Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spartan Camp #206 - 50 gestures + Optional "Christmas Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #206 - 50 gestures + Optional "Christmas Study"

Spartan Camp #206 - 50 gestures + Optional "Christmas Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 25th of February.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Christmas Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The background

We've had some tough optional studies the last couple of weeks. This week it's time for some relief. Even Spartans have to rest every now and then.. After all- the deadline is on Christmas!

The exercise
    Any study relating to Christmas, up to you. Study some reindeer, add some Santa's to your gestures, perform a Christmas bauble still-life, delve into elf anatomy, do a master study of any Christmas-related piece of art, or anything else you can come up with.
    Have some fun, and happy holidays!

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #205

Guardian G.I.
    Talis
    Little-Maiden
    AdrianNagorski
    zy.
    Vertical
    Obacmar
    shiNIN
    RomanDavis
    ashess
    SmallPoly
    Forgemaster
    MrChow
    do9
    Azimuth

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad I have no pics yet but I wished to post. It's GREAT to see so zillion participants and extra many stars. My memory isn't the greatest but I don't remember such a massive number of stars in Spartan Camp history!
    I hope I will be more active this week (I'm serious)!
    I dig the optional, it's something totally new. But wait. Should the characters themselves be reindeers, elves, Santa, whatnot or some people doing some Christmas related stuff will do too?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gestures of a group of carolers or putting up lights or loading a christmas tree, or lighting a menorah, all could be great practice and certainly has some great applications in future designs or illustrations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,
    I wrote this super long response to the last round only to realize that I was too late . I decided to post it here but if I shouldn't just let me know and I will clear it all out. I am new to both this forum and this activity so if I am doing something wrong please let me know. I'm just trying to learn to draw as well as I can and I would like to join this spartan camp and become awesome! I'm glad I found a community like this I am sorry if my critiques are not very good, but I will try my best. I apologize in advance for being super super long winded, and I hope I am not too late to get in on this

Critiques from last round:
    Guardian G.I.: These are looking pretty good. One thing that helped me with gestures is starting with one sweeping line to describe the whole movement in a very basic way. Maybe give it a try. I also get the impression that you are pressing very hard on the paper. Is this true? Maybe try more varied pressure.

Talis: If you keep going to classes with a live model you will improve quickly! I like the way you use the charcoal to suggest form. Your pen ones are a little more successful, and I think it is because they are more clear.

Little-Maiden: OOOOOOO pretty! These really have a great sense of movement. I think I am going to try drawing boxes also. Your more finished pieces are quite lovely. I especially like the expression in the butchers face.

AdrianNagorski: I love the looseness you are achieving. All I can really suggest is MORE MORE MORE! Also watch your line quality. You get much better with it toward the bottom of the page. Try to be more sweeping and deliberate with your strokes. Also, great work on the Vilppu. His book was tremendously helpful to me also.

zy.: I loooove those feet. It is a tough angle and I think you pulled it off pretty well. Try using a harder brush!

Vertical: I very much prefer your drawings from imagination. They are so dynamic, and some of them have a great sense of visual comedy. Did you spend more time on them? Same with your blue on orange set. The imagination ones are waaaay better.

Obacmar: I think you are getting some pretty nice line quality! The reworked set and the Bridgeman are awesome. The facial features you did are great, especially the eyes. It is amazing that you manage to communicate a facial expression with one eyeball haha. Major LOL at your last set.

shiNIN: I actually have no critique for you, but I learned something from looking at your posts and your critiques of others so thank you!

RomanDavis: Some of these are really successful and others are looking a little bit stiff. I wish I could be more specific about which ones. Anyway it looks like you are thinking of them more as a combination of parts rather than one flowing movement. Perhaps try doing longer more flowing lines to start out, before you add your outlines.

ashess: Awesome cat gif Watch your line quality on the baby faces.

SmallPoly: Some of these are really terrifying but also some incredibly compelling. I like the style they are done in. Sorry for lack of any real critique.

Forgemaster: I wish it was all a little bit bigger, but from what I can see you are rocking it so keep up the good work.

MrChow: Wow, these are really great. I don't have a crit for you but I definitely learned something from the way you construct and simplify your figures, so thank you for posting.

Azimuth: These are nice, but some are a little stiff. Try doing one or two sweeping gesture lines before you put in your outlines, and try to have your outlines harmonize with the gesture.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @MR. Chow I posted a more detailed reasoning to my crit of your gestures in the previous thread, in my last post there. (Just in case you didn't see it) . Hope it is of some use to you!

