What is your opinion on hyperrealism?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

What is your opinion on hyperrealism?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So realistic that it looks like he doesn't compensate for the perspective distortion that his camera creates?

Third image.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeston View Post
    So realistic that it looks like he doesn't compensate for the perspective distortion that his camera creates?

Third image.
    ROFL

Well noticed. That about sums most of "hyperrealism" up.

Thanks
    bleugh. the only interest in these would be in the photo as well, and they're not very interesting photos.

Thanks
    I've never understood the point of it to be honest. It's not nice to look at, and it's not artistic in the least. Slavishly copying every detail, adding no personal touch at all. Bleh. Just my opinion!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    I once trod in some.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    They leave the same impression the photos would leave on me. Not much of one.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,791 Times in 1,165 Posts
    I find hyper-realism more interesting when not done after photos, but after life - like this cut-up melon.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I have no opinion against it.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    http://jeremygeddesart.blogspot.com/ is it hyper-real ? dont know, but if the artist want to do a great piece using his abstraction power to do something more than a just copy.. wow its great, its about control and how you understand the world, your eyes and etc..

3__3 I dont know if my monkey english make clear what I think... D:

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

MY_SKETCHBOOK

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fernteixeira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very skillfull and impressive to say the least, but I can't see why anybody would want limit themselves to realism

My Sketch Book: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3085866

Please comment+critique

Thanks
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 753 Posts

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    I had a professor at a community college who was a photo realistic painter. The detail was astounding. Various sizes, but he did seem to have the same bland taste in the subject matter. Like one was a gas pump.

Although he did shift around the hue in some of them while keeping it realistic.

Eh you don't get the feel as well through the internet. Seeing a giant canvas over 6 ft tall where it's still hard to distinguish it being done with brush strokes I found astounding.

Thanks
    I tend to see this kind of art as a way for painters to talk back at the camera.

But beyond that, I think it takes the subject matter of the photograph into another realm. Camera pictures being everywhere; magazines, television, ads, the internet... we don't pay much attention to 95% of them. But like JFierce said, walking by a gallery and seeing a giant photorealistic image painted on canvas really ought to catch your eye. So when a guy like Denis Peterson reproduces a horse race photograph with paints what he does is allow that image to be given fresher attention through a medium which is less crowded with similar imagery.

Gottfried Helnwein

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sure its technically impressive, but its not discernible from a photo. Part of the beauty and soul of art is that the viewer needs to know or hinted at that they're looking at a painting/drawing. A few things give it away like brushstrokes, which come to mind firstly, since these paintings obviously lack. That tension between the mind interpreting the subject as a real object and having enough artistic freedom thereby reminding you its a drawing is a pleasing and expressive effect. There arent any here, so the artistic merit lies elsewhere.
    Even as subjects themselves, these are pretty dull compositions. And thats where a creative artist not bound by rigid technique would compensate for.
    But if technical stuff 'moves' you then more power to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    I find hyper-realism more interesting when not done after photos, but after life - like this cut-up melon.

I always wonder how they do this, considering that the painting surely takes hours or days to complete, and the subject matter will not stay fresh.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    blogmatix...you'd cut up another melon...

The first reply by Beeston about lens distortion was right on the money. Further, the fact that light values are blown out to white - the horse race is a great example...cloudy heavy downpour kind of day but the photo was exposed for the dark flanks of the horses...I mean, that's a muddy racetrack...and it's white?

Same issue with the painting SoufMeng posted...exposed for the sky...all those shadows yet no ambient sky light illuminating them? Your eyes would see it...but not the camera.

I'm completely in agreement with Lord M...high level realism, from life, is really inspirational...from photos? Offensive.

Last edited by JeffX99; December 12th, 2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typos
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post

The first reply by Beeston about lens diastortion was right on the money. Further, th efact that light values are blown out to white - the horse race is a great example...cloudy heavy downpour kind of day but the photo was exposed for the dark flanks of the horses...I mean, that's a muddy racetrack...and it's white?

Same issue with the painting SoufMeng posted...exposed for the sky...all those shadows yet no ambint sky light illuminating them? Your eyes would see it...but not the camera.

I'm completely in agreement with Lord M...high level realism, from life, is really inspirational...from photos? Offensive.
    Idk I could see that happening with the racetrack, it "could" be a "fresh" track so it wouldn't be messed up and really muddy. But what the hell do I know.

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    The first reply by Beeston about lens diastortion was right on the money. Further, th efact that light values are blown out to white - the horse race is a great example...cloudy heavy downpour kind of day but the photo was exposed for the dark flanks of the horses...I mean, that's a muddy racetrack...and it's white?

Same issue with the painting SoufMeng posted...exposed for the sky...all those shadows yet no ambint sky light illuminating them? Your eyes would see it...but not the camera.
    That's actually the point, although it's often lost on the average viewer (and, to be fair, many of the below-average practitioners). Same with the mundane subject matter. Photorealism, despite surface similarities, is an outgrowth of Pop, not the mainstream representational tradition. It's also an artform that loses almost all of its impact in reproduction.
    It's a movement that has to be appreciated in the context of its time. I find most contemporary Photorealism as interesting or relevant as most contemporary impressionism.

Last edited by Elwell; December 12th, 2011 at 07:52 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I find most contemporary Photorealism as interesting or relevant as most contemporary impressionism.
    .....?

Thanks
    In other words, boring decorative painting that appropriates the surface qualities of a historical movement without knowing or caring about the historical context. Pastiche is only interesting to the extent that it's unsuccessful. What was good about neoclassicism was the neo.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks

Same issue with the painting SoufMeng posted...exposed for the sky...all those shadows yet no ambint sky light illuminating them?Your eyes would see it...but not the camera.

Your eyes would see it but not the camera: The horse race painting is also about all that the camera can see but that your eyes couldn't. As soon as a photograph freezes a moment of reality, that lasted but a second for you to look at for hours, representing that photograph with paints is as close a you get to drawing from life such a transient moment. Mind you I *love* me some Stampede by Frederic Remington but different games>different rules>different wins...

Last edited by SM; December 12th, 2011 at 08:49 AM.

Thanks
    To expand on Noah's post, while Hyperrealism was originally coined as a synonym for Photorealism, and while most (but not all) hyper-realists use photographs in their process, not all hyperrealism is photorealism.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In other words, boring decorative painting that appropriates the surface qualities of a historical movement without knowing or caring about the historical context. Pastiche is only interesting to the extent that it's unsuccessful. What was good about neoclassicism was the neo.
    But photorealism is entirely about surfaces. As is all of Pop Art.
    Therefore, contemporary photorealism is completely consistent with the original philosophy, whether it is understood by the practitioner or not.

Surfaces that copy surfaces.
    It is Pastiche of Pastiche.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    I knew if I waited Elwell of someone would get to the bottom of this. Photorealism as an extension of Pop was all about the photo. I had a teacher who was actually a part of the Photorealist thing. The paintings looked photographic from about 15 feet and beyond but when close they looked like swirls, dashes and dots of airbrush. Dead surface but it was never about that.

People who do the photorealist thing now are just showing off for the most part. Although there are few who provide a twist and intrigue me.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,158 Times in 1,706 Posts
    The conceptualist point or conceit of hyperrealist work only had to be made once in terms of aesthetic philosophy. It's a sociological one-liner, more or less. Restating this same point over and over again in new works is of no value (or of decreasing value the more it is stated). So the value of hyperrealist work started being more about the rendering/showing off than the conceptual point almost from the beginning. The cultural point it made concrete was of real market value only during its initial dissemination period. From then on it was just the cleverest way to market more banal realism.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    To expand on Noah's post, while Hyperrealism was originally coined as a synonym for Photorealism, and while most (but not all) hyper-realists use photographs in their process, not all hyperrealism is photorealism.
    I have never been too clear on what exactly the difference between the two is.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    That's actually the point,...
    Oh, I totallyunderstand the point, and that's a good observation that really it grew out of Pop...I just don't think much of the point.

Edit: Lack of facility/technique + lack of statement + lack of truth = lack of art. To me.

Last edited by JeffX99; December 12th, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

41. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis.k View Post
    I find imaginative realism more interesting.
    I agree, while hyperrealism is impressive, I enjoy works like this more:

Joshua LaRock

Name:  Waiting to Cross zoom-filtered.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  207.3 KB

Last edited by FlameDragon; December 13th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlameDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What genre would this guys work fall in?
    http://www.mihanovic.com/home.html

'back home, he gets talked about as hyper-realist?
    I gather he doesn't work with photos though, just pushes the realism of what he puts together.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3