Following

C.o.w. #242. Freestyle!. VOTING!

Round 242 voting!

Topic: Freestyle

Deadline: 1 week.

requirements this cow...

- be as creative as possible!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; January 5th, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Goog

Concept: Craytin

The Craytin is a marine creature that roams the coastal waters, reefs, and shallows; the common denominator of these habitats being large populations of minnows and juvenile fish. The Craytin preys upon these small fish in much the same manner as the jellyfish - ensnaring them in its poisonous thread-like tentacles (11). The venom that the Craytin utilizes is a unique and potent and blend of neurotoxins and hemotoxins that can kill a small fish within seconds of injection. This venom is produced in the sacs that lie to either side of the 'head' of the Craytin, and is pumped to the tentacles via a large vein running the length of the Craytin's sail (10). The Craytin produces such large quantities of this highly potent venom that it is estimated that the life-time output of a single Craytin would be enough to eliminate the entire population of Madagascar.

The Craytin has developed a great degree of locomotion. It uses both its swimmerets (8) and its pectoral fins (6) combined with the flexing and contraction of its body to swim. The gills located on the 'head' of the Craytin (4) indicate that it must be in relatively constant movement to filter oxygen from the water. This is constitutes a large expenditure of energy, especially when compared to other venom-ed and tentacled marine creatures such as the jellyfish. As a result, the Craytin has also developed an extremely sophisticated method of predation, which is highly successful.

The Craytin's primary sensory organ is the horn-like structure protruding from its head (1). The filaments extending from this horn can detect the slightest changes in pressure, temperature, and direction of the water. When the Craytin detects prey within its vicinity, it will release large amounts of its neurotoxin out of the pores in its head (3) into the water, with the directionality of the current pushing this small cloud of neurotoxin towards the prey. All it takes is the ingestion of just a few molecules of this neurotoxin to slow the movement of a small fish. This allows the Craytin to swim around the fish, ensnaring it in the Craytin's tentacles. The Craytin uses its long sensory antennae (2) to aid in this maneuver.

Upone entanglement, the Craytin will then use its posterior and anterior maxillipeds (9,5) (appendages modified to assist in feeding) to transfer the food from the tentacles to the mouth, which is located on the underside of the Craytin (7).

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Goog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Adrian Nagorski

Concept: Ushima Roach

The Ushima Roach is the product of a combination of nuclear and bio-enginneering disasters. Growing several times bigger than the average human, these creatures have put man on the defensive.
    The green sacks at the base of its abdomen excretes liquid used to dissolve food, as well as lay eggs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

I'm from Lithuania, but currently schooling in Ireland
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Junior-artist

Concept: Desert-Sparewonder

"Desert Sparewonder" is a creature of Australian deserts. Desert Sparewonders are fascinating creatures because of their intelect and emotions. They can use their legs to grab on things and it helps to eat while carrying a huge tank of water on their backs and not letting it to slip off and end in hurting itself. Sparewonders have a huge skin extentions on theyr back hanging on all over their body and theyr tip of the tail. These skin extentions protect creature's body from dangerous sun radiation and they also help against mosquitoes. These creatures are like bicycles - they need to keep theyr balance all the time and that is why they have tails and huge dewlaps. Those dewlaps are also alternative water reserves for theyr own one's in case they lack of water. Sharing water is also a symbol of bond for Sparewonders but they do argue with each other sometimes and that is why they have huge bumps on they heads. Those bumps are also the only one weapon these creatures have for protection. They can predict any sand storm, that is going to happen, with theyr ears and sensible skin. Desert Sparewonders are highly emotional and smart creatures, capable of surviving anything that is in theyr way, even one of the biggest deserts in the world without any oasis or much of food.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Junior artist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lancer_idenoure

Concept: Spider-Gecko

The Spider-Gecko is actually neither spider nor gecko, but a medium-sized, 10-limbed repto-mammal that lives in dense forests. Preferring humid climates, the Spider-Gecko survives by climbing through the dense canopies it lives in, feeding on nectar and small insects.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Masked Man-Eater

The Masked Man-Eater is a rather small creature with an anatomy similar to that of a primate. They dwell deep in forests and marshlands, relying on a thick fog to camouflage them from other beasts. The Masked Man-Eater is highly prized for its lustrous golden fur and hide, though many who have sought to bring this creature back as a prize have instead met its paralyzing gaze, and finally, its fangs...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddcarp For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rob Powell

Concept: The Defacer

The top predator in the deserts of planet Anubi. They are pack hunters and rarely travel in groups with less than three individuals, their hunting methods are very similar to that of the lion. Unlike the lion they are armed with a squid-like mouth, once they got a hold of their prey their is no escape. Small knife like teeth will slice into the flesh creating a bloody mess. They will often target the head of their prey ripping into the face, and suffocating it. Seeing the faceless carcasses as you wonder through the desert gives you a chilling reminder of the dangers that lurk on the sandy plains.

Name:  the defacer.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  501.9 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Eclectix

Concept: High Plains Rock Dragon

The High Plains Rock Dragon is an enormous creature; a member of a race of dragon-like beings. These creatures awake for one season every decade to seek out a mate. While she sleeps the local people endow her with enormous precious stones and ornate carvings, hoping that when she awakes she will find favor with them and bring them prosperity.

Name:  COW242.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  464.3 KB

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eclectix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: Giant Fithe

Amongst the glowing patches of Hallofrezz Fungi one can easily find the lazy Giant Fithe. Moving very little, the Fithe will use its extensive arms to grasp clumps of fungus, devouring them to the point where its normally translucent sensory fibers will take on the glow of its food source. The Fithe will sit for days gorging itself. The poisonous nature of the fungus makes the Fithe an unfit meal for many of the larger predators of the ashlands, and its newly attained glow attracts Ittselflies to eat during the long nights. Once Hallofrezz Fungi are no longer in its extensive reach, the Fithe will slowly move to a fresh patch of Fungi.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is up. I'll try to get some crits up tomorrow.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round guys!!!!

Hard to pick a winner but i think personally in my humble opinion, Rob's Defacer is just epic. Some of you guys have some freak en tight rendering going like Si n lancer.
    Hope to see you all again next round!!!

Rob: watched blade 2 lately?? The vampire eaters in that film have a similar mouth for eating vampires. Liking the bright color and ground plane rendering, also the perspective is great, reminds me of a show room car!!! Great stuff!!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not gonna lie was hoping there'd be more entries. 8 seems like a small number for a freestyle round, especially a two week round. Though I guess more people were partying more than painting I guess.

My fav's this round were Goog, Lancer_idenoure, and Eclectix.

and some quick crits...

Goog: really cool creature man, and a very nice painterly style as well, liked how you incorporated the numerical diagram to help illustrate the creature's anatomy. Nice work man!

AdrianNagorski: An improvement from previous cow's, one thing that's bugging me is how the cloud overlaps the border, I think it throws the composition off a bit. Also I do think that the design could've been a bit more adventurous for this round. Not much else to add other than keep doing what your doing, mate!

Junior Artist: Interesting design, almast has a Dr. Suess look to it. I see a little bit too much use of the soft brushes here, the surfaces appear a little too smooth and unnatural looking. As lancer stated in the wips thread, the cast shadow needs some attention. Keep in mind where the light source is and where the light will show on the ground or not.

lancer_idenoure: Great concept man! Awesome rendering! A little more contrast between the creature and the background, everything is green apart from the tongue and flower, so the silhouette of the creature needs to show a bit more clearly! Either way it is an awesome entry, you got my vote! Great work!

Reddcarp: The biggest issue here is that there is not enought of the creature's anatomy showing. There are some rendering issues, as it seems a bit choppy in some places, there is a good atmospheric presence in this piece however. Some more variation in the values to improve the composition a bit as well.

Eclectix: Very cool work man! Very cool designs and intricate details on the creature's skin. I personally prefer if the background is painted rather than painted over, but seeing as this is focusing on the concept more than the illustration. I like the added background elements that were painted in, however, such as the twin peaked mountain in the back, really gives the piece more of that fantasy landscape that adds to the world the creature lives in. Overall looking at the image as is, it is very appealing. Good work mate!

Si_Swe: Nice job, some really good rendering on the creature, and a really neat design. I like the little shrimp-like forelimbs at the front of the creature. The colour palette seems a little bit familiar from your work however as it makes me think of your Maturation entry. Although the creature is different enough from it.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good work, my favourites are Goog, lancer and Si Swe.
    some thoughts on the creatures:
    Adrian Nagorski nice one, I liked the detail of the creature taking away an human in the distance. Like itīs been said before, Iīve would liked to see you taking a bit more risk on your design but i think you are improving on the execution, so congratulations and keep showing us more COWs!

Goog very nice creature, the designs looks creative and effective. As crit, iīd say it needs a bit more time on rendering (some parts look a bit roughly done) and maybe another color scheme to show an underwater creature placement.

Junior Artist, cool and weird creature, it took me e bit to discern the different parts. The description fits it perfectly, I liked the emotional part. Maybe the hump seems too much like an human seat. Original creature anyways!

lancer idenoure, one of the coolest creatures here, great rendering and good design. I think the middle little arms are maybe unnecessary, though. A complementary blue light on the dark side could have done wonders on it. Great work anyways!

Reddcarp the creature description is interesting, but I canīt see enough of its body... the visible parts and the atmosphere is cool though. Perhaps a more elaborate mask would have worked better.

Rob Powell cool design, the creature looks terrific and it has a strong predatory look. The head part is specially nice, love it. Maybe some parts like the scales in the arms and legs look a bit artificial, they need to complement better with the body.

Eclectix good mix between ornated/ceremonial statue and creature, the "artifact" look is very well achieved. The background execution is excellent, and makes good relationship with the creature. perhaps some more limbs/wings on the dragon?

Si Swe great one, seems you paid attention to every little part of the creature, resulting on a great and elaborate design. Really loved the "head", the little filaments and limbs in the bottom and the leg articulation. That, joined to the almost inmobile nature of the creature (we usually go with fast or very active ones) make me vote for you. As a crit, I think the shadow needs to improve where the feet meets the ground, and maybe the funghi need a bit more work (that is secondary though)

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some crits, so I can feel like a big man...

Goog I really, really like this design. I want to see the movie this creature is in. Outlandish yet realistic. The rendering is a bit unifinished in the body and the little shrimp-like appendages on the underside, and there are some slight perspective issues to my eye behind the head and on the two 'antennae'.

A note on underwater concepts: if this is concept art it might be a mistake to 'light' a creature to look like it is 'filmed' underwater. In my world concept art gets handed to sculptors and painters who aim to reproduce the concept. Goog's piece looks fine to me...just a thought.

AdrianNagorski Your piece has a great attitude, but the rendering is pretty rough. Also, an insectoid design like this really benefits from more distinguished segmentation. The values are pretty flat, and we're losing the beast a bit against the clouds.

Junior artist What a surreal piece! I really like the upturned claws...very unsettling. The rendering is way too soft, and the beast is almost uniformly smooth.

lancer idenoure Top-notch, pro-level rendering. I really like the head design. I'm not a fan of the limb design. I'd like the four upward-facing limbs if you didn't have the creature standing on a branch. The front limbs look very human, and the middle-lower limbs look completely extraneous. It would be nice to see more flowers in the environment, especially since the flower has colors very similar to the tongue. Beautiful surfaces.

Reddcarp Really nice values and emotional impact. In no way does it look like a maneater. The rendering seems a bit hasty. Not enough of the creature is shown.

Rob Powell Nice rendering and attention to detail. It looks like you're trying to fit human anatomy onto a quadraped. The detailing is a bit too uniform. I like the mouth, but the head is a bit stylized, with rope-like forms replacing bone and muscle. The hind legs are way short. That is a LOT of ribs, and they don't agree with the pespective of the pecs.

Eclectix I just gave a fairly thorough crit for you in the CC/Wip section.

Si_Swe Imaginative design. I like the head. the hindquarters don't look big enough to hold its weight. The abdomen looks really low, like it should be dragging on the ground, but your shading doesn't agree with that.Thre is a perspective issue with the glowing bits on the back. The values are really flat, especially in the lack of highlights.

Last edited by DPFX; January 5th, 2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Editing is fun.
    My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DPFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive done any crits for ages, so heres a few to balance the karma

Goog Very cool design man, and i like the anatomy sheet you did below, your concept is very well thought out. As an initial read its tough to tell what kind of environment this creature would live in, its hard to tell if its a sea creature or air born so some further elements in your concept which could tell abit more about the creature would be cool. Also, the rendering still feels abit loose so some more polished areas would help create areas of focal attention and push the design further.