----

Well Ill be first to post drawings then.

26 Legs + a page of anatomy and such from Bridgeman's drawing from life. Sorry about the photo quality, I tried adjusting the levels to make the lines clearer. I couldnt scan, I was working on an A3 Canson all-purpose drawing pad thats too large for my crappy scanner/printer. This Camp shall be all traditional for me- except the Christmas study, id like to do digital there!

**I'll try to work up the courage and upload my traditional gestures (they really suck, digital gestures are miles easier for me), so ill split whatever gestures i post into 50/50 traditonal/digital.

Engage!

Last edited by Little-Maiden; December 19th, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LM: oooo sexy legs there i see, nice tho i would like to see more
    angles and peculiar/dramatic motion sort of positions of the legs, great work
    looking forward to whatever else you'll post.

so just a few facial scribbles:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

halfway or something!

Hi there, wow what a huge list of competitors. Soon there might be 300 spartans, and we can start a war!!! awesome!

LM: Nice legs mate, very clean lines, no comments actually..

Adrian: The sad face in de right middle is very expressive for me. I`m waiting for some more worked out ones, some have a lot of potential and if polished well can be very expressive I think.

So, for me I tried to do something else this time. Instead of working a whole pose on one drawing, I tried to catch the movement in between the poses she did (it was a bellydancer) and in between each pose she danced into a new pose. I tried to capture those moments. Really hard, but so fun I got often driven off and got alot of gestures from my mind this time. First time I draw from imagination! It felt awesome!

Also some pen character sketches I made in the train yesterday.

Cheers!

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the first bunch of drawings.
    Nice job with those leg studies, Little-Maiden!

Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more scribbles today.
    i really should comment + critique every one, gotta a very busy weekend coming up
    first time in my life im working over the Christmas weekend!!!!!!?
    so i'll try draw more before then,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little-Maiden: You are way too self-critical, worse than me, it's an extremely serious case then. The legs look good.

I'm in a tiny crisis, I wanna draw so much and I can't, I won't copy, I need to understand things but they are still hard Besides, it's cold, I moved out of my room but it's cold here as well, I'm constantly in the verge of having a cold and my sleeping pattern is still f&*cked up and it always lead to a lazy day. So I'm quite pitiful, I was so cheeky and optimistic to say things about being Little-Maiden's rival.
    Today I will try really, really hard, okay?
    (I do have some figures but they are refd from others's sb and I don't want to post them)

But to show something, I did some weird stuff, maybe one day this method gives some decent gestures Sorry (still better than brainless copywork I think. I really need loose, playful, doodle-like things)
    I meant WHAT I see, not WHY.

goodnight, it's almost 3am here. I'll be back tomorrow.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On my phone so not uploading yesterday's gestures yet.
    Some quick critz- little maiden: stop saying your stuff sucks; even if yiu think so yourself. You're way past the point where everyone is better then you; its hurtfull to people who feel they have less skill. At any rate, critizising you own work should never be done right after you made it. Give every piece a few weeks to digest, the look at about a month's work with a cup of thea, preferably together with an interested friend. That way, you'll be fairer to yourself.

Talis- I love that your doing live model! Something's not working with the charcoal though. It should be the easiest of your tools. Check that the board you are working on is nice and smooth, then place 1-3 pieces of paper on it before fixing the paper you're going to work on. Having a good underground will render smoother lines and make work a lot easier.

Shinin- you have GOT yourself an imagination there! Whats with the chipmunks on the mind?

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xmas studies hmm mby ill do a page of fat guys to make up for the variation week and they can all have santa hats!

For today at least its sexy ladies

i should really harden up and start drawing on imagination, or real life try and keep up with you lot. Plus im starting to recognise the photos on those image randomisers

talis that guy thumping the ground is really cool, from imagination?

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    azi- ye they are sexy!

some old ppl from yesterday
    Name:  menn.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  69.6 KB
    my husband playing
    Name:  janlaying.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  180.3 KB
    and some imaginary pieces.. somethings wrong w the guy's neck/shoulders for sure. anybody any ideas?
    Name:  Untitled-1n.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  52.7 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

holliday rant!

