Sketchbook: Whirly's World of Wonderful Shiny Things - Page 7

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Whirly's World of Wonderful Shiny Things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ixallus Will try my best!

This was supposed to be an exercise in patience and taking the time to copy properly. Well .. I did neither which is why its kinda messy! Well you learn from your mistakes. Its a copy from Norman Schureman who was one of the main Art Centre Vizcom guys.

Whirly's World of Wonderful Shiny Things

On another note this brown sketchbook here ... well I have had it for over a year too afraid to use it because its nice and Im shit. WELL THIS IS THE FIRST PAGE WOO

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So my life drawing turned out unexpected!!!

CAN'T NOT SEE KERMIT FACE ON BELLY!!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one

Last edited by Whirly; May 21st, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely beard/dinosaur illustrations. i like the paper of your sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doodle before work

Clearly I need to practice my ellipses!! LOL!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...yep, you need to practice ellipses, as well as just basic straight lines and the like. I think this video has a few tips on that stuff - drawing with your elbow instead of your wrist, mostly. Pay a little more attention to your hatching as well. In some places, it has kind of a scribbly feel. The area around the figure's head on the car is a bit haphazard - I can't tell what you're going for with it, there's just a bunch of lines that aren't coming together into any sort of texture or tone.

The Schureman studies are really nice, and made me look up his stuff... great stuff to study from, he's got some great lines and it looks like you're really picking up on them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ur absolutely right Rev. So boring practicing that stuff but I need to do it!!

I have been drawing loads but not really updating my sketchbook because I am using pencil and paper and its pain and the cam on my phone is shitty.

Anyway here is a few sketches from today. Just COPYING some work from my heroes.

I am going to be doing lots of copying because I feel its helping out some maybe.

Saying that these are naff but oh well ...

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've really been working hard since I last stopped by! Your work has really built up some great volume over the past few months and I can definitely see that the Vilppu studies are giving your gestures more life .

It seems like your doing all the right things to keep improving so I'll just say carry on!
    Also, If you don't already know about it. Living lines is a great website, with scores and scores of cartoon reference, model sheets, and all that jazz.
    Personally I'm a Glen Kean fan girl - I want to be like him when I grow up ^_^ so there's a link to some of his stuff too.
    Happy sketching!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhubix: You have just named my favorite blog and current favorite artist!!!!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup Whirly, came here to check out the rest of your sketching. It might be fun to do a few disney characters from imagination after you're done with those studies. Pick a children's rhyme or some kind of story you know and draw a few things based off of it. Or something along those lines maybe.

My Sketchbook!This scrub needs your guidance

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Whirly,

Not doing bad, here. Everyone has a start somewhere. Persistence and consistence is key to acquiring any skill. Mastery is the application of the concepts you learned - what's called mileage.
    Don't knock your work. Each one provides a lesson, good or bad. I don't know if you've heard this one before - There are no failures, just experiences. I see design kernels in your doodles. As you absorb more, you're understanding increases and your drawings will change. Part of your study process is analysis, which I see you are making an effort at. Think: What is it that you like about this drawing/sketch?
    Trying to reproduce that in your own forces you to deconstruct a bit which is the basis of understanding an approach or even style.

My suggestion and to answer your question: Understand construction, learn proportions of the body, memorize them. When you are faced with a live model, part of your battle will be won. Accuracy stems from knowing the parameters of the figure. Some of the ideas and approaches are abstract as well as observation. They both contribute in very important ways.
    Speed is secondary. Understanding the basics and working out your drawing issues is priority.

Stay hungry!

BTW The animation and music is wonderful. Thanks for turning me on to these artists!
    Can't stop listening to Gotye!!

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would add to Aztec's excellent points one other thing:

You have to push yourself, and push into places you are not comfortable with.

You have to make mistakes to learn. If you feel confused and like you aren't in
    control, that means you are doing exactly what you need to be doing and
    you just need to keep pushing. Your breakthroughs nearly always come
    just after the point when you are ready to give up. Thats where the persistence
    comes in.

