Making of Dreadnought

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Making of Dreadnought

Part I

Hi! My name is Alexei (aka Karanak), and I’m one of concept artists working on Star Conflict’s(http://www.star-conflict.com/en/) design. Today we’re starting a “making of” series with this post about one of the largest ships in the game. I’ll guide you through the work process.
    So, here’s the task: make a huge ship-carrier, which will serve as a clan dreadnought for the Federation of Free Planets faction. The ship’s in-game size is 10 km long. Naturally it’s a carrier for smaller ships, but it’s also armed with multiple firing systems. That’s what we’ll talk about today. But first, I want to say a couple of words about the whole idea behind the dreadnought’s appearance.
    As soon as I received the order to create this ship, I started to look for inspiration: digging through piles of previous sci-fi works and searching for something capable of sparking my creative thoughts about the monster I was after. No proper inspiration was found. Then I went through some special space fantasy blogs – still nothing. I hadn’t found anything that even came close to what I was looking for, neither with this enormous size nor with the firepower and functionality of a carrier. So, I turned to the classics. I came across some artwork and screen grabs from Star Wars, and they gave me precious inspiration.
    I started making sketches to get my rough ideas down on paper. After coming up with some variations I finally had something to choose between:

Making of Dreadnought

Once the generic view was established, I switched to the ship’s weaponry design. I was expected to make several types of weapons such as mounted AA guns (which will be manned by the player); the main heavy caliber weapons (enormous laser turrets supposed to fire at enemy ships of an appropriate size); smaller laser batteries; and rocket-launching towers.
    Well, let’s start with the AA complex. I’d been thinking about the overall concept for a long time by then. The main idea was to design an automatically controlled turret with its own power generator, so it could be independent from ship’s mainframe. The sketches didn’t take much time to be made, and here’s how they looked:

Making of Dreadnought

After that I started making 3D sketches with Google Sketchup. I began with the optical sensor section responsible for targeting. The sections had several mounted cameras on it, able to rotate in multiple axes.

Making of Dreadnought

When that section was ready I switched to the body of the module, which had an elliptical platform in its base (since it was necessary for the module to contain its own power generator).

Making of Dreadnought

Barrels were put into a system of magnetic receivers that were supposed to be able to slide around the curved side of the module’s power generator.

Making of Dreadnought

And last but not least – I had to invent an appropriate attachment mechanism for the whole module. It was given a sliding lock to give it mobility in the horizontal axis.

Making of Dreadnought

Finishing the model I copied it into a blank Photoshop layer and gave it some after-effects. I merged the material render from Hypershot and a screenshot from Google Sketchup to enhance the picture without spending much time on it.

Making of Dreadnought

Maybe I’ll give more details on how I designed that module later, but for now let’s move on to the next object.
    Next on my list was a small laser turret. This module was designed to carry a lightweight laser gun. Such a weapon would not be able to saw a light fighter in half, but would still be capable of causing severe damage with its pulsing heat beams. This is the sketch of it:

Making of Dreadnought

Then I returned to the Google Sketchup environment and began modeling a basic concept. I started with the “barrel”. It was given a pair of radiators to exhaust excess heat. The element emitting the laser beam was designed as a spiral-shaped block. When spinning fast enough, it would be able to channel a static beam generated inside the turret.

Making of Dreadnought

The next step was making a box stuffed with electronic devices and a locator mounted on the top of the container

Making of Dreadnought

And finally I made sketch of the turret base that holds the barrel itself. The base is capable to move in vertical and horizontal axis and has wide angle of fire. The laser battery is also installed on it.

Making of Dreadnought

In conclusion I improved the look with small details and painted the dummy in slightly different color tones.

Making of Dreadnought

Then – same as for the AA turret – I remastered it in Photoshop and composed a concept list.

