Sketchbook: Dave's Sketchbook, learning to learn - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the things you're doing with perspective. They really stand out.
    Keep going with the figure drawings they're already improving and you seem to have a good grasp of lighting.

I'd say try to work on getting your lines to become more smooth and confident (single lines instead of chickenscratches ). I'm sure this will come with time, but if you consciously work at it it might get you there sooner?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jondawo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambiguity View Post
    Late reply, but hopefully it's still helpful...

Doing stuff in pen is an SOB because you're forced to go straight to refinement, but if you practice it enough of course you're going to get good at it.
    Anyways, I'd say focus on getting your edges perfect, paying close attention to the major shapes, since you don't have the luxury of building up like with pencil you're going to pretty much have to get this right the first time if it's going to turn out right.
    Chicken scratch is going to be unacceptable in pen, so I'd practice line control if you really want to draw in pen.
    Another thing is when shading you really need to approach this economically, make sure every line is contributing to understanding the form, don't just throw lines in because you can. You shouldn't be trying to make perfect patterns with your hatching, it should always follow the form(in one way or another) of the object.
    Some of this applies to all mediums really, you just can't fix it if you have a problem with a pen.

At any rate, this is a sketchbook and sketchbooks are for practice, so don't get discouraged when you make mistakes, it's all part of the process.

P.S. Your recent perspective studies aren't looking to shabby ^_^.
    Thanks a lot man, I highlighted the important things you mentioned to bear them in mind. It doesn't matter it took you quite a while to answer, lol, I appreciate the advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jondawo View Post
    I like the things you're doing with perspective. They really stand out.
    Keep going with the figure drawings they're already improving and you seem to have a good grasp of lighting.

I'd say try to work on getting your lines to become more smooth and confident (single lines instead of chickenscratches ). I'm sure this will come with time, but if you consciously work at it it might get you there sooner?
    This is the 2nd time someone mentions the "chicken scratch" thing today, hahaha, I really need to pay attention to shading and pattern, it's always messy. In the perspective studies it looks a lot better because of that, so next time I try to draw a figure I'll keep it in mind, thanks for stopping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I came to check out your sketchbook and respond to your comment you left

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGarcia View Post
    Hi!

this is such an awesome SB, congrats. I love your environments and since you're so good there's something I would like to ask you about. My most recent studies are about perspective, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. However, I find it so hard to draw real architecture. I mean, I know everything's made of boxes, but it gets really hard to imagine buildings without references. Do I have to study architectural styles so that I know how to apply all that to my "boxes"?? Yours are amazing
    Looking at your environment stuff, you actually have very good looking stuff compositionally, you just have to take that next step of adding more detail, which you were asking about. All you really have to do is get a hang of drawing in perspective so you'll be able to to draw whatever you have in your brain exactly, like it's second nature (I still haven't gotten to that level yet, I need more practice too!). Redrawing actual places/buildings in different perspectives and angles is really good practice for that. After that its just using whatever reference you fancy as inspiration, be it from real life, movie, videogame, whatever. So my main piece of advice is just practice a lot, regularly, your perspective stuff is already looking great

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bopx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bopx View Post
    Hey, I came to check out your sketchbook and respond to your comment you left

Looking at your environment stuff, you actually have very good looking stuff compositionally, you just have to take that next step of adding more detail, which you were asking about. All you really have to do is get a hang of drawing in perspective so you'll be able to to draw whatever you have in your brain exactly, like it's second nature (I still haven't gotten to that level yet, I need more practice too!). Redrawing actual places/buildings in different perspectives and angles is really good practice for that. After that its just using whatever reference you fancy as inspiration, be it from real life, movie, videogame, whatever. So my main piece of advice is just practice a lot, regularly, your perspective stuff is already looking great
    Sorry about the late reply, thanks a lot for answering, I have already started to practise repeating the same buildings in different angles and so on. I've understood reference is crucial and almost compulsory, provided one does not copy the perspective and allows himself the luxury of changing everything (perspective, composition, etc). Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a piece of shit but I need to practise and keep on trying. This time I tried to render light with a simple bic pen, but it didn't turn out well I think.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can see your figure training is giving alot of results work dynamic poses and do alot of gestures, that idea of the mutation i really liked it i think you could improve it alot in the future when you know more keep it up man ill come here from time to time !!! got a fan already

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for your kind words, but I'm not that good. I appreciate your encouragement, it means a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I'm trying to improve my hatching with a bic pen, I am practising a lot and I humbly think this is starting to turn out decently. These are some examples of basic shapes from imagination and some notes I took based on ccsears' post and feedback from you guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another pen sketch trying to bear in mind what I have learnt (or what I think I have learnt). I know anatomy SUCKS a lot, I didn't pay attention to it but I will, coz I cannot render properly without a great understanding of the masses and planes, so it is about time I start with human heads and figures....Loomis....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first digital painting/sketch EVER, trying to get used to the humble tablet I bought (25 pounds lol). I've got to say this is just amazing, before trying I knew I'd love digital and now I can confirm it. It's still weird for me to think of masses and form on the screen but I'll get over it, it's just a matter of practice and that's what I'm doing: fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. Gonna pratise with basic forms until I'm comfortable enough.

EDIT: sorry about the size, I didn't realise I was working on such a small canvas. Next time I'll do it way bigger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that digital painting looks amazing. As for your anatomy, I would advise you to make more studies with references and anatomy books instead of going with imagination until you can make the poses flow more naturally.

all the best

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Masochist View Post
    that digital painting looks amazing. As for your anatomy, I would advise you to make more studies with references and anatomy books instead of going with imagination until you can make the poses flow more naturally.

all the best
    Gracias!! You're right about my anatomy, it could take me ages to be able to draw it right without reference, and I'll learn quicker if I look at poses and how real bodies work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great idea about using pen, that really forces you to think where to put what and if you fuck up a line it just stares in your face hahaha, and your anatomy doesnt suck man, the major muscles that should be ther ARE there maybe the proportions are a little bit off but that comes in time.

work hard man and use reference when possible it really helps you after all its just for practice! post updates i wanna see what you are up to

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did not die! I was so busy with work that I almost forgot these forums (shame on me). Even though my skills with the pen are still awful I decided to jump into color and rendering with my tablet and here are the results. I need to start learning so many things, but I just love trying to paint with photoshop.

And yes, I know an egg cannot stand up just like that, I realised after I'd done it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 2