buying a laptop?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question buying a laptop?

so i'm kinda poor and my current laptop is starting to chug when working with large files. it's 1gb ram shared with the graphics card and the first gen core duo processor. i'd like to spend about 400-500 and my absolute limit is 600.

i've found the Lenovo G770 seems to be going for a good deal (i think?). it's been a while since i caught up with computer hardware. it's an i5-2410M cpu, separate graphics card, and 8gb ram, 1600x900 display. although according to this review, its contrast ratio is 150:1. this contrast ratio is new to me, but is this really a deal-breaker? because the rest of the specs seem to be the best for the money, in this price range.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I usually stand by Lenovo as even though they bought IBM's laptop division they had continued with some solid laptops.

However, their warranty support leaves much to be desired. I had purchased a G570 because I don't need a crazy processor to do regular illustrations. The video is enough and for $400 bucks this came off as a solid purchase.

The problem was the unit I bought seemed to have a sound defect that not only did other G570 owners experience but another G770 one seemed to have a problem with.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3...es_Lenovo_3000

Is Lenovo's support forums and I noticed that people are having issues with the switchable graphics. I can't say ATI has always behaved well with programs like Photoshop.

I do have the Intel 3000 HD graphics in the new replacement laptop they gave me, but I haven't tried out the illustration programs quite yet since I just received the unit yesterday after a 2 month fight with Lenovo about my original unit

http://www.amazon.com/review/R8D8X6S...MxB5JPBAATI8WS

Now saying that, I don't want to be overly bias because like I said I had Lenovo laptops before and were happy with their price. I'll also say the G series have some GREAT construction. They are well built. I don't say I can think the same of other laptops.

I thought however you should be a bit wary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I usually stand by Lenovo as even though they bought IBM's laptop division they had continued with some solid laptops.

However, their warranty support leaves much to be desired. I had purchased a G570 because I don't need a crazy processor to do regular illustrations. The video is enough and for $400 bucks this came off as a solid purchase.

The problem was the unit I bought seemed to have a sound defect that not only did other G570 owners experience but another G770 one seemed to have a problem with.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3...es_Lenovo_3000

Is Lenovo's support forums and I noticed that people are having issues with the switchable graphics. I can't say ATI has always behaved well with programs like Photoshop.

I do have the Intel 3000 HD graphics in the new replacement laptop they gave me, but I haven't tried out the illustration programs quite yet since I just received the unit yesterday after a 2 month fight with Lenovo about my original unit

http://www.amazon.com/review/R8D8X6S...MxB5JPBAATI8WS

Now saying that, I don't want to be overly bias because like I said I had Lenovo laptops before and were happy with their price. I'll also say the G series have some GREAT construction. They are well built. I don't say I can think the same of other laptops.

I thought however you should be a bit wary.
    ouch. sad to hear that. hope all is well now.

is there any word on whether the sound issue was a software/driver problem, or a hardware defect?

i use Linux on all my machines, and the OS always takes care of any driver headaches etc by itself. if you haven't already, it might be worth installing the latest Ubuntu to see if it's a problem with the Windows driver/OS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got another laptop and it doesn't have this problem. I asked for a different model of the same line. I'm not sure if it's a software issue - even though 9 times out of 10 it usually is, because other people with the same unit didn't have this problem.

However, since I got the icore3 of the same model I didn't have the issue. I'm quite happy with it. http://amzn.com/B005NHP0BY I requested this model once their Customer Relations team got involved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I got another laptop and it doesn't have this problem. I asked for a different model of the same line. I'm not sure if it's a software issue - even though 9 times out of 10 it usually is, because other people with the same unit didn't have this problem.

However, since I got the icore3 of the same model I didn't have the issue. I'm quite happy with it. http://amzn.com/B005NHP0BY I requested this model once their Customer Relations team got involved.
    does the 1366x768 screen give you enough space to work, especially when painting a piece in portrait? my current lappy is 1280x800 and i find the tools and menus can get a bit clunky.

i'm even starting to wonder if it's worth waiting until 1920x1080 screens start coming with laptops in my budget...

there's always the external monitor solution, but my room is kinda small for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by heminder View Post
    does the 1366x768 screen give you enough space to work, especially when painting a piece in portrait? my current lappy is 1280x800 and i find the tools and menus can get a bit clunky.

i'm even starting to wonder if it's worth waiting until 1920x1080 screens start coming with laptops in my budget...

there's always the external monitor solution, but my room is kinda small for that.
    Even at 20 inches I never have enough space to work

As far as that goes, yes it's harder to work at the resolution. However, 1920x1080 laptops would mean a larger screen, they should be at 20 inches or higher because a higher resolution doesn't equate to as much space as a larger screen does.

I would advise getting a monitor for more space, and yes I know you said space is limited, but it's a much better solution than waiting around for that resolution because it's still gonna be small for a laptop.

Other advice I can give you is learn the shortcut keys for fullscreen mode. Which is usually TAB. That is good for when you are going to stick with a certain brush when sketching or inking and you can either use the bracket keys, or other shortcuts (I use the ctrl+alt and drag to resize the size of my brush in Painter) to change the size of the brush.

I really never found laptops ideal for doing finished work without at least a second monitor so I can have the screen real estate. Even with my regular desktop I tend to use a 2nd monitor for efficiency.

One other thing I'd like to mention is that laptops and even tablet pcs/slates, I've found not so great when it comes to color accuracy, so it's another reason to get a monitor to check your work.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; December 17th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can replace it with new generation processors like Intel i4 or AMD just only to pay 300-400 pounds and you will get better comparison than others.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.