Sketchbook: Dave's Sketchbook, learning to learn

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dave's Sketchbook, learning to learn

EDITED: I started working and it is hard for me to find time to just draw but I try my best and I will try to keep this updated, thank you SO much for your feedback and critics, these forums are one of the best places I've ever been in.

Btw, I changed the thread's thumbnail because I love my humble egg.

Hi there, folks from

I'll be brief (this is about drawing, not talking): My name is Dave and I am a expat Spaniard living in the UK. So far I know almost nothing about Art and I'm studying a degree which is not even related to it (I'm doing English Language). However, I enjoy drawing as to forget the passing of time whenever I give it a try. I've always felt that there's something of beauty and magic within me and I'll do whatever it takes to be able to give expression to it. I borrowed Figure drawing for all it's worth by Andrew Loomis and started studying by myself several months ago. That's it. I really hope you can criticise my humble attempts and correct me throughout this long journey.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DaveGarcia; November 8th, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The charcoal sketch of the girl from behind is a good start, as for the others, I think it would be beneficial to do your studies slightly larger.

Great to see you starting up a sketchbook! If you can, I would highly recommend you attend some life drawing sessions, fantastic for learning and meeting other artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BHCS View Post
    The charcoal sketch of the girl from behind is a good start, as for the others, I think it would be beneficial to do your studies slightly larger.

Great to see you starting up a sketchbook! If you can, I would highly recommend you attend some life drawing sessions, fantastic for learning and meeting other artists.
    Thanks a lot for answering

The problem about the girl portrait is that I used a model as a reference (photograph) and I want to be able to draw from imagination, so it doesn't have much merit : / Thanks for the advice, I'll try to make them larger once I'm confident enough (right now I'm scared and my lines are shaky and awful).

As for the classes...good god that would scare me to death. I haven't ever studied art or anything related to it XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last two look really good! I think you should definitely start by working from reference - it's definitely important to work from imagination too, but i would say working from reference is SO important in the beginning and you build up your knowledge of how the body looks, works, twists, etc. Then you can take bits of what you learned from reference and put it in your drawings from imagination. (:

And you can find art classes for beginners! I took one at the art museum close to me, once a week we would go and sit in one of the galleries and draw something there. Very low stress, no homework, it was a lot of fun. I would recommend looking into it! Keep it up!

"the world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - w.b. yeats

sketchbook. comments/advice appreciated (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by neonndreams View Post
    The last two look really good! I think you should definitely start by working from reference - it's definitely important to work from imagination too, but i would say working from reference is SO important in the beginning and you build up your knowledge of how the body looks, works, twists, etc. Then you can take bits of what you learned from reference and put it in your drawings from imagination. (:

And you can find art classes for beginners! I took one at the art museum close to me, once a week we would go and sit in one of the galleries and draw something there. Very low stress, no homework, it was a lot of fun. I would recommend looking into it! Keep it up!
    Thanks for encouraging! I need to stop being such a pussy and try to look for a class, obviously a BEGINNERS class and yes, you're right. I've just finished my Literature essay and gonna try to sketch by using references (just looking at them for a minute or so). Let's see what happens =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches on human figure. Just used reference for a couple of them, still trying to create the form without looking at anything. Tomorrow I'll try to use both techniques, looking at the reference for just half a minute and then trying to draw it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches on the human figure. I used some references this time but no in the usual way. I just looked at them for 30 seconds in order to get the basic shape and changed their pose as I drew. As neonndreams said, this is better than just trying to imagine the whole image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've decided that I want to try to be (obviously, someday in the future) a conceptual illustrator, I love concept design, I think it wonderful and beautiful. I know I've got such a long path ahead, but I am determined.

Although I'm studying English Language at the moment, I've divided my days so that I can study and "study" drawing as well, at least 2 or 3 hours a day. I'm following Andrew Loomis for human figure and head, and Perspective Made Easy for foreshortening, environment and stuff. looking forward to keep posting here!

