Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 683 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 1st of January.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Spine Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The background
    Through 206 rounds of the Spartan Camp, we've never really paid attention to the spine specifically. Still, the spine is the central stabilizing structure in the human body connecting the head, chest and pelvis and allowing movement between them. Time for a true anatomy study!

The exercise
    Perform a study of the spine (also 'backbone' or 'vertebral column'). Your goal is to grasp its basic shape and function. You can go as in-depth as you wish... from a gesture drawing perspective it is not required to study every single vertebra in detail. Rather, you'll want to understand its functionality in a broad sense.
    For instance, draw its characteristic curvature and indicate the bends. Check at what level the head, chest, pelvis are connected to the spine. These bends largely determine how the major forms of the human body are angled- you can easily see the shape of the spine 'from the outside'.

Reference recommended! Below are a couple of links to get you going.

Link1; Description, overall shape
    Link2; Description, overall shape
    Link3; Several anatomical illustrations, first one is nice.
    Link4 The wikipedia entry also has some good pointers on orientation from the outside.

Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #206

Little-Maiden
    AdrianNagorski
    Talis
    Guardian G.I.
    shiNIN
    Azimuth
    ashess
    Obacmar
    Anthis
    zy.
    Yinari
    MrChow

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was about to post this in the old thread when I saw that there was already a new one

Anyway, I did a photostudy today. Though I feel like I spend way too much time on it (was about 3-4 hours I think 0.0).
    Please let me know what you guys think of it. =) I'll try to get some more gestures done today aswell.

My scanner messed things up a bit =(
    Name:  Beth Riesgraf.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  404.8 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yinari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yinari: The facial features are misplaced, pay more attention to the proportions of the head.

The usual stuff, thirty and sixty seconds gestures. More to come tomorrow, if anyone cares.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little Maiden Just make them studies with whatever your comfortable with, pecil is always a good choice.
    I've always liked to draw but I started taking it more seriously since I joined CA, although I've been slacking way too much, trying to get really serious now
    Guardian G.I. I think it might help you to concentrate on finding the 3 major bone structures, head (a circle), rib cage (egg shaped ellipse) and the pelvis ( a horizontal ellipse) and their angle of tilt, you can draw the limbs with lines or curves, thats a good way to start to understand the figure.

some gestures and a little study for today

update > Anthis I'm amazed with your figures from imagination, they're so solid, they sure inspire me. About Hapmton's book, I think it's thought as more practical to get drawing the figure and not so much about anatomical facts, you can always complement it with another book like "the Human Figure" by David K. Rubins.

I did some figures from imagination, they look cartoonish and flawed but they will get better

Last edited by MrChow; December 31st, 2011 at 08:00 PM.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrChow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guardian G.I. Could you maybe elaborate a bit on that? Right now I feel like I've stared at it for too long, which makes it a bit difficult to see the mistakes.

Did some more heads yesterday (with references), but forgot to upload them. Bleh I just can't get them right. Perhaps I should try to draw them bigger..
    Also did some eyes that I copied from Hampton (some of them anyway).

So many gestures! You guys sure are busy Unlike me lol, I'm a bit lazy today it seems.

Name:  headspractice2.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  eyespractice.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  114.4 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 683 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yinari; Ah, nice to see some smaller portraits as well now. What you said about the longer portrait is most likely true. I'd add that it pays to take a little distance and check the overall feel of the head while you're sketching. Forget about the details, just the bigger shape. Does it all look OK? Get caught up in details early and you may not be able to correct mistakes. Nice job on the other heads, are you using Loomis' method or something similar? You might want to start out with some simple but accurate front and side views; just to get the feeling of proportion. Good eyes!

Guardian G.I.; Of course we care! Though this may be a rough week, in between x-mas and new years eve. I think these gestures are improving; at least their sense of scale and proportion is. MrChow has some good pointers on drawing the figure. Ill add that those 3 big masses (head, ribcare, pelvis) have a mostly fixed shapes by themselves that are relatively easy to memorize. They also form the core of the body in terms of structure. Once you realize this, it's easy to analyse other figures by determining how the "big 3" are positioned.