Oh hello
    Geeeeeshhh the holidays sure do kill the drawing abilities. I feel like I'm deep in the valley of the suck. Gotta power through draw everyday. In the past this would be the point which I would stop drawing and move to another medium ie 3D modeling, photo manipulation. BUT NO not this time! I want to get better @ drawing. Yeah those look like symbols ShNIN, I dont know if I like them but whatever you probably get something from the exercise. Nice legs Maiden very Anthis like. You two are the rivals I see it ..Who is my rival??
    gawd ! I wanna draw like Mr Chow . Did you guys see that sht? Nice strokes, and the animals had so much form, presence, depth, action all in one. blah blah blahh.
    Adrian I don't think I agree with you regarding the thinner lines. Man I want eat your brains and gain your imagination. Talis the proportions on allot of your stuff is really off but that's cool because I can see style and I like that... Yah know I had a teacher tell me once "Drop your style or you'll never get better" man that's stuck in my head.. I'm determined to prove him wrong. Azimuth # 5, & 6 are the keepers for me.

Happi Hollidaes every one... enjoi my xmas card (thats me.....no, not the santa )

Oh Ashess you posted while I was writing this super long boring rant. Yeah The Old people are nice gestural and the top DJ Dad is great. The rest look hesitant and sketchy. I have the same problem where I have multiple lines all the same weight doing the same thing.

Last edited by Obacmar; December 21st, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
    - [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: Concerning the imaginary guy: the right arm (from the viewer's perspective) appears to be attached to the guy's neck — as a result, he has only one shoulder. Furthermore, the foreshortened leg (the raised one) appears to be shorter than the other one.

Obacmar: The shaded head looks very nice! Also, thanks a lot for posting a link to that video, it was really motivating.

More gestures. I've also tried drawing gestures from life. Turns out I've completely forgotten about the existence of a very important thing — the skeleton, that's why all my stuff look so wrong. The next subject for studying has been set.

47 out of 50 done, if anyone cares.

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; December 21st, 2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Obacmar's post
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys are FAST this week.

I also have quite a few. Most of them are slightly rushed though, I think I should take a bit more time and draw more carefully.
    Either way, added descriptions.

These were from last week actually, didn't get to post. Imagination.

I was really inspired by MrChow's gestures last week, tried the same approach (posemaniacs)

Same as last couple, MrChow's technique but from imagination.

Referenced, from this place with nude models. The one on the right is with charcoal pencil; bit of an experiment for me.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: What chipmunks? Imagination... I always had a problem I have a tiny one but it's much bigger if I have some crutch, even if it's just some random scribble I need to play like this more.
    I like the first two old man's face and the imaginary gal. Sexy derriere

Azimuth: Good idea, go for it! Hm, imagination_ Maybe you are ready, I almost never did that during the years but even if I did, it was crap, memorizing stuff is so damn hard to me Mmm, you drew a few sexy legs there, with nice flowy strokes.
    {I start to feel inferior to everyone.}

Obacmar: Oh, I don't quite like them either, it's okay. I just hope they will have some usefulness, well they took little time and they provided some fun and I really need to be loose so I guess it's okay
    About Mr. Chow's stuff: yep, I was stick with the 'damn another one way better than me arrived, not like it matters' thought. Nice clean stuff, a bit technical-looking straight but very clean and tidy.
    About your offering Nice, nice, it's always good to see Loomis heads and Bridgman legs. And your skeleton stickmen ofcoz I took a liking to them, don't stop drawing them.

Another bunch of weirdness, I try not to bring more, okay?

I really, really, really try to figure out the most basical stuff about drawing gals, where to curve or break line or anything, it's not easy even if I know about the underlying bone and muscle structure.
    Aside from some 'heavily based on someone else's drawing' figures, this single boring contrapost one is what I did. It was hard enough.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN; I read last week you saw Haibane Renmei; I happen to like that one a great deal as well. And as you said, we had a great week. Don't take the optional too serious- it's just for fun. Next week will be a true spartan training again! Nice exercise there. I think many people actually use that to come up with new shapes. Your brush might not be the best for that purpose though. Seems more suitable for adding localized grain of some sort.
    Those last couple figures are nice by the way. You gave yourself loads of room for the smaller anatomical details. Solid stuff.

