a sort of crab? Looks like a horseshoe crab has attached to the slug's head and made it grow foreign legs. The oils look nice, but they could be improved with Bai Fan's suggestion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msafs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I apologize for making this harder than it needs to be to give comments! Really sorry!

I did think of making seperate posts, but I didn't want to spam, so I lumped it all into one. I suppose I should have been clearer about what I want critiques on....but I wanted critique from any directions that anyone cared to make, so rather than lock it down, I made it an open thing. I should have been clearer, again, sorry!

Having said that, there are a couple of comments that made me think harder, specifically the one about my generic designs, so it wasn't all bad. Thanks Bai Fan!

I will post some wireframes tmr. I planned to dump all these into my sketchbook as well later on(I have one), but I don't make enough posts to keep the sketchbook up. I usually get better responses here.

I have looked up core shadows, and I will pay more attention to my paintings from here on. I don't know how much I can change the ones I have, I will have to see.

The sculpts are really more studies than any deliberate attempts at designing something. The guy started off as an anatomy study, then I just wanted to try my hand at photoreal texturing a human, and then I thought, might as well throw some clothes on the guy. The Vagina Crab-piler (excellent name, I'm stealing that!) started off as just trying to see if I can get the feel of jiggly fat and loose skin thingamajiggy on things not distinctly human, and the horseshoe parasite and crab claws and vagina mouth just kinda happened because I was having fun (idon'thaveissuesiswear). The winged lizard is just something I did for fun during the vacation. I was actually thinking of throwing in a hang-glider and then rigging him up into some posey stuff with some caption about flying later on.

However the generic design comment did hit home, as I said. I'm giving it some serious thought at the moment. I'm not really a designer of any sort. Just a modeller/texture painter, I'm a lot more used to following someone else's design than coming up with something striking of my own. Meditate on this, I will!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    On the first 3D piece, the irises are much too small, it gives him a doll-eyed look.
    The oils are lovely, try to differentiate your textures more.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the encouragement and comments Elwell! I think maybe I'll just do a digital touch up on the oils, to reflect on the comments. It's a bit difficult for me to touch up it in traditional mediums. Well, not difficult, just a really long affair. I only get to work in oils for like 4 hours a week haha. I was thinking, maybe if I get the digital version kind of right, at least I'll have a direction to work for in the oils and thereby cut down some time. I think haha.

Anyhow, here's my wire frames and I've enlarged the iris. My wires are really simple. I don't do much organic modelling, so if anyone has comments, please, I would love to hear them! (Oh, and I have no wires for Vagina Crab-apiller. He's just a sculpt)

Attached Images Attached Images            

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.