MrChow; In response to your post in the last thread;
    I mostly work on cheap A3 sheets. It takes 2 scans to cover the whole surface, so the scans I post here are always roughly at A4 size. Perhaps I should simply work bigger. What you said about line weight is true, I had somewhat forgotten this.
    Great gestures! Your figures are very well balanced too. Especially those fencers, they're fantastic. Very solid action too. I'd love to see some of your own gestures, you've done those before judging from your sketchbook. Really solid work!

Decided to give Michael Hampton's books a try, been hearing many good things about him lately.
    Turns out I really like his approach. I only wish he'd name the muscles more often.

First 3 scans after Michael Hampton, last 3 scans are the imagination follow-up.

Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"

Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"Spartan Camp #207 - 50 gestures + Optional "Spine Study"

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    Once you realize this, it's easy to analyse other figures by determining how the "big 3" are positioned.
    I never experienced this. Head and ribcage are okayish but if it's not some simple standn pose, I'm often lost about what the pelvis is doing. I never knew how others figure this out.

I have nothing yet (just some pencil anatomy studies) but this:
    It probably isn't pretty or coherent, I drew every muscle separately.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies of Michael Hampton, as well as some 60 sec gestures.
    I don't have time for comments right now.

Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

gentleman gestures

Hay everyone.
    Can I just post and not crit this time, confidence is low
    The shoveling is from yesterday
    got frustrated doing too many 30 gestures, because I find a 1 minute looks overworked.!
    Then I try and work with the loose gestures. I think I get enough info in the 30 sec, but I dunno..Just gonna keep doing this till something sticks.

- [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

*puke*

----Some Crits & Replies

@Mr. Chow
    Thanks for the advice, I generally switch between tablet and pencil, but I figure learning to do well with pencils should come before trying tablets. I do hate drawing on a tablet, it feels so...smooth and flow compared to pencils and I am trying my best not to grip the pen like I want to murder it. I wonder how long it'll take before I can successfully sketch well with a tablet rather than just using it to paint.

fantastic set of fencers, Really great flow in the figures. Were they referenced? Also I like the value study of the house/building. Theres a clear sense of Light - Midtone - Dark. It gives me the idea to start doing that.

@Obacmar
    Nice shovelling. Don't get discouraged- and gestures are all up to the individual. I personally like 60 secs because I like to embelish a bit after capturing general pose. It also allows me 15 secs of just looking at the figure for a quick study. Not sure im doing it right, but I've certainly improved in gestures ever since I started doing that. Varying the time occasionally can also help.

@ShiNIN oh I hate pelvis too, but generally its placement of legs that bother me, that and the connection between torso and pelvis. I can't seem to get that part to look right.

@Anthis Sweet figures! going for 50? I've got to get doing full sketchy contours like those. I'll need to do at least 25 before the end of this round!

@Yinari Keep doing what you're doing, try being patient with a drawing, and measuring. Even if its boring as hell, measuring a drawing and placing each feature correctly in relation to everything else will serve you better than a 100 mindless drawings.

@Guardian G.I. Your gestures are improving, but you should try bulk gestures, like do 50x 15 second gestures with a thick marker, and practice your hand with ellipses and point to point lines. This before doing the actual gestures. Like a warm up to the warm up. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins and it usually gets you a bit less tense during the actual warm-up.

Lazy to post, so ill just dump the past 3 days here

1. Page of gestures from imagination- they are about 45-90 seconds each. I really am not pleased with my gestures from imagination, Generally its expected that imagination will be less accurate than referenced, but I feel like the gap between my referenced gestures and imagined ones is substantially huge.

2. Page of posemaniac gestures. (50+)
    I really do wonder sometimes about doing gestures on tablet. I find it easier to draw in pencil, but I can't seem to do gestures properly in pencil, I find it alot more comfortable to gesture on tablet. I wonder if it makes a difference at all. I want to learn as fast as possible so im wondering if I should just grit my teeth and put up with crappy pencil gestures until I get a hang of it.

3. Page of: Characters purley from imagination (though i used random refs for the Samurai armour) I was doodling around with. (2 are from the previous Spartan camp- the last Mongolian warrior dude was to finish the page)

4. Torso Studies from Bridgeman

5. Lower leg studies also from Bridgeman

6. The optional challenge for this camp: a page of spine & back studies. (Also with some Bridgeman)

whew!

Last edited by Little-Maiden; December 29th, 2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: attachments not loading properly

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Loomis. Studied the plates of "Drawing the Head and Hands" covering facial markings and aging.
    It's 3 AM here in Belarus, so no comments and responses from me in the upcoming 10-12 hours at all.

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; December 30th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stopped doing my endless anatomy sketches with pencil... Here are some gestures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sister was kind enough to give me all her painting equipment.
    So this is my first time in my life painting with acrylic paint.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yinari-- very beautiful portrait! I think you did a good job with the hair. Hard to say how accurate it is without seeing the ref (I don't fully agree with Guardian G.I., there is a lot of variation in human facial structure out there. Though some tweaking here and there may help), looks pretty good to me. Plus it's got style and I like that

Guardian G.I.-- Good 30 secs. In your first sub I wrote that it might be worth paying attention to the hips, they're super tricky but really worth it. In this last post though it looks like you're doing just that, and already your figures look more solid. So never mind =D

MrChow-- I really love your crisp lines and blocked out shading. Will you give a tutorial someday? I think your works from imagination are quite solid. I find your shoulders to be particularly informative. I like how you break them up into basic units. Thanks for sharing

Anthis-- You're sketches this week are particularly helpful. You always have such meticulous clean lines, and this week I feel like you are a little more sketchy. For me, this is a really good thing. Because I can see where you're exploring and laying out the figure. With one of your figures (lower right first page from imagination) it looks like we're looking up at him. Have you tried placing the viewer above or below the figure? From where I stand your quite an advanced figure artist, maybe it'd be fun

shiNIN-- nice legs Question: do you find drawing the internal musculature helpful in understanding anatomy? I did that for a while, but that I got swamped with too much info on all those moving parts. Just looking at the muscles that are visible has been a really nice simplification. Not sure if that's actually a good suggestion though…

Obacmar-- Great spine studies! You're inspired me to give it a shot. Esp nice shoveling snow! (love the smiling guy)

Little-Maiden-- Very impressive progress! Your torso studies are very informative. I like the two triangles approach to chest and hips

AdrianNagorski-- I am digging that dark blue in the sky. Keep it up, you're a brave soul to venture into acrylics (I never could stand them!)

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A 20 minute study of gesture and light. I have been avoiding color for far too long, so I'm taking the plunge and venturing out of my comfort zone. But because I have no time I figured coloring my gesture drawing would be a good way to go... I miss my comfort zone

Name:  27dec11a.png
Views: 817
Size:  581.8 KB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zy.: No, I don't really study internal muscles, they would be too much... Well they are too cute and I surely will draw them when I will draw my idea of a skeleton party (I will never draw bones well enough for that ), the participants wearing some muscles But I don't mind using refs for the inner ones. Some inner muscle are too important and visible on a bodybuilder's body (erector spinae), we should know them.
    Your last study looks good! Even the change (your girl arches her back more) makes it sexier... Pleasing colors too.

I have just these now:

A hard portrait... The ref is low res and awesome, hardest combo (he's Trym/Emperor, drummer btw) I spent most time on the eyes and mouth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Myelomeningocele

Working slow today.