Little-Maiden; Very nice legs! Clean too. I'd say the ones with actual pelvises are strongest, which is not surprising. The ones without pelvises seem less grounded and don't have much weight. When you gave the pelvis more thought, they seem more confident and solid. At least, that's how they look to me. I think you can handle the foreshortening - go for it! Lovely post! Since Obacmar has compared our poses and I feel that yours are stronger, I'll need to come up with something good next week!

AdrianNagorski; Nice faces! Trying loads of different things, lots of variation in there. I think you're sometimes confining yourself to a head that is too small, leaving too little room for facial features. Allow yourself some space! Scribbles are always fun to watch, is that Kim Jong?

Talis; I think that's a great thought. You shouldn't have to draw every detail, after all- that's not what gesture drawing is about. You want to get the core movement right. "Capture the moment" as you described it.
    I've always loved the gestures in this gallery. I think his approach is similar, although he strictly seems to draw what he sees, following the shapes. Fun pen sketches - always a joy to look at. With added college notes?

Guardian G.I.; Great stuff from life. Finding an opportunity for that can be tough. Important realization too! haha. Skeleton shouldn't be forgotten. Don't need to know everything, but some stuff is invaluable. Like general shape of head/chest/pelvis, and where the limbs connect and how much movement is allowed between them. It's a solid basis. Looking forward to what you come up with!

Azimuth; Nice going on these. Remember the legs don't connect to the bottom of the pelvis, but somewhat sideways. Or at least, the femur does. Doing nice on those calves/lower legs- I can recognize how you considered the shape of those muscles. Try not to shy away from faces (I often do so, can become a handycap!)

ashess; Old people don't run away and stay still! You did a great job on neck/head placement in those. Very typical hunched over look. Still, its not strange to struggle with the shoulders in that imaginary piece- that's a tough pose! One problem is that you've put a really strong bend in the ribcage. Considering we see the lower back as well as the top of his chest... Especially that part right behind his neck seems crooked rather than bent. Pose on the right is pretty nice. Though standing like that, you'd expect the right hip to be at a higher level (right leg is bearing the weight!). Unless the left leg is resting on something invisible you didn't draw.

Obacmar; Hah, that's a bit embarassing, as Little-Maiden's legs are a lot cleaner. I'll take revenge next week. Nice link by the way, thats a very good view on studying. Focus on being able to do something.
    Nice job on the heads, I'd recognize Loomis straight from a mile away by that portrait in the bottom right. That typical style! You're doing nice on these. You seem to lose some control when you go for the 'final', darker lines. Or perhaps not control, more like 'feeling'. Something I struggle with as well when going digital. Love the x-mas card!

Forgot these. Today, imagination. Tiny bit better than my last couple. When I try to go smooth... and I lose liveliness. When I go for liveliness, I get messy. Gah

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis: You are totally right, it was a silly idea to use this brush but it still was funny But I see too many details if I use this... I'll use other brushes and if it will have anything to do with gestures, I will put them here

Oh I dislike this (showing stuff based on someone's drawings... I hope it's okay if I give credits...) but but but it's my effortful way, even if these aren't totally my own but I barely looked at the refs in the very beginning and that refs weren't the originals but my not-copied-just-refd own sketches in my paper sb. But I used my still kinda fresh memory when I did those. When I use someone's drawings for hours (I choose ones I love and find very inspiring, of course), I got the hang of it, it's cool, maybe I never will forget a few little things, I just recently started this. And even if I forget something, I try to do it by myself. Yay.

maeharrington has a cool sb here in CA, packed with simply flowy sexyness. I love the pencil sketches and the tidy digital ones, often made with just a few strokes.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis: yes it is!! Very nice and clean gestures, how do you do that???? i also liked MrChow's style last week, i've been trying to incorpirate Glen Villpu's style for
    gesturing its really touch and go-ish LOL recommend any body?

Talis: sorry what paints are you using, is that water colour? I would/think acrylics are easier and better to start with first?
    interesting gestures, i would recommend slowing down and maybe pencilling them in first before using paint, non the less very nice
    attempts

Guardian G.I.: definiet improvement from last week.what your proportions, grids help, i try to use them coz my proportions suck!! Spend more time like five minutes on one gesture
    30-60sec is just to get a flow/spine line in, dont be affair to erase and begin all over again because your erased previous attempt actually helps as a huge guide and you
    see more mistakes when drawing it 2-3times over and over and you learn more?!

shiNIN: those imaginary images remind me of Nick Puck, he would scribble random shapes, then create something from them, even using his left had to jam anything
    random down just to get the mind free from cliches and exploring new shapes. and i mean he would spend and hour scribbling random sh*t, then suddenly pic the best few and
    create wild original things, so i think your touching upon something pretty cool with out even knowing.?!

