P.O.W.! Challenge 56 (A-B) Steampunk and Vision Quests - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 56 (A-B) Steampunk and Vision Quests

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't make much progress with my sketches but I'm typing the script with CeltX and working out the page division further. Hoping to get further into character design tomorrow.

I also set up a very basic concept of Henrietta's workshop. (Henrietta is my heroine's name.) Just learning to use SketchUp so it's nothing fancy, just so I have something to look at.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the double post, but you will now be treated to my craptastic doodles of doom for page 1.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't pace myself very well so I didn't finish inking digitally. I spent too much time drawing on paper. I don't think I'll finish, but I'll see what I can get done though.

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep going, NicoleWG - you have a whole week left. 3 pages gets you in the poll! I'm really excited about seeing all of your work. Lots of new faces this time round.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i decided to actually work on pencil/pen steampunk pages as crappy as they are i limited it to four pageswich will be uploaded in two day's

8. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of good stuff coming out of this topic

I'm ashamed to put my scribbles on here, but hopefully you get the idea, they're mainly notes and sketches so they're a bit incoherant . I'll post the proper sketches soon.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; January 10th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angel Intheuk, I love how loose your lines look! Very nice, it actually reminded me to loosen up again myself and that helped me so much drawing today. Thanks a bunch!

I'm almost finished with pencilling the first page now. Whew, drawing comics is so hard! I'm glad that I've got SketchUp to help me with perspective at times, just to figure out some angles. It's a lot of fun though, drawing environments. I'm very proud of what I got done today! The first panel isn't my favourite but I really like the bottom left one. (Sorry for the crappy photo...) I decided to put the speech bubbles in via computer later on but I also need to write the title... Let's see how I manage that one.

Too bad it's past midnight already, I'd love to keep drawing

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, this is what I have so far (Topic: Steampunk Love Story):
    (Thumbs):
    Name:  jan7_thumbs.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  300.4 KB
    (Rough - Page 1):
    Name:  pg_1_a01.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  212.9 KB

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right: pencilled roughs are done, and the scanner isn't working. Let's have a bad digital photo instead.

Looking good so far, everybody!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scarbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I'm almost finished with inking the first page. Whew! Loads of fun but it's also really hard. So many perspective errors... Ah well, maybe I'll redo the page one day.

Have a photo.

Everyone else's is looking good too! Nice going, I'm excited to see how they will look finished

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like I'm spamming this thread with my WIPs so you guys just tell me when to stop... But drawing for an hour or two has been my only actual work today (was sick) so I feel the need to boost my self-esteem by showing it off. Rough pencils of page 2. Far from perfect yet but I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

Critique is always welcome! I'm not sure if I'll make the deadline because I'd have to finish inking by Saturday afternoon in order to have it scanned on time but we'll see.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking really good Kjesta I don't think you're spamming I'm glad you're posting, it's giving me a kick to finish mine. I've got my story roughed out and I just need to neaten it up now and put some colour on but I might not have time either to finish it how I want

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never posted on concept art before, and though I very much doubt I will be able to complete this since I only just read the challenge yesterday, I thought perhaps posting an idea is better than not posting at all.....right? So here's my take on a Steampunk romance.....reinterpreting a fairytale:

Steampunk romance
    Dialog: Father came home from the city yesterday. (Establishing image of cottage with forest behind it)
    Blew in with the storm. (Door opening and old man stumbling in)
    Clutched in his hand was the most wondrous mechanical rose. He carried it as a burden, though it was gossamer-light. (Daughters helping him into a chair)
    (Inset of Rose)
    He told the most astonishing tale of a magnificent castle in the wood, that housed wonders beyond the magnificent rose… (silhouette of castle)
    (Various mechanical objects)
    That even as he spoke bloomed with the heat of the fire as the metal warmed (Rose opening, three inset panels)
    (beauty’s face, her delight with the rose)
    (Father’s face turned away from it, and the other sisters comforting him)
    But with a price…. Someone must return, alone. (Daughter sneaking out the door, looking back toward lights in the cottage)
    (Footsteps in the snow, her tiny figure against the massive forest)
    Splash page: Beauty and the beast (Beauty Foreground, silhouette of cyborg-type beast in BG, steampunk/nouveau border and title)

I haven't decided if I want to make the outside world strictly mundane with no steam-punk technology to make the castle really the draw for Beauty to want to go and explore it, or to make the people into mechanical dolls and just the motivation follow the standard save-father's-life.....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to karacature For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angel Intheuk, thanks! I'm holding my thumbs for you to finish on time and to motivate you further, here's an update on my own comic (And now to bed, it's almost 3am... And I have to finish this thing until 1pm... Oh dear!)

