Laymans guide to moving (Stuff people with stuff need to know.)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Laymans guide to moving (Stuff people with stuff need to know.)

If they're nice guys, they work hard, and do a good job, you should tip them. Anything from 10-100 bucks each, depending on the length, type, and difficulty of the job.

So the place I work, today I got back to "the shop" (central dispatch area) at about 12:20, waiting for my driver to talk to the bosses, then we can leave to go home for the day. Get a call in the office at 12:30, saying one of the drivers had his helper get hurt on a 2 man job, so he needs somebody to come out and help him finish the job. I leave to go help him finish around 12:45, and arrive at the job at around 1:20. (keep in mind I'm paying my own gas there and back, since I'm having to drive myself, not ride in a company truck, so theres about a 4-5 dollar expense) The job is estimated to stop at 2:30, in the original time frame, so that is as long as we are getting paid to work. I log in 1 and a quarter hours working, but the truck took until 330 to unload, as it was full (the other dude hurt himself on the first piece of the unload) and there was a sizable amount of sizable pieces. At the end of the job, I didn't get a tip, so I came out to help finish these people's move, help my buddy out, and I made about...5-7 bucks for 2 hours of hard work. (I'm getting paid 9 bucks an hour) What's done is done, but a customer being thankful doesn't pay off my student loans. I don't mind helping people out either, but I don't know those people, and that driver I've worked with 3 times now, we aren't good friends or anything. (the driver barely makes any money on something like that as it is, so he can't really pay me any more). The lesson here...if the above criteria fit, tip your movers!

The next lesson for you kids, is ALWAYS buy your movers lunch. Here's how it goes: we are getting paid by the hour, and the customer is being charged by the hour. depending on how many guys are on the job, and what time it is, the customer is being charged between 90-200+ dollars an hour for us to move. If its a big job, we have to stop and eat, period. If we stop, buy ourselves lunch, and sit down and eat, lets say that takes us a total of 45 minutes, you just paid 70-150 bucks for us to eat lunch, we paid 5-10 bucks for ourselves to eat lunch, and we are a little salty you weren't lookin out for us (and that we had to spend some of our own money). If you buy us lunch (for 20-40 bucks), and we call in a 30 minute lunch break (so it's not calculated in the final total) you spend 20-40 bucks, and then we are happy you care that we are doing alright moving all your heavy crap, and we happily get back to work. It's cheaper, it's nicer, and it makes the movers happy. and TRUST ME, people who handle all of your stuff, you DO want them to be happy.

I'm always considerate of peoples stuff, but as soon as a customer starts griping, the other dudes aren't so careful with thier stuff...so keep in mind...the happier your movers are, the safer your stuff is (in general), and likely, the cheaper it will be for you.

A final note, if you have boxes that you want the movers to take...TAPE, (don't fold, you turd) the bottom of it. duh!

And tell them ALL that they are taking, so they can plan to pack the truck right.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's another one. When the movers are unloading the truck, KNOW WHERE YOU WANT STUFF, and be nearby (if not at the entry or whatnot) to tell them what goes where. Nobody wants to walk 100 feet, up 20 stairs, with your TV, and then stand there while you say "uhhhhh.......hmmmmmmmmm........well....what do you think? Where do you think I should put this one?" Movers don't care where you put it, they just want to put it somewhere, and sometime (that time, being that very moment).

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet rant dude, keep it up. I like the composition, but work on tone.

Peace - F

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bravo bravo :o *claps*

encore?

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice rant....but...

If this is things that people should know, I think everyone should know both sides of the movers lament story.

Last time I moved I didn't have much money still I did buy lunch (five large pizzas) and supplied over $40.00 in softdrinks and bottled water to the five men that arrived from the Moving company. I even helped them move some of my heavier stuff. I know how to pack well, purchased heavy gauge boxes and went through a ton of nylon reinforced tape. At the end of loading, I tipped $250.00 cash. Then the "paperwork" came out.

What happened? Hello? I was totally ripped off!

My written "estimate" of $2,860.00 escalated to over $10,000.00 the moment they had my stuff was on their truck. They even added in another $500.00 in later for the tip back on the bill. I won't go into the hell I was put through but long story short, I topped out all my credit cards getting cash advances and borrowed money to pay the blackmail to get my stuff delivered (late). I found a good portion of my belongings were busted up and water damaged. Now, due to a Miami FBI investigation those movers were eventually arrested and indicted but I got none of my money back. Only furniture that was being held hostage for payment was returned to owners at no cost. I was dumb enough, and desperate enough to pay, so I lost out.

If you want people to be educated with the moving business as you wish, then they also should check out the many horror stories posted on these sites below. I found I wasn't alone. The problem of movers scamming people is HUGE! There are many, many victims and very lame laws to protect them.

http://www.movingadvocateteam.com/

and

http://www.movingscam.com/

Sorry jetpack42, no sympathy here at all. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but your arrogant post really pisses me off since my experience with treating movers good as you suggest resulted in trashed family heirlooms, destroyed artwork and most of all a financial burden that over two years later I still haven't been able to recover from.

Hope you get a gig as an concept artist fulltime and out of that friggin business.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.