Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Love your gnomon entry, did you see the one with the river/vertical landscape on the horizontal landscape, that one is sick as well.

SO which dvd's are you gonna pick? i was wondering this seeing as your at such a high skill
    level. LOL curiosity. . . .sorry . . . .

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianNagorski View Post
    Love your gnomon entry, did you see the one with the river/vertical landscape on the horizontal landscape, that one is sick as well.

SO which dvd's are you gonna pick? i was wondering this seeing as your at such a high skill
    level. LOL curiosity. . . .sorry . . . .
    Thanks! Unfortunately I didn't win this month. I thought I had a good chance too, but you never know how the judges will react. There are a lot of great Gnomon dvd's I would like, many in the 3D and game art field. I highly recommend the series by Iain McCaig, which I have watched and rewatched many times. Also there are many good DvD's on the general foundations such as color, light, anatomy, and composition.

--------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lane. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hopper Mech concept.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lane. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Nice, cant wait to see that in action, i love a giant legged machine thingy!
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey hard luck with the gnomon contest, but with the quality of work you have, I'm sure you'll win eventually. Just one crit before any questions - I think the hind-legs and the body of the Hopper Mech are not in the same perspective.

Other than that, I find your work simply stunning. You have a strong sense of colour harmony, and I find that I can learn a lot from just looking through your sketchbook.

Since you encouraged another member to ask questions, I have one I want to ask you. I see you use a lot of negative spaces to offset shapes. Its is nowhere more evident than the large expanse of red in your gnomon entry. Do you lay down these spaces right at the composition stage, or do you create them as you lay down shapes during painting? I guess, in a roundabout way, I'm asking how and when you compose your images.

I hope that question doesn't sound as vague to you as it does to me.
    Sketchbooks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vritra-
    Thanks for pointing that perspective issue out. I can see it is a bit wonky now.

I'm not very consistent, at least as far as my process and composition strategy. I actually think working digitally has made me a bit indecisive in that regard. If you look at some of my process GIF animations, you can see the different places where I added more canvas space to the image, completely altering the composition half-way through. Rarely do I have a clear idea of a composition from the start. That may very well be to my detriment, but I find myself getting bored of an image when the path is set in stone.

Mainly I keep the Rule of Thirds in mind, as a generally pleasing layout for important details. Try to have a pleasing balance of positive vs negative space, in a way that leads the eye into and around the image. I leave the rest to instinct.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lane. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome sketches and beautiful colors! What is the time you so learned to draw?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Step For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff, as everybody here I love your colors and compositions. Keep rocking!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom van der Linden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yet another sketchbook that kills the hope and feeds the motivation.
    you're only 1 year older than me,
    respect to your work. i'll have a look into this SB from time to time.
    but it would be interesting to see your progress from the beginning. your sb already starts at such a pro level.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lux_Aeterna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is a very impressive sketchbook. Love the brushstrokes and use of colour.
    I really like the step-by-step environments.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mila For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow, wonderful paintings, for the moment my favorite is the blind follower, great piece! keep on sharing!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to -D_art- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The hopper mech looks great. I love the simplicity of it, and the giant cricket legs are marvelous.

The only critique I have is from a design perspective: Since so much of the craft's weight (the bulky section around the pilot, for instance) is concentrated in the front, it might work a little better if the front legs were somewhat bulkier or had larger "feet." That would help to distribute the weight more and absorb the shock on the cockpit when it lands after a hop. But that could just be me overthinking things <<;

All in all, it's a great piece and a really cool design.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Meps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lane, you are great. The grapes are perfect. What brushes were you using for that? I wanna try to recreate the style.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Romzhke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks all!
    Meps- Thank you, that's a good point!
    Romzhke- I used a custom brush in the shape of a square, with a lot of soft texture. Easy to make, just play around with the brush controls.
    ---

Defend Your Nuts
    The bandits had long sought to steal the great swordsman's nuts. The nuts were so grand, in both size and luster, they became famous even beyond the grove. In a forest full of dry and shriveled nuts, they were truly a sight to behold. As individuals, the thieves always failed to lay hand on them. The Blade Master was far too swift, too keen and alert. Now, as Winter nears, the bandits have joined together in a desperate attempt to obtain the precious nuts.
    Last edited by Lane.; April 26th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lane. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Way to beautiful, the last one is a master piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iain McCaig is a great story teller, his art is great as well its a good choice.
    LOL my entry was a long shot but i was surprised that you weren't picked to be honest.
    any way keep blowing every one away!!!!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast