Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Need advice and critique

Hello.

I'm trying to draw some fantasy and sci-fi art. Drawing for me is just a hobby, still I'd like to improve my skills and style.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by HochSpannung; December 4th, 2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: sized-down the pics
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I like it it has a unique style to it. I would bring out the highlights more, to me it seems the tone you have the lightest is the mid-tone. Also uniting the background colors onto the dragon in the lighting will also marry the two together. You have nice and dark shadows on the body but no the face? You could bring those dark shadows into the face as his face is pointed toward the camera, from my understanding it would be darker looking at the background.
    Hope this helps =)

Thanks
    your scalles look to much like a wireframe because they don't have shadingand there there flat and personnaly i don't really like the head looks a bit like a cat but then again that's personnall taste don't known what your intension was

Every critique helps me to get on step closer towards my dream so feel free to
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    First and foremost, make your images smaller. My monitor is pretty big and yet even I had to scroll to look at them, which is not good.

The scales are not a problem at all actually. It's quite refreshing to see a more crocodillian skin on a dragon as opposed to the plates and fish-like scales you see around so much. You also varied them in size very well, and the feline head is obviously just a matter of taste. Most of the crits I have are on structure/proportion and the pose, as explained in my redlines. I actually need to hurry up and leave now so I hope it's clear and that you can read my handwriting, heh!

Need advice and critique

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lhune,
    Thanks for the scheme! It's clear what I should do. I'll post the pencil draft as soon as I have time.

Also I'd like to ask you what would be the optimal neck-to-body length ratio?

Last edited by HochSpannung; December 22nd, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks
    The perspective and the flow of the wings are awkward. Also, limit the amount of detailed scales. The scale of the farther wing shouldn't as detailed as the closest one.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    The perspective and the flow of the wings are awkward. Also, limit the amount of detailed scales. The scale of the farther wing shouldn't as detailed as the closest one.
    Oh, yes the wings are screwed-up, I'll try to do better on them. Wings are the hardest part to draw properly for me. And thanks for the scales tip, I'll try that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HochSpannung View Post
    Lhune,
    Thanks for the scheme! It's clear what I should do. I'll post the pencil draft as soon as I have time.

Also I'd like to ask you what would be the optimal neck-to-body length ratio?
    You're welcome .

There isn't really a rule for that, although I wouldn't make the neck longer than the body length (minus the tail) myself. There are more things to consider than just length though; a very long neck will likely not be very thick, and the size of the neck will also largely determine how it is held by default. A long neck is often held much more upright than a short one. Again I'd advise you to look at birds (and dinosaurs) for reference.

Thanks
    Here's my take on fully-digital drawing. It's going to be a dragon perching on a telegraph pole.

Done with the pole and wires so far.

The first pic is a basic sketch, the second is the pole without the dragon.

Thanks
    The textures are very well done but the pole especially isn't very convincing. Why did you shade it towards the edges? There's no reason to do that, light is coming from all sides, if anything it should be lighter around the edges.

I'm also not too sure about that top side, I don't think we should be seeing so much of it considering that we're looking up at it.

Thanks
    I've looked up some more poles photos and it turns out I was wrong about the shading. The pole must be shaded much less and only towards it's right edge in my case so I'll redo that. As for the topside, I've seen some old poles with their tops sewn off in a manner of a very pointy roof so I've tried to imitate this.

I'd like to ask wether the wood texture is alright or should I rework it? Old wood is pretty challenging for me to imitate.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhune View Post
    The textures are very well done but the pole especially isn't very convincing. Why did you shade it towards the edges? There's no reason to do that, light is coming from all sides, if anything it should be lighter around the edges.
    Thanks for the tips, I'll have this in mind.

Now I've another question. I've drawn a new sketch of Smaug basing it on your suggestions but I'm screwing up the wings. So I've decided to post this raw scetch before I screw it "beyond repair". How should the wings be drawn correctly if the viewpoint is positioned as in the second picture.

Sorry for the picture quality, I had to photograph it in order not to disband the staples fixing the sheets.

Thanks
    Need advice and critique

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.