Almost done inking page 2 and I've almost completed the pencil roughs for page 3. I think page 2 is better than 1 and 3 will end up better than 3, at least I hope so, haha. Ignore the Escher-esque chair my male main character is sitting on... I always mess this kind of thing up, sigh.

Oooh and do you see those shiny little sound words? My first sound words ever!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how you doin?

so hears my rush job wish i spent more time penciling it out! Great job my peep's!!!!!!!!!!

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made some changes. I felt like the ending wasn't getting quick to the point enough... A bit stumped on the inking but almost done:

Name:  pro_2_pg_1_02.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  130.1 KBName:  pro_2_pg_2_02.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  126.7 KBName:  pro_2_pg_3_02.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  112.6 KB

Last edited by velderia; January 14th, 2012 at 08:27 AM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm new to participating in challenges, though I've popped in to view and vote on CA before... I tried posting my outline yesterday but it didn't show up in the thread.
    Here's my outline:
    Steampunk romance
    Dialog: Father came home from the city yesterday. (Establishing image of cottage with forest behind it)
    Blew in with the storm. (Door opening and old man stumbling in)
    Clutched in his hand was the most wondrous mechanical rose. He carried it as a burden, though it was gossamer-light. (Daughters helping him into a chair)
    (Inset of Rose)
    He told the most astonishing tale of a magnificent castle in the wood, that housed wonders beyond the magnificent rose… (silhouette of castle)
    (Various mechanical objects)
    That even as he spoke bloomed with the heat of the fire as the metal warmed (Rose opening, three inset panels)
    (beauty’s face, her delight with the rose)
    (Father’s face turned away from it, and the other sisters comforting him)
    But with a price…. Someone must return, alone. (Daughter sneaking out the door, looking back toward lights in the cottage)
    (Footsteps in the snow, her tiny figure against the massive forest)

Splash page: Beauty and the beast (Beauty Foreground, silhouette of cyborg-type beast in BG, steampunk/nouveau border and title)

I've started my roughs but since I only found this topic two days ago, I might not get the pages finished enough for voting, but I'll spend today working on them as well.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to karacature For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if I'm going to make this on time... Should have planned this better.

Edit: Some WIP:

Name:  pg_1_ink_unfinished01.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  315.8 KB Name:  pg_2_ink_unfinished02.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  144.1 KB

Last edited by velderia; January 15th, 2012 at 06:37 AM.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    time for some crits:
    velderia: very nice coloring, nice color-palette! good and clear panel-architectur.
    j.s.sabastian: nice to see some tradional stuff from you! It's looking great!
    kjesta: good line work! clear and strong! The bottom-left panel on the first page is superb! never mind the smaller perspectiv errors.
    scarbo: good sketches! I hope you can inked them at least!
    Angel intheuk: I really hope to see this one done! nice sketching and promising story notes!

I will probably finish this time, but iwont color the whole story. It's so much work to do and I still got other stuff to do...
    I will post some stuff later!

[Edit] here's page 3
    i know, i screwed up the taxi massivly...
    Name:  Page3kl.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  342.4 KB

Last edited by ex-machina; January 15th, 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added page 3
    "Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was sick for a week, so I could only do 3 of 6 pages of this "Vision Quest" story.

