Sketchbook: Lazy Tart's Skeeechbook - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -all around anatomy is off
    -proportions are off
    -you are jumping in to detail way to fast, you should be making sure form and values are right.
    -sarcasm doesn't translate over the internet very well

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks my friend for your nice comment and advice you have left it in my sketchbook.

you have a good studies that shown clearly in your artworks, like , light , grey-
    scale study, also anatomy .

keep it up my friend

have great moments in CA worlds

Qlotzan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you even look at the beautiful reference pic that I gave everyone to check out first?
    I jumped to details becuase I didnt want to spend eterety in just the values, I ACTUALLY HAND PICKED THEM instead of just copying from the pic WHICH MANY TIMES IN LIFE YOU CANT DO. I can agree that maybe I should have worked harder but I DISAGREE that the all around anatomy is off.
    There are two hands, good sir, one is in the forefront and the other is closer to the background mostly hidden by the first hand. This is becuase they are engaged in an act called "hand shaking". If you conceived that this whole picture was one hand, then you need to get your eyes checked. ALSO, If your going to state your argument that many people can get the picture spot on without coloring over the reference picture or taking the tones directly from the picture I beg sir please send me a link and ill gladly take note of it for future arguments. Otherwise, even on concept art I have yet to see a picture like that.
    Not to rattle on, but this exercise was to test my eyes on the accuracy it portrays to my digital canvas.
    I wasn't going to sell it and make it picture perfect. Matter of fact, if my hands are off I would like to see a sketch where you can do it better you troll..

Oh and take note of above reply
    ^^^^
    Thank you @glotzan

The link is right there, its ok to press. Any help/advice is appreciated.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KateTheTerrorist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -You're being a dick
    -You're being ignorant
    -STOP BEING A DICK
    -STOP BEING IGNORANT
    -is it your time of the month or something?
    -Not sure what "but there is two hands not one" has anything to do about anything

-"many people can get the picture spot on without coloring over the reference picture or taking the tones directly from the picture" MOST PEOPLE DO. idk wtf you are looking at that would make you think otherwise. But most people eye ball colors and value, that is how you LEARN.

-"to test my eyes on the accuracy it portrays to my digital canvas" I am pretty sure it's call LEARNING VALUE, whether or not through pencil or anything else. Not sure what your point is, everyone has to do this, so try again, better excuses plox.

-"if my hands are off I would like to see a sketch where you can do it better you troll.." Why would you need to see someone else do it?? IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THE PICTURE, ALL OF THE INFORMATION IS RIGHT THERE. Having someone else do a sketch does NOTHING, proves nothing, and has NOTHING to do with you learning or taking a crit, that you can't seem to handle.

Whether or not you think you are right, you aren't. There is a reason you want other peoples help, did you not post here hoping for help? Of course you did, or else there would be no point, you aren't good there for can't show off anything. I think the truth of the matter is that you can't take the truth. All you are doing is making excuses for yourself, just own up to the fact your are wrong, that is fine. Everyone is wrong at some point. I only want to help YOU. I have no reason to tell you lies. Yet you act like I told you something unbelievable and that I must be wrong. Well fact is I'm not wrong, everything I said is true, whether you like it or not, it is. Now either you face the fact that you did do it wrong and what I pointed out to you was in fact wrong, then you can move on and progress. Or you can say i'm wrong and not accept what I said, and NOT PROGRESS. And ignore everyone ones advice because you think everyone but you is wrong.

There are thousands of people who will stroke you but not many who will give actual crits, they are few and far between, so don't burn most of them off, or no one is going to help you.

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to agree with Diarum. The hands are off. The knuckles don't read as in the right places. Colour picking the values is useless to get values right - the little finger should be a silhouette along with most of the ring finger. Your still life of a glass is sloppy - no point in doing any exercises if that's that's the approach. If you're going to improve you're going have to learn to take criticism. There will be good and bad - learning to sort them out is a step in the right direction. One way is to go to the WIP/Critique section and see if you can give a constructive critique there - it's harder than you think, but you learn a lot about your own work at the same time.

Mentors are hard to come by, but I'll nag and expect you to do the same. SBs sort of work that way round here. You say people don't stay still - look in the mirror - there's a perfect person to practice on who won't get offended if you yell at them to stay put. Next, do still lives. Lots of them. It teaches you form and value that you can apply elsewhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you say ive got a 100 problems and don't list them right away I feel like your being a jerk.

Thank you for the advice, I can take criticism, but Black Spot actually gave me immediate feedback instead of listing problems with no basis.
    @Black Spot
    Will definitely work on that, hell, I can see my face and hands everyday
    I found a few websites that have free nudes and started to do at least 9 5min sketches of them. I think im still shakey on grey scale but I guess I have to work even harder on my values
    @Diarum
    There seemed to be some sort of misunderstanding... I get stroked all the time, kind of annoying...
    sorry for the initial attack, but when someone upsets you in something your serious about it hurts...
    Not to dramatize but thank you...
    Its up to me and you to put this behind, ill get a tougher hide this time around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup, thanks for the comment! The original pokemon were great!