Here are some sketches on human heads

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that's great that you're reading Loomis; it's a great place for a figurative art student to begin. Echoing the previous comments in this thread, in order to create believable images, you need to study and understand how the world around you works. Study Loomis, study photo refs, and don't forget that you can use yourself as a resource as well. Draw your face, your hands, your feet, find a full-length mirror if you can and draw yourself drawing, whatever. I would also like to recommend drawing everyday objects from life - that will push your ability to observe and recreate a variety of 3-dimensional shapes in perspective. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Hey, that's great that you're reading Loomis; it's a great place for a figurative art student to begin. Echoing the previous comments in this thread, in order to create believable images, you need to study and understand how the world around you works. Study Loomis, study photo refs, and don't forget that you can use yourself as a resource as well. Draw your face, your hands, your feet, find a full-length mirror if you can and draw yourself drawing, whatever. I would also like to recommend drawing everyday objects from life - that will push your ability to observe and recreate a variety of 3-dimensional shapes in perspective. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks a lot for answering and the encouragement My biggest problem lies on the fact that I can't study art in a academy because of my studying another degree at university (which doesn't have anything to do with drawing). I'm such a beginner and some concepts are hard for me to understand. For instance, trying to memorise anatomy bones and muscles is driving me crazy lol

I'll try to upload more drawings asap, once I've finished some papers for uni

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat, I answered to your comment but it says my message needs to be aproved, I don't know why it lasts that much time. Anyways, thanks a lot for the encouragement, I'll try my best in order to learn how the world works, it fascinates me =)

Here are some more sketches from imagination on heads and figure, I started the chapter where Loomis talks about planes, I do understand that everything is made of planes but can't really understand how light affects them, I need to study hard : /

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dave, A great start to a sketchbook, now the real challenge is keeping up with your studies. Loomis is a great place to start for any artist. Don't get discouraged and just keep up the studies! You'll do great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for your words, I'll try MY BEST, whatever it takes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGarcia View Post
    Dierat, I answered to your comment but it says my message needs to be aproved, I don't know why it lasts that much time.
    I think that only happens to members with under 10 posts; it's something new they started doing last year because we have a lot of spam on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGarcia View Post
    I started the chapter where Loomis talks about planes, I do understand that everything is made of planes but can't really understand how light affects them
    If you don't understand how something works, try recreating it in real life and doing studies of it to try and understand it. For example, you could make paper cubes, paper cylinders, paper hexagons, etc, set them up with a lamp and see how the light affects them. Turn them, flip them, move the light, add a second light, etc, and see what happens.

The short version is: if the light is aiming directly at a plane (as in, the ray of light and the plane are perpendicular to each other), that will be the lightest plane on the object. As the planes turn away from the light, they become dimmer.

Dave's Sketchbook, learning to learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat, I'll keep on asnwering without quoting until I reach those 10 messages so that I've got no problem Thank you for the explanation, I'm about to finish a literature essay. Once I've done I'll fling myself into light and planes again =) Let's see whether I can get the hang of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dave, welcome to CA! High five for English majors doing art on the side, I'm in the same boat.

http://www.floobynooby.com/ICG/artvalues.html I found this link very helpful in understanding light/colour but there is a lot of information there. It's sort of photoshop-based but much of the information is relevant regardless of the medium.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebones View Post
    Hi Dave, welcome to CA! High five for English majors doing art on the side, I'm in the same boat.

http://www.floobynooby.com/ICG/artvalues.html I found this link very helpful in understanding light/colour but there is a lot of information there. It's sort of photoshop-based but much of the information is relevant regardless of the medium.
    Hi Littlebones! =)

I'm studying this degree in Spain (currently in England as international for a year) and we've got no major-minor system there I wish I could've done that, I wouldn't suck this much at drawing by now. Anyways, I aim to work as a translator or teacher while I try to afford my studies on art. I'm glad you find literature as amazing as art, that is really beautiful (just finished an essay on The Picture of Dorian Gray, awesome rendering of the role of art in man's nature).

Ok, let's get down to it. I'm gonna read both links you guys showed me. Let's see what happens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a bad boy : / I tried to make a test from imagination but wasn't able to read and study those links so it sucks a lot, I'm just starting to see the form of things but I absolutely need to study how light affects different surfaces. Bad, bad, bad. I won't do it again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, don't be so hard on yourself. You tried something, it didn't really work out the way you had planned, but you learned from the experience so it was worth it.

At this point, my advice is to try to keep it simple and work from life. Drawing simple objects from life is a great way to train yourself while learning about how objects and shapes exist in space. Also, keep in mind that the human body is a complicated piece of machinery made up of lots of little moving parts and strange shapes. I wouldn't recommend trying to learn to draw and learn about light and learn to draw the human body all at the same time. Start simple, develop a foundation, and work your way up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man!Nice start!Keep on experimenting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat: you're right, everything we do is worth it. I wasn't focused this morning and did not really try hard. I 've been through a bad momento these days and I can tell the difference when my mind is clear and empty: all goes with the flow. I'll go back to basic shape and movement, that is dead right. Gonna do a bit right now, actually

Izene: thanks a lot man! I will

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I followed Dierat's advice and stopped trying to understand light. I need to focus on figure and its different gestures until I can easily draw every single pose (I'll try to add anatomy little by little as I draw gestures). I went too far with the first drawing, I was experimenting again with form

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More pratice on human figure, this time I went back to the basics, I'll have to forget about lighting until I kinda control figure and gesture properly. I tried to experiment a bit with form in the 1st drawing. There's much to be done yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can't possibly seriously think that this even qualifies to enter a competition of the worst sketchbook ever!?

Seriously, you have studies of people here in various postitions that I wouldn't even dare get started on yet :p

Respect for challenging your comfort zone-boundaries, you'll be awesome!
    -The drawings of the girl and the landscape are already very good looking in my opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    You can't possibly seriously think that this even qualifies to enter a competition of the worst sketchbook ever!?

Seriously, you have studies of people here in various postitions that I wouldn't even dare get started on yet :p

Respect for challenging your comfort zone-boundaries, you'll be awesome!
    -The drawings of the girl and the landscape are already very good looking in my opinion
    Thanks a lot for the encouragement lady I'm sometimes too hard on myself, you're right. Never did I think I'd try to draw those poses 1 month ago, I guess it's all about keep trying and never give up. Thanks for stopping by, that motivates me and this evening I'll try to upload something =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the visit to my SB

In case you wouldn't come back and read in my SB, here's where I find poses:
    Various images and videos (some of my more exciting are from mma-vids), and http://www.posemaniacs.com/

Looking forward to your next update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    Thanks for the visit to my SB

In case you wouldn't come back and read in my SB, here's where I find poses:
    Various images and videos (some of my more exciting are from mma-vids), and http://www.posemaniacs.com/

Looking forward to your next update!
    Thank you for the link, that one is better than artsyposes coz we can see the muscles, it is perfect actually. My next update in 5 min!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am SORRY about the quality of these scanned pages. I don't really know what happened, I think it's because I worked out and finished these while I was waiting for the shower to be empty, I was dreadfully sweating and the paper did not stand it XD

Anyways, I am very happy with these studies. Now I understand how an elbow and a forearm work and that's helped me a lot. I also uploaded one study on perspective and vanishing points. I am following Perspective Made Easy by Ernest R. Norling, it is reeally good but a bit hard for me from time to time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again, sorry about the quality of the previous ones. Here are more sketches from imagination on human figure and a pair of heads. These were done really quickly, no more than 3 min on each of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More and more studies on human figure from both observation and imagination, trying to understand how shoulders and legs work, it's been difficult, I can understand the muscles that form the legs but applying round form to the different muscles, that is driving me crazy XD Which is the best way to learn anatomy?

By the way, I've got an important question and would appreciate a lot if you could try to help me. Andrew Loomis proposes drawing arcs of movement in order to draw the different angles of joints foreshortened. I understand that the circles are drawn from the joints so that the movement is correct, but I don't know how to draw them according to a vanishing point, for instance. I'm sorry if I don't explian myself properly. This is partly the page of that explanation

http://wildeny.files.wordpress.com/2...c-movement.jpg

The problem lies on the fact that he does not explain how to draw the circles. He says those must be drawn using your eye (loose) and that is easy with a flat drawing, not with perspective and foreshortening. Any help??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2