Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 721 Posts

Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 1st of January.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Spine Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The background
    Through 206 rounds of the Spartan Camp, we've never really paid attention to the spine specifically. Still, the spine is the central stabilizing structure in the human body connecting the head, chest and pelvis and allowing movement between them. Time for a true anatomy study!

The exercise
    Perform a study of the spine (also 'backbone' or 'vertebral column'). Your goal is to grasp its basic shape and function. You can go as in-depth as you wish... from a gesture drawing perspective it is not required to study every single vertebra in detail. Rather, you'll want to understand its functionality in a broad sense.
    For instance, draw its characteristic curvature and indicate the bends. Check at what level the head, chest, pelvis are connected to the spine. These bends largely determine how the major forms of the human body are angled- you can easily see the shape of the spine 'from the outside'.

Reference recommended! Below are a couple of links to get you going.

Link1; Description, overall shape
    Link2; Description, overall shape
    Link3; Several anatomical illustrations, first one is nice.
    Link4 The wikipedia entry also has some good pointers on orientation from the outside.

Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #206

Little-Maiden
    AdrianNagorski
    Talis
    Guardian G.I.
    shiNIN
    Azimuth
    ashess
    Obacmar
    Anthis
    zy.
    Yinari
    MrChow

Take a look at my Website!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Was about to post this in the old thread when I saw that there was already a new one

Anyway, I did a photostudy today. Though I feel like I spend way too much time on it (was about 3-4 hours I think 0.0).
    Please let me know what you guys think of it. =) I'll try to get some more gestures done today aswell.

My scanner messed things up a bit =(
    Attachment 1388963

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yinari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yinari: The facial features are misplaced, pay more attention to the proportions of the head.

The usual stuff, thirty and sixty seconds gestures. More to come tomorrow, if anyone cares.
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Little Maiden Just make them studies with whatever your comfortable with, pecil is always a good choice.
    I've always liked to draw but I started taking it more seriously since I joined CA, although I've been slacking way too much, trying to get really serious now
    Guardian G.I. I think it might help you to concentrate on finding the 3 major bone structures, head (a circle), rib cage (egg shaped ellipse) and the pelvis ( a horizontal ellipse) and their angle of tilt, you can draw the limbs with lines or curves, thats a good way to start to understand the figure.

some gestures and a little study for today

update > Anthis I'm amazed with your figures from imagination, they're so solid, they sure inspire me. About Hapmton's book, I think it's thought as more practical to get drawing the figure and not so much about anatomical facts, you can always complement it with another book like "the Human Figure" by David K. Rubins.

I did some figures from imagination, they look cartoonish and flawed but they will get better
    Last edited by MrChow; December 31st, 2011 at 07:00 PM.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrChow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Guardian G.I. Could you maybe elaborate a bit on that? Right now I feel like I've stared at it for too long, which makes it a bit difficult to see the mistakes.

Did some more heads yesterday (with references), but forgot to upload them. Bleh I just can't get them right. Perhaps I should try to draw them bigger..
    Also did some eyes that I copied from Hampton (some of them anyway).

So many gestures! You guys sure are busy Unlike me lol, I'm a bit lazy today it seems.

Attachment 1389564

Attachment 1389563

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 721 Posts
    Yinari; Ah, nice to see some smaller portraits as well now. What you said about the longer portrait is most likely true. I'd add that it pays to take a little distance and check the overall feel of the head while you're sketching. Forget about the details, just the bigger shape. Does it all look OK? Get caught up in details early and you may not be able to correct mistakes. Nice job on the other heads, are you using Loomis' method or something similar? You might want to start out with some simple but accurate front and side views; just to get the feeling of proportion. Good eyes!

Guardian G.I.; Of course we care! Though this may be a rough week, in between x-mas and new years eve. I think these gestures are improving; at least their sense of scale and proportion is. MrChow has some good pointers on drawing the figure. Ill add that those 3 big masses (head, ribcare, pelvis) have a mostly fixed shapes by themselves that are relatively easy to memorize. They also form the core of the body in terms of structure. Once you realize this, it's easy to analyse other figures by determining how the "big 3" are positioned.

MrChow; In response to your post in the last thread;
    I mostly work on cheap A3 sheets. It takes 2 scans to cover the whole surface, so the scans I post here are always roughly at A4 size. Perhaps I should simply work bigger. What you said about line weight is true, I had somewhat forgotten this.
    Great gestures! Your figures are very well balanced too. Especially those fencers, they're fantastic. Very solid action too. I'd love to see some of your own gestures, you've done those before judging from your sketchbook. Really solid work!

