Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 24HD Now or Later?

Thanks

24HD Now or Later?

I've never followed Wacom or their products, or even used a tablet in my life, but I've been drawing and designing my whole life. It's natural to me, so I feel I shouldn't sell myself short and buy a lesser than awesome tablet.

So I've been researching the 24HD for a month now. I want it!

However, I know there are some problems (art pen, thick screen, light output)

Do you think Wacom has plans to release an updated 24HD within the next 6-8 months, or should I just order one now because it would be longer than that?

So should I go ahead and order, or wait and see.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billakong View Post
    Do you think Wacom has plans to release an updated 24HD within the next 6-8 months, or should I just order one now because it would be longer than that?
    Given their track record (where they don't update anything for years).... No. I don't think they will update the 24HD any time soon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah that's exactly what I wanted to know, thank you so much! Since I haven't even used a tablet.. not having the Art Pen shouldn't be a big deal I imagine. They should be able to fix that though right?

Thanks
    According to this blog post from another CA member, Wacom is working on the Art Pen.

http://managingcolors.blogspot.com/2...n-problem.html

I've never used the Art Pen and I've loved every Wacom tablet I've had for the past decade and I totally love my new Cintiq. If you want it, get it. This sucker feels like a major overhaul that they'll stick with for a while. I've no inside info though. Basically I'm just echoing fes's response

Cheers
    Twitter: barrymcw

Sketchblog (Mostly the same content as here): SketchyRobots

7. The Following User Says Thank You to barrymcw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barrymcw View Post
    According to this blog post from another CA member, Wacom is working on the Art Pen.

http://managingcolors.blogspot.com/2...n-problem.html

I've never used the Art Pen and I've loved every Wacom tablet I've had for the past decade and I totally love my new Cintiq. If you want it, get it. This sucker feels like a major overhaul that they'll stick with for a while. I've no inside info though. Basically I'm just echoing fes's response

Cheers
    Thanks! Your responses are very helpful, and yes I want it soo bad. I am dying to paint in photoshop with a pen in my hand!!

Next, a Keurig Coffee Maker! (if you haven't seen one.. they're magic)

Thanks
    I really hoped they'd have the gesture capabilities like the bamboo create, but I'll take it!
    www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billakong View Post
    I've never followed Wacom or their products, or even used a tablet in my life, but I've been drawing and designing my whole life. It's natural to me, so I feel I shouldn't sell myself short and buy a lesser than awesome tablet.

So I've been researching the 24HD for a month now. I want it!

However, I know there are some problems (art pen, thick screen, light output)

So should I go ahead and order, or wait and see.
    The Cintiq 24HD is the cream de crop of tablets. If you have alot of free time and money is no object then by all means go for it. But for your very first tablet......I would highly advise against it. Most artists work their way up, from Bamboo/Tablet PC to Intuos and then to Cintiq. Much like how if someones's taking Swiming lessons, they start in the shallow end, not the deep end. The Cintiq 24 HD....IS THE DEEPEST END.

Not all artists like using tablets, the medium transference from Analog to Digital is sometimes....not whats expected. Most of the used Cintiqs you find on Ebay are buyers who found their either didn't care for the experience, or didn't really use it enough to justify the price and space it takes up.

I would recommend you start out with an Intuos4 Medium first, or if you really need to on-screen approach, you can pick up some decent tablet PCs under the $500 range on ebay.

But if you want to take the plunge...."art pen, thick screen, light output"

This is your First Tablet........Those issue won't matter to you at all.

and it would be very unlikely for Wacom to release a new Cintiq 24 update anytime soon. If anything, since the thing is eternally out of stock...If you order it now, it may very well take 3-6 months to get it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Apparently the Art Pen problem with the 24 HD is not universal. I know one person in the US who bought one early on and his works perfectly with the Art Pen.
    I am not saying there aren't problems or that it works with all or most, just saying that I know of one that does work just fine.

Thanks
    a working art pen is news to me. the eur wacom site had several testers verify it wasnt working. must be those dang Europeans =P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    Much like how if someones's taking Swiming lessons, they start in the shallow end, not the deep end. The Cintiq 24 HD....IS THE DEEPEST END.
    When you're taking swimming lessons, you are trying to learn the skill of swimming. I'm not trying to learn how to draw, and I have a fairly strong understanding of painting in photoshop already, I did it for years with a mouse, I hate the mouse!

I draw all the time, everyday. If my scanner wasn't possessed, my sketchbook would be a LOT bigger (another reason I want a tablet, draw in PS, no scanning!). I will not be wasting this product, whether I make profit off my art or I use it for personal use.

So.. I just feel like I'm ripping myself off by not getting myself the best. It would be like getting an older version of photoshop (almost).

PLUS I will be finishing my school with game design, graphic design, illustration, or some form of digital media. I have a feeling I'd use the 24HD in my studies, and have a huge edge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangum View Post
    a working art pen is news to me. the eur wacom site had several testers verify it wasnt working. must be those dang Europeans =P
    I am the author of the http://managingcolors.blogspot.com/ blog. I am talking in this days directly with the Technical Support Supervisor. I know for sure that Wacom knows that the ArtPen has problems. This problems are diffused and are not related to a particular Cintiq 24HD or a particular ArtPen. The problems are related to all the Cintiq 24HD and ArtPens (working together). Otherwise Wacom would have replaced all the defective units!
    Please notice that I own one Cintiq 24HD in Roma, Italy and the other one in Miami. I had experiences with both customer supports, and I know for sure that in Europe there are no real technicians, just people that report problem to the USA.

I really hope that this problem is driver related, but I suspect that is not (I have tested different drivers, also the 6.20 that now have been removed for reasons that I don’t know, both on Mac and Windows 7).

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiaP View Post
    Apparently the Art Pen problem with the 24 HD is not universal. I know one person in the US who bought one early on and his works perfectly with the Art Pen.
    I am not saying there aren't problems or that it works with all or most, just saying that I know of one that does work just fine.
    This is the first person that I know that reports that the ArtPen is working fine. I have tested 3 Cintiq 24HD and none of them was working correctly. I have also tested 3 different ArtPens. Can you please send me a PM with the email of the person that has a Cintiq 24HD working with the ArtPen?

I had reports from more than 10 Cintiq 24HD users that own the ArtPen and all of them are experiencing the same problem.

Thanks
    I am not trying to say (as I said clearly in my original post) that there is not a problem or that anyone is wrong. All I was saying was that I know of one that works just fine.
    I am not going to name the person here without his permission but I will ask him if he will come to this forum and let you know I'm not crazy.

My point was that if one works there are probably more out there that work too.

Thanks
    Maybe you don't understand how important is for me and other users to know if there are working Cintiq 24HD out there. All users that asked for information were told that Wacom is working on a solution and that all the units have the same problem. This is why we don't get a new Cintiq 24HD or a replacement unit. Otherwise Wacom should send us a working unit.

I have confirmation from different people in Wacom that this problem is not related to specific defective units, but is common to all Cintiq 24HD.

If a single user is reporting that he/she has no problems with the Cintiq 24HD and the ArtPen this means that other units are defective and need to be changed. At the moment there are 12 people that asked me to give them email updates on this topic.

I have tested the Cintiq 24HD on almost 10 different computer configurations and never find a working one. I can understand that you don't want to give personal information without asking, but I am sure that the person that we are talking about will early understand how important is for me and other users this news that you gave us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast