Sketchbook: Whirly's World of Wonderful Shiny Things

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Whirly's World of Wonderful Shiny Things

So I decided to make a new sketchbook after not updating my other in about a year (because I have not actually done any proper drawing in about year!!). I don't know what happened, I just lost motivation, felt down that I still couldn't really draw. Dunno if its normal for people to just quit for a year but anyway I am back and not going to quit this time dam it!

Here is some stuff I did over Christmas. Its mostly studies after concept art from Pixar and Dreamworks books etc.

MR BUBBLES!

Bargue Plate

Here I am DESPERATELY TRYING TO IMPROVE LINE QUALITY

Cubes are either from life or from a quick ref I did in 3DS max viewport. The reason I have done it this way is because it is still very difficult drawing a cube correctly from life so I find if I do a couple from Ref first and then do some from life it can be really helpful.

Last edited by Whirly; October 18th, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I am starting totally from scratch! The pixar studies and stuff above etc are just for fun for simply improving my ability to copy from the 2D plane (and maybe pick up a bit of design fundamentals along the way)

My current short term goals are to improve my copying ability and really improve my line quality. NO SCRATCHY LINES!!

Second goal is to properly work through Loomis Fun with a Pencil (and other more advanced stuff along the way).

I am not just going to mindlessly copy either. I will do a few studies of Loomis while READING WHAT HE WROTE, THEN APPLY KNOWLEDGE!! You can see what I mean in the work bellow.

These are digital because over Christmas just by chance I found an ExDemo Cintiq 21UX for a ridiculously low price!! I was not planning on buying one but because of the price there was no way I was going to let it slip away.

I am also spending an hour before using it doing warm ups to improve my lines.

Last edited by Whirly; January 1st, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am also doing a series of master study sculptures to improve my sculpting.

This is a study after Jordu Schell (Check him out if you haven't hear of him as his work is gorgeous!)

In addition to all this I am going to be taking the Scott Eaton Anatomy online course. Wish me luck.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, that sculpt seriously kicks ass! I also checked your portfolio and it got some really neat stuff.

The thing that I would say about your drawings is that they lack, flow, constuction, and some of the times character. This isn't all that bad cause you just need to start drawing a helluva lot more. If you really want to improve fast, do a minimum of 3 hours figure/life drawing. Do it right and you'll start improving like crazy. When I started doing this I noticed improvements in like a month. Start studying anatomy, the stuff in your portfolio had some pretty decent stuff but your drawings need that knowledge. Your characters need more shape. What I mean by that is to start drawing with shapes. Boxes, squares, cones etc etc. These basic shapes will help with construction because it forces you to look at your drawings in 3d. More complicated shapes such as bean shapes or combinations of shapes will help with appeal. A big problem that I noticed for your models especially that one of robinhood was that he lacked shapes. You gotta exaggerate to a certain extent to bring out character especially with the cartooney ones. Realistic characters are sometimes more subtle but done right you can exaggerate like crazy and it'll be awesome. Your drawings of those characters right now feels like they aren't put together properly, you can't just draw the lines you have to use shapes.

For life drawing I'd recommend a book called force dynamics. This will teach you so much about energy flow and the forces that are created with the human body. Get this! If for whatever reason you can't buy it you can just google force dynamics life drawing for animators pdf and download it. Life drawing is one of the most important things! Do it daily it will affect all your drawing and sculpting skills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmiwGm32dXU

http://www.artisticanatomyblog.com/w...i-force-01.jpg

http://posetopose.files.wordpress.co...r_animator.gif

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bcsPgqtgMA...oobynooby2.jpg

Above are links about life drawing and lines of action. The first is a video that will help so watch it. The next two are examples from force dynamics. Look at all the shapes and energy at play! Combined with anatomy everything comes together to make a great energetic and dynamic drawing! The last link is a much simpler example of line of action by preston blair.

And here is a simple but very true example of character shapes. You don't have to restrict to just these shapes but they are great examples:
    http://blog.mixamo.com/wp-content/up...char_style.jpg

Loomis and bridgeman are great sources for anatomy so look those guys up when you can. There are more but I can't remember from the top of my head.

The rest is all up to you. The harder you work the more you'll be awesome. Burn your ass with hard work until there's nothing left, then burn it some more! Join the league of assless wonders! Only then will you be awesome!

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Bob, thanks so much for taking the time for such a detailed post

I have that book you mentioned actually your gestures very much resemble Mattesi's, how long did it take you to master those gestures as I have really struggled with it.

I definitely agree with all your critique but I feel I am not quite ready to take gesture drawing and lots of life drawing, full on quite yet as I am struggling to copy well. If I cant copy a box from life with ease I certainly wont be able to that with a figure. The road leads there though! Its a slow road.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome you are back! Thought you were gone forever. Great to see you posting again. What did you use to make that sculpture? Nothing really more to add then what Bob already said. Hope to see you post more in the future!

