wip.. learning

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: wip.. learning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip.. learning

alo, been following this forum for awhile now, but without any art of my own to post, as i didnt have a tablet. that changed with my last birthday (yay) and ive been screwing with it for the last few days now. heres somethin i started tonight;

wip.. learning

im completely lost on coloring/shading/lighting and all that riffraff, but ill try to color this piece anyhow. would really appreciate crits, i REALLY admire some of the pieces here and id like to get to that kinda skill level =D so if you have any crits, dont hesitate.

thanks

>:-0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a nice concept... makes it more disturbing that you even rendered him smiling. At least... that's how I interpret it.

It just looks somewhat flat and I think one of the reasons for this is your line width.... it's the same weight almost everywhere.

His body in particular... the lines seem too sketchy so the contours aren't clear. If you're going to be sketchy I suggest using a light underdrawing in a different color and then placing the black on top. THat way your contours will be more confident. You can delete the underdrawing later.

All just my opinion though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

=/

thanks for the tips man, i tried to clean up the line width and the body in this one.. and took a couple minutes to try my hand at coloring.. which, much to my dismay, i completely SUCK at.

i think youre right about it looking pretty plain though. some of it might be the pose (or lack of pose). i tried varying the line width a bit but i think it still looks pretty boring. maybe the variation in line widths isnt drastic enough, or maybe im just not doing it right.

wip.. learning

anyhow im going to scour the internet for shading/highlighting tutorials before i attempt to paint the rest of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn put a bra or a tube top on that boy or something. He's got a serios case of "man-titties" going on there!

Be aware of shapes when your adding value to your colors. Everything is a shape. What shape are his man-boobies supposed to be? Then add value's to that shape.

Al Ian
    He said "Donkey Fart"
    http://jmarkey77.home.bresnan.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i only really only noticed he had manboobs when i was trying to add a little more detail to his muscle, and i drew a line up the middle inbetween his pecs. good LORD it looked like he had grandma boobs.. i think theyre way too low or something. it looks a little better in a more recent attempt but.. i think im getting the hang of shading.. i read a few articles on WHY light creates highlights and shadows, what makes it happen, etc. i think youd call all that 'lighting theory'. that kinda stuff seems to be helping me alot more than the traditional burn/dodge tutorials. heres an update

wip.. learning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks much better!! No more man-boobs! Keep it up

Al Ian
    He said "Donkey Fart"
    http://jmarkey77.home.bresnan.net

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.