AdrianNagorski Cool to see your pushing the c.o.w's again, and its clear to see your improving too, so well done for that. Keep working on those values and do lots of studies focusing on colour and values, and all that good stuff

Junior artist Interesting design and anatomy and your rendering style is prity cool too. Without reading the description its prity tough to tell what this creature does though. Its unclear in your design this creature is the one from your description. Theres also alot of white in this piece which is making it a little tough to read and clashing with your values. Some mixtures of texture in your creatures skin would be cool too. Hope to see your designs again dude in future c.o.ws, your piece has alot of potential, hope this crit helps.

lancer idenoure Very cool concept dude, i love that you did an illustration and in doing so showed your creature off to greater effect. The amount of detail here is prity amazing too, you must have the patience of a saint ;p My crit here is that you should push its face rendering further, perhaps some small wrinkles, pores or hairs or something, it would make the whole design pop and give your creature a sense of depth. Like you have done with the branch, which in the foeground is detailed but gets less so the further back it goes. Also abit more deatil on the eyes, because without them your creature looks abit blank.

Reddcarp Nice idea dude, this creature is prity creepy but cool regardless. Some more indication of anatomy would be nice, remember that this is a creature design, so perhaps a seperate sheet showing this creatures full body to beter show how it works would be cool. Also, you could push your illustration by adding more story telling elements, like those you put in the description. Like a figure in the foreground trying to collect its hair, while hidden fangs are about to strike. Also adding a figure would help give the viewer an indication of this creatures size.

Rob Powell Nice one again man, i like how your creature fits in perspective space and the crazy details which ive come to expect from you. I'd say the weakest part of the design are the front legs, where the sclaes look abit out of place and the anatomy seems almost human, especially with the pectoral muscles and collar bone. Solid entry anyways dude, i bet your portfolio is beginning to look prity awesome now ;D Keep it up dude.

Eclectrix Nice design man, love the grand and majestic vibes this beast gives off. Perhaps abit more tidying up with the rendering around the head and front feet could help push your design further, seeing as these are the focal points. Also, i think abit of atmospheric perspective would help sell the scale element of the creature more. Great concept regardless, got my vote

Si Swe Hey man, great to see more of your creatures. Its clear you've put alot of thought into your creatures idea, and its payed off in your design, which is very unique and creative. One possible thought would be to brighten or saturate the fungus in the foreground, which would make a focal line between fungus and creature, and further sell that these two elements are related. Alos, i know during the week you mentioned you wanted your creatures colours fairly muted, but abit of variation, perhaps some deeper reds in its legs and head would help sell the design further. Hope these help, and good job!

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As with Rob, I was also looking forward to more entries since this was a freestyle round with 2 weeks. Nonetheless there are some great entries. My favorites this round are Goog, lancer_idenoure, Rob Powell, and Si_Swe.

I very much appreciate all the valuable crits everyone is giving this round; here are my own:

Goog: Very believable, it almost looks like a real creature that could be found floating in the ocean. In the end the only reason it didn't get my vote is that it wasn't particularly dramatic, but it is a nice entry nonetheless.

Adrian Nagorski: A very creative concept. I'd suggest trying to work on shading principles; use darker values instead of darker colors to create shadows. Do keep at it!

Junior-artist: As others have already said, your soft brushes make the picture look fuzzy instead of sharp. Don't be afraid of the hard brushes. I like the veil-like tail, very original.

lancer_idenoure: This one got my vote. Very nice rendering, I like the markings on the creature and even the moss is excellent. I like that it feeds on flower nectar. It's not particularly exciting, but for an eyeless arboreal nectar feeder, perhaps being less exciting is a good thing.

Reddcarp: Like the others, I also like the values on this piece. The strokes seem a bit rough, and I wasn't convinced by the creature's face; if that is an actual mask, then I would like to see the creature's real face somehow. If it is meant to be an actual face that only looks like a mask, then it would be nice to see that the mouth is moveable, perhaps with mandibular creases/folds and some teeth? Some indication of eyes underneath might help too. I do hope you keep at it.

Rob Powell: Cool creature, I like the spade-shaped things on its face. This isn't your best rendered IMO; it looks like it is lit very softly, as on an overcast day. Some harder highlights would have made much more impact I think. The creature is a keeper for sure.

Si_Swe: A very creative creature concept, I think this one has a lot going for it. It suffers from a similar problem to Rob's though in that the lighting looks washed-out. Some harder highlights could have helped, or maybe a darker background and harder glow on the luminous parts to show that lighting is dim?

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eclectix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si_Swe totally did it for me! voted for his creature. You are improving man!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2