Name:  sequential_37_by_klortho-d4k7sar.png
Size:  320.3 KB

Name:  sequential_38_by_klortho-d4kqb2i.png
Views: 207
Size:  291.8 KB

Name:  sequential_39_by_klortho-d4m3cev.png
Views: 181
Size:  327.2 KB

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to klortho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I've blown the deadline on this one. I've got a bunch of really good excuses but I'll go ahead and assume that nobody wants to hear them

I'll try to clean up what I have and post it in a day or two, because it's good for my morale. It's been great to practice my rusty comics drawing skills; now I'll just need to work on those even more important "meeting my deadline" skills. Great work, everybody who made it and almost made it!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, some really great stuff! I'll post more thorough comments when I'm done with my own but it's so inspiring to see all of your work, folks.

Now, I've got a bit of a problem: after actually managing to finish my artwork digitally (at least as far as it'll get for now), I can't figure out how to resize my images to work here as an attachment. Anybody know how I get it down to 96dpi in GIMP? It'd suck if I failed the deadline because of this!

Edit: Oh oh oh, I think I did it Haha, I'm such a dunce sometimes.

Edit 2: Alright, here's my monster. I'm not completely happy with it, I still have so much to learn about working with my ink and nibs, but I think it's not too bad for my first try at making a comic. For the next time I participate, though, I'll try to work on my digital drawing skills! Paying 8€ just to get my drawings scanned at the copy shop was really hefty.

Final thoughts: I might actually work more on it and shade/crosshatch/fill it more, that's actually my favourite part of working in ink but I didn't have time anymore.

Last edited by Kjesta; January 15th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately I had some things come up and I can't do this POW I didn't even get a page done. Hopefully I'll be able to do the next one though! I do look forward to seeing what everyone's come up with though.

"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one."
    Charles Horton Cooley
    http://hana-hyou.deviantart.com/
    http://artofcml.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kjesta Aw that's a really sweet story, nicely drawn too
    Klortho Haha like it! great style.
    ex-machina Thanks, I like your story idea too. I'm interested to see where it'll go.
    Velderia I agree, lovely colour palette. Hope you can finish.
    J.S Sebastian Cool! Nice work, I like the sense of action and humour.

Well here's what I got so far, it's changed alot from the notes. I wanted it more disjointed but I got carried away and made it all structured. Just got to put words in so it makes sense, hopefully I'll finish in time.

EDIT: Here's the finished one

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; January 15th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kjesta: nice story! as i told before, your inking is great!
    angel intheuk: Great! I like your story. I konow it sounds harsh, but for me it's more like a (advanced) sketch for a comic....
    Am i the only one who sees some sarcasm in the story? I'm mean, comparing goa(?) top the beatles... I mean no offence to any goa-listener, i like it too sometimes, but it's just NOT the same feeling....
    Here's mine:
    rape it!

Name:  Page1KL.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  413.5 KB
    Name:  Page2kll.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  362.4 KB
    Name:  Page3kl.jpg
Size:  342.4 KB
    Name:  Page4kl.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  379.3 KB

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ex=machina Don't worry, it doesn't sound harsh, I'm glad for the feedback. it's definitely not finished, I really only worked on it for a few evenings and I'm not really happy with it myself, but it's still slightly more than I did last time so I'm getting there . The story is supposed to sound a little ironic that out of all the profound things that enter your head when tripping sometimes the things that stick with you are the most trivial, like understanding where the Beatles were coming from during their psychadelic phase (which I never had before until I took mushrooms) I just need to work on my storytelling.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; January 16th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dayum, POW's finally popular again. Great work guys, don't think I've ever seen so many awesome comics in one thread before. ex_machina, awesome story man, love how the vision guy looks.

Also, donalfall, have you guys got a badge for POW yet? You could make a request thread, I'm sure you'd get some people willing to help out.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to be late in here you guys, I've been down with a flu (again). Second flu in 3 months - I physically wasn't able to get out of bed a few days last week. But I'm pretty much back on track again and I'm going to throw up my POW and the poll within the next 24 hours, so if anyone has any last minute retouches or a few pages you are *almost* finished, you have a few more hours, if that helps?

Droid I had someone lined up to make a badge, but I think they've blown the assignment off for other obligations, which is fine. I might start a badge/banner thread, good idea dude!

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

53. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooops, I had a little fever relapse for a few days. Poll will be up in the next couple of hours.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2