Art: Metal band logo, need pointers
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Metal band logo, need pointers

Been doing a few bits and pieces for bands my friends are in, since I go to local shows I know a lot of them, anyway I did a simple Tshirt design for them a few months ago and and they loved it, sold quite a lot online, today they asked me to design an all around logo for the band, which I said I'd try, but it's harder than I thought, The tshirt design was a play on a more famous logo http://enigmaticheart.bigcartel.com/product/heineken-t Kinda like this, a lot of bands are doing them recently.

Anyway, yeah, I'm struggling a bit more with the concepts for this since I have nothing to go by, they want something simple, with the letters TCL kinda similair to the WSS logo (http://img.hottopic.com/is/image/HotTopic/980768_hi)
    I'm not here asking anyobdy to do the work for me haha, just for any pointers, anyone worked on anything similair to this, or just simple designs with few letters etc, any tips would be great since I'm struggling on finding a decent layout for it haha, the letters aren't symmetrical so it's kinda a pain

My Sketch Book: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3085866

Please comment+critique
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wait, so the want their logo to represent the Heinken logo?
    I've designed a few logos for my previous bands and mates bands, things i like to take into account are what genre they are, what they prefer to sing about and even the name of the band itself. if i knew those things i could give you a hand with ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of metal band?

Black metal?

Death metal?

Heavy metal?

Doom metal?

Stoner doom metal?

Folk/viking metal?

Grindcore?

etc...

There are a lot of different kinds of metal with individual aesthetics. You're not giving us much to go on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Messing Around

Heres a quick, one colour design i came up with for one of my previous bands "The Cold Front"
    We played the Death/core style/genre of metal hence the spikey nature of the drawing.
    i couldnt get a hold of the finished product as it is on my hard drive at home so i drew up a quick sketch of what i can remember of it.
    simple designs like this are fairly effective for band logo's because it makes it easy for you to apply it to Stickers, shirts, cd's ect.

Also, personally i like to keep my designs as symmetrical as possible.
    as you can see in the images Jacob posted so do most other designers, it makes reading the bands name inderesting.

Anyway, here you go!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "War doesn't determine who is , but who is ."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SturdyDesign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is of course a matter of taste, but imho readability is a big point if you are designing a logo with the band's name.

To me it's real hard to distinguish the name from those sketches. They look Gothic though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eelis Kyttänen View Post
    This is of course a matter of taste, but imho readability is a big point if you are designing a logo with the band's name.

To me it's real hard to distinguish the name from those sketches. They look Gothic though!
    That's the point. It's the most popular aesthetic in metal logo designs. The more obscure the band, the more desirable it is for their logo to be unreadable. It's an elitist sort of thing on one hand (only those who are in the know should know what it means) and on the other hand it's representing their music through a visual abstracted symbol rather than with words. It's also generally thought of that the more unreadable/obscure the logo design, the heavier/darker the band.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    That's the point. It's the most popular aesthetic in metal logo designs. The more obscure the band, the more desirable it is for their logo to be unreadable. It's an elitist sort of thing on one hand (only those who are in the know should know what it means) and on the other hand it's representing their music through a visual abstracted symbol rather than with words. It's also generally thought of that the more unreadable/obscure the logo design, the heavier/darker the band.
    Oh? I had no idea, thanks for filling me up. Sounds weird, but all the styles got their knacks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with Jacob, it almost seems as if the heavier the genre, the more spikes, gore and webbing appears. Most grindcore bands logo's are almost un-readable. its hard for an illustrator to create a logo to fit a band without knowing things like Genre, Lyrical Content, Band Name or even hearing them play.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The more obscure, the heavier darker point rings very true, but it's also a bit useless from a marketing point of view.

Last Saturday my friends' band were playing a gig, and there were posters on the wall for an upcoming band. We wanted to get more info because the logo looked fantastic but we couldn't actually go and find their music was because none of us could actually figure out what the band was called. Maybe that's just part of the Elitism; only a very special few who could read it had the privilege of knowing their band. That could have cost them a few extra record sales in the long run, but if they're doing it just for the love of performing then it makes no difference really.

It's a balance, I think. Of Aesthetic and practicality. It'd be great to know what your band is actually called so that people can go online and follow it

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing is that most metal bands aren't interested in selling to big crowds, and they'd rather gain a cult following. Obscurity is in favor. Again it's a sort of elitist thing. But that's the gig!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a quick, one colour design i came up with for one of my previous bands "The Cold Front"
    We played the Death/core style/genre of metal hence the spikey nature of the drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like the Idea of having a chunky but basic sans-serif font, nothing elaborate. I was in a band with a couple of friends and we were called Locust Star, The basic font worked really well IMO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But how about you actually post something you've done so we can critique it? You have to start somewhere, and I greatly recommend you start with a pencil and paper for this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why did hoolang repeat what i said? also Jacob, i think with the modern Heavy Metal scene people are starting to consider fairly readable fonts, the bands you posted earlier are pretty dated.

Hardcore:

metal-core:

Death-core:

Death Metal:
    By the way, the designer that did all these bands in the below picture is definitely worth checking out!

Djent:
    I wouldn't say this has made it as a genre 100% at the moment but soon it will be recognised as another metal genre.

nintendo-core:

thrash metal:

Black metal:

If you'd like to see who a huge group of modern metal bands are getting their stuff designed by, check out Dan Mumford here:
    http://www.dan-mumford.com/

This is some of his stuff:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christophe Szpajdel's designs, (the ones under death metal) are also fairly dated but i thought i'd add them in because he is good good at what he does, however, a handful of those bands on that sheet are black metal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ignore

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SturdyDesign View Post
    however, a handful of those bands on that sheet are black metal.
    I dont recognise any of the bands on that sheet other than emperor but at a glance i would consider them all to be a black metal style of logo, and symphonic black metal at that.

Classic Death metal logos tend to be much more messy and basic while those logos are very clean and intricatly detailed.

So much more like the Defeated sanity logo Jacob posted.

Not that any of this matters much as I dont think the OP has even said what genre the logo needs to be has he?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stgodd View Post
    Classic Death metal logos tend to be much more messy and basic while those logos are very clean and intricatly detailed.
    Good point. Sorry guys that was my bad.
    Although, i thought you would've at least noticed moonspell lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries.

I just looked moonspell up on youtube and I'm not surprised I dont know them to be honest. In general I cant stand anything that has even small symphonic elements so I dont know many bands in that area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I did for my band last year:

I decided to redesign our logo because our sound got much heavier and even more melodic. I felt our original logo (below) didn't show who we were anymore.

All I did to design the new one is look at bands I know we are similar to as well as other bands' logos that I really like. I took my favorite aspects of each and tried to combine them all into one.

To me, it was really important that the logo be easy to read and have lots of rough edges.

I really like the end result. It made for really easy application to our website and merch (shirts, etc.).

Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i like the Delusions Of work, the bw logo is good and its a cool name
    in the photo the 4th guy from left looks like thumb guy too

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks I'm proud of how it turned out.

We will hopefully be recording this summer/fall, so I will be able to make new album art with the logo finally!

Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of metal band?

Black metal?

Death metal?

Heavy metal?

Doom metal?

Stoner doom metal?

Folk/viking metal?

Grindcore?

etc...

There are a lot of different kinds of metal with individual aesthetics. You're not giving us much to go on.
    Hahaha thank you for this thorough break down. Love the stoner metal one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metal has so many subgenres now that it's almost an art form itself.
    Didn't know about NintendoCore, now I know what I'll be listening this month. Thanks!

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Members who have read this thread: 2