Making of Dreadnought

Now it’s time for another gun.
    his time it is a heavy laser weapon of enormous size. Basically it has something in common with main caliber cannons mounted on nowadays line ships. This gun is obviously supposed to be the main attack unit designed to destroy enemy spacecrafts of similar size. By design, these lasers will be dreadnoughts killers.
    This is how the first sketch of it looked like:

Making of Dreadnought

The weapon has two barrels. A large independent generator is placed between them. So, I began my work in Google SketchUp. I started with one of the barrels.

Making of Dreadnought

After that when the basic shapes of the barrel were ready I began creating the central part - the portion of the gun which contains the generator and all necessary attachments.

Making of Dreadnought

Then the base of the turret was made. I took the smaller laser turret base for beginning, made some changes in the whole module’s design. Added some geometry and small details.

Making of Dreadnought

Next step – adding even more visual features. This is a gun that requires a lot more details to be shown so I had to dig in and make these details.

Making of Dreadnought

Then I improved texture of the shell, put some details to main junctions and ‘voila’ – the gun is ready!

Making of Dreadnought

The final colored picture was decided to be shown later since I started running out of time with the weapon design. This is how the final list looked like

Making of Dreadnought

The last item in the current list of weaponry – rocket launchers. I believed that it should be completely classic: a box with an impressive number of rocket slots on a rotating block.

Making of Dreadnought

Started with a dummy of the main container. Pretty simple.

Making of Dreadnought

In conclusion I made a base that would carry the main portion of the gun

Making of Dreadnought

The final image was designed just like the picture of the previous weapon.

Making of Dreadnought

At this moment the order for dreadnought weaponry is complete. Maybe there will be additional requests in future but now I have to move to the next part – spaceship’s hull design. But this is a different story which I’ll tell later

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KaranaK; March 15th, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to KaranaK For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very well done WOW !!

Love. Where does it come from? Who lit this flame in us? No war can put it out, conquer it. I was a prisoner. You set me free.

Tons of Tutorials

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome 'making of', definitely looking forward to Part 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A really impressive piece of work! Can't wait to fly this babe already .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Part II

Hi guys!
    This is Part Two of the article about designing the dreadnought. Originally, I was planning to show you a part of the armor. But it so happened that after the weaponry, I began working on the ship’s control tower—the bridge.

To start, I decided to create the components that have a specific structure or will be used repeatedly. For example, components that will hold anti-aircraft turrets, repeaters, tanks, and other things ...

Making of Dreadnought

After that I moved on to the design of the bridge. First I listed out the tower requirements: whole sensory systems, long-range weapons, various means of communication, radar dishes. Also there were specific components—for example, blocks of rescue capsules. Or a scientific section with a central centrifuge. The center itself is also a medical bay. Take a look:

Making of Dreadnought

After sketching it out, I began to build up an image in Google SketchUp. Of course I started with the base.

Making of Dreadnought

I put the module containing the staff’s rescue capsules in the back at an oblique trajectory, so that they wouldn’t be ejected with the engine’s exhaust—in more or less a safe zone. I hope the rescue capsule will be useful. For example, when the ship drops to 10-15% of its total defenses, the rescue capsule prepares to shoot into space.

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

These show the section on the left side of the base, where the laboratory for studying the discovered relics is located. Another section will be located to the right of the bridge.

Making of Dreadnought

The next step was drawing the basic "cap" the bridge.

Making of Dreadnought

After outlining the base of the central section, I began to create fastenings for the main sensor units (those protrusions that were seen in the earlier stage). In the internal cavity I've drawn a couple of container hangars, which are used for cargo delivery

Making of Dreadnought

The editor started chugging, so I decided to temporarily disable the second symmetrical half of the bridge and work on only one part of it. Next I began to work on the body.

Making of Dreadnought

Then, in a separate document, I assembled sensor towers and attached these in the appropriate locations.

Making of Dreadnought

In the same way, I made the basic two-way radar tower and a spherical signal reflector (backup right and left side).

Making of Dreadnought

Then I started to work on the main parts of the bottom with the armor, windows, and detailing of other nodes of the tower.

