Color Test
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Color Test

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color Test

Okay, So I am still working towards submitting board samples to agencies and agents. I still have a long way to go but here is a little of all I have learned. I can critique every level of what I am doing but a little feedback would help. Thank as always to the generous people on these boards.
    Simon

This is for an ad where a lady is at home talking to the camera and we cut to a robber breaking in...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe not what you ask for here, but since I read that you want to draw story boards-

Are you known to typical codes that are used in movies?
    The most common camera views are:
    - horizonal and vertical lines in harmonic, save scenes
    - cropped / skewed lines in dramatic scees / action scenes (like staircases or just holding the camera a bit weird to get a different perspective on horizoals)
    - how to capture persons (usually a total view will cut off the head on the upper edge)

Also theirs a lot of other stuff with things that happen. Like darkness in the right spots creates usually a bad feeling in the viwer, triangle compositions give any elements a dangerous touch (very common way of doing this is by using the shadows in a face), any background behind any character that fits his personality (like having colors for his mood or simple stuff like book chests behind a character to make him appear experienced/intelligent etc.).

There are billions of codes used in movies to create unconscious action, dramatic and suspense, most of the time asking you to do the very opposite of what you know to use for typical artworks (composition). You may want to learn some of them, and create some on your own after getting an idea of the direction. Probably the most important thing for story boarding.

If you want I can try to receive a list with the most common used codes, though it could be better to visit some kind of school that teaches film/animation or at least some courses

As an example for your scene:

Last edited by Swamp Thing; December 19th, 2011 at 02:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp Thing For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.