Halfing Pld Vs Goblins WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Halfing Pld Vs Goblins WIP

Hey everyone!

Just working on a preliminary sketch for a painting I intend to do. Working between two compositions and was hoping for some feedback. Basic concept: A cartoonish depiction of a halfling paladin fighting some goblins. The halfing is winning. It's a little violent, but that's intentional.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one on the left tells the story more definitively. If you're going for drama, why not go for the most dramatic moment?

Personally I would bring the kneeling guy toward us though, to provide more variety in the size of your shapes.

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, both of those are so chock-full of details that the lineart becomes really confusing...
    In overall quality I like the right side one better, but the left side one has much clearer action silhouette (even though the goblins are lumped bit too much together). With the right one I had to take a double look to understand what was going on, so personally I'd take the right side image, but change it to have as clear action as the left one (and move the goblins bit further away from each other).
    Also if the halfling is swinging the blade as I think he is, it would be better to have his palm face the ground.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah.. the lineart is just a guide - I plan to paint over it. They can get a tad bit messy sometimes .

So, the left side seems to be a stronger narative. It feels cluttered right now, as you guys have said. Any suggestions on how to space them apart without breaking the cohesion? I was attemtping to have their shapes make a rough upside-down triangle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd just bring the kneeling dude towards us, like he is in the right drawing and keep the beheaded guy the same size.

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It seems like an odd way to stage a fight. The halfling is wide open and not even facing his opponents. If he were among a group of goblins it might make more sense but the way it's staged now it looks like a run-by slashing.

He's also leaning away from the point of impact, making him almost seem like he's falling over. This could be a dramatic moment if the goblins had taken him by surprise, but they're dying so the overall impression is that he's an incompetent warrior being attacked by some saps even more incompetent than him.

I'd start with putting his right foot on the ground and his left on the rock. I might also give him a shield so he doesn't look like a dumbass who leaves his sides completely open to attack.

For detail, maybe experiment with the second, non-decapitated goblin being fully on the ground so that the first goblin's silhouette is a bit more clear?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

Thanks for more feedback! i will start applying some of it tonight, see what I can do to improve the image.

As far as the positioning of him goes, I know it's not ideal for a warrior but I am taking liberties for the composition. I don't want to have him at a profile or a near profile, preferring to show as much as him as I can.

That having been said, I don't want to give the impression he is incompetent, so I am going to have to see if I can come up with some sort of medium between the two.

Thanks again! Hopefully I can make this look a lot better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

I made some changes and tried to retain the original idea but incorporated as much feedback as I could (although it's still in a rough state)!

More CC is ALWAYS welcomed (and desired).

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.