1 year of...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 1 year of...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1 year of...

i have to make a choice between working at a supermarket for the next year and practicing my stuff when ever i can. or i actually have the option to not work and practice all i want but live at my parents and in a years time look for a job as a concept artist. im leaning towards one more than the other but maybe you guys can help me tip the scale.help me plz and thnk you!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know your skill level (your Sketchbook doesn't show any images to me for some reason), but which ever you do, don't limit yourself to just concept art, because those jobs are rare and wanted. Look all sorts of art jobs, because there's lots of different jobs that still bring experience and money to the table and are far easier to get. As for this thing itself, how good are you are motivating yourself to learn? Are you sure you actually can but all the time without job to practicing, or would it be better to work and save money (like, go to work and still live with your parents if you can save more money) and attend a school/class etc?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    could you answer as if you were in the same situation, i was wondering what others would do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take job and use the wages to obtain an education in drawing and painting on days off.

Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I had these option, I would take a part-time job and live with my parents - thereby still getting an income and being able to do a lot of studies still. Or take classes while living with my parents.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

job

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
    Take job and use the wages to obtain an education in drawing and painting on days off.
    also you do have breaks, weekends, and holidays, draw every chance you get, education isn't enough unless you have foundation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    TinyBird did answer you,kennycha. I can't find a single image you made. How is anybody going to put themselves in your situation if they don't know your skillset?

It worries me more than a bit that you removed them, but, okay... in your position, I would take a part-time job so that I wasn't totally dependent on my parents and I could afford art materials.

Having said that, the very first step towards adult independence is to take responsibility for your own decisions. Could you get to where you want to be in a year? It may take longer than you think. I'd go for part-time and give myself a safety net.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the end of the day, there’s nothing quite like training under amazing artists. There are tons of workshops you can travel to and get an extensive education in a short time.
    http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/category/learn/page/3/

Noah Bradley is of course correct, but if you have no or little income, it's close to impossible to take advantage of the above. Imagine being taught how to draw and paint kick ass characters, enviroments, vehicles etc by these amazing artists and it should make any decision easy to make.

Last edited by Charlie D; December 13th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to add that it's easy to say you're going to have all this free time and you're going do nothing but draw but that may not be as fun or as easy as you expect. A while back I was between jobs for a month and while I did do a lot more drawing than normal, it was no where near the amount I had expected. It's difficult to explain but those hours during the day that I want to draw and can't seem to feed my passion and my focus when I get a couple hours free or a day off. I'm much more productive under those circumstances than I was when I could draw whenever I wanted. Maybe the downtime is also important to absorbing what you've learned and figuring out the next move. But that's just my experience and may not apply to anyone else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to add an echo to the post above because I was in a similar situation. A year goes by much faster than you think, and even if you have the discipline to draw for 8 hours per day (like the poster above, I found that really tough to do and ended up completing far fewer finished pieces than I expected) that doesn't mean you'll have a high-level professional portfolio at the end, and if you DO have a high-level professional portfolio at the end, that still doesn't mean you'll secure a day job with it because those are in such short supply. There are many fantastic concept artists who take freelance projects where they can because they can't get a full time job, and I also agree with the person who suggested being open to other artistic jobs to get your foot in the door.

You don't want to leave yourself in a financially vulnerable situation so if you don't have any substantial savings right now I would strongly advise you to start making some! If you are happy to live with your parents that's cool (I have to be honest, after being away at college for years by myself I absolutely hated living with my parents again and was desperate to leave!). And in that case if I were you I would get a weekend job or 16-20 hour part time job. That way you have the best of both worlds - an income for learning materials and saving, and plenty of time to work on your art. It's not one thing or the other, you can easily have time for both, especially if you don't have rent to pay.

Just a little advice from someone who has been there and didn't make the best decision! I ended up having to take any job I could get because I had no money and struggled to find an art job at the end of my year despite what I felt was a strong portfolio. It sucked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanks for the replies. well first off by put your self in my situation i meant your skills as well , i did have pictures up on here but took them down for good reasons. i honestly felt more of you would pick the no job option, none of you did actually haha. and to those who suggested school, i did attend but dropped out. i was being taught what i had already learned and felt it a waste of time. thanks for the opinions everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've lived with my parents since graduating and I'm 25. I also see myself staying there for at least a few more years while I get back to practicing. I'm thinking of switching to part time to squeeze in more practice hours as well, but since I'm paying rent I can't really do so. If your family finances allow you to stay unemployed, then take that advantage. Or if you can save up for an education if you feel like you need the guidance, then consider that, too. Take whatever opportunity floats your way.

The road never ends, but you must keep walking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote is to work. Practice your craft when you can.

The supermarket job will not only keep you funded but will give you a continuing job history and keep you connected to the outside world, giving you a chance to network. Be aware of opportunities where you can use your art skills- and it may be in areas not exactly related to concept art.

You can draw for a year straight and be God of Pencils but if you don't have anyone to draw for you'll be no better off then when you typed the opening post.

"Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.