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

It was time to pay attention to residential modules. In a new document, I assembled the main unit of the residential section and placed under the bridge. This section contains a pair of communication stations, and in the inner cavity, a few tanks are located.

Making of Dreadnought

The bottom of the bow tower is ready. It will be mounted on the right side of the base. A long corridor goes from the tower itself to the bottom of the main bridge.

Making of Dreadnought

I added a few important details, such as power relays at the back of the bridge, and finally put the bridge together.

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

The main tower is ready. Now it’s time to draw the central compartment. Located in front of the tower, it occupies the central area of the body.
    I started with the basic geometry.

Making of Dreadnought

I kept creating main blocks and adding metal.

Making of Dreadnought

All in all we have:

Making of Dreadnought

Proceeding with a separate document, I created the backup radar, which maintains centralized monitoring of all smaller units. The bridge with the radar is located on the right side of the central part. The elevator shaft connects the bridge and the lower body. The radar itself is going to be animated, giving the illusion that it’s rotating around its axis.

Making of Dreadnought

In the rear of the unit, I've placed a pair of laser turrets that I made earlier.

Making of Dreadnought

At the front part of the same unit, I’ve attached an anti-aircraft tower.

Making of Dreadnought

Finally I ended up with this design.

Making of Dreadnought

So, the central unit is complete.
    Then I created some placeholder modules for the center of the body. Take a look.

Making of Dreadnought

Later I'll come back to these, to place shunting engines into these slots, which will be located in the upper and lower parts of the body.
    Next time, I'll show you the process of working on modules, hangars, interiors, weaponry, and shunting engines.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KaranaK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is amazing. Thank you for sharing. I love watching all of the details build up in sketchup industrial designs... makes me want to get in there and play with the program more.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow - thanks for the great walk through Alexei! That's a lot of work just to upload and provide descriptions. I hope Star Conflict is a big hit!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! Let’s continue talking about designing a carrier dreadnought. Today’s topic: the operation of a modular part of the case (to be precise, the hangars and cannon units with shunting engines). All right, here we go!

Here’s a small sketch of the body, to give myself an idea of what it should look like.

Making of Dreadnought

Modular construction is optimal for this ship, because it allows different modifications to be made to each of these units. For example, it is possible to create the shock [don’t know what’s meant by “shock” – should it be “stock” (meaning “standard” or “basic”?)] ship without an aviacarrying area. Or alternatively, a colonial (not armed) transport with an increased total length.

Let’s start with work on the hangars. The first step is to make the hangar’s outer doors and to decorate the interior.

The doors have a classic sliding mechanism.

Making of Dreadnought

The lower shutter is rolls away into the lower cavity, and the upper shutter, likewise, into the upper cavity.

Making of Dreadnought

The interior of the hangar uses the same modular system. The principle is simple: from the inner hangars, the fighter has access to an elevator platform, which is located at the end of the starter shaft. Afterward, when a fighter is in the shaft, the "gravity flow" picks up the ship and takes it into space with the optimal initial flight speed.

On the right is the basic acceleration unit, and on the left, the gravitational radiator.

Making of Dreadnought

This is how the final configuration looks. At the end of the hangar, in the front hoist elevator, a control station is situated. On each side are acceleration units, and on top and in the bottom, the "anti-gravities."

Making of Dreadnought

This is how it looks all together.

Making of Dreadnought

Let’s return to the main body.

First, I outlined the basic proportions of the modules, lines, and bevels:

Making of Dreadnought

Then I created (more or less) three-dimensional details. Further, I elaborated from the structure of these parts.

Making of Dreadnought

I began work on the hangar. I set hangar sections apart, so that when you open up the hangar, the doors don’t touch each other.

Making of Dreadnought

Then I began to create the basic metal constructions.

Making of Dreadnought

I outlined a hangar layout with a covering.

Making of Dreadnought

In the inner recess between the sections, I installed the flight control unit.

Making of Dreadnought

I worked on the surface of the covering. This ship needs to be heavily armored, so I made the components of the main sections multi-staged.

Making of Dreadnought

I set the basic caliber implements on the top and in the bottom of the hangar section, and included a pair of bindings for anti-aircraft turrets. These will cover the basic upper and lower hemispheres. To cover the middle of the hangar’s anti-aircraft artillery unit, turrets located in the central section will be used. I’ll describe these later.

Making of Dreadnought

The majority of the covering. The visual filling details are distributed on three levels. The first level is very tight. It is located on the lateral section (in this case, the location of the hangar). The second level is medium. Basic and important elements of the nodes are located in the central sloping block (where equipment is installed) and in the basic protection blocks. The lower, most simple, level is located in the central section. Somewhere it's even the monolith. [I don’t know what that means] Thus, one of the basic rules of design is observed: there should always be places that are easy on the eyes, and places that attract our attention. [I think he’s saying that some areas should be simple (so the eyes can rest) and some shouldbe complex (to attract attention). Howeverr, a “place for the eye to rest” can also mean “a place for the eye to focus,” meaning that this would be the place that commands your attention. If that’s what he meant you could say “there should ways be places for the eye to rest—places that attract our attention” with the dash indicating that both of these phrases are describing the same thing.]

Making of Dreadnought

After working on the covering, here’s what we have:

Making of Dreadnought

The main construction of the hangar unit is finished, but setting the anti-aircraft turrets remains. Here’s the result of this work:

Making of Dreadnought

Next I began to work on the engine correction block and the basic array of secondary weapons. This part was based on my work with the hangar.

The basis for the gun parts:

Making of Dreadnought

I produced this by marking the body according to the future locations of the shunting units. The I outlined the covering.

Making of Dreadnought

I set modular docking stations around the edges and lined up a few sheets of the main covering:

Making of Dreadnought

I established three massive anti-aircraft units at the tower, designed to cover the central part of the body.

Making of Dreadnought

An important step: this created the basis for the motor nozzle (heat sinks and radiation reflectors). [I’m assuming the heat sinks and radation reflectors are what make up the motor nozzle. If these are actually three different things, it should be “motor nozzle, heat sinks, and radiation reflectors.”]

Making of Dreadnought

I installed engine nozzles, which had been created separately. At the same time I took care of the horizontal protective shields.

Making of Dreadnought

With the major work on the motor section completed, I continued to work on the central section of the body. I installed four torpedo missile turrets.

Making of Dreadnought

I started working on the slopes of the body, placing three laser towers on the top and bottom sides.

Making of Dreadnought

Placing components made it look like this:

Making of Dreadnought

The final stage – detailing of the part of the covering that’s closer to the center of the ship – is one that we have listed as “low detailed.”

Making of Dreadnought

The module is ready! Here's how it looks:

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

The last element to be reviewed today is the construction of the main hangar (the ship’s cargo space). In the game universe, the hangar’s role is to store large objects left behind by the Precursors, and also to transport large ships. The hangar’s role in the gameplay is that it's the last vulnerable area of the ship that must be destroyed. This is the place closest to the reactor, and by breaking through the thin back wall of the hangar, you can cause a chain reaction of destruction to the nucleus—and, therefore, the destruction of the ship. But to get into this hangar, you need to perform several tasks. One of them is to destroy the hangar’s force field generators, which are located in the bow of the ship.

First, as usual, I made a simple sketch, to be filled in with details.

Making of Dreadnought

Gradually I built up the covering, hangar layout, and important elements such as the bridge monitoring hangar, technical units, and "cover" of the reactor.

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Today’s mission is done! In the next part of the article, I will tell you about my work on the nose and tail parts of the ship.

Making of Dreadnought

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KaranaK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, my friends! This is the conclusion of the article about making the dreadnought. Today, I'll tell you how I created the front and back parts of the ship.

This is where I began.

Making of Dreadnought

I started with detail work, trying a couple of different variations. These and some other vertical objects in the front part of the ship will be useful in the gameplay. Pilots will fly around them and hide from enemies there. The lateral foreship cavity will be one of the safest ways to reach the final point of destruction—the central hangar (where only a few anti-aircraft guns are located). Of course, this security is relative, since flying in tight spaces requires skill. But experienced pilots will be able to interact with the "terrain"—to hide while repairing a ship, or to carry out a sudden attack on the enemy.

