Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: "Fighter" work in progress step by step

Threaded View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Fighter" work in progress step by step

HI,

this is step by step of my illustration "Fighter". It's one of my favourite illustrations, and also one that open the doors of Wizards of the Coast for me.

Illustrations is 50 x 40 cm, made in ecoline (water based liqid colors) and gouache on paper. The most of the illustration is painted in ecoline, and gouache is just for highlights. Paper is Fabriano artistico 300 g/m2.

Here is step by step process.

step 1. drawing and composition. Paper is already streched on a wooden board. This is important cause at the end after a lot of damping paper and work in wet technique paper will be completely flat.

step 2. more detailed drawing

step 3. inked drawing

step 4. first washes wet in wet. I use 10 cm vide brush for damping the complete surface of the paper, and splashing a lot of colors with big watercolor brushes.

step 5. I wasn't satisfied with washes so I put another wash

step 6. third wash - this time the masses of color are right and I can procede to paint character in next step

step 7. first block of colors on the character's armor. In process of blocking colors it's important to paint volume (shadows and lights on the surface).

step 8. blocking part of armor and equipment, and adding texture

step 9. painting face and blocking local colors ona last parts of equipment

step 10. adding texture and painting details, work on scale mail and chainmail, adding highlights on some parts

step 11. polishing deatils, adding some more texture and final details

step 12. legs are a bit slim so I paint them little wider, some final highlighting and softening edges with dry brush. When illustration is finished I cut it out from the board.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MCeran For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Members who have read this thread: 1