Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 25

Thread: Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brookings, Oregon
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    This is my first time posting on here, so I apologize if I do something uncommon or wrong. I've come here because I need some good feedback and constructive criticism. I've realized that I don't get hardly any feedback from anybody anymore, in person or online (flickr and tumblr). I just really want to better myself as an artist.

    I work mainly in mixed media illustration and photography but will only be showing recent illustration work. I might show some not as recent work too though. I'd love it if you checked out the rest of my illustrations set on flickr though. And if you'd like to read details or see larger versions of any that i've posted here, they're on there as well.

    Most recent works (in my moleskine):

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Not as recent works:

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).


    I apologize if I posted too many.

    Thanks in advance for looking and any feedback you have to offer!

    Johnathan
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brookings, Oregon
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    *bump*
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    Well, I do like your work, very much. I can easily identify with that sort of collage aproaching, putting together text and images, to offer a glance into a personal inner world of poetic qualities (given your casual usage of a comic format, I think you might find interesting the work La vida en el limbo, by Ahumada; the old drawings of Jose Luis Cuevas came to my mind too); most of your watercolours look very appealing to me; your animal characters look all really well...

    The problems, I think, may arise depending on what you aim to do now with this works: do you want them to be exposed in galleries? to develop a personal style that could be recognized, illustrating tales and other books? to develop your own stories/characters/thematics and try to publish them independently? I ask because, depending on the circles you want to strike into, the people in charge tend to find this kind of very personal, eclectic and small format works, likelly amateurish/ambiguous or not really fitting their own necessities. For starters, and althought you've developed a nice style with it, maybe you should consider avoid using a ball pen and substitute it with a Mars matic or calligraphic pens, for a more sober look.
    Last edited by elemile; December 18th, 2011 at 02:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,597
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Yes, I'd have to echo elemile -- what is it you want to do? You've developed a strong personal style that's difficult to critique in the traditional way. It's interesting. I like several of them a lot.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
    these are very nice as said above, a good style you have there. I like the blythe-alice in wonderland tea party with i assume yourself present in it (since several of the guys look similar)
    since you asked for critisism I'd try and work on proportions/symmetry a bit more in the forward facing faces, even though they look very charming as they are i'd imagine even better with more symmetry.
    For what you want to be I'd definitely go towards magazine and book illustration (which is what i want to do also)
    edit: just checked your flickr, good that it intentionally looks like iwan cos that's what I thought when i saw it
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brookings, Oregon
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elemile View Post
    Well, I do like your work, very much. I can easily identify with that sort of collage aproaching, putting together text and images, to offer a glance into a personal inner world of poetic qualities (given your casual usage of a comic format, I think you might find interesting the work La vida en el limbo, by Ahumada; the old drawings of Jose Luis Cuevas came to my mind too); most of your watercolours look very appealing to me; your animal characters look all really well...

    The problems, I think, may arise depending on what you aim to do now with this works: do you want them to be exposed in galleries? to develop a personal style that could be recognized, illustrating tales and other books? to develop your own stories/characters/thematics and try to publish them independently? I ask because, depending on the circles you want to strike into, the people in charge tend to find this kind of very personal, eclectic and small format works, likelly amateurish/ambiguous or not really fitting their own necessities. For starters, and althought you've developed a nice style with it, maybe you should consider avoid using a ball pen and substitute it with a Mars matic or calligraphic pens, for a more sober look.
    Thank you very much. I just looked up Ahumada's work and I love it! Can't wait to see more. I like Jose Luis Cuevas's work as well - reminds me of Picasso in some aspects.

    As far as what I want to do. I want to do everything; show in galleries, make zines, finish my graphic novel idea (that i've had for 2+ years)/get my graphic novel published, illustrate for books and magazines and album covers, etc.

    I think I understand as far as some people thinking these small works are amateurish but it's not as if I think my work doesn't have value. I'm a talented artist. I do have plans to do some large portraiture soon though, so maybe that will open me up.

    What are the main differences between the ball-point pen and the other pen's you've suggested? What did you mean by a "sober look"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Yes, I'd have to echo elemile -- what is it you want to do? You've developed a strong personal style that's difficult to critique in the traditional way. It's interesting. I like several of them a lot.
    Thank you. As far as what I want to do, see above. Why is my work difficult to critique though?

    Quote Originally Posted by ebonysmith View Post
    these are very nice as said above, a good style you have there. I like the blythe-alice in wonderland tea party with i assume yourself present in it (since several of the guys look similar)
    since you asked for critisism I'd try and work on proportions/symmetry a bit more in the forward facing faces, even though they look very charming as they are i'd imagine even better with more symmetry.
    For what you want to be I'd definitely go towards magazine and book illustration (which is what i want to do also)
    edit: just checked your flickr, good that it intentionally looks like iwan cos that's what I thought when i saw it
    Yes, the repeating guy is me. I am the most available model I have and being that my work is very personal, I like to use myself.

    Definitely! That is something i've been having issues with is the symmetry. My faces are always a little askew. And although no face is completely symmetrical sometimes it's still too much of an issue. What would you recommend for me to get better as far as that? I already use the method of putting a line in the middle of the face, both horizontally and vertically. What more could I do?

    Thanks everybody!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brookings, Oregon
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    *bump*
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,459
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    lovely colours and technique; the content is a bit gocryemokid but each to their own.

    this is my fave by a mile
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    check out my pal Mydrims sketchbook, hes fucking awesome at wierd pictures you might like.

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=172291
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I can easily identify with that sort of collage aproaching, putting together text and images
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brookings, Oregon
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    lovely colours and technique; the content is a bit gocryemokid but each to their own.

    this is my fave by a mile
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    check out my pal Mydrims sketchbook, hes fucking awesome at wierd pictures you might like.

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=172291
    I really don't understand. You think the content of my artwork is comparable to a website that has internet meme's depicting funny stories about emo kids? Really? Or did I read this wrong? That's kind of ridiculous.

    If i'm not reading it wrong, please explain. What about my work is emo? Because my work is very personal and is often my way of working out my feelings?

    I do like your friend's sketchbook. It's neat.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
    With the symmetry of the face, more lines as you build it up and reverse the picture (always reverse the picture!) as you work on it to see how it's going. These two things really help.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ebonysmith For This Useful Post:


  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,459
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    "What about my work is emo?"
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    one thing i would say is dont be too sensitive; people in the crit forum are always constructive but that doesnt automatically mean they love everything; if youre weak in an area they will tell you. Many new posters here are used to being told their work is flawless so it comes as a shock to have it picked apart and deconstructed, but its a 100% positive thing and will make you better. Its meant to help, so dont get offended or annoyed.
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; December 21st, 2011 at 03:59 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brookings, Oregon
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    "What about my work is emo?"
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).
    Looking for some good constructive criticism (image heavy).

    one thing i would say is dont be too sensitive; people in the crit forum are always constructive but that doesnt automatically mean they love everything; if youre weak in an area they will tell you. Many new posters here are used to being told their work is flawless so it comes as a shock to have it picked apart and deconstructed, but its a 100% positive thing and will make you better. Its meant to help, so dont get offended or annoyed.
    I'm not offended or annoyed at all. I was merely asking for more of an explanation which you still didn't give me.

    Both of the pieces you replied with are based upon songs that I was inspired by and felt connected with. I don't find that emo.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need constructive criticism
    By Nimperedhil in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
  2. SketchBook: in need of some constructive criticism....
    By Dante Philippe in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
  3. Could I get some constructive criticism please?
    By Blu--wolf in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM
  4. Need some Constructive Criticism
    By BarnabyJones in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook