Sketchbook: Whirly's World of Wonderful Shiny Things - Page 9
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Whirly's World of Wonderful Shiny Things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have been rather quiet on skype as of late... Whats up man? Can really see the pay off of that loomis in those last few posts. Nicely done.

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i like those latest figures! they stand out, work hard on those studies tue improvement shows but it takes time and also try to exaggerate as much as you can a pose, the more twist and shit it has the more you have to THINK about them and the more youll work yourself, eventually all of that will be automatic but in the mean time take the time and experiment with the figure

uuuupdates uuupdates! hahaha post some more updates!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    working hard and it is paying off! And that puppy is gorgeous.

Freelance Artist Website : http://www.allyalbon.com

Blog : http://allyalbon.wordpress.com/

Black Cat Chronicles : Soul Thief now published
    http://aileenpettigrew.wordpress.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The progression in your thread is simply inspiring! It's amazing to see your skill grow through each page. By the way, what did you think of the Scott Eaton course? I'm thinking of applying for it.

Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wing: Im herrrrreeee Thanks its good to know that someone can notice studies paying off because its so hard to notice it in one's own work. Work hard, I wanna see some groovy animation from you!

lionheartGFX: Thanks! Great advice!

AllyAlbon: Thanks Ally!

MiladThaha: Im glad someone can see progression. I can kinda of see it if I squint really hard so its definitely helpful to hear. About the Scott Eaton course, its excellent. Scott really knows his stuff and I mean REALLY. The content is fantastic but its definitely, in my opinion, better for advanced artists. I think people would get the most benefit from it when they can actually draw the figure pretty well and want to take it to the next level with anatomy mastery. I would say CGMW (probably Michael Hampton) might be a better bet at the beginning since their courses actually teach you how to draw and I'm loving the Dynamic sketching class. Feel free to ask any questions about the classes though mate as I am planning on writing a review at the end of this one. Happy to go into any detail you like.

Iv been doing loooooaaaads gesture drawing everyday since last post. Its definitely making a difference with my life drawing classes. Not sure you can actually see it but I'm definitely finding it easier and less stressful.

Im obviously not posting everything just random stuff but it feels like I have tripled the amount of drawing I have been doing. What ever it is that I am doing it definitely FEELS like its working!

CGMW Dynamic Sketching Homework (A bit rough, I'm rushing the homework due to time. I am going to do do everything again x3 hopefully once the course finishes probably over christmas)

Digi Gestures

3D 3D 3D

Life Drawing

Visual Library Expanding

Photostudy

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will get right on it with the animation sir! Nice to see an update from you! Some of the arms from the life drawings are a little wonky, may be good to touch up on arms a bit. Other then that overall good update. I am satisfied now . How is the Life drawing treating you?

“To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The form studies look great! I would say you are pretty good at digital gestures when it comes to line quality, I am not sure what exactly happened with your first traditional life drawings as they seem pretty wonky and appear to be falling apart, construction wise, your other smaller traditional gestures look as good as your digital gestures except for the line quality. Perhaps maybe working with the traditional medium a bit more might help you out?

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Whirly, thanks for the helpful message and kind words on my sketchbook You are really putting in the work here, it's amazing. Your dedication is already paying off, though I know it's difficult for you to see it because it happens gradually. You asked me about tips for economy of line, so I'll try to give it a shot:

Basically, to achieve economy of line you need to reduce the amount of lines you make to the most necessary ones. So one of the things to start with is finding out which lines really define a shape, and what different kinds of lines communicate. CCsears' Mentoring Thread 1 is a goldmine of information on line quality, so it's definitely worth looking at. It explains edges types as well, which for a long time I never knew much about.

Aside from that, I think your CGMW course has probably laid a really nice groundwork for you to work on line quality from. Sometimes though, line economy isn't a great thing, especially in concept art where ideas must be clear - line economy leaves a lot to the viewer's imagination, especially if you're using lost edges and omitting lines completely.

Lastly, it helps to be relaxed and drawing just for the sake of it. In the case of the picture you mentioned in my sketchbook, I was just trying out a new brush pen I had bought, and I was really enjoying playing with all these new tricks I hadn't been able to do with other pens. I did not have much of an aim besides that - just wanted to draw some people, capture their gesture in few strokes and experiment. It's much more of a "feeling" way of drawing than an analytical "okay what am I constructing, where does the perspective go, is it accurate etc". Try to not think too much - just pure focus on the act of drawing, with intent in every stroke, and spaciousness between.

I hope this helps you at least a little, it's not the most organized post but maybe you can glean some information off of it. The CCSears mentoring thread is definitely a must-read though.

See ya buddy!
    C

PS: your sculptures are exquisite. I think you should study their 3D forms, rotate them... try to connect the neurons you use when sculpting, and the neurons you use when drawing. Your drawing can benifit from your sculpting.. bigtime!

Last edited by ceddo; December 4th, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
    My Portfolio

My Sketchbook
    Please feel free to add a comment, I appreciate all feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey whirly AMAZING UPDATE MAN!! good to see your timing your poses and all, that life drawing its gonna get you to the next level stick to it, also those perspective practice look cool i need alot of that! hahaha so as shameful as i am i will steal that excercise from you :B, have you tryed doing some practice on body lagnuage?

try naming lots of different emotion the shadier the word its the more you will have to compell it with the pose you are getting comfortable around the figure and proportions are second nature thats really good to see, you are STEADILY improving man its so awesome! dont be discouraged just stick to things and draw draw draw draw, and remember you ahve to think twice as much as you draw

lets both keep up man!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the frogs~ Excellent work ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Whirly! Nice work here! You're pushing yourself really hard - I love it - Moooooaarrrrrrrr!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whirly really great perspective study love them man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good update! Did you do those digi gestures before or after the lifedrawing? They're way stronger than those two images just after them, though some of the lifedrawing work below that is also pretty good. You're starting to get a really good sense of 3D, like those shape studies a lot, and the portrait photostudy is really nice. (Only thing that looks really off is her nose, the bridge feels too wide, like it doesn't connect to the centre and the nostrils correctly.)

Looks like you past posted a couple of months back now, curious to see how the dynamic sketching course is going for you. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boom! Sketchbook update! Haven't bothered in a while and had a bit of a slump and have a few things on the go as well as this stuff. The life drawing is from ages ago now! about to start a new term this week and the HUNDREDS of gestures drawings I have done since then I feel a lot more confident with the human figure. Despite slump I'm still in a good place

Old homework i didnt post from CGMW .. I am SOOOO looking forward to doing this all again, hoping to take some time off work so I can really do this homework from the beginning properly

Old Life drawing

Notes ....... although you might not be able to tell at the moment but all my study at home is broken into two parts. 1. Notes - so i only refer to my notes and not the books/videos I am using, this way my notes needs to be perfect. 2. Grind - where I do a 50 or so of the same thing until I can do it from memory. This is a BAD example!! .. the loomis heads are not good grinding for me at the mo! It needs to be much much simpler, no features. Just the structure!!! BAD WHIRLY! other grinds going on though

Random

Wing: Lies! where are the animations! MORE ANIMATIONS!! GET TO WORK!! Back to life drawing this week so hopefully it will treat me nicely.

kamikazel33t: You are definitely right .. although I am starting to really like all the pen gestures I am doing which I might post at some point I really need to sort out my line quality when working with traditional, its getting there though.

ceddo: Really awesome advice Ceddo thanks so much for taking the time to write it out for me and help me out.

lionheartGFX: Thanks mate! its really great to hear that

Hisao: They were definitly fun to do and you learn so much as long as you are thinking in 3D. Try it! pick an animal (the kind of spherical ones like frogs are the easiest)

Pierce: pushing!!

Yemi775: I need to jump back into perspective and get it second nature, this time next year I need to be one environments in one way or an other.

Rev: thanks Rev you are are a constant inspiration. About the dynamic sketching I need to really spend some time on all the fantastic stuff Pete went over. Head down work hard.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job with the Loomis studies. Just keep pushing through and stay consistent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the stuff besides ur work... u crazy working maschine! U really improved on the human figure.
    Just keep it up this looks really promising

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man those studies!
    lots of improvement on figures!
    loving the sculps (and the frogs : D so cute!)
    more please! : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back to sketchbook land good to see you've been keeping busy. There's some cute stuff in that post, the cow & the random post- they kinda look like people made of wine corks. I like those

Happy sketching- keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're really busting your ass man! Moar moar moar! Be loose but think clearly. Get stuff happening!