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Awesome you are back! Thought you were gone forever. Great to see you posting again. What did you use to make that sculpture? Nothing really more to add then what Bob already said. Hope to see you post more in the future!
    I'm so glad I wasn't gone forever! I used zbrush to make the sculpt n max n vray to render which I use professionaly. Still it's embaressing telling people I'm a professional artist n not being able to draw!!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about feeling as though your not ready. The reason I recommended life drawing as something to do intensively is because it trains everything. Lighting, perspective, form, anatomy, shapes, construction, speed you name it. When I first started I was absolute shit, I'm nowhere near "mastering it" but if you keep working at it, you will see improvements.

It's a long road but you have to start sometime. What better way than to start at something that will only help?

Seriously. Life drawing. Helps you improve. Fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't have to go to live classes. However I would recommend it if you can. There's nothing like drawing a live model. So if you can do it. If not, if your to busy, or it's to expensive or whatever go to these sites.

http://lovecastle.org/draw/

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

These sights provide free lifedrawing for animals and people. If your working full time and want time more for other studies, one day without lifedrawing is usually okay. What happens is the very first day you lifedraw will most likely suck. The second time however is better because you warmed up the previous day. It may be better not because the drawings are better, though that was what happened to me. It will be because you have more focus. Being focused is sometimes better than just drawing good because even though your drawing may not be how you want them, you'll keep going regardless. And that is vital. You gotta power through and not get discouraged even though it's hard. The second day will be better than the first the third will be better than the second etc etc. You will have plenty of bad days, were you feel as though you can't get it right. But you will have days were your just getting everything right. Eventually you'll hit a day were your drawing skills suddenly go up. And those are the days you strive for. The improvement. Your eye will always improve faster than your arm but when you do improve, there's no feeling like it. It's just awesome. Any more days than one without lifedrawing is likely to cause you to lose progress. It won't mean you got worse, it just might mean you might not enjoy life drawing as much, and have less focus. Which is bad.

When you start out it's best to go with quick gestures so stick to plenty of 30 secs then slowley move up to 5min, 30 min etc etc. But you don't have to stick to this. Find a routine your comfortable with. but still do plenty of 30 secs. In the beginning getting the flow and life is most important.

Quick tip: draw with the side of the pencil. This forces you to use your arm. The arm will always be superior to the fingers or wrist. it's a helluva lot less restricted. At first it will feel clumsy but after a week or so you'll see why most pros and masters usr their arm. The only time you use fingers or wrists is if you do smaller details or more refined ones. But once again, do it the way you feel most comfortable.

Good luck with studying! I know it's hard with a fulltime job and all but it is possible! All roads begin somewhere, don't get discouraged, there's no better time to start than now!

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmeatbag View Post
    You don't have to go to live classes. However I would recommend it if you can. There's nothing like drawing a live model. So if you can do it. If not, if your to busy, or it's to expensive or whatever go to these sites.
    oh! your including the figure from reference in "life drawing". I was confused because a lot of people use the terms seperatly. I thought you meant three hours with a live model every day (or in cafes etc)

I am making some time today to do some work form those sites with gesture and construction. I already had them bookmarked but I was avoiding them because whole people are you know .. scary!

Back at work tomorrow so need to make most of today!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Live models are the best. Doing things from photos can feel artifical. There's something more about doing it live. If you can't make it for a live session, the online stuff is a subsitute. But if you can, do it live. best thing about it is you might bump into actual working pros. That's how I meet a really good concept artist.

http://members.shaw.ca/dmandryk/index.htm

He gave me some really awesome tips. Don't be to nervous about going to live sessions. Everyones there to learn and get better. And if you do see a pro, don't hesitate to say hi. Just introduce yourself and compliment their art and ask for tips. One thing I've learned is that people won't hesitate if you ask.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My work so far today. If I get chance will do some more tonight

Oh what I wouldn't give for more time off work! (actually off for two weeks at the end of Jan for the start of the Scott Eaton Anatomy course so drawing lots then.

Will see how much I can do on a work day tomorrow.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more pixar studies for fun. Hopefully I am learning something from them by doing studies?

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whirly watching your progression is awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino_PuA View Post
    Whirly watching your progression is awesome
    Thanks kino progression is what I am clawing for but it will always happen too slow to notice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, the sculpture!

Do you use zbrush ever as well? Using that program really helped me to think about the 3D form of when I'm drawing 2D. So perhaps think of drawing a bit like sculpture, but in this case making it an illusion of 3D. I suppose it's similar to topography when doing base meshes.

It's cool that you're going through the Loomis Book. I'd say that just be aware that the approach in 'Fun With a Pencil' is not intended for drawing from reference to get an accurate copy. While it is helpful, the approach is intended to help you understand construction of your drawing from basic forms. Using the approach to draw from reference will help you understand those forms but I wouldn't consider it good if you're trying to exactly copy what you see.