Making of Dreadnought

I outlined a flap of the foreship’s shield emitter. This is one of the elements that needs to be destroyed to take the ship down. To get into the foreship, you need to turn this off.

Making of Dreadnought

For the next step, I straightened the foreship’s geometry and outlined the thickness of the shell.

Making of Dreadnought

I continued to add detail to the vessel’s inner cavity. I installed shafts, which are used to transport various pieces of equipment. These shafts can also be used to eject beacons (to identify critical areas), to set up a minefield, and to let out different types of drones.

Making of Dreadnought

The covering, life supporting systems, a variety of containers, and more—all of these details are included on the list of the ship’s required contents. I staged rocket launchers in one of the planes.

Making of Dreadnought

In a separate document I created an array of the ship’s electronics and moved this to the mounting position. In active mode, these are used to deduce hyperspace coordinates. In passive mode, this is the primary electronic warfare system—any other ships that are near this ship’s nose will not have the opportunity to initiate warpdrive. This item is a duplicated system, since it's an important element of the ship. If the ship’s warfare system is destroyed, the ship can only perform a "blind" cyber-jump.

Making of Dreadnought

In the inner part of the body, a number of transformers have been set. When these are destroyed, the main hangar’s central forcefield turns off and access to the ship’s core becomes available.

Making of Dreadnought

I continued detailing the body.

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

I installed two anti-aircraft gun mounts on the inside edge. The body is symmetrical, so there are four installations on the front inner zone. This detail is also a part of the gameplay—players have to choose whether to fly through an unprotected side zone to the center of the ship (and risk a potential conflict), or to fly through the foreship (where the foreship guns can be met). However, the flight through the upper part of the ship is not very pleasant, either, since anti-aircraft guns will be installed there.

Making of Dreadnought

I went on with the body detailing and set the AA gun mount.

Making of Dreadnought

Working and working...

Making of Dreadnought

I put bottom half of the ship aside and continued to work the middle part of the body.

Making of Dreadnought

I gradually filled the body with detailed covering and various modules.

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Then I detailed the shield emitter’s flap.

Making of Dreadnought

I worked on the inside of the body

Making of Dreadnought

Finally, I detailed the rest of the covering and attached contacts to the shield emitter. To get into the foreship’s inner cavity, players will have to shoot off these contacts.

Making of Dreadnought

This is how the foreship looks in the end.

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Next I got started on the final module—a module of engines and gravitational pull. Making the shield emitter was the first step.

Making of Dreadnought

Here's the SketchUp [or “sketched”?] object. Next I worked on the steel structure of the bulkheads.

Making of Dreadnought

Here's the outlined, non-detailed version.

Making of Dreadnought

Then I detailed it.

Making of Dreadnought

Finally I created the holder. There should actually be a capacitor over it. To disable the shield, you need to overload this system. During overload, the shield turns off and gives you an access to the ship’s rear systems.

Making of Dreadnought

Work continued on the body. The ship’s construction is fairly standard. I began with the basic geometry, and later went on detailing it.

Making of Dreadnought

I installed shield emitters on the body.

Making of Dreadnought

Then I began detailing the thickness of the covering.

Making of Dreadnought

I created the ledges for the future gravity block and outlined the armor sheets.

Making of Dreadnought

I created stabilization blocks and part of the body’s layout.

Making of Dreadnought

I upgraded this part of the body and set tail shafts similar to those on the foreship.

Making of Dreadnought

Step by step, I detailed the major part of the covering.

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

I created a gravity unit in a separate document and attached it in the right place. This maintains a constant gravity on the ship. When you get close to objects that have gravity (such as planets), the gravity unit helps you perform incredible maneuvers and even stay in a planet's atmosphere for some time (a couple of minutes). To do this, you need to channel all of the energy to the gravitational block—but there is a risk of draining the reactor core. This system can also be used for an emergency landing, but this landing would be the ship’s last—the reactor core isn’t powerful enough to survive such an overload.

