Drawing that is giving me the most trouble

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing that is giving me the most trouble

Hey Conceptart.org. My pen name is Thadas Andarys and I am a 22 year old college student who likes to draw people. Never really had much art class. Been focused on getting my Associate's Degree. Originally, this was supposed to be just some practice with heads then it turned into well...this. It's something I want to color but needs a lot of work. I realize I made a lot of boo boos with not using reference but at least I might get it in a new drawing. Maybe I can salvage this? Don't know. I've identified a few things that most definitely need fixing but I need fresh eyes to analyze it. I did this little doodle waiting around in the lounge out of boredom after nearly four months of not drawing a thing.

THINGS THAT NEED FIXING:

1. The legs of Nate (the guy) and possibly the leg of Meridiana (the girl). Wish I had my anatomy books so I can add some definition, but that right leg is bothering me. I'd lower the knee, but I have some trouble with trying to get it to look right in sketch-overs.

2. A friend commented on her chest. He said "Why does she look like she has pecks?". Kind of hard to draw breasts when they are mostly masked, but has a very valid point.

3. Hands. I don't know why, but they always look...off to me. Think they need fixing? Anyway to make them look more natural?

4. Is it just me, or does Nate's face look Neanderthal-ish?

5. The feet are just little sketches mainly because I don't want to go into detail without having the preliminary sketch look right. Even with the sketch, they still don't look right.

Anything else needs fixing? Maybe fix Nate's eyebrows a bit? Add Meridiana's right hand to make it look like she's touching Nate's right pectoral muscles?

Alas, here is my doodle. Though I do love me some constructive criticism, do not let my feelings get in the way of your advice. I need it for this. I had a friend who promised to do a sketch-over of what needed fixing, but I haven't heard from him in a while, which makes me sad...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no good at sketchovers and even worse with the human figure. Nice doodle though. But there are areas that stand out to me as needing work.

The guy's right leg (his left) gets too small below the knee which makes the foot look tiny. His forehead looks like it's sloping too far back from his eyebrows which is what might be creating the neanderthal look and his right hand and arm (his left) are hidden too much behind his leg (though thats possibly personal preference and not necessarily a problem).

The girl needs bigger breasts - they really do look like pecs from here - and her ribcage looks a bit odd and twisted.

Maybe draw her body separate from the guy so you can get her angles figured out without his body getting in the way? And also maybe draw the guy without his socks because they're covering his feet and stopping you from getting the angles right on his toes/ankles etc. What about sitting cross legged in front of a mirror and drawing your guy from yourself?

Anyway, just some thoughts and suggestions. I hope they help a little.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Candra H said realy, and a few little other things

Name:  Untitled-1 copy.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  147.3 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DStraX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    what's stopping from shooting reference? It'll turn out better and you'll likely learn a few things along the way. just take a bunch of pics of you in the same poses, toss a white overlay on top of your prelim here and sketch in your corrections.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your help, guys! Looks like it does need to be redrawn, mainly to apply Candra H's corrections. The sketch-over is lovely though. I'll start applying those corrections right away. I wish I had a mirror in which I can use to make reference, but sadly I don't. Sucks...

PS: Edited with DStrax's corrections. Going to do a paint over of Nate's head next and maybe draw Meridiana and Nate separately. I'd draw maybe my other character, Eva, but she's be hard to draw as she has bio-mechanical arms and legs.

Last edited by Thadas; December 9th, 2011 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't even think about doing something like this without reference. Take Jason's advice. Everything is just wonked out right now...foreshortening, proportion, anatomy...and will be until you use reference or have spent 20 years working from the figure. And for the love of all things holy...why does he have a va-jay-jay?

Anyway, yeah, right now it's just all individual bits and limbs that are not working together.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    I wouldn't even think about doing something like this without reference. Take Jason's advice. Everything is just wonked out right now...foreshortening, proportion, anatomy...and will be until you use reference or have spent 20 years working from the figure. And for the love of all things holy...why does he have a va-jay-jay?

Anyway, yeah, right now it's just all individual bits and limbs that are not working together.
    Looks like a done goofed...big time.

I wish I had a reference for something like this. Wish I had Poser for this sort of thing...

Well, I did redo the head, but yeah, when everything is just wonky there's not much point in continuing. I do plan on drawing the ear but it's a bit hard from this angle.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do you not have a digital camera, or a friend with one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No. I can't afford a lot of luxury items save for Christmas time, and I already have a few things on my list. And my friends don't have cameras. I believe my parents do, though, but it'll be a while until I see them again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work on construction and understanding the anatomical construction...you're just kind of guessing at things is part of the problem. That jaw is 30% too long/far back...the eyes are too small by 20% and are kind of caved in.

And no, Poser is the wrong idea...it won't do you any good if you don't understand how to interepret its horrifyingly bad badness.

Edit: Just get a couple friends to take the pose for you...that is the real answer.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see. Thank you for your input. Looking for some references, but I do have a question: is the "Drawing the Human Figure From Your Mind" by Riven Phoenix series of videos, specifically the 101 course, worth it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure thing man - don't get discouraged - you actually show some potential so just work hard on your fundamentals. You're pretty far ahead of where I was at 22 as far as drawing goes. I don't know about that series so no opinion. Others may be familiar with it and can offer insight.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thadas View Post
    but I do have a question: is the "Drawing the Human Figure From Your Mind" by Riven Phoenix series of videos, specifically the 101 course, worth it?
    Well, you might want to read through this thread and decide: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228959

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought the Riven Phoenix videos, and personally found them waaaay to meticulous .. but you might be into that

But I would recommend Drawing from life. See if there is a life-drawing class where you live, or get some friends together and draw etch other. Get some anatomy books, an books on how to draw people, Loomis and bridgeman are good ones, and you can download them for free. I personally like Atlas of human anatomy for the artist By Stephen rogers peck as well.

and you can use the internet for refs, here's some links
    http://mmaphotography.com/m/main.php
    http://www.kindgirls.com/
    http://artsyposes.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=307BGFPYDCA

Just be creative You'll figure it out, ITs a good idea to get a digital cam, even if its just a cheap point and shoot. you dont need 14 megapixels and 1100000 settings for anatomy refs

Btw, my paintover was just to give you an idea of some of the errors, its not a perfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude's face looks neanderthalish for a few reasons: The bold hair outline reads as his forehead edge, making it much too slanted. That coupled with the placement of his eyebrows gives him a VERY prominent brow ridge. The full lips with that type of nose doesn't closely match any ethnicity I can imagine off the top of my head. Lastly, the ratio of face size to head size is too large. Homo sapiens have a larger, flatter forehead compared to Homo neanderthalensis. Looking up photos of the skulls of each will give you the best idea.

Allow me to echo everyone's sentiments about using references. Even drawing in front of a large mirror will do wonders. In fact, a cell phone camera will do the job just fine - you're using the photos for the anatomy, not for the details anyway.

Dude's left leg looks plenty uncomfortable. Chick is leaning on him, he is leaning forward. All that weight is in his left elbow and is driving into his elevated thigh. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be able to -or want to - keep that leg raised as such.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.