The traditional side of things.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The traditional side of things.

Hey guys, I'm sure there's a specific part of the forums for this question, but after around ten minutes of browsing to no avail, I decided to post it here with the word 'miscellaneous' in mind.
    I have been instructed by somewhat exasperated teachers to pick up a paintbrush and do something "proper" (I've argued that science fiction and computers are the future and much less messy, but when it comes down to it, they give me marks if I work with real paint, so I can't really argue).
    I've not really worked with paints for a year or two (and considering the fact that I'm 17, that's a long time) and before that it I was using finger paints, I still wore spiderman pants, and I thought girls had the lurgys.
    Getting to the point now, what I need from you guys is recommendations on what paint I should use, acrylic or oil (although I know oil takes a long time to dry). What colours I need (considering I don't own anything but black spray paint, I need to know whether I need to buy anything but red, blue and yellow).
    I'm working on cardboard sort of stuff, its like card but a few millimetres thick. So fine grain and dense rather than corrugated.

So yeah, to sum up, I need to know:
    1. What type of paint I need (maybe a brand recommendation)
    2. What colours I need

If there's anything else I need or have forgotten that I don't know about, please tell me (act like I'm an idiot, all I own is a paintbrush, and I can fold up a few pieces of paper or something to use as a pallet).
    Ta in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,534 Times in 3,725 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You need the Fine Arts section.

Oils - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98647

Acrylics - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101119

I'm moving this to Art Discussion as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I'm moving this to Art Discussion as well.
    sigh...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,534 Times in 3,725 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    sigh...
    Pray why l'sigh? The lounge is not the place.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RyNSWOrLD View Post
    2. What colours I need
    Here's what you need to know:
    1. The artists that you like and types of work they do.
    2. How they do it.

This is really your own investigation and not something we can advise you on. Figuring out who inspires you, at this particular stage, leads to the answers. I doubt you would find David Leffel, Richard Schmid or even Sargent terribly interesting.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did your teachers even tell you where to begin? If you think you can fold up a piece of paper for a palette you're doing it wrong. If you haven't already, ask them for advice. And as fustrating as learning traditional painting was for me, it's worth learning, I'll probably get back into it myself soon.

My sketchbook:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191977

My page on Facebook, which I update much more often.

https://www.facebook.com/MarkGrimArt

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stabby2486 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stabby2486 View Post
    Did your teachers even tell you where to begin? If you think you can fold up a piece of paper for a palette you're doing it wrong. If you haven't already, ask them for advice. And as fustrating as learning traditional painting was for me, it's worth learning, I'll probably get back into it myself soon.
    What should I use instead? I know I'm new to traditional stuff, but I don't see the difference between a piece of paper and a posh £100 varnished wood pallet.
    Here's what you need to know:
    1. The artists that you like and types of work they do.
    2. How they do it.

This is really your own investigation and not something we can advise you on. Figuring out who inspires you, at this particular stage, leads to the answers. I doubt you would find David Leffel, Richard Schmid or even Sargent terribly interesting.
    I have artists I like, but it's not really inspiration or how I should go about this that I need, its more technical stuff, like:
    What should I work on?
    What should I work with?
    That sort of thing...
    Just out of interest, why did you think I wouldn't like those artists? I quite liked David Leffel's stuff (although it was just a cursory glance at a google image search). I said I liked science fiction, but that doesn't mean I don't like other stuff too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mean your teachers want you to use paint but they don't want to teach you how to use them? Why are they called TEACHers exactly?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What should I use instead? I know I'm new to traditional stuff, but I don't see the difference between a piece of paper and a posh £100 varnished wood pallet.
    Well, you certainly don't need anything that costs £100, but what do you think the differences are between a folded up piece of paper and a piece of varnished wood, and why do you think that would matter?
    Read the threads Black Spot linked to, and the threads that are linked in them. Most of your questions are answered there, and, for those that aren't, you'll at least know the search terms to use to find them.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I have artists I like, but it's not really inspiration or how I should go about this that I need, its more technical stuff, like:
    What should I work on?
    What should I work with?
    That sort of thing...
    Just out of interest, why did you think I wouldn't like those artists? I quite liked David Leffel's stuff (although it was just a cursory glance at a google image search). I said I liked science fiction, but that doesn't mean I don't like other stuff too.
    The reason I recommend figuring out what artists and type of work inspires you is because that tells you what to work on, what to work with and then you can follow their lead. Chances are the artists you like either have books, magazine articles, websites, blogs, interviews, etc. where they talk about their methods. If you find out the people you like are mostly oil painters it doesn't do much good to use gouache.

