Sketchbook: Mikey's Sketchbook (It's time to get out there)[Updated 1/17]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mikey's Sketchbook (It's time to get out there)[Updated 1/17]

Alright, I'll keep it short and simple. My name is Mike, I'm 34, art and creativity has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. This is a hobby for me for the most part but the occasional graphics side job helps here and there too.

I've been posting to my own blog (address in sig) for about 9 months now, that's when I started going to figure drawing sessions. I don't want to post everything that's already on my blog but I'll throw some stuff on here to get the ball rolling. I am open to all crit's and comments. I've been a long time follower of SamCar's sketchbook and hope to learn and grow as he has.

**Note: I had to edit this (my first) post in order to get the thumbnails right.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Blueflies; January 17th, 2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Update forum heading

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook entries (Oct, 2011 - Dec, 2011)

As promised, here are some sketchbook pages from the past few months. I will make a strong effort to post frequently from this point on so as not to overwhelm with mass posts. These first two were just to introduce myself to the forum. I'll be beginning an oil painting class starting up in the next week or two (if I can work out the schedule with work since they're at an odd time on Wednesday afternoons). I will post what I can from that class as well.

some observation, some from my mind...
    Name:  sketchbook 002.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  401.0 KB
    quick sketches from photo references
    Name:  sketchbook 003.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  428.9 KB
    Loomis, of course!
    Name:  sketchbook 001.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  267.3 KB
    more Loomis...
    Name:  sketchbook 004.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  370.4 KB
    quick sketches from photo references
    Name:  sketchbook 005.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  441.8 KB
    Figure class session, 25 minutes
    Name:  sketchbook 008.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  342.0 KB
    Finally starting on more complex anatomy studies, this one from last night...
    Name:  sketchbook 009.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  514.7 KB

Comments and crits welcome (and encouraged)! Thanks!

Last edited by Blueflies; January 2nd, 2012 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bridgeman hand studies tonight...

Studies tonight from Bridgeman, first time working from his book.
    Name:  Bridgeman Hands.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  194.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is awesome work. You studies are so accurate
    Also thank you for the comment on my journal . stop by again sometime

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jyou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thanks for stopping by my sb, Your already on a sick start, you seem to be nailing those studies quite accurately, great draftsmanship, you should definitely try ink, its too much fun

Also I look forward to those oils

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jyou: Thank you, I will check back in on you for sure.

Krispy: Thank you for the compliments, accuracy is very important to me, sometimes I get frustrated when a sketch doesn't turn out well and will scrap it instead of just continuing it and learning other aspects of the study. Unfortunately I've had to postpone the start of the oil painting, hopefully not for too long - just scheduling problems that I will fix. I will get my pen out and start scribbling!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, can anyone tell me how to adjust the first post in my sketchbook so that I can change the picture that shows up in the main forum heading? It shows the first crappy yellow figure sketch and I can't seem to change it.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good diligence, love that arm study, and the Bridgeman hands!

A tip for the figure drawing - try getting down the full body gesture in the first 30-seconds to a minute. Just throwing down a line of action, the tilt of the head/shoulders/hips, the general flow of the pose can help a lot. It looks like you're having trouble with 5 minute poses because you're trying to carefully construct the outline of the figure, but for quick ones it'll do you more good to get the whole figure down and then look for details.

Also, your painted figures have very saturated, plasticky looking skin. It's a "draw what you see, not what you think you see" sort of situation, and it's not always easy. If you're working from a digital photo, try eyedropping a colour every once in a while - not to use it, just to compare it to what you picked and see how far off you were... the colours may surprise you. (I'm still surprised every time I do a study of a nighttime scene and find that the skin is basically grey.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revidescent: Thank you, awesome tips on the skin tones.....I knew something was wrong with most of them, and you can see that almost every time I tried using a different palette of colors trying to fix it, but I think you correctly called me out on color choice and "seeing" them properly. You are also right on trying to get the quick sketches too accurate. I see other sketch books and am convicted in that when I see other people's gesture drawings. So much can be conveyed in a short period of time! I will work on quick gestures as well as colors. I have done some studies where I use the eyedropper for all the main colors of an image and then only use my own eye for minor variations if needed. It's a good way to learn brush work, value and composition but it's definitely a crutch for me in terms of learning and seeing color properly.

Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick gesture/value sketches from today...

Lunch break, quick work. Photo references, trying to get faster gestures on the page and then come through with the shading. Didn't want to get caught up in "accuracy" of foundation lines like I usually do.

Crappy scan for some reason but ran out of lunch break time here at work...

Crit away!
    Name:  Quick Sketches.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  372.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Master Study & Thanks!

Revidescent: Sorry, I responded earlier to your post and it never showed up - not sure what happened! Thanks for the compliments on the studies, very appreciated. I agree with your advice on faster gesture drawings and my last post was my first foray into a little more fast and rough pencil figures.....I'll continue to work on that for sure. You'll notice that for pretty much every figure painting I posted I use a different color palette. I've been experimenting with a lot of different techniques and preset "skin tone" palettes. There really is no shortcut or magic set of colors for every figure and I appreciate your tip on using the eyedropper. I am almost always amazed how different the color is compared to what I THINK I see on the screen.

Here is a master study that I've been working on (*well, I've worked on it once so far, hoping to finish it). I have used the eye dropper for all the major colors and have tried my best to choose the in-between tones based off those myself. It's getting there, I'm pretty happy with the look of some of the brush strokes like the ones on his right hand. Long way to go!

Original by Joaquin Sorolla:
    Name:  joaquin sorolla 1045x800.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  477.5 KB
    And my first go around:
    Name:  joaquin sorolla master study.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  245.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re-post of my first post (fixed thread thumbnail)...

Sorry for the re-post but I had to fix my very first post in order to get my thread thumbnail to show up properly - I'm sure we've all been there? So this is pretty much the exact same stuff as before, just moved it down here instead. Hope that's ok.

First figure drawing session, back in March 2011 - 5 minute poses (using Photoshop). I remember how fast 5 minutes seemed to go by! Others in the class would have full-body sketches.

Name:  5 min Sketch 1.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  22.7 KB Name:  5 min Sketch 2.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  24.5 KB
    Then the 25 minute poses....
    Name:  25 min Pose 3.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  18.1 KB Name:  25 min Pose 4.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  22.1 KB

Over the past 9 months I've gone to 11 figure classes and have done my own work at home when I have the time. I've been ramping up my time commitment to art but here is some of what has been produced over the past 9 months (I switched over to using Painter after a couple classes):

Name:  Class 2 25 minutes.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  141.4 KB Name:  Class 3 25 minutes.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  79.5 KB Name:  Class 6 25 minutes 2.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  87.8 KB Name:  Class 7 25 minutes 2.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  58.1 KB Name:  Class 8 25 minutes 2.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  66.3 KB Name:  Class 8 25 minutes.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  70.5 KB Name:  Class 10 5 minutes.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  66.3 KB Name:  Class 10 25 minutes.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  39.6 KB

And just a few of my most recent projects (some observation, some imagination):

Name:  Daniel Craig.jpg
Size:  93.7 KB Name:  Female Hips2.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  52.9 KB Name:  Eye2.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  46.8 KB Name:  Eye Brush Strokes.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  87.0 KB Name:  Female Seated.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  59.9 KB Name:  Female Drapery 1.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  51.3 KB Name:  Life Trip.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  50.6 KB

Hope that wasn't too much for a first (re-posted) upload, but I wanted to get everyone up to speed. I'll continue to post more. I have quite a few pencil and paper sketches from my physical sketchbook that I will add as well. Again, all critiques and comments welcome - we're all here to learn!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Today's sketches

Working more on quicker gestures and simpler representations....trying not to get hung up on the details. Focus on linework and using shading to represent the 3D form.....so hard to do!!

Name:  01052012-Sketchbook.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  106.5 KB

And also a quick figure done in pen from yesterday from imagination....
    Name:  01052012-Pen-Sketch.jpg
Size:  29.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice studies so far. It's great to see that you're utilizing so many different resources available to you to develop your understanding of the human form. For a crit, I would suggest trying to think more about the figure as simple 3-dimensional objects. Right now you seem to be focusing mostly on the outline of the body and the value, which is good, but it really helps to try to think of the contour, or the surface of the body and how it exists in space. Using wrapping lines (lines that follow the surface of the object, like ellipses spiraling around the outside of a cylinder) can help you visualize that. Also, try to plan out the structure of the form first and double-check your accuracy before moving forward with the drawing. I would recommend that for your paintings as well - start with the structure, plan out your proportions and make sure it's solid before moving into value, color, and texture. With the master study in post #10, it feels like you're getting ahead of yourself a bit. You're fiddling with the texture on the jacket while the chin is off-center. Try to identify and solve your structural problems early so you don't have to waste time repainting things in the later stages. Keep up the good work!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat: Thank you for the compliments and crit's! I appreciate your critique and fully agree with what you've said. That's one of the best things about getting my work up here is that I get an outside perspective. You've definitely nailed some stuff I need to work on in terms of process and the order of things - I will incorporate that as part of my studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be starting the 10-week figure drawing class at Gnomon School this week so I am excited to learn some new tools to further my figure drawing skills - I will keep you all up to date with work from the class!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Figure Construction Sketch

Had a small amount of time tonight to get one sketch done. I wanted to put some of dierat's advice to use and work on the construction of my figures. I plan on doing more of these type of studies and would use what I learn from them to build better finished figures in the future.

