Cityscapes and Buildings in Comics
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cityscapes and Buildings in Comics

I'm always wowed by the detail and perspective of the backgrounds in Batman comics, Spiderman comics, basically anything based in a dark and gritty city. I know that some backgrounds are more abstract than others (which mine completely are, because I'm terrible at city backgrounds. 8D) But most of them are gorgeous.

When I draw buildings, I get hung up on tiny details and I don't leave enough to the imagination, get frustrated, and it takes me a long time to complete it. What is your preferred happy medium between abstract and real when drawing background buildings, if there even is such a thing? I personally like the ridiculously detailed ones I see in a lot of comics today. I want to be a comic book artist, and it's always something I struggled with.

Also, a picture would have to be in the public domain for me to be able to use it as a reference in the background, correct? Unless I went up to the building and took it myself. Is there any book or site available with lots of nice cityscapes for reference?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any photography book that has the name of a city as title is filled with photographs of said city which you can use as reference I'm sure :V
    Note I say reference.

Also you can look up pictures in flickr, there are a lot of groups about architecture, here are a few.
    Industrial Landscapes
    CityScape
    Architecture du Québec

There are many more, you just have to look them up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what IndyScribbable is actually asking us about is our thoughts on abstracting complex backgrounds like cityscapes rather than creating them.

Anyway, this topic actually really caught my eye as I find myself drawing cityscapes pretty often and, like IndyScribbable, often want to find a stylish way to abstract them as I develop my own style. So far, I haven't had any great epiphanies, but I do find myself looking at some of my favorite artists to see how they tackle this exact issue. Right now, I'm really into the work of Sean Gordon Murphy and Marcelo Frussin (both of Hellblazer fame) and find myself learning a lot about how to use blacks to their utmost potential... that's just two artists though-- there's still a lot more artists I want to check out with this issue in mind.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sanya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cityscapes always amaze me.

Whether it be those that just with color and not even any lines yet have so much information to the viewer.

Or the classics that just have such precise line use.

The biggest thing is just the accurate perspective use and often such dynamic angles. Still something I need to learn for my comics even if I'm not doing cities yet. But it's quite a feat.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    I think what IndyScribbable is actually asking us about is our thoughts on abstracting complex backgrounds like cityscapes rather than creating them.
    Oh I'm sorry. I got confused with the last paragraph there then :U

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Mama View Post
    Oh I'm sorry. I got confused with the last paragraph there then :U
    Oh, actually I was asking both, but thank you!

Cityscapes are so fascinating to me, even while actually *being* in a city. Again, I'm not so great with buildings and I don't have the patience, but I really want to come up with my own happy medium so that I can get the gist and theme and mood of what I want to show to the viewer, while still retaining my sanity. XD I have utmost respect for the gorgeous backgrounds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many mangas, which won't be imported to the stateside for many reasons, do have stunning cityscape drawings. In fact, there are assistants who draw nothing but the backgrounds.

peter-choi.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Manga's I sometimes have issue with as some don't draw them fully themselves they convert the photos to a certain format with photoshop.

Some do amazing scapes though and are great though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.