Making of Dreadnought

Speaking of the propulsion system, there are 11 engines at the rear. The central engine is a warpdrive engine. The "triplets" on the left and right are boosters. The extreme "dyads" are for maneuvering.

In a separate document I created a few nozzles.

Making of Dreadnought

I began installing these nozzles, while detailing the back of the body. Then I installed the shunting unit.

Making of Dreadnought

Boosters.

Making of Dreadnought

And warpdrive. I worked on a heat resistant covering for the back part of the ship.

Making of Dreadnought

I worked on the remaining piece of the covering.

Making of Dreadnought

The last element remaining was the shunting unit. This needed to be installed on the central part of the ship so that it could move vertically. Doing so was easy—I created it from an existing module.

Making of Dreadnought

The development stage is completed. All that remained was to assemble the ship… a process that took about one day.

Then I chose a color scheme.

Making of Dreadnought

And next I painted various elements. After assembling and painting, the ship started to look like this:

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

Making of Dreadnought

That's all! To wrap up, I Photoshoped the ship and created the concept list.

Making of Dreadnought

fullsize: http://star-conflict.com/upload/imag...ing_of4/50.jpg

I hope players will love this ship!

Technical info:
    • Project length: about 45-50 days
    • Folder with all of the dreadnought’s data: 4GB
    • Final Photoshop file: 210MB
    • Final SketchUp document (without anti-aircraft turrets): 67MB
    • Final area: 4,745,000 polygons (without anti-aircraft turrets)

14. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to KaranaK For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    out
    of
    this
    world...

best!

"Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it"

HOMER SIMPSON

http://geduliss.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know, they are going to love it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic model, your greebling is superb. And you obviously have a lot of patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude. That's one fucking beast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally ludicrous and awe inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuck dude. that is on a whole other level. amazing

* edit

have you recorded any video of you working in sketchUp ? would love to see something this epic unfold

Last edited by inverse catheter; March 18th, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is simply insane!!!! thank you so much for putting this up, it blew my mind...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's hard to find words how i admire your ship!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you really need to make a How To Book or something, this stuff is excellant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great thread, and fantastic work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the tutorial, fantastic work as always

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap, you have a mastery over google sketchup, I didn't even know it was capable of producing such highly detailed models!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, thanks for this! It is not only might impressive, but also very inspirational. Cheers!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome job dude!

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Отец, это самая о х у е н н а я работа которую я когда либо видел в данной категории. Как только скетчуп выжил.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What the actual... Wow, I'm simply stunned. This is what a spaceship would look like if it were a few thousand years later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HOLY SHIT.

how long did it take you if you dont mind me asking?

i use 3dsmax, never used google sketchup, i would hate to think how long it would take to make in max... :/

To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NyeAlexandaFrayne View Post
    HOLY SHIT.

how long did it take you if you dont mind me asking?

i use 3dsmax, never used google sketchup, i would hate to think how long it would take to make in max... :/
    Imagine in 3Dsmax? All the connects, outlines, bevels and extrudes you would have to do! I would assume that I'd start pulling out my hair eventually. I guess Greeble (downloadable modifier) would be your best bet if you quickly want to do all this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for taking the time to share this. the end result loooks superb, very pro indeed.
    you say it took 45-50 days, how many hours per day?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing, really inspiring! I have a lot of trouble "thinking" about detail when i model in sketchup, this will really help give me some ideas how to step up my own work, thanks a million!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pld: the sheer number of details gave me a headache....ive seen your other ship designs but this....this is f###ing INSANE(in a good way)!

How do you come up with so much different details? Do you have some of them pre fabricated, so you just copy them in or everything comes from imagination?

What system are you running.. my computer would probably crash half way detailing one part`?

Big fan of your work..your such an inspiratsion keep at it..cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 28