AzimuthL: thats a nice set, liking the flow of some of your lines, yeah every one uses those sites LOL

ashess: using lines to represent value reminds me of something David Finch does, basically called line weight, the thinner the line thesharper the curve away from you
    the thicker the line the closer the curve moves towards the viewer, the guy drawing asterix is a master at that, basic color value less, but the lines give the shape and dimention
    seems to me you are working towards that but probably with/making it your own style like prefecting your own technique?

Obacmar: God knows man if i could actually put down on paper what i see in my head I'd put Feng Zhu out of buisness LOL maybe . . .
    yeah the lines you posted with that fat spiderman where a bit to thivk or maybe i was just nik picking??
    was that Loomis heads?? very nice, i should so some more of his stuff for a change. Is that a real pic of you and Santa? LOL funny.

Time for a break might do some animal studies in a few hours, relaxing today . .
    Might not have time to do more this week coz of work
    Merry Christmas every one!!! Will lurk in the coming days as always LOL

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sexy boys!

Sourced these off a youtube video i tried to ad lib a bit since sometimes the legs were cut off. The the santa hats look real stupid i know but it gave me a laugh. Spent way longer than intended on this its alot later than i thought id be after one page

Im not up for critiquing right now, feel id be simply burbling compliments which makes me end up feeling really awkward

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adrian: It seems you are getting better. Your figures seem 3 dimensional

I was busy and sleep deprived today, almost nothing yet, just these very quick ones.
    When I don't keep my .psd, things like this happen. Even high quality jpegs has problems with bright red. The original looked waaaaaaaay better, my stuff needed the extra visual beauty the colors gave but jpeg ruined it On the gals, the other one is okay.
    I totally reuse the gals I drew lately, changing them here and there.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uuuh. sorry critting tomorrow. its way my bedtime, and I worked on this all evening.
    and its no way done yet!

>>mah tumbr

43. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AdrianNagorski: Do you know how to use grids when drawing gestures? I don't know how that's supposed to be done. Grids, as far as I know, are used only if someone needs to copy something precisely.

Some more life drawings (I do these sketches during lessons at school), and a study from Michael Hampton's "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention".
    I'm going to try doing studies similar to the recent ones done by Anthis later.

Sketchbook

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adrian: I forgot to _reply_ last time, I just said something else
    Oh I know it's a good technique, someone in an often linked thread talked about how a concept artist should come up interesting heads instead of just "oval thing - quide lines" generic stuff. And I'm sure I met this method elsewhere too. It's just I rarely used it. But I LOVE it! It's totally for me who needs some guidance, dislike to grab someone's creative stuff and rework it, it's a good study but doesn't feel as quite right, well it depends how much it's based on the other stuff I guess - but easily saw wizards, creatures and faces in the old boring ugly bathroom tiles as a kid...

ahsess: Yay! It seems you got the hang of it The cat was nice too but it's even more impressive (especially because it's a human). I wish to do an animation too. I did a few in my life, simple ones, mind you, but I usually chicken out of doing it, seems too troublesome. I tend to consider things more difficult they are Not mentioning my huge lazyness.
    I'm looking forward to more animation from you in the future

I overpainted my figures (what brush I used last time I wonder it was better) and used PNG this time... I lost some artistic mess but maybe these has some good points too. They are simpler and quicker. And I changed the gestures, I can't help it. Back then, in the school, when we was supposed to write our essays clean and nice, I was, well, messy, you know me I started write with no idea what the next word will be... Then I was ready and tried to copy my stuff, the words already were there, I just had to copy them. Oh, I changed the second sentence if not the first one, forgot the first paper and created another messy but pretty different text. That's why it's good for me repeating things, not just hammering it into my memory (is it such an expression? well I guess everyone understands *shrugs*). I change things. I play with them. Disassemble and assemble. Explore and try out things. Being a playful kid is a best I can do when I try to create some art. My inner self likes to play. Needs joy. Dislikes discipline and too many rules.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN:

good points, for heads - i like cartooning stuff like that.
    here is who i was talking about earlier, his name is actually Nick Pugh, misspelt it earlier.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...lity-in-Design

Guardian G.I:

you where basically doing it with your last post! LOL even tho its a skeletal grid pattern
    there are many ways i tried to show you in this post with my imaginary ones label A,B,C
    really rushed tho, Loomis + Bridgman have great examples in the first few pages of there books.
    also bottom right i used more of a centre line to draw around, like i said many methods its just
    which every one your comfturbale the most with i guess.

ashess:

loving your gifs? seriously which program is that? its a good visualization of your drawings.
    i know there is tons of freeware gif program around, also photoshop can do that for you??

so a bit rushed today tried to squeeze in a few extra sketches, a photo study
    trying to use 100% opacity and guessing color also instead of using lines for edges rather using color like real painters for a change very hard indeed coz i got no freaken idea what im doing!!!!! + random brain things

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashess
    LM: stop saying your stuff sucks; even if yiu think so yourself. You're way past the point where everyone is better then you; its hurtfull to people who feel they have less skill. At any rate, critizising you own work should never be done right after you made it. Give every piece a few weeks to digest, the look at about a month's work with a cup of thea, preferably together with an interested friend. That way, you'll be fairer to yourself.
    @Ashess "sucks" is a relative term, for someone just beginning to draw my work might appear great, but you can still see a vast difference between me, and someone like Mr. Chow for example, and if you want, you can find people who surpass Mr. Chow, and so on to the top.
    If I say my work sucks its only in comparison to those above me, and not meant to hurt or dissuade others who consider themselves "beneath" me in skill. Besides, kicking myself and comparing to the mountain of awesome is one way I keep drawing, because I want to be on that mountain of awesome, not at the bottom looking up. Not everyone is better than me, but the point is that there are plenty who are better than me, and until im drawing well enough to be considered a professional, i'll never stop beating my work, and I expect everyone else to beat on it too. No pain, no gain.

Although you have touched on an issue here that can be discussed at length. Its never good to be so negative as to end up hating what you do. If I don't like something, I don't like it, but I cast it off. Think of it like a swordsmith tempering a fine blade. You might go through thousands of malformed blades in order to create the finest. I accept flaws as part of the process, and everyone learning to draw should as well. Don't hang yourself up on one drawing, its all it is, a drawing, one more to cast off in order to become great. Also, as an amateur artist, one should never ever compare oneself to those of similar level or below. Always compare to what is considered professional and great, and strive to match and overcome it. So yeah, guess the point is that those of less skill shouldn't be hurt if someone they consider having more skill is passing their work off as subpar. Its always relative. Even masters compared themselves to those they considered above themselves.

Regarding your animated study:

I understand its not completed yet, but I think your previous animation attempts were more flowy, but ofc, they were simpler, this one is a fairly complex action so its certainly well done.

Although I think the breasts of the figure should demonstrate more action? more bouncy? They seem fairly static through out the frames, the same can be said for the knees, and thighs. The jump motion can be seen, but it doesn't feel like hes actually landing with force. In a jump like that the knees would bend and show alot more impact in order to distribute the force evenly.

@Obacmar:
    I'm not sure I can consider anthis my rival just yet, though i'm flattered by the notion that he is!

@Anthis:
    Thanks for the crit regarding adding the pelvis, you are right, having the pelvis does certainly give more weight to the legs, otherwise it just seems like they're disconnected limbs or something. Nonetheless I used a 3H to lay down the initial leg shape and then darkened with a 2B drafting pencil. I wanted to study the overlapping lines of the silhouette in order to show volume with contour lines. I think it was a fairly successful set of studies. They were all ref'd though, so I'll need to do a few from imagination in order to truly be able to say that I've matched you this week .

@ShiNIN Christmas coloured studies? The pink needs to be brighter! I can say one thing though, the "sexy" stance for the girls you drew is actually not that easy to draw. I have similar problems in the relating the relationship between ribcage and pelvis. I think the shoulders should be more aligned with the illiac crest more. They're very static land marks.

@Talis: Watercolours *shudder* I can't comment on those since I avoid the medium like a plague. Although perhaps the action could be captured better if there is less emphasis on the structure and more on the flow. I can't say how to do this exactly (believe me i've tried to capture flow with watercolours and its trying to juggle water ). Try only using colour on the darkest parts of the figure, capturing the form in shadow and leaving the light part largely untouched. Gives a great sense of volume i think.

AdrianNagorski:
    The 30 minute eagle study is certainly a good shot with using 100% opacity brushes, its hard to use large size hard brush. My opinion is that the tone of the body is too light, and the head and beak proportions are off, the way the beak and head rounds off reminds me of a different bird, but I gathered it was an eagle from the symbolic colours.

I think that would be the biggest flaw I can point out, is that while you did try to guess at colours, without realising it, your colour palette goes more along the lines of what the majority picture to be an "eagles" colour. Very much the colour used in portrayals of the American Eagle, which is the particular type of eagle most of us are used to seeing in mainstream media. Keep guessing at colours but be very careful when drawing to always keep the "symbolic" idea of something apart from the actual version of it. I hope what Im saying makes sense, but if once you understand it you'll it a lot easier to separate the two.

-------
    and now my update:

So, 6 figure studies of about 25mins - 1 hour. Done with 3H, HB, and 2B pencil. All referenced ofc. I have gestures somewhere that i forgot to photograph >.>

Also, 25 legs to add to the 26 above- that makes 51! now the christmas study >.>

Also in reading the need to understand the pelvis in order to understand legs, I did an anatomical study from Bridgeman on the pelvis, its bones and general muscle parts.

Apologies for crappy photo quality, even with layer adjust its not looking that great.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; December 23rd, 2011 at 10:46 AM.

51. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A figure study, I guess.

Sketchbook

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The target of the first bunch of text is Little Maiden but I kinda wrote about my miseries in general, sorry, it just happened:

Oh ashess wrote similar things I did some time ago... It IS a bit disheartening for the less skilled ones *sigh*, it's not really your fault but still. I can understand self criticism though as I have more than enough from it myself. But I really suck But I can imagine I will be pretty good and unpleased. I look at someting and wish I could do such good ones but when I'll be up there, I'll think what next, how to make them even better. Just like when I criticize a skillled one's work, I dig deeper to see smaller flaws. I often say "good" on a beginner's work and tear apart a much better one made by a seemingly more skilled one. I obviously will criticize myself forever, especially that my inner critic is improving too.
    I do apprectiate my own efforts and good points. But it's natural to focus on the things one want to be better at.
    You wrote some wise thougths:
    Its never good to be so negative as to end up hating what you do.
    [..]
    You might go through thousands of malformed blades in order to create the finest.
    Maybe I got carried away...

I can say one thing though, the "sexy" stance for the girls you drew is actually not that easy to draw. I have similar problems in the relating the relationship between ribcage and pelvis. I think the shoulders should be more aligned with the illiac crest more. They're very static land marks.
    I don't understand what you mean here
    And showy sexy stances seem much more easy than subtle gestures. I'm bad with subtleties (besides, sexyness is motivating ). But I never could grab how to draw the human figure in general. I studied the torso in the past weeks so I know it better but still, I'm waiting to see my knowledge particles assemble and it clicks. I'm kinda obsessed with it now, I had no idea about figures for years and I feel it's not that far..

--- end of 'reply to Little-Maiden and blurb' section ---

Adrian: Thanks for the link!

Guardian G.I.: A figure study, most definitely . The torso seem okayish, even graceful, maybe too slim to be realistic, I don't know and it's not the most important thing anyway. The head is a bit too small and the wrist and ankle should be tapered at the proper points, they aren't so graceful they should be. I don't wanna criticize the hand and the breasts, I know they aren't so easy as I'm no good with them either (sometimes I have these times, other times I tear apart things even if I couldn't do it better, critics are like this), but I can't keep silent about the toes. They are way too long and the big toe is the same wormie like thing as the others.

Oh let's see my "not what I think I should bring here but I have just these' stuff, now that my block is gone, I consider this 'I did, like, nothing':

Refd face and I don't care about tidyness or anything, I just wished to design Teresa, this kind of face and hair will do...

I wished to do totally different things but I wasn't in control.

I should do SOMETHING already... I have nothing else to do today anyway... My optional will be a gangsta Santa, my BF requested it.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thanks for the critique! One of the main reasons the hands and the feet look so bad (besides the anatomy) is the fact that this sketch is very small in terms of size: about 11x4 cm. I can't make myself to draw one thing on the entire sheet of paper, because of fear of failure combined with a shortage of paper.
    Also, sorry for the impudent question, but could you please tell me how do you do your digital value studies?

No artsy stuff from me — I'm taking a break for now.

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; December 24th, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.