I love all the color up in err! Real paints Whoooooaaa! Adrian, you are brave. Were they messy? . I like the smell of markers. I seem to be in a better mood today. (no I haven't been sniffing markers, but it sounds like a good idea..)
    Nice digi colors Zy maybe use a few less.
    I think I was listening to Emperor yesterday ShNIN. I don't know the drummer but I bet a 10 burning churches he would love that portrait.
    Anthis the folds of form in your anatomy are so graceful. Dam that snds pervy .
    Maiden Thx for the advice, totally made my day. The Samurai is dope!
    G.I. Beaut studies! The Heads all look skewed up to the right.
    Ohhh Chow ! yer good. I would love to see a live feed of your sketching. (Dam that snds perrvy too ) But seriously, the fencing set is my fav.
    Hey Yinari welcome The eyes are really cool. Could you add a little contrast to your images plz. thx

Last edited by Obacmar; December 30th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
    - [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obacmar: not to messy just on my hands, painted it on a cereal box, on the floor in a bunch of hours on my knees, felt crazy standing up again!! wasted a bit of paint coz i wasnt sure how much to use, basically had to throw the colour palette away and just a few newspaper pages and one rag, + maybe 15min brush cleaning time. Started around 8 at night and finished about 11 so time flew fast tho and the paint sort of dries quickly, cant wait to do more!!!!!!

SO some life drawings of the GF on the train + studies today
    again a busy week work work work, next week i got five days off, really gonna try hammer things out then.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Obacmar View Post
    I think I was listening to Emperor yesterday ShNIN. I don't know the drummer but I bet a 10 burning churches he would love that portrait.
    Thanks
    Your skeletons have a nice flow, I like them. The spine looks great, I dunno if I will have patience for vertebrae...

I've been listening to some Fintroll lately, love it . At some point I felt some humppa dancing trolls must infiltrate these more or less sacred lands But my skills combined with minimal effort isn't the way for success.
    I didn't draw today but shot my sb pages. I'm still not ashamed enough but I omitted zillion pelvises and whatnots at least.

Keyboard battery still low, no more blurb or crit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 846 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    happy new year all!
    critz to follow; will upload my trad stuff too soon.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AIGHT here we go- in order by posted.
    Yinari- you asked for something more specific, so got you a quick paintover...its at the end of the post b/c the insert function isnt working again. you'll notice the basic problem is the eyes and the mouth/nose lines dont line up. on the 2nd pose, the yese are very nice, nice and structured. the heads lack that though. I'd give them some construction -like I did on the paint over before getting into details. use the buildup method guardian gi did in his last post.

Guardian g.i. - gestures are good, but I think you would gain more from doing slightly longer poses, giving you the time to get the proportions right. I wouldnt watch the clock too much. the spine and chest studies are awesome! the heads are good too.

Mr Chow- amazing work. I love the hands and fencers best. all your drawings have a sense of 'larger then life' about them that I'm very jealous of!

Anthis- some very nice and informative rear ends there! your imaginary pieces are strong as ever. I feel as if you could progress even farther, but Im not sure how. maybe by going into plains instead of silouette.

Shinin- leg muscles study isnt bad at all; I know how hard it is to keep eye on proportion when getting into the shape of the muscles; you pulled it off pretty well. gestures, the last on the left her legs are squashed. it's a hard angle. you could look as some ref and study how the knee and lower/upper leg interlock. the one on the right is great though! the trolls are a nice idea- dont forget they are actually just ugly humans, so you can just use the human bone structure and shape setup.

Obacmar- those 3d figures are great! Im always amazed how you seem to effortlessly pull off adding volume.

Little maiden- lovely gestures, great studies as always. the finished figures could do with a bit more boldness. the hands especially feel forced. maybe do some hands as gestures next time?

Adrain- haha! paint. great piece for a first attempt. painting is always wastefull. if you dont put enough paint on your palette, you risk not using that color as much as you should have because you're out..

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to crit. Especially your paint over was really helpfull ashess.
    Now I feel guilty for not criting myself. It's just that right now I dont feel very comfortably doing so, because I'm not good enough yet.

Didn't really have the time to upload my drawings these past few days so here they are now. I started drawing skulls, and plan to draw 100 of them. Hopefully this will help me understand proportions a bit better.

Name:  heads3.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  308.1 KB

Name:  heads4.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  skulls 1.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  281.4 KB

Name:  Skulls 2.1.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  194.0 KB

Name:  Skulls 2.2.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  167.4 KB

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Yinari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Ynari, your welcome. I wouldnt worry too much about having skill when you crit. just because you couldnt do it yourself doesnt mean you cant see a mistake is what I always think. anyway, just do what our comfortable with. good skulls there; doing a hundred sounds like quite a task! really like 8. in the 3rd the teeth and eyeline dont line up again.

hmm. what I got tonight. I did some transparent fishes 'cause I kept thinking about them with the back bone study. from ref; great fun.
    then I did some figures from the top of my head. had to force myself to keep going. I find it quite frustrating and wanna go get some ref every time I mess up. tried not to do that too much here, but couldnt stop myself after completely messing up an ass.
    Name:  fish.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  figs.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  47.0 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yinari: Don't worry, it's okay. Crits aren't a must Even I criticized just a few times (compared to the rounds I was participated in) and I love to criticize Well I'm way better with single works...
    I'm rusty and no good with head angles but I know a lil bit about skulls.
    Too bad it's late but maybe this crappy thing will have some usefulness
    Skulls differ a lot, it didn't help...

ashess: Really nice fish!

Yesterday wasn't my day again. No optional and just these crappy things, even reffed, kind of. I was lazy.

Last edited by shiNIN; January 2nd, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, maybe I'll give giving crits a try later on
    ashess Those fish are really nice. Yea 100 skulls is a lot, I have the feeling I'll run out of refs way before I get there.
    ShiNIN Thanks for pointing out the mistakes. I'll try to pay more attention to that.

5 more skulls from yesterday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinari View Post
    Yea 100 skulls is a lot, I have the feeling I'll run out of refs way before I get there.
    If photos are enough (well not the best but I don't have a proper skull myself, including the one I'm currently using and all those muscles and skin are in my way I have a decorated bronze one though, a wonderful one), there are plenty of refs to be found. If character is more important than photo resolution, I advise the Hyrtl collection, I love it, especially Geza, the one in my avatar
    Keep it up, I try to take an example of you, I rarely practice most angles, they are so hard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ShiNINYes photo's are enough, I don't want to spend any money on a real skull right now. My problem is that it takes so long to find a skull that I want to draw. I spend so much time looking for skulls in different angles that I barely get to draw. The ones I find are either front view, or are missing the jaw XD I'm sure there are nice refs out there, I just have to find them
    I'm now looking for more photo's from that collection you mentioned, the ones I've seen so far really made me realize how different skulls can be.

After you mentioned him, I really had to draw Geza too XD He looks funny imo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure study.
    The head is too small, and the torso is overstretched. I'm making the same mistakes again (not to mention the anatomy).

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinari View Post
    I spend so much time looking for skulls in different angles that I barely get to draw. The ones I find are either front view, or are missing the jaw XD
    You are brave. I've drawn heads only in front and profile view for YEARS... *sigh*
    Well I met quite a few sites selling skulls I'd never want to buy (damn expensive) but the attached big photos from different angles are useful (I dislike when there's light everywhere on them though).
    Hmmm I just find these, only one angle for each, no too extreme angles...
    It was an easy find, probably doesn't help much:
    http://www.boneclones.com/catalog-hu...ult-skulls.htm

Ohh this is very mixed but has some atmosphere and different angles. More dramatic lighting and not boring tidy and bright white ones
    http://www.bjwinslow.com/gallery/skulls

Last edited by shiNIN; January 4th, 2012 at 06:34 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 4