Are you planing on doing five minute value studies? 5 minutes is enough to get down some nice lines and basic form, but I think that would be too fast to make an accurate value study. Make sure you work on longer stuff too, like 1-2 hours. And don't forget to apply your studies and work from imagination neither!

Now draw some stuff :/

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lets skip past the arguing and post more art shall we? O.o

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sorry

Yes its been a while, BUT Ive still been busy with my art lucky me...
    Newest to oldest Studies are oldest
    Some of the many things ive been busying myself with
    Need to do some more stuff with my tablet, its just sitting on my desk ready to break.

Attached Images Attached Images                

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah this is the art spirit . nice sketches my friend

keep it up

qlotzan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been practiciinnng still
    I wish I had a cleaner execution...now I have to break out my oils again..
    I was kind of thinking randomly here, I became a bit lazy as well.
    Left Right
    A zombie survivor... Space Pirate XD
    I decided to use a different technique and use ,omgh, less layers
    (thank you Diarum even though Im considering you my enemy for life)

Last edited by KateTheTerrorist; January 24th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    showing fail boobs to tables...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good going! I think spending a little more time on some of your drawings would be fun to you I only did 5 or 10 min sketches for months and I just recently found that spending 30-60 mins or sometimes more on a picture can be quite enjoyable too. PLUS: youll learn a ton!
    For example, that nude girl (#42, right one) isnt very refined. Maybe try and go back to that initial reference u used (i understood that there is ref for this one?^^) and first go over the biggest shapes (simplified torso and pelvis, looking for important points of the skeleton where big muscles connect to, like those sharp points on the front part of the pelvis!) and then spend time on the form (described by how the form shadows fall).
    1 big shapes
    2 important skeletal points
    3 form

It looks to me that you actually started with big shapes and relationships (i think i see some construction lines?). They look a little rushed tho, so give them some love

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with KingElvis
    Also remember that you can do studies that are in correlation with your painting like anatomy, the pose(s), clothing, and other stuff. The anatomy of the pirate/zombie is off, the body is squished, and the head is deformed. And don't give me that BS that "this is my style" because if you believe that you are lying to yourself. I Zombie survivor I can kinda see, but the Space pirate doesn't read as such, looks like a shit fantasy warrior with a life jacket on. Just think before you actually put the piece together, that way it won't take as much time, and you learn a whole lot more.

Laziness is a state of mind, trust me I know because I still battle with it ALL THE TIME. Might not be the same for you but if I just start drawing it normally leads to being less lazy. You might be different though so idk...lol.
    Who needs friends when you have an enemy like me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate that shit where people say "its my style";so no, its not my style.

I knew the head was off, I was going for a simpler way to paint, so that lamely excuses the proportion issues. The shirt is off his shoulder and THE SPACE LIFE JACKET IS COOL, THIS IS WHATS GOING TO SEND ME TO THE COOL KIDS TABLE!!!

Painting apples, its not finished, ima do an orange later today.
    Those bodys are what I do in my spare time.. they are cool as well.
    O and I did this guy, I guess i forgot to post him before

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Kate
    Perhaps you're like me and don't like scanning even a quarter of your stuff (takes a lot of precious time to), but I'd suggest getting more studies done to hone your skills. From real life as much as possible, from photos when necessary. You probably know this stuff, so get on with it !

I really enjoyed the Algebra here, and the guy seems to be in a half-boat yoga pose - kudos to that!
    Not sure if there are 100 mistakes in the handshake drawing, but notice how one hand (the right one) is much thinner than its companion, should be much wider around the base of the wrist.
    The recent stuff looks good
    Keep working on your skill
    Cheerios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe the orange could be a value study. I think a few value studies will help you with your paintings.

“To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Should I focus more on perfecting my anatomy or get more lovey dovey with perspective.
    Wanted to comment on these two earlier posts -
    First, I think perspective, at least on a fundamental level, should come before anatomy. How can you draw a proper pelvis if your struggling to draw a cube? Let alone trying to connect other bones to the pelvis and have muscles that connect to those.
    Perspective, proportion, and gesture are the best way to start out with figure drawing. As you work on those things you'll start finding places where your figures look "wrong" that's when you crack out the ol' anatomy books and start getting into the fancy stuff.

Having said that, I do think your work is at a level where anatomy is going to be more helpful than confusing. Your overall proportions are pretty good.
    And as a rule, you can never do too many perspective studies.

Some other people have been telling me to start sketching from real life (like people) but no one stands still
    I agree with this suggestion 100% I carry a sketchbook absolutely everywhere.
    My favorite place to draw is the subway, or the train station. The mall is great, soccer fields, or hockey rinks. Even if you don't make a deliberate effort to find a place to draw there's always room for little bursts here and there- waiting for someone, long lineups, airport, lunch room.
    You can draw anything that catches your eye, plants, objects, animals or people - anything.
    If people are moving, take a mental snapshot of a pose and do a quick 15- 30 second drawing of the pose. Using this initial gesture you can move on to another person, or reference the person to correct your proportions- moving right up to referencing them for finer details.
    The most I ever spend on a public sketch is 5 minuets 10 if there's a background or environment to scribble along with it.

Finally- if you have an emphatic critic from someone I recommend a brief thanks- and nothing else. No matter how much their critics might chafe - and especially if you think they're wrong. Just thanks and move on.
    If you get into a professional position with art you'll always have people telling you that your stuff is wrong, or terrible, or both. If this guy's your boss you'll need practice in saying thanks - even if the little voice in side your head only thinks of 4 letter words.
    Consider it an exercise

P.S. I like your zombie survivor - it has a Team Fortress feel to it. Maybe cuz I'm a cartoonist still think it's neat.

Happy sketching

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo my peeps.
    I wanted to do something for someone but not actually do it. In girlspeak draw the ugly thing and not send it but show it for this thing and this thing. Obviously not finished with it.
    I was very busy lately but im glad I can cram school and art together in a day. I WASN'T LAZY, finally. Im planning to redo the face on the zombie guy, since im hopefully getting better at values.
    I dont know what else to say...
    Ima try that train thing, but I dont know if im going to get away with it since the train is usually jam-packed in the morning ( have to stand) and empty sometimes in the evening (with 5 people in the car total).
    Ill try lunch if I dont get distracted by friends.

@Rhubix: Yea a month ago I started to notice my figures look sort of wrong and lately I have been focusing on using what I know of perspective to correct myself. Its paid off. There are two books on perspective I can steal from my school library for a while, I read onto one and it looks promising.
    @Wingal: THE ORANGE WAS TOO HARD!!! Ima stick to greyscale doing that...its nice and safe.

People are evil, Btw. They are the scum of the earth. The only species capable of self destruction. Scum. <<<Gordon Freeman?!?!?!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kate. Lots of pontecial here if you keep at it. You seem to be able "see" a lot better than others at your level. (rather than looking at a person but not really seeing the person and just drawing a stick man.) Hope that makes sence

Some of your your lines seems a bit scratchy and it looks like you are in a rush for everything which is very common. People see amazing artists drawing pretty fast but that comes from knowledge and experience. They can get things down fast because they know exactly what to filter out and what are the important bits. For now I would slow down a bit, maybe, and consentrate on having smooth lines that flow into each other and for things feel a little more intentional and less 'searchy'

Here is a line quality exercise that had really helped me out majorly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ9GpdjkxqY

Also check out loomis and vilppu books to keep you on track

Happy sketching!!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Whirly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice improvement. But i suggest doing more studies. Focus on anatomy, light and form. And most important. Keep pushing and never surrender! ;]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nevverrrrr!!!! Idk when my moms gonna pay the phone bill. Just letting you guys know im not dead..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea when i said value study i meant greyscale XD

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol finally.
    not feeling like posting today's sketches but here's something I finished last night
    robin the hood.
    I KNOW, i know, the sad part is, it looked better before I scanned it and resized it, AND put it next to the reference pic. Yea, but notice my effort! I tried! I really did and you know what? I learned something! and I had fun ! So i win...sort of.

and did some more work on that ugly thing.

Oh i was on the train today trying to sketch the passangers but everyone wasn't distracted so I didn't bother to sketch in a little book an acquaintance gave me at school today...
    Next time, next time....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no still lifes? wtf gtfo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great job with Robin hood study!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update
    Did Earnest Hemmingway today in school for 2 1/2 hours (not counting the time that I actually had to do school work, then it would go to about 7)
    Drew the gladiator thing today as well! (Didnt finish :o)
    OH and I drew on the train today.. I was timid at first, so I drew my hand, then I got to draw two people...they are hideous.
    Yesterday and before
    Was watching a movie so I decided to take notes....needed to study the neck, so thats what I did, also did a mini portrait
    crap
    crap
    crap
    forgot I did this uglyface thing
    Thank you Whirly I really did feel like I learned something, With this earnest sketch I wanted to go for accuracy, SO PEOPLE TELL ME WHERE I WAS OFF!!
    Diarrhea-Rum: Still lives bore the shit out of me. But I have been doing them. My goal is to actually do a nice digital painting of a still life, but Ive been occupied with perfecting bodies, so thats on hold for a while.
    Thank you everyone who critiqued my work, who spoke words of praise and other stuff, you did this, your advice helps THANK Q

Last edited by KateTheTerrorist; February 7th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, your pencil work is simply exquisite! Great forms and shapes, but you seem to be having trouble with your digital colors. You have tried using the inner colors on the scale right? The dragon looks like its using a limited range of colors, I had a hard time recognizing this and I'm still struggling with it but the gray scale is just a springboard, it can't show the same warmth and cold that colors can and as a result I've found it can be misleading when you go into it from black and white. There is allot of yellow and blue in different light sources and it really impacts the colors. Your painting certainly isn't the problem though, I think you just need to look into colors a little (I'm just going on what i see, sorry if you have already know all that ^^)

FEEL FREE TO BASH OR LIKE MY SKETCHBOOK (either or is great fer me)
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahah no I dont know any of that, I want to look into color theory some more, because I really have it down in pencil but not digitally at all. I get shy when I start painting, I think im going to try to do some photo studies first then go to still life. Life drawings scare me as well, there's so much to think about around the actual item, I get distracted and give up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.