Decided to give Michael Hampton's books a try, been hearing many good things about him lately.
    Turns out I really like his approach. I only wish he'd name the muscles more often.

First 3 scans after Michael Hampton, last 3 scans are the imagination follow-up.

Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"

Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"

Take a look at my Website!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    Once you realize this, it's easy to analyse other figures by determining how the "big 3" are positioned.
    I never experienced this. Head and ribcage are okayish but if it's not some simple standn pose, I'm often lost about what the pelvis is doing. I never knew how others figure this out.

I have nothing yet (just some pencil anatomy studies) but this:
    It probably isn't pretty or coherent, I drew every muscle separately.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    More studies of Michael Hampton, as well as some 60 sec gestures.
    I don't have time for comments right now.
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

gentleman gestures

Hay everyone.
    Can I just post and not crit this time, confidence is low
    The shoveling is from yesterday
    got frustrated doing too many 30 gestures, because I find a 1 minute looks overworked.!
    Then I try and work with the loose gestures. I think I get enough info in the 30 sec, but I dunno..Just gonna keep doing this till something sticks.
    - [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

*puke*

----Some Crits & Replies

@Mr. Chow
    Thanks for the advice, I generally switch between tablet and pencil, but I figure learning to do well with pencils should come before trying tablets. I do hate drawing on a tablet, it feels so...smooth and flow compared to pencils and I am trying my best not to grip the pen like I want to murder it. I wonder how long it'll take before I can successfully sketch well with a tablet rather than just using it to paint.

fantastic set of fencers, Really great flow in the figures. Were they referenced? Also I like the value study of the house/building. Theres a clear sense of Light - Midtone - Dark. It gives me the idea to start doing that.

@Obacmar
    Nice shovelling. Don't get discouraged- and gestures are all up to the individual. I personally like 60 secs because I like to embelish a bit after capturing general pose. It also allows me 15 secs of just looking at the figure for a quick study. Not sure im doing it right, but I've certainly improved in gestures ever since I started doing that. Varying the time occasionally can also help.

@ShiNIN oh I hate pelvis too, but generally its placement of legs that bother me, that and the connection between torso and pelvis. I can't seem to get that part to look right.

@Anthis Sweet figures! going for 50? I've got to get doing full sketchy contours like those. I'll need to do at least 25 before the end of this round!

@Yinari Keep doing what you're doing, try being patient with a drawing, and measuring. Even if its boring as hell, measuring a drawing and placing each feature correctly in relation to everything else will serve you better than a 100 mindless drawings.

@Guardian G.I. Your gestures are improving, but you should try bulk gestures, like do 50x 15 second gestures with a thick marker, and practice your hand with ellipses and point to point lines. This before doing the actual gestures. Like a warm up to the warm up. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins and it usually gets you a bit less tense during the actual warm-up.

Lazy to post, so ill just dump the past 3 days here

1. Page of gestures from imagination- they are about 45-90 seconds each. I really am not pleased with my gestures from imagination, Generally its expected that imagination will be less accurate than referenced, but I feel like the gap between my referenced gestures and imagined ones is substantially huge.

2. Page of posemaniac gestures. (50+)
    I really do wonder sometimes about doing gestures on tablet. I find it easier to draw in pencil, but I can't seem to do gestures properly in pencil, I find it alot more comfortable to gesture on tablet. I wonder if it makes a difference at all. I want to learn as fast as possible so im wondering if I should just grit my teeth and put up with crappy pencil gestures until I get a hang of it.

3. Page of: Characters purley from imagination (though i used random refs for the Samurai armour) I was doodling around with. (2 are from the previous Spartan camp- the last Mongolian warrior dude was to finish the page)

4. Torso Studies from Bridgeman

5. Lower leg studies also from Bridgeman

6. The optional challenge for this camp: a page of spine & back studies. (Also with some Bridgeman)

whew!
    Last edited by Little-Maiden; December 29th, 2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: attachments not loading properly

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Andrew Loomis. Studied the plates of "Drawing the Head and Hands" covering facial markings and aging.
    It's 3 AM here in Belarus, so no comments and responses from me in the upcoming 10-12 hours at all.
    Last edited by Guardian G.I.; December 30th, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    I stopped doing my endless anatomy sketches with pencil... Here are some gestures.

Thanks
    My sister was kind enough to give me all her painting equipment.
    So this is my first time in my life painting with acrylic paint.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast