Who's the Boson?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Who's the Boson?

Back that mass up: Scientists may have answers regarding the fundamental particle of mass. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any explanation for bad puns.

http://www.nature.com/news/where-s-my-higgs-1.9609
    http://www.nature.com/news/higgs-hun...endgame-1.9399

Live webcast:

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/live.py

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh; I'd heard the search margin had been narrowed significantly, but had no idea that it lay outside of the initial parameters. Thanks for posting this.

I'm rather excited about the 125 GeV string theory prediction - imagine the LHC vindicating both Supersymmetry and String Theory in the same result ... and then again finding nothing there would be equally interesting, despite the ominous clouds of public outrage that seem ready to rain down on "nothing".

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N View Post
    I'm rather excited about the 125 GeV string theory prediction - imagine the LHC vindicating both Supersymmetry and String Theory in the same result ...
    From what I read, a Higgs boson in 125 GeV range would be really bad news for supersymmetry.

In any case, the chase has been narrowed to a really narrow band. And either that weak signal LHC got in that range works out, or not. Both will spell doom for certain theories in physics.

BTW, I had read that the Higgs theory only describes how W and Z bosons get their mass; there is no known mechanism for it to create mass for anything else. So even if it is found, the problem would be still very, very far from solved.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.