Also be constantly re-evaluating your approach. Find your bad habits and vices.
    Ask yourself if you are just chasing your tail, staying inside your comfort zone.
    Practicing bad habits just reinforces them. Isolate the issues that are at the root
    of your problems and attack them with full force.

On speed, particularly as it relates to life drawing: Aztec said "Speed is secondary."
    This. can. not. be. reiterated. enough. One of the worst habits there is is rushing.

What you will find, once you begin to understand the process and the subject, is that
    there is not that much to do, in a given drawing. You actually waste most of the time,
    just scampering all around the page.

Watch a skilled painter some time...they often just sit there observing and making design
    decisions for long seconds, then place a single stroke, then look at their painting to see
    the effect of that stroke, then look back at their subject, then make another stroke.

Its the difference between a brawler who just flails around with his fists and a skilled fighter
    who can take you out with a single well-timed punch. In the end, its faster to take your time.

Keep pushing! You are absolutely on the right track with your figure and anatomy studies.
    Always try to simplify...its less confusing and makes bolder statement. Keep an eye out for
    the rhythms and contrasts that give your drawing life and energy. Draw more jungle birds.

they are pretty awesome BTW

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I wasn't expecting such fantastic feedback from the both of you.

Going to try and take it all on bored. Thanks so much!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow seems you struggled with what im struggling now haha, youre good man you have improved alot! that i cant seriously tell you the anatomy and kchen did paid off BUT maybe you did it too mechanically and another thing, life drawing is HARD seriously hard dont beat yourself up if you cant do it well the first time even pros have a hard time getting used to it, but it will come in time, you have talent bro keep it up ill come by from time to time

Good luck and cheers

PS: come by my SB if you can. id really like some tips from you

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog
    My website
    #Bestyear

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

UPDATED 2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words Lionheart,

Asortment of mostly copies from stuff. Descovered with help from forum members how AMAZINGLY AWESOME Preston Blair's book is. Really helping me out with construction. I have a looooooong way to go though.

Been feeling really down on my art though. I would swear im getting worse. The encouragment and help from you guys is appricated. My accuracy is just aweful as is my impatiance so a couple of friends of mine told me they are going to coach me on doing a proper Bargue studies! Kinda scary but I need to fix my accuracy problems!

Some copies from sheldon

BAAAAAAAAAD lifed drawings

I bought a load of toys to do life drawing at home but keep it fun. Here is my first. So so so many problems

Last edited by Whirly; June 27th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last life drawing class ... 10 classes ... wow that's disappointing.

Will start again in a few months. Just gotta keep drawing I guess :|

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More from Blair

Decided if I am not happy with a study I should redraw until I am. Its hard work but its helping me with my patience problem.

My Sketchbook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Preston Blair studies. One of my first books on drawing was the Walter Foster book. As you copy them study the follow thru, gesture where it starts and where it ends. What's the biggest gesture line, what's the second? AND how do they all inter-relate? Figuring this out will help figure out what makes the drawing cohesive and strong in design.

:]

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya Whirly!

It's great to still see you working it all out with gestures, life drawing, anatomy, etc!

I've done some Preston Blair studies too...love how he created such simple characters with so much personality and energy!

So true when you said: "Decided if I am not happy with a study I should redraw until I am"

I think so many of us just think we should get it effortlessly on the first go...but as I study the histories of my favorite artists...they worked and reworked until they got it right.

What looks effortless in a final image...is often the result of endless, unseen work!

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those dogs are great! As for life drawing i think you need to train yourself to really observe and i know its really hard but i think thats where the problem lies. As someone who mostly draws cartoonish characters i think your used to drawing from imagination/ using construction lines but when drawing from life you have to really observe instead of looking and then just drawing thinking you know what it looks like. But your definitely improving so dont give up on the life drawing. and for now dont worry about achieving a likeness, that is making the drawing actually look like the person, worry more about values/proportion/perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just updating for the sake of updating. Justvery quick work doodles done at work while waiting for renders from ref and imagination (the bad ones ha) and even some from memory (very encouraging!).

AztcFireFlower: Thanks for the tips its definitly helpful! I feel I can draw certain gesture lines in isolations but its getting them in relationship to each other and proportions in relation the hardest thing. Your SB continues to be very inspiring!

Jephyr X: Thanks for the encouragement! I am even working towards to only getting things right but being able to do it from memory. I am finding it incredibly useful (and very very hard!)

Stephane Perez: Thanks for the kind words and advice mate I really appreciate it. Starting a new life drawing weekly class. This time untutored so I can use my own materials and not get thrown into acrylics or anything. Gone on a spending spree of art materials!

Just bought 500 sheets of newsprint from the US (should last me a while!) 5 prismacolor col-erase pencils, 5 conte pencils, razor blades, sanding block .... Feel like a pro now! haha

Last edited by Whirly; July 16th, 2012 at 05:19 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you have any idea why your avatar isn't being displayed on the main thread???please inform me if u or any one knows.

Caribbean 3d Junkie..respect to God
    He in one blood he and Eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsorbenGhost View Post
    do you have any idea why your avatar isn't being displayed on the main thread???please inform me if u or any one knows.
    I'm not sure what you mean. What is "the main thread".

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is getting better man. I like the bird you got from Schureman and I think some more in that direction could help you where form is concerned. I had a huge form problem and after my couple months hiatus it all just clicked! Maybe a break for a week or soo would clear your head. Sometimes you need to look at even drawing from a blank perspective. In other words you have been drawing so long that you could be getting frustrated.

Rest is when the muscles grow and repair. It could help.

Also, Schureman book? Where did you get it?

Last edited by Eternal Apprentice; July 16th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates! You still need to work on your line quality, but you know that already. You're definitely petting your lines less than you used to, so... progress!

The crunchy lines are more obvious on the life drawing you posted. In this case, I think using such a thin pen wasn't doing you any favours; curious if that was the mandate of the course, or a choice? Charcoal, conte, or a brush probably would have stood you in better stead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Revidescent View Post
    Nice updates! You still need to work on your line quality, but you know that already. You're definitely petting your lines less than you used to, so... progress!

The crunchy lines are more obvious on the life drawing you posted. In this case, I think using such a thin pen wasn't doing you any favours; curious if that was the mandate of the course, or a choice? Charcoal, conte, or a brush probably would have stood you in better stead.
    Well we use a pen on the CGMW course I am about to go on but haven't started that. Those pen drawings though are because Im doodling at work and I just have a pen here haha.

Just bought Conte pencils, Charcoal Pencils and Col-Erase Pencils though for new life drawing class!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i can't see my avatar in the sketchbook main page

im referring to the main page of the sketch book where you see every ones sketch book post,every one have they avatar/picture icon being displayed.Mine just blank.How did u get ure avatar to show in the sketchbook main page with all the other artist

Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. What is "the main thread".

Caribbean 3d Junkie..respect to God
    He in one blood he and Eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsorbenGhost View Post
    im referring to the main page of the sketch book where you see every ones sketch book post,every one have they avatar/picture icon being displayed.Mine just blank.How did u get ure avatar to show in the sketchbook main page with all the other artist
    When I go to that page my is blank. I always assumed it was the first image in your first post uploaded via ca.org's image uploader (that I have never used). Sorry I cant be of more help. Maybe post a question about it in the lounge?

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BACK TO WORK BITCH!

Firstly anyone reading this buy some conte pencils and newsprint (SMOOTH!) feels amazing to draw with.

Secondly I bought the Loomis book reprints and they are gorgeous. I dont care if you have the PDFs buy em, they rock!

Thirdly I have started my CGMA classes (Perspective and Dynamic Sketching.) Really enjoying them so far although I have pushed Dynamic Sketching forward to next term so I have time to do the homework.

Rusty and crappy but learning

Loomis Heads 1st Plate

Second Sheet done with Conte

CGMA Perspective Homework/Notes

CGMA Dynamic Sketching Homework (will be doing this next term new as moved it forwards)

LIFE DRAWINGSSSSSS (few from imagination in there)

My Sketchbook

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 108