Art: Animation Using Traditional Technique

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Animation Using Traditional Technique

Hey folks. Thought you'd enjoy my latest test animation. Been doing a lot of other things involving coding. Anyway, I hope to be doing a lot more on the animation front soon.

ANIMATION:
    http://youtu.be/-LyXq6KwDC0

Sorry if the embed don't show up!

INSPIRATION:
    Name:  ashwaria1.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  41.0 KB

Thanks if you viewed this. Happy holdiays!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good although there are some weird things happening with the lines on the back of the elephant's left leg which make it seem like the surface of the skin is made of liquid and is swirling around. Also I recon you could push the feeling of weight a lot further, at the moment the elephant looks very mechanical and doesn't seem to be distributing it's weight among it's legs as it walks.

By "Traditional Technique", what exactly do you mean? Because to me it implies drawing each frame of animation via a series of key poses, breakdowns and inbetweens. I may be wrong but I don't get the impression that this was done that way.

Your inspiration seems nice but I think maybe you've followed it too closely. The perspective on the trunk at one point in the animation suggest that it is being viewed side-on yet this seems a confusing angle to repeat in the cycle when the elephant as a whole is being viewed very much from behind. Again I think you could reduce a lot of that weird surface "oozing" effect if you reduced a lot of the lines which are causing it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I'm working with key poses but I've got a bit of motion graphics involved as well. It was a test so I'm hoping to make it more complete with color and little edit here and there.

Yes, i agree the perespective is somewhat strange but it interesting in a way as well. This loop would probably only be onscreen for about 6 seconds unless it's a zoom away or a talkie in which case you might zoom in!

I've always wanted to see more detail in traditional(hand drawn) work, even to a hyper degree. I don't mean to replace CG but there's a niche there for traditional animation to look even better than CG in some aspects that I am searching for.

Here's another one based on a illustration that was not as "moveable" as the first. I added some other graphics to it to spruce it up a bit. Thanks for your close critique of my work.

http://youtu.be/W832sGaN8Zc

Name:  rai2.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  133.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the second animation, it's a decent mix between motion and shape tweening: the latter of which is harder to pull off unless shape hints are used. Plus, while the colors aren't very aesthetically pleasing, they aren't hell on the eyes. I suggest that you keep working on your weaknesses.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few technical things stood out to me.

1. is patching problems. If your using symbols you still have to be conscious of how your lines line up, and how your objects overlap one another. In the first one, one of the head dealies passes in front of the other- there is no finishing line across the bottom of the dealy.
    On the second image the arm often passes over the breast obscuring it in a strange way. Here you can see in a freeze frame how awkward it looks.

2- was just the tail not coloured in. seeing the leg lines through the tail was a distraction for me.

I've always wanted to see more detail in traditional(hand drawn) work, even to a hyper degree. I don't mean to replace CG but there's a niche there for traditional animation to look even better than CG in some aspects that I am searching for.
    I like cybersix and Aeon flux for detailed stuff and agree- I love detailed animation, but it's excruciating and expensive.
    Maybe if we extract Glen Kean's abilities we can make a race of super soldier animators... and the world could do with a little less CG.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again Rhubix for coming to my rescue with another critique. I know there are some overlap probs with the last one, but each of these was finished in one day, so as to prove that one could go from concept to finished detailed animation faster than a full CG process. This is not to say that I am not CG friendly, I just like the cartoon look for my humans.

Some other work needed to be done with the first animation but in general, I can see how the main animation is looking in a days time. This next animation to about 3.5 days as it was a bit more complicated to plan, animate, excetera, but again I challenge the average CG pro to model. animate, and create a transform for this concept within that time frame AND keep it looking like a saturday morning cartoon.

http://youtu.be/-0PPdRzK43o

I'm sure will examine the transform which could be further refined, but I don't think it's any worse than some of the transforms in the movie where millions of details simply go unnoticed.

Name:  timeless-model.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  38.8 KB

Thanks for stopping by Seraph, I'll be sure to work on those points you mentioned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

Worked through Christmas on this one. Wanted to keep going but there's only so many FX you can add. Again, just a concept illustrator animated in 2D. Always wanted to animate this one but it really wore me out.

Name:  survivorpict.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  55.5 KB

Don't know what I'm gonna do next on the 2D thing. I'm considering upgrading my copy of Lightwave 3D. The new features are pretty boss. There's a lot of cool 2D stuff going on right now on the net though so i'll have to think about it awhile.

http://youtu.be/groHXAH03Q8

Did one in 3D last Christmas with a MOCAP file but can't really say which has more potential. I don't have a live action cast or anything so I think most would say go the cartoon route. Anyway hop you like this and please excuse me if any of this sounds rude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recently played with animating a few cartoony/anime type characters for a series bumper. I'll post a link here if anyone's awake.

http://youtu.be/7j0ThuODnaU

You can see more visual stuff at my blog:
    http://wholebitmedia.wordpress.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

priligy celebrex

I take buy priligy pill and it works as expected but after sexual intercourse I sometimes feel muscle pain in the back and fatigue. I do not know if this is because I work like a stud or it is a side effect. Anyway I am lucky that I gave it a try. celebrex

Last edited by Agrafagr; March 23rd, 2012 at 07:35 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.