I am Othrandir and Othrandir means me.

E-MAIL : NICKOLAYORDANOV@GMAIL.COM

PORTFOLIO

Twitter

Tumblr

CGHub

DA

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys.

Lil update:
    When I first started this sketchbook last year it was mostly copies of drawings and when they came out well I was really proud. I have just done these studies and am not proud at all because I dont know if I'm wasting time with copying so i guess that means I have progressed. I hope I am learning subconsciously while doing these?????

More work from Ramon Hutaurto's notes: ... ( http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...nd-Demos/page2 )

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice hard work whirly i love it! specially the hampton studies, there is a possibility you will forget the info you just leanred if you dont apply it to something from head, or atleast reinforce it yourself with some sort of practice you can come up with, the good thing is that you CAN improve thorugh repetition and mileage alone theres something about drawing the same subject thousands of times that makes you understand it, or atleast remember it, so keep it up i want to see more creative stuff too, play the game

My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, your sculpts are epic, I want to see MOOOOORE. great studies as well, shows me I really need to start doing this stuff as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are so right lionheartGFX, its also the most fun part but also the most scary part because obviously the drawings wont look as good but I need need need to do them!

Thanks Setherial I will definitely do another sculpt or too soon. The thing is sculpting in zbrush and rendering in photoshop (absolutly cant render for crap with traditional!!) are the things I find easiest so I am trying to concertrate on what I am really struggling with.

Life drawing from tonight. Doing more tomorrow. Twice in one week epic!

I don't notice that much in terms of improvement in my actual drawings from my life drawing but there is definitely a huge difference when I'm actually drawing. When i first started i used to do loads of 10 min drawings over and over for the long pose because I had no idea what to do but this the timing felt a lot more comfortable ... so it feels easier, feels like I'm learning and am engaged more but doesn't necessarily look much better at least to me. Overall positive

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff with the notes, and it looks like you're really getting a handle of the figure and the head in 3D. I went back and looked at the first page of your SB, you've come a long way in a year. =D

On the lifedrawing, both your latest and the ones further up the page - I've noticed that something missing in most of them is a sense of weight. I know that's kind of a nebulous critique, but it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why. I think some of it's just in the way you're shaping the bottom of the feet, and it's not an issue present in most of those digi gestures earlier. The one in the upper-right corner of the latest batch - she seems to be leaning back in such a way that the bent arm would need to support her, but there's no sense that it's making contact with anything, or bearing any weight. If she was leaning back against something, roughing it in with just a line or two would help immensely, but I think it would also help you to pay a little more attention to areas where the body (feet, or whatever else) are making contact with the surface. The digi gestures feel more constructed in space than your IRL lifedrawing, a sense of perspective, some thought of how the feet relate to each other on a 3D plane... that hasn't translated. (This crit is all over the place, blag, hopefully something in there is helpful.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits Rev you are definitly right .. its much harder for me to feel the space on weight on bigger drawings I need to stand further back I think but I will definitely concentrate on it more!

Another bad life drawing done with a twig and a pot of ink!

My Sketchbook

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More life drawing. Charcoal on the end of a long stick. LOVE using it! gesture that way then hold the charcoal closer and darken the right parts. Much happier with this.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are getting SO much better dude.

Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    More life drawing. Charcoal on the end of a long stick. LOVE using it! gesture that way then hold the charcoal closer and darken the right parts. Much happier with this.
    That's how Hale did it - and he was a magician, I think.
    You might find some of his stuff on youtube - our school had all his tapes, we watched them every week before anatomy class. How someone can draw with a 3 foot stick is beyond me- it took me years to get over my death grip syndrome lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wing man you've come such a long way you better not stop haha. I really like those form studies all id say is try to be more confident in your strokes meaning really think about each line and doing and to watch your proportions when drawing things from imagination. Otherwise keep on keepin on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephane Perez View Post
    Wing man you've come such a long way you better not stop haha. I really like those form studies all id say is try to be more confident in your strokes meaning really think about each line and doing and to watch your proportions when drawing things from imagination. Otherwise keep on keepin on
    Was that for me?

Hey whirly! Those last life drawings turned out pretty nice! Watch your feet though. I would like to some you do something imaginative with your new found knowledge. Its pretty neat seeing how much your brain soaked up from all the rl stuff.

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 109