Cintiq 24 hd + keyboard, tips?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Cintiq 24 hd + keyboard, tips?

Hi

I am an illustrator - am currently using a Cintiq 21. You can see my current setup (which is now a little modified but generally the same) at my blog.

I am getting a Cintiq 24 because I want a lower screen when I draw. I tried it out and I do love that function. But I am concerned about where my keyboard will go. I need to use it as I'm very used to working with shortcut keys in Photoshop and Illustrator, and I don't think there are enough buttons on the Cintiq itself for me. The virtual keyboard is nice but it's not as fast as me hitting the keys on a real board. I use a mini keyboard to save space - it barely works with the 21 and I'm worried about what to do with the 24.

So - anyone out there using a 24 with a keyboard? Any tips or advice would be massively appreciated.

I am considering getting a keyboard tray, but not sure if that will hit my armrests on chair.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi sygnin,
    The guys at Creaturebox use the HP Touchpad wireless keyboard. Here's an image of it in action. Maybe you could try that, although I'm not sure how well it stays up there.

Thanks
    Thanks. I wouldn't hang it over my screen, but it's something to look in to!

Thanks
    http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys.php

maybe the 24 keys one?
    Bit expensive but maybe enough keys for photoshop and can fit on the wide border of the cintiq24.

Thanks
    With both the 21 and 24 inch Model, frequently I see people usually place the keyboard underneath the Cintiq. I know an artist that has the 21 incher for live caricatures and she makes do just fine with the keyboard right under it.

And I recently got to play around with the 24 inch model at Tekserve in NYC, and they had the keyboard rigged underneath the Cintiq. Since you kind of had to stand up with their demo model, I really didn't feel comfortable using the keyboard, but If I had a chair, it might have been more comfortable to use it.

Also..not sure if the Cintiq 21 has this, but the 24 incher has a little button at the top that can prompt an onscreen keyboard. Kind of like the Windows Tablet PC input Panel (if you use a windows computer). Not sure how feasiable it would be, but you could probablly leave the on-screen keyboard eternally on-screen and use it as you need it.

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions and tips! I set up my 24 yesterday (god it's heavy and huge).

Right now I have the keyboard on my lap. It feels a bit odd but it's better than my usual position on the left of the screen. Hopefully this will be a decent solution.

Thanks
    I have the same problem, my hd24 is too wide for my desk (only 115cm width), now keyboard lying next to cintiq, but vertically, not perfect but don't have better ideas..

Thanks
    My desk is getting pretty cramped with a 24HD on it aswell, my Steelseries mechanical keyboard is also really thick, so it can't really sit underneath. The on-screen keyboard is handy but I also have an ultra thin mac keyboard which sits under it really nicely.

Thanks

Thanks
    Wait for the next version to come out which should have touch features. Then you can leave the keyboard onscreen, and make all sorts of shortcuts you can tap with your fingers.... Even have little "pods" of shortcuts everywhere. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Ahhhhh the dream....

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    I dont have a 24 but I ordered a 21 inch DTK and I plan on trying to use this with it. ive read others have used it with some success.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Nostromo...eywords=keypad

Thanks
    I have an HD24 and I bought a Logitech G13 gamepad - it works fantastic. It has about 28 buttons that are fully programmable for your most frequently used shortcuts - plus has the ability to remember 4 unique sets of keys - say one setup for Photoshop, one for Painter, etc. You can switch between key sets with a single button push. It is very small so I have it on a small file cabinet the height of my desk just to my left (left hand on keyboard, right hand drawing). Imagine an L shaped desk. see attached pic.

Best of all you can program a single key on the gamepad to do multiple keys on a normal keyboard, so for example if you use Photoshop instead of using Control + or - to zoom in and out I simply push a single key on the gamepad to zoom in and a single key to zoom out. Highly recommended.

I keep a normal keyboard further back on my desk for occasional typing with two hands - at necessary times I'll just lean over and type - it's pain but I don't do it often when painting in Photoshop or Painter. For naming layers, etc I use the on-screen keyboard from the Cintiq drivers.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I upgraded to the 24HD from the 21UX and even with my huge desk I had constant problems working comfortably with my keyboard. I used to have it on the side and after one too many twists to keystroke i finally pulled a neck muscle.

So I built my own keyboard tray. My mother came up with the idea...it's funny because she doesn't even know how to draw or use the 24HD.

I played around with metal but settled on acrylic for the base of the tray and heat formed it to the 24HD.

I figure since i am going to start training in feature animation in the fall, I better be very comfortable in front of this giant tablet.

You can find out more at my blog if you are interested - http://gizmotweak.com/blog/MyBlog.html

Last edited by BardiaK; July 11th, 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: corrections

Thanks
    very cool invention, nice work!

Thanks
    Thanks! It was quite a project.

Last edited by BardiaK; June 26th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
    [url]http://gizmotweak.com/url]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toad1971 View Post
    I have an HD24 and I bought a Logitech G13 gamepad - it works fantastic. It has about 28 buttons that are fully programmable for your most frequently used shortcuts - plus has the ability to remember 4 unique sets of keys - say one setup for Photoshop, one for Painter, etc. You can switch between key sets with a single button push. It is very small so I have it on a small file cabinet the height of my desk just to my left (left hand on keyboard, right hand drawing). Imagine an L shaped desk. see attached pic.

Best of all you can program a single key on the gamepad to do multiple keys on a normal keyboard, so for example if you use Photoshop instead of using Control + or - to zoom in and out I simply push a single key on the gamepad to zoom in and a single key to zoom out. Highly recommended.

I keep a normal keyboard further back on my desk for occasional typing with two hands - at necessary times I'll just lean over and type - it's pain but I don't do it often when painting in Photoshop or Painter. For naming layers, etc I use the on-screen keyboard from the Cintiq drivers.
    I'm doing a similar thing. I'm using a Nostromos n52te game pad, and I velcroed it onto my 24HD so that it's a bit closer to me.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syle View Post
    I'm doing a similar thing. I'm using a Nostromos n52te game pad, and I velcroed it onto my 24HD so that it's a bit closer to me.
    hey that's pretty cool, I don't think I would have done that with mine but it looks like it works well. The Logitech looks to be a little bigger. Any chance you could measure the bottom footprint length and tell me how much space it takes up on the Wacom (it looks like its sticking off a bit)? I would be curious to compare it to the footprint of the Logitech - maybe I would pick up the Belkin and try it. How do you like it - is it comfortable? I have a few extra keys on the Logitech but perhaps could get by with a few less.

Thanks.

Thanks
    hey toad,

the Nostromos measures 6-1/2" x 7-1/2" at it's widest/longest parts. I left mine hanging off of my cintiq a little bit so that I didn't obstruct the view of the monitor; I have my gamepad nestled right up next to the viewing area of the screen.

But, even with it hanging off the edge of the Cintiq, it's still rock solid due to the amount/quality of the velcro I used. It's also EXTREMELY ergonomic. I also still use the Cintiqs buttons/dials as well; especially the rotate feature.

With all this being said, only try this if you feel comfortable sticking some industrial velcro onto your $3000 Cintiq, haha...from my perspective, I am a hobbyist, so I will have this unit for the rest of my life, so it didn't bother me to do that.

Also, I am sure your Logitech is fine; go with what you're already used to. I'd guess that there isn't much difference between our two pads, and you could save yourself some $.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 6