Just my assumption, most young people aren't terribly interested in really traditional stuff is all. Glad you liked Leffel though.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Plexiglass makes a good palette. Clear, so you can perhaps stick a color wheel underneath it, it's shatterproof, and one that's 12 x 24" can go for just 10$. When you're done with it stick it in your fridge or freezer if you got the space. Otherwise, spray it down then wrap it up with saran wrap, that clear plastic sheet thing you use to preserve food. And start off simple with your colors, buy them as you need them.

My sketchbook:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191977

My page on Facebook, which I update much more often.

https://www.facebook.com/MarkGrimArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    You mean your teachers want you to use paint but they don't want to teach you how to use them? Why are they called TEACHers exactly?
    Welcome to art school in Britain.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorc View Post
    Welcome to art school in Britain.
    Yeah...but it's art school here in the colonies too.

You have to be lucky to find a good teacher here as well, or do your homework and really research schools and programs. But TBH, that appplies to pretty much anything anyway.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Glass palette. It will make your life so much easier.

And I've heard you should avoid plexi--it's too soft. You want to be able to use a paint-scraper/razor-blade to clean it off.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For oil paints, I use a trad wooden pallette. For acrylic paints I use an old plate. Media? Start off with the cheapest kit you can get. No sense in spending a fortune on paints you might hate. Find what you like to work with, then upgrade.

Watercolour is devilishly unforgiving and difficult, but the best I've ever seen is watercolour on goache. Acrylic is quick to dry, but quick to fix mistakes on.. Oil is an absolute joy to work with, but slow to dry. There's also ink, crayon... you get my drift?

And shame on you for being afraid of making a mess! What are you, a sterile surgeon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I'm sure there's a specific part of the forums for this question, but after around ten minutes of browsing to no avail, I decided to post it here with the word 'miscellaneous' in mind.
    I have been instructed by somewhat exasperated teachers to pick up a paintbrush and do something "proper" (I've argued that science fiction and computers are the future and much less messy, but when it comes down to it, they give me marks if I work with real paint, so I can't really argue).
    I've not really worked with paints for a year or two (and considering the fact that I'm 17, that's a long time) and before that it I was using finger paints, I still wore spiderman pants, and I thought girls had the lurgys.
    Getting to the point now, what I need from you guys is recommendations on what paint I should use, acrylic or oil (although I know oil takes a long time to dry). What colours I need (considering I don't own anything but black spray paint, I need to know whether I need to buy anything but red, blue and yellow).
    I'm working on cardboard sort of stuff, its like card but a few millimetres thick. So fine grain and dense rather than corrugated.

2. What colours I need

If there's anything else I need or have forgotten that I don't know about, please tell me (act like I'm an idiot, all I own is a paintbrush, and I can fold up a few pieces of paper or something to use as a pallet).
    Ta in advance.
    What kind of a class, or a project is this for?.

You might pick up an idea or two here (thread about beginning painting class I just took): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=227467

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    once i forgot to take my pallette on an outing, so ended up using the back of a magazine. i wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ta in advance.
    At least use an ice-cream pail lid, the palette of choice for cheap art students everywhere.

Freezer paper's all right out in the field but I have a glass palette at home. Regular paper... well, what happens to regular paper when you put oil and water on it? Yeah, don't use paper.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.