Name:  Figure-Construction-001b.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  41.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff, please continue your hard work. Also instead of doing coloured figure studies try to do greyscale. This helps you understand form and build up your knowledge of values. So it helps with your colours in the end.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to My57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My57: Thank you for stopping by! I have heard about the concept of sticking to B/W before. I have always been so anxious to see a more "finished" product that I rush through it. I am definitely seeing the value in laying the proper groundwork now and will try and do some B/W studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the hard work and you'll improve .. slowly yet steadily.
    Other than that, what dierat says, and My57.
    I should add to that, that in for example your master study you tend to use very tiny brushes.. try and approach it more as if you would approach a painting instead of a drawing. Work with large brushes (as large as you possibly can) to lay in the basic shapes. Then, only later, move on to smaller brushes to refine the shapes.

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmageddon: I really have no basis for scale of the brushes compared to what might be used in "real" painting but I am trying to get some oil painting lessons started here, might have to wait until my figure drawing class is over to make the time though. I think there are quite a few shortcuts that I've been taking and now that I've had a chance to browse through more sketchbooks from this site it helps me get a glimpse at some of the steps taken BEFORE the images are final.....and that is pretty handy! Thank you for your comment, you guys are really helping me get off to the right start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that watching video tutorials helps the most. I mean, you might already do this, but it gives a good idea of the right sort of "scale", I guess. Great stuff in here, that newest figure construction looks nice and clean.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

30. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2 minute gesture board

Ok, sat down for a while tonight and just went through 2 minute drills using the one over at pixellovely.com and this is what came of it. I still need to work on quickly getting the base structure down, some of the poses were harder than others to fully recognize where the flow lines should be but I just pushed through the harder ones. Still have a long way to go.....

Name:  2-minute-board-001.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  395.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great determination man.
    Keep focused on those studies.
    For me, helps to watch people and do quick sketches as about form and movement.
    Cheers

33. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Pencil Portrait

Had to get a large format pad for my class that's starting up on Thursday and I haven't drawn large like that in years so I thought I'd warm up. It's an 18x24 pad and this is what came of it.

Name:  Portrait-Pencil-01-09-2012.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  122.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, our situations seem pretty similar, just keep working and you will reap the rewards.... a lot of hobbies turn into paying gigs to! Have some stars to help jumpstart ya'! *****

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Eyes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The constructive approach you used in post #16 is excellent. Btw there's a book that I really enjoy that's all about building up the figure in this way that I'd like to recommend - it's called Figure Drawing Design and Invention by Michael Hampton. The way he does it is he starts with a loose gesture drawing, which he develops using simple 3-dimensional shapes for structure, and then he adds value and detail on top.

About the brush size discussion, the advice I've heard is "use a brush 1 size bigger than you think you need". This isn't relevant for linework of course, but when you're blocking in your general values, try using a mega-big brush and only scale down when you feel like you really have to. The same goes for opacity/flow - start off with them set really high, then slowly lower them when you feel like you need it. This will help you block in the general shapes faster without getting bogged down into details and rendering too early. Figure out the big problems first, then move in to fix the smaller, less important problems.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dark Eyes: Thank you for the stars and for coming by to comment. I really enjoy checking out your SB, you've got some great stuff on there!

Dierat: I really appreciate that you came to check on me again. Your comments have been some of the most helpful I've received lately and I definitely am trying to learn more about the contours and shapes of what I'm drawing. That book recommendation looks awesome, the order is in already!! When I'm painting digitally recently I'm getting a little less afraid of "messing up" and trying to commit with more opacity and larger brushes. I think I was way off base before in my methods, trying to get everything right as I lay it down the first time. The approach of constructing the entire piece and getting those proportions ironed out is very important to remember. Thanks again!

After the last pencil portrait I couldn't help myself and started a figure drawing, I'm loving the large format pad and getting to use my entire arm instead of relying on my wrist and fingers. Much better movement and control. The last time I drew that large was probably high school.....and yes, that was 1995....man, I feel old! I'm still working on it so I'll post it when I'm done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lunch time sketches 01-12-2012

Sorry for not posting for a couple days, I've been working on a couple large-format sketches but they aren't ready yet. Had a limited amount of time today with my sketchbook....pretty happy with #3....

Name:  Sketches-01-12-2012.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  201.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your figures the gestures especially. Can't really offer much crit cause I'm still figuring things out too, but your stuff has a lovely feel to it. Keep it up!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to DSiwek For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1