There is a slightly more advanced method Loomis uses in 'Drawing the Head and Hands' which is better for a more realistic result, where as FWAP is more caricatured.

It's definately a good way to get you started though, and that's why I've begun with FWAP in the tutorial series.

Oh yeah get a mirror and do self portraits when you can at different angles. They're super helpful for learning. Also do some skull studies as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam Sykes View Post
    Dude, the sculpture!

Do you use zbrush ever as well? Using that program really helped me to think about the 3D form of when I'm drawing 2D. So perhaps think of drawing a bit like sculpture, but in this case making it an illusion of 3D. I suppose it's similar to topography when doing base meshes.
    Haha thanks Cam, actually I made this sculpture in Zbrush I rendered it with Max and Vray.

It's cool that you're going through the Loomis Book. I'd say that just be aware that the approach in 'Fun With a Pencil' is not intended for drawing from reference to get an accurate copy. While it is helpful, the approach is intended to help you understand construction of your drawing from basic forms. Using the approach to draw from reference will help you understand those forms but I wouldn't consider it good if you're trying to exactly copy what you see.
    Yeah I was thinking that while I was doing those reference drawings, I just wanted to make sure I was applying whatever I learned rather than just copying mindlessly. I'm not good enough to make likenesses yet so I just tried to make them a starting off point for a cartoon head and get also to get into the habit of applying what I am learning to reference so that when I get to more advanced stuff like the next Loomis book I am already in the habit of doing it.

Oh yeah get a mirror and do self portraits when you can at different angles. They're super helpful for learning. Also do some skull studies as well.
    Thanks for advice! will do, although Self Portrait seems a rather daunting task!

Last edited by Whirly; January 3rd, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man pretty nice! If, there's anything your learning from pixar it should be character and shapes. Notice how they exaggerate the features of the characters and the overall shape of the bodies. If your studying more on characters I really recommend rango. Their characters are freaking amazing! They got some seriously wicked ass compositions as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to mention spectacular lighting and surfacing! I wasn't fond of the story though. Will definitely give it another go though.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This mornings drawings before work.

and a really bad Matessi Study which I was contemplating not uploading.

Last edited by Whirly; January 7th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, yeah gesture drawing is a good start to the day. Just get the basic lines of motion then add the main masses like head rib cage and pelvis then add the arms and other contours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sculpture is badass, man

I really like the gestures, they are coming out very nicely. You are thinking about the flow and where the masses are. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work Work. More Loomis then apply, More Gesture Master Studies then apply.

Hope I am somehow making progress in all this mess!!!

Time for a plug. Cam Sykes has been kind enough to record loads of tutorial vidoes free and they are really helpful. If you havn't already check em out here! http://www.howtodigitalpaint.com Also he used one my sculpts for reference for one vid which is pretty awesome

While I am at it: http://www.ctrlpaint.com is Matt Kohr's video tutorial site updated bi-weekly and its bloodey amazing!!! Seriously .. go .. now!

Support Matt and Cam since they are really working hard to help the community!

Last edited by Whirly; January 7th, 2012 at 06:31 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matt Kohr, I came here to recommend that to you, His blog is amaaaazing! He helped and helps me a lot with his advices. Anyway, nice SB man, I LOVE your sculpture, maybe you can post more pictures of another sculptures, reaaally nice! Keep doing it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup Matt's blog rocks and he has always been quick to help me out with things. Cool guy

I would post more sculptures but I am not doing much at the moment except what I am doing for work as I am really really really trying to learn to draw. I do plan on doing some more sculpts of Jordu Schell Studies and Philippe Faraut studies (my two favorites).

Also once I start the course with Scott Eaton course I plan on doing sculpts to apply the knowledge.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been trying to get something drawn that isn't horrendous for today but have not really managed it.

Some really crappy gestures:

I think I just need sleep as I was knackered when I got home from work. Still a little discouraging! Hoping tomorrow will be more productive after I have slept in!

Last edited by Whirly; January 7th, 2012 at 06:31 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I am holding off of gestures and figure drawing drawing until I have finnished or have gone as far as I want with Loomis Fun with Pencil since the past two days I have been trying and failing to draw anything decent. I think I need a greater competency in drawing and also need to master some figure simplification before really getting down and dirty with gesture and construction. Also need to continue working from life simple things for a bit not full figures.

I dont want to start jumping ahead of myself .. there are no shortcuts and I will only get completely discouraged like I did this weekend.

Here is some fun stuff with Loomis .. Will try and apply it tomorrow, learned loads about placing the facial features with this study though!!

Also I have included a shot of how I warm up. Each block is actually full screen of the 21ux (about an A3 sheet or more?) Drawing with arm!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lookin good dude, just keep on pushin!

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Darium, exactly what I need to do and not let discouragement get to me.

More work with expressions from loomis this time with actualy application (the important bit!!)

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    im liking where this ones going

Attached Images Attached Images  
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook