Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: sketchy sketch - UPDATED 5/5

Thanks

sketchy sketch - UPDATED 5/5

Hello. I'm not exactly new here. I've been floating around for a while, but it wasn't until now that I decided to make a sketchbook.

I come in peace. I am 15 years old and I was born and raised in New York. I started drawing 2 to 3 years ago after being inspired by the amazing artists I saw online. I am hoping to improve and get advice/critique. I will post my studies here.

update: 2/25
    I emptied out the first post to start fresh. If you want to see what was originally there, click here.
    Last edited by KONM; May 5th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You have some beautiful mark-making going on with those Bridgman studies... o: very nice. Looking forward to seeing more of it!

I realize you've only made one post, but I'd like to throw out a request for some work from imagination! Though I'd settle for some stuff from life, like that candle study (but more finished). ;D
    It's just hard to judge your abilities, and thus see where you need to study and write a good crit, with only copy practice and half-done still lives. But as of now you're looking pretty good - welcome to cA and keep posting!
    My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    From what I can see in your first post it seems like you have the potential to be a very good artist.
    I really like the Bridgman studies, and that first digital painting is well done so far, it would be great to see you finish it, keep going man!

Thanks
    Hey. Thanks guys, sorry I haven't updated in a while. I almost forgot about my sketchbook. Old and new stuff. Mostly poop.

Most of this is imagination, for you Jesse.
    I also have a couple of studies, not many though. I've been slacking.

I have a lot of practice to do. I cropped two of the pages at the bottom because the other sketches on the page were so disastrously messy, I was ashamed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KONM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some pathetic figure drawings before bed.

Thanks
    Some more today.

Thanks

Thanks
    Creusa - Hope you mean that in the good way.

I was trying to focus on color, but I think I should of paid more attention to the face in the first one. Its a screencap from this Mexican movie called Biutiful. Last image is from imagination, probably gonna make it my thumbnail + icon. I was trying out new brushes, thanks to conte. I made the eyes too far apart, didn't I? I think I really will fix it. Its bothering me now. The girl is based off of one of the sketches in my old post.

The rest is studies from photos and some from posemaniacs. I might color some of them later. I have to draw more men. I realized pretty much all my studies are women, lol. But I am supposed to be taking a figure drawing class in March, so hopefully I'll have a good mix of both.

The hands are drawings of a drawing from the practice section of this daily theme site. The little flower print on it is just apart of the paper.

Advice, critique, and suggestions are very much appreciated. You can tear me to shreds if you want. I'm really trying to figure out how to make my sketches look less scratchy.
    Last edited by KONM; February 25th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Nothing much as of recently, I just feel like poop. I don't know what direction I'm taking with my artwork.
    On a lighter note, I've been reading this awesome comic book called Xombi. I reccomend it.

Anyway, I have a ref'd pose from a picture that I thought was interesting. In the second one I tried to draw 2 characters from Xombi. The last page is some Hogarth studies.

Thanks
    Wow, really liking the bold straight lines you've used in your sketches. They seem confident. You're really young too, so way to go. Keep practising.

Thanks
    that's really awesome , you're 15 and good skills
    keep working hard , and never give up , and i'd suggest to work more on your imagination and study from ( Andrew Loomis Books ) there are free pdfs on the net
    by the way i'm 16.5 yrs old
    Good Luck
    Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

Thanks
    pupuska: Thanks.
    Though its funny because I don't feel confident about my lines. Lol.

Wassim: Thanks, and thanks for the advice. I will definitely do that. I actually have the old pdf copies and I plan to buy the books that are back in print, I just have to get to it. And nice to see another young artist.

I'm trying to make my sketches tighter. Not successful.... yet! I also have some men and feet, but it came out terrible. Still have practice to do. The feet were my own.

Forgot to upload the feet.
    Last edited by KONM; March 5th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Oh darn it another one. I wish I had been working as hard as you at 15 (18 here). Don't stop! You're gonna be amazing. Your lines already really clean.

Like everyone says, do more stuff from imagination! It's the best way to really learn. I'd also suggest you start working some more on painting, it seems to be your weakness. Your figure drawings from observation in pencil are pretty nice, and it doesn't look like they're too hard for you to do anymore, so start working on harder things. I did hundreds of gestures in ink for months and it got really easy and eventually I just wasn't learning anything from them; they were just a waste of time I did so I could tell myself I was drawing. I wound up stuck in a rut, my imagination died and I barely improved over a long time. I should have moved on to longer figure drawings or finished pieces or something. If these are getting easy for you mix them up to make them harder somehow or work on new exercises.
    Also remember anatomy is important, but it's secondary to composition and perspective and volume and shape and value and all those other wonderful boring basics. If you haven't mastered those yet pay more attention to them than you are to anatomy.

What field are you hoping to go into? You might want to start doing some more specific work that will get you closer to getting into the industry you've chosen.
    sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast